3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck Finn!  I hope that it works out well for you.

steph  

I have decided to get the surgery.  Looking back at my log, I actually ran 16 days in February and kind of liked being back into it.  Thing is that they were all short runs.  The hip hurts when sitting and I am convinced right or wrong that if I do not get this labrum repaired that I won't be able to sustain running on a regular basis.  Not that I will with the surgery but what will happen without the surgery is more of a certainty and I don't like that course.

So there you go.  Will try to get everything scheduled next week.

Is it outpatient? I ask because when my mom got her hip replaced, they did the work in the morning, and she was back home in the afternoon. Good luck!

Feeling the growl again

Good luck Finn.  I'll have to find a special bottle to send you to aid in recovery.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good luck Finn.  It sounds as though you have thought hard and made the right choice.

Thanks mbehr!  Plodding slowly on.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Prince of Fatness

Is it outpatient? I ask because when my mom got her hip replaced, they did the work in the morning, and she was back home in the afternoon. Good luck!

Not sure but I think so.  Need to meet with the guy to discuss some of these things.  I did ask a few questions last visit.  They do not dislocate the hip but instead pry it enough that he can get to the labrum.  He said that a lot of the post op soreness will be from being manipulated.  But yeah I will find all of this stuff out.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

I'm hoping for the best outcome from that surgery, Mr Finn.

I'm hoping for the best outcome from that surgery, Mr Finn.

+ a lot.  Best of luck.

Not a sucker punch, but keeping it in the thread, it's a boy, CVS was clear and it showed us its boy bits and that it has feet.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Prince of Fatness

I have decided to get the surgery.  Looking back at my log, I actually ran 16 days in February and kind of liked being back into it.  Thing is that they were all short runs.  The hip hurts when sitting and I am convinced right or wrong that if I do not get this labrum repaired that I won't be able to sustain running on a regular basis.  Not that I will with the surgery but what will happen without the surgery is more of a certainty and I don't like that course.

So there you go.  Will try to get everything scheduled next week.

Surgery is scheduled for April 10.  I had a good conversation with the surgeon and came out of it even more sure that this is the right thing to do.

I do in fact have a femoroacetabular impingement, so in addition to repairing the labrum he will reshape the bone.  What this tells me is that if I do not have the surgery things will only get worse.  Could possibly lead to hip replacement surgery at some point.  So I now see it as some chance of getting back to something normal with the surgery or no chance without.  At least I feel like I am doing the right thing.

As for same day release he said that many people stay over one night, but that cannot be scheduled for insurance reasons.  He said that it was mostly a pain management thing.  Either way it does not have to be decided until after the surgery.

Crutches for 2 weeks.  No running for 3 months.  Can do core work, biking, walking to an extent after a couple of weeks.

So this will set me back until the summer but I have been dealing with this for so long what is a couple of more months.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I do in fact have a femoroacetabular impingement, so in addition to repairing the labrum he will reshape the bone.  What this tells me is that if I do not have the surgery things will only get worse.  Could possibly lead to hip replacement surgery at some point.  So I now see it as some chance of getting back to something normal with the surgery or no chance without.  At least I feel like I am doing the right thing.

Crutches for 2 weeks.  No running for 3 months.  Can do core work, biking, walking to an extent after a couple of weeks.

Bolded #1 - I'm really glad you're confident in this.  That has to be a good feeling.

Bolded #2 - I knew you'd find a way to weasel out of the beer mile.  Big grin   We'll work on you to make a comeback next year.

As always best of luck with the surgery.  Is it going to be streaming live? Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Not a sucker punch, but keeping it in the thread, it's a boy, CVS was clear and it showed us its boy bits and that it has feet.

Awesome news!!!

And I hope the nausea is backing off for you.

Best of luck, Finn.  I am really glad that you know that it is the right thing for you, that is so important in taking this forward both pre- and post-surgery.  It also sounds as though you will have plenty to keep you active after that initial 2 week recovery.  Best of luck again.

Thanks, Spaniel.  The nausea is much better than it was, and running (when I get out) is okay other than the need to pee.  They did take other pictures too, but the foot one seemed the most bizarre...well, other than the willy and femur one.

Prince of Fatness

Not a sucker punch, but keeping it in the thread, it's a boy,

Congrats.  Not to be critical but this is one of my laments about having kids these days.  Everyone finds out the sex ahead of time.  When my wife was pregnant with our two kids we did not want to know and did not find out until they were born.

Not at it at all. 

Congrats.  Not to be critical but this is one of my laments about having kids these days.  Everyone finds out the sex ahead of time.  When my wife was pregnant with our two kids we did not want to know and did not find out until they were born.

My Mum was surprised we wanted to know and probably about half of my friends left it as a surprise.  I'm not sure we'd have found out had we not had CVS. However given the faff associated with that (and knowing they had done a full karyotype) we decided we may as well just find out and be done with it (given so much else is revealed when you know they have tested for multiple chromosomal abnormalities, you end up feeling that a lot of the testable unknowns have already been revealed).

Prince of Fatness

My Mum was surprised we wanted to know and probably about half of my friends left it as a surprise.

Understandable that older people (like me) would be surprised that people want to know.  Finding out at the time of birth was a normal thing back in the day.  We had ultrasounds and other testing but they were less revealing than they are today.  We told the techs not to tell us if they knew,

I can certainly understand the benefits of knowing ahead of time, picking out clothes, paint for the nursery, etc.

Not at it at all.