3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Not really a good workout by itself, but this was a pretty good week for me.  Over 70 miles for the first time this year... Just passed 1000 for the year... Not a lot by this group's standards, but considering I had surgery in May and didn't start running almost until July, I'm happy.

I'm also down roughly 40 pounds.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about things and I am really looking forward to next spring.  Just gotta keep putting the workouts in and working the weight down.

-Kelly

70 miles is great, but a bigger congrats on losing the 40 pounds, Kelly. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

not really a workout however I had a nice 40 mile run. Mississippi turned 40 and wanted to run 40 miles. I decided that she shouldn't do this alone though wasn't too sure that I would be able to complete the miles. Well I did and at a much faster pace then I expected. It was a good day!

Mixing it up with that Mississippi girl is trouble, heh. Nice run! 

Not really a good workout by itself, but this was a pretty good week for me.  Over 70 miles for the first time this year... Just passed 1000 for the year... Not a lot by this group's standards, but considering I had surgery in May and didn't start running almost until July, I'm happy.

I'm also down roughly 40 pounds.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good about things and I am really looking forward to next spring.  Just gotta keep putting the workouts in and working the weight down.

-Kelly

Holy shit, thats great on both fronts. I need to get on that train.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Just a dude.

Thanks for all the replies.  In some ways I agree that losing the 40 pounds is great, but to me it's frustrating that I let those 40 pounds get on in the first place.  I've just barely worked my way under 200. I probably have 30 more pounds to go to be in really good running shape. I was 155ish in college.

I feel like I'm just trying to catch up to what many of you do all the time, and take for granted. I felt happy running a fairly hard 8 miles at sub 7:30 pace. I'm looking forward to that same run being done in 6:30s instead.  Long ways to go, but I'm slowly working my way there.

Lots of people here are doing cool things. It's a pretty good place to be.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

My two cents: Abusing yourself about gaining the 40 pounds is wasted energy.  Focus on what actions you are going to take next. Onward!

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for all the replies.  In some ways I agree that losing the 40 pounds is great, but to me it's frustrating that I let those 40 pounds get on in the first place.  I've just barely worked my way under 200. I probably have 30 more pounds to go to be in really good running shape. I was 155ish in college.

Nads is right, you can't undo the past, so don't let it frustrate you.  I'm in a similar boat as you.  When I was injured last year wasn't running for 3 months and put on 15 - 20 pounds.  Half of it is still there even being back running for a year now.  If you slip up and have a bad day don't sweat it.  Just try to have more good days than bad.  You'll get there with time.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The baby got sent back to the hospital last night, and we just got him home again this afternoon, so I was pretty drained today.  But you don't give up a chance to do a workout when it's 55 degrees and sunny in January.

8X800 with 90sec recovery.  Started 2:33, ended 2:31, 2:34-2:36 for all in between, for 2:34.25 average.  Back in the good ol' days I'd have been pissed starting off the season with anything over 2:30 average, but this puts me at or ahead of last year's fitness level at this time.  Given the crap I did from March-November last year, I've got to be pretty happy with this as a first real interval workout in 11 months.  I think it was a good sign that I was really able to elevate the perceived lactate level yet keep holding the pace; I know last year I would have started missing my splits if I'd have felt the way I did today.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I hope it wasn't anything serious he had to go back for.

Glad to see a good start to what will hopefully be a great 2012. You seemed to be a bit frustrated with illness and injuries last year. The crazy December stunt seems to be paying off. I just got back from a 4 mile tempo run. I had planned on a 10:00 pace, but ended up with an 8:44 pace. That's a good bit faster than my 5K PR pace. It ended up being more effort than a tempo pace, but definitely not race effort.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Wow.  Nice tempo run ra.  That's some PR kicking.  I'm really excited by what you're going to do at your next 5k (after all this is the start of your training)!

I second ra's comments about hoping it was nothing serious to go back to hospital for.  Nice session too, Spaniel, and glad you're feeling positive about it too (which I'm pretty sure is key to a lot of this running stuff).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Just bilirubin. He is fine now, thanks. Dang ra, you just set a 5k PR in a tempo run. Time to find a race. You are only scratching the surface, it will be a great year.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Good to hear Spaniel. I had a great workout today cleverly disguised as a Disney marathon. Look out Bean Town.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Good to hear Spaniel. I had a great workout today cleverly disguised as a Disney marathon. Look out Bean Town.

When you'll rolling, just keep your foot on the gas.

Just bilirubin. He is fine now, thanks. Dang ra, you just set a 5k PR in a tempo run. Time to find a race. You are only scratching the surface, it will be a great year.

Good to hear it's nothing serious with the little guy.

Had another workout this week that absolutely killed my legs for the weekend.  Did 5 x mile on an indoor track.  Averaged 5:14 for the splits.  My hammies were pretty sore and are finally just starting to get better today.

Glad to hear baby is doing well Spaniel!

Nice workouts going on.  I had one actually 2 myself yesterday. My 5k felt AWESOME despite the heavy load of miles I've been doing. And I got what I think is considered the "runners high" during my long run yesterday or it could have been from the gu I had at mile 10 or so. Not long after having the gu (don't normally have one during a 16 miler however I had no calories in me for the day but a piece of bread and it was the afternoon) I felt like my head was in the clouds and that whatever tiredness or pain that was in my body wasn't too be felt until AFTER the feeling was gone so I went with it and sped up. The miles felt like they just clicked on by while I enjoyed looking at the scenery and listening to my ipod. Not a fast workout or anything but I felt like if I felt that come March if I can find that place during the ultra that would be awesome! I felt like I could run for the rest of the day at the pace I was doing.

Oh and according to the the Recovery Indicator on my Masters Coach training plan I am Fully Recovered - Go forth and conquer, or so it says

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Oh and according to the the Recovery Indicator on my Masters Coach training plan I am Fully Recovered - Go forth and conquer, or so it says

I'm curioius what this whole Recovery Indicator thing is?