3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Prince of Fatness

Nice.  So the race is upon us, no?

Yep ... race was Sunday.  Cross posted from the swamp...

1:54:00

I'm not one to follow a pacer but about 3 miles in I found myself tucked in behind the 1:55 group. The guy was running a nice steady pace. I stuck with the group until a little past mile 12 then pulled ahead and emptied the tank. I had heard the guy say that this was the first time pacing so I made sure to tell him at the finish that he did a good job.

To add a little more ....  My goal was sub 1:55.  Weather was pretty good.  Humid but cool.  I was sweating a lot but was never overheated.  I followed the 1:55 pacer for about 9 miles.  Early I was wondering if I would be able to keep up with the group but around mile 9 I started to plot my break away strategy.  The race leaves the trail at a little past mile 12.  You go over a bridge over the Lehigh River and the sidewalk is only two wide, so I broke from the group right before then as to not get held up on the bridge.  From there it was about 3/4 mile to the finish.  I ended up coming in about 45 seconds ahead of the pace group.  That may sound like I left something out on the course but I really don't think so.  I'd say that my time is a pretty good reflection of where I am now, and am pleased as it was 9 minutes better than the half that I ran last fall.  I'll take it.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Nice...I suppose I should run a race one of these years.

I just logged my run today...I've run like 6 days in the past month.  Awful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Making some progress in week #5 of Comeback #20

*  20 @ T was 7.7 MPH versus 7.4 last time

*  10x1 minute striders was at 9.2 MPH versus 9.0 last time

Most of my body could run the striders a lot faster, but not my left hamstring or my lungs ... But they will come around.

It is funny to be excited to be really slow ... but not as slow as last week.  Originally when I posted a goal of < 45 for my next race (10k on 4/14) I thought it was a pretty big stretch ~ 7:15 pace.  But, I am saying there is a chance if I can keep rolling and keep my diet, hydration and minimal alcohol going.

A wild card will be when I try to start running outside again ... not sure how my cranky knee (Right) will handle that.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Just a dude.

Cold windy day. I got out and barely beat the snow.

Did a 4 mile tempo type run at 8:01 pace. 2nd half around 25 seconds faster than the first half. Pretty happy with that...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

DoppleBock

Nice

This weekend it is in the low 50s in WI ... I cannot wait for spring.

Just a dude.

Nice

This weekend it is in the low 50s in WI ... I cannot wait for spring.

Spring would be nice. My run today was in 6-12 inches of snow. So, wet pavement, puddles, lots of slush, and a mile of fresh snow, parts so deep that I couldn't see my feet. With more snow falling. What fun!

Planned Workout for Thursday was:

("Marlin Barn O/B - 2.5 mi Tempo  //  Start tempo after 1.6 mi w/up, (after turning onto Marlin past climb) back to the house comfy hard - hoping for close to 8:00 pace")

Surpassed expectations! Expecting hard effort, I was able to slow down warm-up @ 9:43 avg.
                2.5 Tempo - 1.5 mi split @ 7:28 avg, last mile in 7:36

Barring injury, I should smash <24:00 5k goal on April 14th.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

DoppleBock

Sweet

Planned Workout for Thursday was:

("Marlin Barn O/B - 2.5 mi Tempo  //  Start tempo after 1.6 mi w/up, (after turning onto Marlin past climb) back to the house comfy hard - hoping for close to 8:00 pace")

Surpassed expectations! Expecting hard effort, I was able to slow down warm-up @ 9:43 avg.
                  2.5 Tempo - 1.5 mi split @ 7:28 avg, last mile in 7:36

Barring injury, I should smash <24:00 5k goal on April 14th.

DoppleBock

I added my 1st hill workout since I pulled of the Treadmill hills to reduce right knee pain

In the "new me"  approach - I stayed conservative - I had moderate knee pain (Tolerable) and managed 4 x 1.5 loops with a steep uphill walk, but a long downhill jog.  The point of the workout right now is to condition quads and knees for downhill running to survive the May 12th 50 mile trail race.

Back when I was in shape I ran all the loops and once did 10 each way for 20 or 30 miles and @ 6,000 feet.  Now I am very happy to get the 4 loops and not be broken today.

I will get out to the state park for hill loops once more time before the April 7th 50k fat ass.

DoppleBock

I am behind plan on weight loss and stamina so far this year.  My goals are pretty light and flexible - So I am happy to be making progress.

* I do want to string 5 good weeks together to lead up to Ice Age = Be better at pretending to be an athlete and lose 15#

*  Then more of the same the 5 weeks after Ice Age ... lose 15# more.

I am pacing my sister the last 20 miles of Western States 100 mile race June 23rd and do not want my fitness to be a distraction or fail for her.

Then Jul - Oct - Just be consistently mediocre in my training - keep making improvements as I enjoy being outside.

Then see what I can do in a marathon.

DB, you make me want to run an ultra someday. Good stuff and I appreciate you sharing your training.

It has now made me ready to add a post to the the 'Big Bodacious Goal' thread.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Just a dude.

DB, you make me want to run an ultra someday. Good stuff and I appreciate you sharing your training.

It has now made me ready to add a post to the the 'Big Bodacious Goal' thread.

Agreed. Thanks for the updates DB...

-Kelly

C-R

Well - raced my first marathon since knee surgery a couple of years back. Was trying to BQ with a sub 3:30. Weather and work had me miss lots of tempo and track workouts so I knew it would be a challenge. Kept pace through 20 and up to 23 but just didn't have the leg strength to pull it off. 3:31:25. Did give it my all and that part is satisfying.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Well - raced my first marathon since knee surgery a couple of years back. Was trying to BQ with a sub 3:30. Weather and work had me miss lots of tempo and track workouts so I knew it would be a challenge. Kept pace through 20 and up to 23 but just didn't have the leg strength to pull it off. 3:31:25. Did give it my all and that part is satisfying.

Great effort given the hiccups in training. So close but I know what you mean by it being a challenge when you miss many of he key workouts. Definitely satisfying knowing what you were able to give despite not hitting goal.  You going to try a fall marathon?  I was thinking of trying to make a good push at Indy Monumental.

C-R

Great effort given the hiccups in training. So close but I know what you mean by it being a challenge when you miss many of he key workouts. Definitely satisfying knowing what you were able to give despite not hitting goal.  You going to try a fall marathon?  I was thinking of trying to make a good push at Indy Monumental.

I got a free entry into Glass City at the end of the month so I may see how things go about halfway through that one. If good I will try and push.

I've already registered to Monumental as my fall shot. If you're thinking about it, let me know. Would be great to connect again.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/