3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2014 Race Thread (Read 43 times)

My body, really, REALLY did not want to move this morning, but somehow I accomplished the mission.

17:08.23.

Looks like it will be at least a couple weeks to the next attempt so that will probably be to get the 17:00 monkey off my back.

Getting close.  I'm sure you would have been <17 if you were a little more rested.  You ran a tougher w/o 2 days and had another double digit run yesterday.  How's the hip holding up as you've been bringing in more intensity?

Feeling the growl again

Getting close.  I'm sure you would have been <17 if you were a little more rested.  You ran a tougher w/o 2 days and had another double digit run yesterday.  How's the hip holding up as you've been bringing in more intensity?

Yeah, I'm still feeling that workout.  I need to start doubling more so my easy runs are more often in the 6-8 mile range, I do too many double digit runs to keep my mileage up.  If I'd done the race instead of that workout...having not run the day before.. I probably would have dipped under 17.

But running them under training load keeps me honest and will make the result of a real, rested race pleasant.  I'm topping off my highest mileage week in several months and still running well.

The hip is rarely an issue while running anymore.  Once in awhile there is a sharp twinge, but I work it out and it's gone.  There is a dull ache in there a lot, mostly when sitting and particularly when driving because I've got my weight right on the bad spot.  The intensity doesn't seem to bother it at all.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

My body, really, REALLY did not want to move this morning, but somehow I accomplished the mission.

17:08.23.

5:29-5:31 for 11-flat at 3200m...I was in the pain cave the next few laps and thought I was losing time, before managing to finish with a 79sec lap that was the fastest of the day.  Swore I was losing time the last 1600m but it looks like that was right about 5:30 too.

Looks like it will be at least a couple weeks to the next attempt so that will probably be to get the 17:00 monkey off my back.

That's pretty impressive. Very well paced and a really good time in a glorified time trial on a track. You would have probably been sub 17 just with a real starter's pistol and 20 people in the stands...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well done, Spaniel. You get a carrot.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Well done, Spaniel. You get a carrot.

LOL.  For those who don't get the Facebook connection, my oldest daughter came home from school very happy that she got the highest possible grade on her running test, a "carrot".  Now, WhoDat explained that it is a caret, by this 6-year-old was convinced that she had won a vegetable and that I would be super proud of her for this particular grade.  Proud enough that I should spend 2 hours with her at the McDonalds indoor playground as a reward.

What else do you expect from a kid who grows up with a quarter mile oval in their backyard with Dad timing them and cheering them on....only when they decide they want to, of course.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

C-R, you going to step up to a goal for your 4/20 stunt?

C-R

C-R, you going to step up to a goal for your 4/20 stunt?

I was thinking about this on my run today. I managed 7:30s pretty well but not sure what else is there for a call shot. Of course I will get a few miles in the morning and I will take a shot in the afternoon. Since this is the Hurtlocker I will call sub 19:20 which is better than the last BS #1 5k.

I am such a dumbass.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pcaharrier

4/26

VA 24 Hour Run for Cancer

Hampton, VA

Goal: 52.5 miles

I didn't just enter this one or forget about it until now, but I did neglect to post about it here.  52.5 is my A goal.  If I feel okay after that I'll keep going and chase the 75-mile plaque that the RD gives out.

Feeling the growl again

BS #1 5k.

I am such a dumbass.

LOL, I approve of the acronym.

And yes, we're all dumbasses.  But FWIW I've found racing soon after a marathon to turn out pretty well on the 5K/10Ks.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
                      4/19 WhoDatRunner Rock the Relay Indianapolis, IN 4 X 2.2 miles

<19:30 each lap

<78 total

They don't have the splits up on the website yet, so these are from my Garmin. I forgot to start the silly thing on my last lap, so that is a guess.

Lap 1: 18:29

Lap 2: 17:53

Lap 3: 17:55

Lap 4: 18:10

My Total: 72:27

Team Slow Motion Time: 3:50:02

Had a great time and was able to run a bit harder than I thought I'd be able. The weather was great and it wasn't very crowded. I'd definitely do it again.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

They don't have the splits up on the website yet, so these are from my Garmin. I forgot to start the silly thing on my last lap, so that is a guess.

Lap 1: 18:29

Lap 2: 17:53

Lap 3: 17:55

Lap 4: 18:10

My Total: 72:27

Team Slow Motion Time: 3:50:02

Had a great time and was able to run a bit harder than I thought I'd be able. The weather was great and it wasn't very crowded. I'd definitely do it again.

Awesome.  Looks like you hit the pacing pretty good, conservative on the first lap then pretty close to holding on but slowing just a bit by the last one.  Nice!

C-R

I was thinking about this on my run today. I managed 7:30s pretty well but not sure what else is there for a call shot. Of course I will get a few miles in the morning and I will take a shot in the afternoon. Since this is the Hurtlocker I will call sub 19:20 which is better than the last BS #1 5k.

I am such a dumbass.

Nope - nope and nope. Jogged to track. Second lap my left calf and achilles twinged and I shut it down immediately. Very conservative but I have my eye on something in June and I want to be ready. Not hurt.

I am such a dumbass.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Nope - nope and nope. Jogged to track. Second lap my left calf and achilles twinged and I shut it down immediately. Very conservative but I have my eye on something in June and I want to be ready. Not hurt.

I am such a dumbass.

No, it sounds like you did the right thing.  Better safe than sorry.

Good luck tomorrow today, peeps.

Catch your unicorns!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

an amazing likeness

04/21 milktruck - Boys Club 5 Miler, Portland ME, Goal = PR (36:5x)

36:14 for a new 5-mile PR. First PR in a while...

WTG everyone down in Boston, I'm envious, and very impressed with you all.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.