3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November Racing Thread (Read 1186 times)

That was just crazy stupid hard. Got it done, missed the sub 10. 10:07, and I can absolutely live with it. Everything hurts, a LOT. Got a pretty cool finisher's jacket out of the deal though, so there's that.

CONGRATS!!! Recover well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

11/13 - Inaugural Pell Bridge 4 miler, Newport, RI - 34:00

11/20 - Flying Monkey Marathon - 5:30

Just a dude.

11/19  - South Tahoe Turkey Trot - 5k

Goal - Bring home a Turkey.

Course is at 6500 feet elevation... I've never seen it or anything, but I expect it's trails... It could be covered in snow or who knows what... it is Lake Tahoe in mid November.  I doubt the course is accurate.

But, winner of each age group gets a turkey.  2nd and 3rd get pies.  My goal is win my age group...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Course is at 6500 feet elevation... I've never seen it or anything, but I expect it's trails... It could be covered in snow or who knows what... it is Lake Tahoe in mid November.  I doubt the course is accurate.

But, winner of each age group gets a turkey.  2nd and 3rd get pies.  My goal is win my age group...

-Kelly

Awesome, good luck!  My hometown used to have a small local race where 1st AG was turkey, 2nd was pie, 3rd was cider.  Entry fee was $5!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just a dude.

Awesome, good luck!  My hometown used to have a small local race where 1st AG was turkey, 2nd was pie, 3rd was cider.  Entry fee was $5!

Same kind of thing here... entry fee is $2 and a canned good...

Sounds like it will be fun...

-Kelly

DoppleBock

Sadly I am out for Monkey - Work scheduled a meeting I want to and have to be at 1st think Monday morning.  I need to be fresh and energenic for the meeting its with President and VPs.

So - I will find a nice short race to run ... it has been 5-6 years since I ran a 5k hard.  I know it will be ugly ... I have only run 3-4 5ks seriously in the last 8 years.  I have only broken 18 once.  So I am guessing I should be right @ 6:00 pace. or 18:30.

Dopplebock - 11/27 - Noodlini 5k - Depere, WI < 18:30

Funny, I am pretty sure I could run a 2:52 marathon, but I have little to no confidence in breaking 18:30 in the 5k

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

My wife would probably prefer a pie Wink

Good luck!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

We'll miss ya, big guy.  Good luck with the high-powered meeting.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I was scared to post any goals as my training was not what is necessary to run a marathon. 

HHFMM A- Goal 4:10, but more realistically looking at 4:15 which will be a 17 minute PR

Feeling the growl again

We didn't post about our races in here but Ben and I ran NY yesterday.

He did great. Finished in 2:28:44 and 7th american male (31st overall)

I went for sub 3 and epically blew up. Rough second half after a 1:30 1st half. Finished 3:11.

Just saw this.  Big congrats to Ben, good try on the sub-3.  Now you know how much fitness you need to gain to dip under next time.  The marathon is a cruel bitch when you over-reach even a little.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive - soldier marathon  11/12 columbus ga.   first marathon.  <4 hrs.  or break myself trying.

Chip time:  4:01:11  I don't think that I broke my self...

steph  

Chip time:  4:01:11  I don't think that I broke my self...

CONGRATS ON AGA! And glad to hear you didn't break yourself!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Stone Mill 50 on Nov 19. Goal = finish, preferably faster than last year (12hrs) but at least as happy as last year. (I was wired after last year's, and walking around and stuff -- mostly looking for food & drink -- instead of being in a hurry to sit down.)

Done. Not much faster, but several miles longer than last year, which was several miles long. (It may be a fiendish plan to work us all into a 100K eventually.) Soreness in hips and legs hit me fairly early, but mile 15 I think, so had some doubts I'd finish, but running with a friend really helped (and also helped pull me out of the aid stations), and I finished, with a slight time improvement over last year.

Like last year, was wired afterward--probably the million grams of sugar that I ingested, primarily through soda, were a factor. Was out with DW cheering in runners, and we went into the woods for a little while to help direct them out of the final turn toward the big uphill at the end,  which I had found the most confusing part when I finished. I could hear people cheering, then I could see this huge hill and people at the top, but I couldn't understand them very well, and couldn't figure out where to go. Turns out most of the runners were equally confused, slogging and wending back and forth up the hill, whilst the spectators loudly yelled at them, trying to get them to sprint right up. From the POV of being a spectator, it was quite entertaining, I discovered.

We stayed a couple more hours until some friends finished--and finally got to sleep about 24hrs after we woke up.

PS: Don't know my time, but my buddy thought I finished around 11:28.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just a dude.

-Kelly

Course ended up being a .8 mile bike path that was probably 30-40% covered in snow. It was 3 laps, so the race was 2.4 miles instead of 5k. Dunno if it's accurate at all, but was probably close. Pretty flat overall, slight down the first half and slight up the second.

My age group was 17+. I was hoping for 40+ or something. There were probably 50 people in the race, and over half of them were kids. Some kids were only doing one lap.

At the start the kids took off like crazy. Not unexpected really. I worked my way up through most of them over the first lap. Time was 4:42. Second lap was mostly try to maintain my speed. It was clear there was one teenager I wasn't gonna catch. He was probably 30 plus meters ahead and looked really relaxed. My second lap was 4:48 Third lap I started lapping people, so that helped mentally some, but caused a couple issues with footing when passing. Last lap was 4:50 for a total of 14:20... Did have a bit of a kick at the end.

Found out later that the kid was under 17, so I did end up winning the turkey. Mission accomplished. Fun overall day. They had lots of races for kids that were like 50 meters up to 200 thru the parking lot. I'd like to do this one again next year...

-Kelly

(MTA: Formatting)

C-R

Nice job on turkey Kelly.

Flying Monkey Marathon today - it rained cats and dogs. 3:47 3:48:04 officially still a new PR and change. Forgot to look or stop my watch and was too busy to look at the clock. Good run

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/