3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Race thread (Read 25 times)

C-R

Hey gang. Been lurking for a long time. Too much work. Anyway plan to be in here more often so figured to start with the Aug Race

Post 'em and run like you stole something.

Name Race Date Race Name Distance Goal Result
    C-R Aug 1 Carmel for Haiti 5k 5k <20 19:50
    kencamet Aug 8 One Mile Bang 1 mi 5:36 5:43
    Roth Runner Aug 8 Wimbeldon Dash 5k <16:30 16:47
    pcaharrier Aug 15  Death Before DNF 50 miles Finish and enjoy the scenery  didn't die
    Roth Runner Aug 15 Brockwell Parkrun 5k <16:47 16:38
    Roth Runner Aug 19 Hercules Wimbledon 5k Festival 5000 16:15 16:08
    kencamet Aug 22 Race for the Arts 5k 18:59  DNS
    parklife Aug 22 UCSC XC 4 mi <23  23:21
    CliveF Aug 22 Southern Biscuit Soldier Reunion 5k <22:30  DNS
    Roth Runner Aug 22 Pekum Rye parkrun 5k <16:22 16:52

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pcaharrier

Death Before DNF 50-mile on August 15

I covered 60 miles in my 24-hour race last year, but this will be my first trail ultra with lots of elevation change. It takes place in and around the Black Mountains of North Carolina (elevations ranging from 3,000 to over 6,000 feet). Given my relative lack of opportunities to train on the kinds of climbs I'm going to face--the best I could do was a nearby bridge with a 5-6% grade--I'll be glad just to enjoy the secnery and finish this one. And not get attacked by a bear, of course.

kcam

Hey CR!  Welcome back and hey nice sub-20 to kick it all off!  Saw your post in the sub-20 5K thread.  Sign me up for a road mile on 8/9 (has a slight downhill bias) and a flat, fast 5K on 8/22

kencamet   8/9    One Mile Bang        Los Gatos, CA    1 mile    5:36

kencamet   8/22   Race for the Arts   Sacramento, CA   5K       18:59

C-R

Nice Ken. Going for that sub 19!

I checked my official time and it was 19:50. Only 51 seconds to drop off by years end.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice one C-R!

& go for it ken, you are right bang back in the game!

Time to get down to some 5k racing this month again.

8/9

Wimbledon Dash 5k

Wimbledon, UK

<16:30

I've not run the course but I've been told there's a hill in the middle otherwise I might be aiming for a PR (<16:22).

Ken, will miss you at Race for the Arts this year..

Parklife   8/22   15th Annual UCSC XC    Santa Cruz, CA   4 mile       Not Last

Hey CR!  Welcome back and hey nice sub-20 to kick it all off!  Saw your post in the sub-20 5K thread.  Sign me up for a road mile on 8/9 (has a slight downhill bias) and a flat, fast 5K on 8/22

kencamet   8/9    One Mile Bang        Los Gatos, CA    1 mile    5:36

kencamet   8/22   Race for the Arts   Sacramento, CA   5K       18:59

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

kcam

Well, isn't that something!  You're gonna be in Santa Cruz and I'll be in Sacramento ... whut whut!  It was a really hard decision for me to choose between the XC (Santa Cruz is one of the best courses on the circuit) and the Race for the Arts (a FAST but honest course).  I decided to go for the sub19 5K but I still may change my mind and run the XC.  85% chance I'm running Race for the Arts right now.  I have some key workouts coming up and I'll see whether I have any shot at all of sub-19.  If I do it'll be the RFA if not, well I'm not driving up to Sacramento to run 19:20.

... and don't give me that "not last" BS!  You'll hold your own in that race and finish at least mid-pack.  Have you ever run that course?  It's really not too bad as there aren't any steep, sustained climbs anywhere.  Just a steady climb for the first two miles and then you turnaround and fly back home via a different trail than you went up.  Last mile winds through beautiful redwood-shaded trail, very conducive to fast running.  Passing's not a problem anywhere except for the congested start.

Map / Elevation from 2014

okay okay... I researched the course, conducted interviews with participants, and googled race times. I think sub-23 is possible, which would put me in the low-30th place or so.

... and don't give me that "not last" BS!  You'll hold your own in that race and finish at least mid-pack.  Have you ever run that course?  It's really not too bad as there aren't any steep, sustained climbs anywhere.  Just a steady climb for the first two miles and then you turnaround and fly back home via a different trail than you went up.  Last mile winds through beautiful redwood-shaded trail, very conducive to fast running.  Passing's not a problem anywhere except for the congested start.

kcam

5:43 for my mile time.

I should have run a good bit better but I got the bright idea to do some lunges on Thursday.  I never do that kind of stuff and I ended up straining my hamstring where it connects up with the butt muscle (technical term).  I don't think I injured it further just couldn't really stride out on it.

Solid effort Ken.

I ran 16:47 yesterday so I was a bit ho hum about that.  The hill was a bit of a brute and it was hot but the main issue was my legs just went to pieces with a km or so to go.  The lungs were fine so I hope I can do better with fresher legs - I'm sure I'm a little fitter than this shows.

MTA: I'm looking froward to seeing your result at the UCSC XC Parklife, then you have to get on these 5k's!  We are all running out of year to get anywhere near to the magical sub 16....

Ugh.. Ken.. its much harder to run fast with an injury!

RR.. that's pretty solid. Your workouts look much fitter than that time. It will come.

I ran a mile at 4% incline and 600 pace on Friday. It sucked. I don't know how Im going to navigate this XC course. Of course now I feel dirty signing up for a USAFT event. Not sure what to do about my nike XC shoes.

Feeling the growl again

We are all running out of year to get anywhere near to the magical sub 16....

Bwahaha, I ran out of time in March.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

2 more efforts for me:

Aug 15

Brockwell Parkrun

<16:47

Aug 19

Hercules Wimbledon 5k Festival Night

Track 5k

16:15

The 5k Festival night has 5 graded races so should be super competitive.

Bwahaha, I ran out of time in March.  Big grin

Didn't run out of time, just lost an achilles.  Probably no more races for me for the rest of year.

I at least can keep the sub-17 streak going.  Got it in '09, didn't run a 5k in '10 and have had one each year since.