3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2014 Racing Thread (Read 39 times)

RR.. last place.. sometimes thats better. Builds character.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So, spaniel, are you gonna go with a pace group?

Heh.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Heh.

I'm sure they plan to provide a pacer to run at approximately the winning time each year.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Heh.

He is the pace group.

went over to cycling and I'm following his early season on facebook.  17:19 5K, bike section at like 28mph (!!!), ~18:30 5K.

Um, wow!  Let's hope someone like him doesn't show up.

kcam

Put me down for another last minute race.  My wife has a photography shoot at the University of Nevada-Reno this Friday and Saturday so I thought I'd tag along and run the Silver State 50/50 this coming Saturday.  The main events are the 50Mile and 50KM races but there's also a trail half marathon for wimps like me - I'll be doing the trail half.

The half looks, from my road racer's perspective, very intimidating.  Elevation starts at ~4700 feet and goes to ~6100 feet.  No idea on finishing time but I'll take a rough stab at it ... at last year's race the 50-59 1st place finisher ran 1:39:10.  A little race-stalking shows that he also ran the 2013 CIM in 3:15:13 (I also ran that race in 2:59:36 though I'm not in that shape now).  Close enough for me so I'll shoot for a 1:39 or better.  Could be a sufferfest, and implosion, as I have not done well at elevation in the past.  Woohoo!

Good luck in your marathon, spaniel.

Put me down for another last minute race.  My wife has a photography shoot at the University of Nevada-Reno this Friday and Saturday so I thought I'd tag along and run the Silver State 50/50 this coming Saturday.  The main events are the 50Mile and 50KM races but there's also a trail half marathon for wimps like me - I'll be doing the trail half.

The half looks, from my road racer's perspective, very intimidating.  Elevation starts at ~4700 feet and goes to ~6100 feet.  No idea on finishing time but I'll take a rough stab at it ... at last year's race the 50-59 1st place finisher ran 1:39:10.  A little race-stalking shows that he also ran the 2013 CIM in 3:15:13 (I also ran that race in 2:59:36 though I'm not in that shape now).  Close enough for me so I'll shoot for a 1:39 or better.  Could be a sufferfest, and implosion, as I have not done well at elevation in the past.  Woohoo!

Good luck Ken, sounds like a killer at the half let alone the 50mile/50k!

& Good luck again spaniel.

For me after what will be 4 easy days:

Roth Runner, Dulwich parkun 5k, 5/17, London, UK, sub 17, get mojo back....

Just a dude.

Well, I checked out the course... I was hoping I had run part of this area as it is pretty close to where I work. But alas, I haven't run much around Peavine. The park you start in is a pretty regular for cross country races around here, and the Nevada high school state championships is there every so many years. But that only helps for the first and last half mile, maybe.

Be ready for both sandy and rocky conditions. There will be almost no tree cover. Expect wind.

Too bad I'm busy tomorrow. Would be cool to meet you/cheer you on. Or maybe even run it.

Good Luck!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

kcam

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

Kelly - I went up there this morning to pre-run part of the race.  I jogged up the trail 3miles (tough, relentless climbing) then walked another mile up, did the same on the way down -1mile walk, 3mile run down.  So a total of 8miles on the trail and maybe a little elevation acclimitization.  My conclusion: it's gonna be tough - duh!  Very rocky, loose and, as you mentioned, exposed.  On the bright side temps were very mild this morning, should be similar tomorrow.  I hope I can keep the rubber side down on the descents.  Questioning whether 1:39 is doable but i called it now i gotta run it.  Immediately after the run I drove over to Eclipse Running and bought some NB trail shoes(with rockplate) cuz my Altra Torins just weren't gonna cut it.  I'm getting pretty psyched to run it.

No chance you could get out there tomorrow and run a nice, easy 13.1 - I'd like to say hullo to another RA'r?!  If you do make it out there I'll be in black shorts, super hi-viz yellow shirt, red/white/blue hat.  Color-clash city!

Just a dude.

Unfortunately, I am busy until about 1:00 pm. Sorry.

Which is a bummer, because that would be a pretty good run for my long run tomorrow... /shrug

Good luck. With that course, about the time your lungs are ready to explode from the altitude, it will be about time to head back down the hill... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

spaniel - 5/18 - Chicagoland Marathon, Schaumburg, IL - BQ and 2:50

Weather is looking awesome for a marathon. Cards are falling in place in your favor.

Feeling the growl again

Weather is looking awesome for a marathon. Cards are falling in place in your favor.

I'm not going the have any excuses, it appears...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Had a predictable shocker at 17:28 today. But bollocks yo that, good luck spaniel tomorrow, run within yourself, it will be great to see you unleash your real potential a little down the line when people have forgotten how you can kick some serious arse.
                            WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm not going the have any excuses, it appears...

You got this. Easy Peasy. Kick some ass.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a predictable shocker at 17:28 today.

I don't understand this phrase; these seem like antonyms.

I ran an unplanned 5K today when I got out the door too late and missed my long run. It was a lot of fun.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.