3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October 2015 Race Thread (Read 23 times)

It's racing time!!!

The weather's cooler, those grueling summer workouts are yielding hard-won fitness, and it's time to wail!

Date Name Race Location Dist. Goal Waffling & Whatevs Result
    10/3 CliveF Volition Mooresville NC 5k <24:00

Getting over a chest cold, so this should be interesting

Race canceled (Joaquin)
    10/4 Roth Runner Bournemouth Half Bournemouth UK HM sub-1:14 Rediscovering the half-marathon 1:13:10, 5OA + GBP75!
    10/10 Parklife Willow Hills XC Sacramento CA 5k top 50%    17:56; up and down, up and down
    10/11 C-R Shelbyville Classic XC Shelbyville TN 4k <16:00 fat and (somewhat) untrained, he says 15:51
    10/11 kencamet Primo's Run San Ramon CA 5k 19:10 Tapered and ready! 19:15 
    10/18 kencamet Humboldt Redwoods Half Weott CA HM sub-1:26 B-goal met; happy boy 1:26:44
    10/18 C-R Willow Hills XC Sacramento CA 5k (na)   16:39 = suckage? ha!
    10/24 WhoDatRunner Innominate Pigfart IN "5k" (na) Capt. Spontaneous goes racing! 26:20
    10/25 spaniel Innominate Pigfart IN "5k" (na) 20lbs fat, so who knows? 17:59 for 3.01-ish; 1OA!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Totally agree.. Its way easier to run when its not 90+ and smoky outside.

Good luck this weekend Clive!

Date Name Race Location Dist. Goal Whatevs Result
      10/10 Parklife Willow Hills XC Sacramento, CA 5k Top Half

It's racing time!!!

The weather's cooler, those grueling summer workouts are yielding hard-won fitness, and it's time to wail!

10/3 CliveF Volition Mooresville NC 5k <24:00

Getting over a chest cold, so

this should be interesting

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Yup, good luck Clive.

A half for me - it's been a while since the last one.

10/4 Roth Runner Bournemouth Half Bournemouth, UK 1/2M <1:14:00

B goal: PR (sub 1:15:22)

kcam

10/18 kencamet Humboldt Redwoods Half  Weott, CA 1/2M <1:26

Yup, good luck Clive.

A half for me - it's been a while since the last one.

10/4 Roth Runner Bournemouth Half Bournemouth, UK 1/2M <1:14:00

B goal: PR (sub 1:15:22)

Great running this weekend RR!  Looks like you smashed your goal.

5th overall, 1:13:10.  Very happy with that - I went out a bit quick (I'm guessing about 34:20-34:25 for 10k) and hung on for dear life.

£75 for 5th as well - bonus!

Natalie my other half ran a strong PR for 3rd in the women in 1:26:30 so £100 for her too!

Drinks were on us afterwards!!

kcam

PR's for both of ya!  That's a great weekend of racing.  BTW, did Natalie start running because of your running or was she always a runner?

She started because I was a semi-runner but she's probably a more natural runner than me!

Jesshh... RR.. 175 for a running weekend. Not a bad day.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

My race was canceled Thursday evening due to Hurricane Joaquin, North Carolina's declared state of emergency, and the RD's desire to free up emergency personnel that otherwise would be tied up at the race. I dunno if we send first responders all the way across the state to the Atlantic Coast. We ended up getting not much rain here, and the wind wasn't bad either.

Oh well.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

Another one for me ... last minute addition.  I've been on vacation for the past week (got in 18 miles total) so I should be 'rested'!

10/11   kencamet   Primo's Run  San Ramon, CA   5K  19:10 

Flat, fast and certified.  Woohoo!

C-R

Forgot to post. We started our XC racing series today. Shelbyville Classic. 4k. I was looking for anything under 16 because I am fat and untrained (well mostly fat).

15:51 and 2AG.

Patrick ran a 13:13 and finished 2OA. He said if he'd had another 100 yards he would have caught the leader. The interesting part is that he''s gone from 18:95 5k PR this first HS XC season to a 16:42 and based on today he's closer to a 16:30. Good grief that's a steep incline of improvement.

We race again next weekend in Columbus.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Forgot to post. We started our XC racing series today. Shelbyville Classic. 4k. I was looking for anything under 16 because I am fat and untrained (well mostly fat).

Patrick ran a 13:13 and finished 2OA. He said if he'd had another 100 yards he would have caught the leader. The interesting part is that he''s gone from 18:95 5k PR this first HS XC season to a 16:42 and based on today he's closer to a 16:30. Good grief that's a steep incline of improvement.

I ran 18:75 today in my 5K. Smile  OK, so 19:15 doesn't sound as good but I'll take it after having a 9 day vacation where I ran 18 total miles.  I have that 1/2 coming up on Sunday and I think I'm pretty well-postioned for it.

Your boy is on a tear, CR!  Enjoy watching him progress.

Feeling the growl again

So my HS PR was 17:01.  If I had known how to pace as well as your boy already does, I could perhaps have been in the 16:30s.  My college PR was 16:13.  Granted I had perhaps sub-15 potential in my late 20s, but basically you boy is showing himself to be a clear natural with potential far surpassing anything I did if he does the work.

Me, I'm hoping I can drop 20 lbs of dead weight before the next time I race him to save face.  But I'm looking forward to seeing where this talent takes him.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Me, I'm hoping I can drop 20 lbs of dead weight before the next time I race him to save face.  But I'm looking forward to seeing where this talent takes him.

Me too. It was fun to watch him take off with a clear strategy. There was a senior from a rival school running and went out strong. He faded and after the race were , "I thought he went out too fast for the conditions so I let him gas himself". Seriously that impressed me the most of all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/