3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

Roth and WhoDat--congrats on the PRs!

C-R, like the attitude.  Embrace the training. Find the magic in the misery.

E_rainrun... just... damn.

Everyone else: good luck on the upcoming races.

I'd adding another trail 50K this month.  <5 hours this time, I hope.  That should hurt just about right.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

Also a fail from me, 35:56.  Partially the course, partially me being a fatigued going in.  Turns out 80% of the course was properly off road including a number of sections on grass, plus plenty of rutted farm tracks.  Got geezered for the geezer prize with about half a mile to go, but hey ho, a lovely day for it.  Am definitely in worse shape than a couple of months back so its time to get some speed back.

MTA, nice going Erain & Happyfeet (& kencamet for the 5k Saturday).

kcam

Another swing and a miss.  18:43 for my 5K.  You'd think I'd be big-time disappointed (as I ran 18:40 last year at this rac3e) but Sunday was the best I've felt in weeks (why didn't I run any faster - I don't know).  I felt completely in control going down the hill to the turnaround and didn't feel like I was struggling back up the hill to the finish.  Again, it doesn't jive with why, if I felt so good, I didn't push harder and run faster.  Races are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get (my original thought for the day).  I felt so good that after the race I ran over 9 miles of very serious mountain trails as a 'cooldown'!   I think I'm primed for a very good long-distance race, maybe a 1/2 or marathon.  I've got a 10K coming Memorial Day and may, MAY, jump in a HM between now and then.

RR - Way to go on that sub-17!  10K ... you had a good run on a tough course - schedule up another one on a decent course and I'd bet on you to come through with that PR.

Happyfeet - way to get out there and race - that's why we train as opposed to just running, afterall.

Did anyone watch the Kentucky Derby?  Palace Malice took it out so fast and gapped the field quickly but, like human racers, I was pretty sure PM just went out too fast and would be reeled back in.  Exciting race.

Modified to remove some exclamation marks.  Too many just seems desparate!  Ooops.

... and to add this  RW article on racing

From the article:

"There is yet another variable in this equation: desire. Tommy Schmitz, a 3:39 1500m runner, says he has to care deeply about the results. "Importance matters," he says. "You have to care enough to want to put 100 percent out there."

Maybe I just didn't care enough about the results of this race - I knew I wasn't going to beat the top guys in my AG at this distance, I was going to miss another race in the short series (so I have no chance at getting comp'd next year) - just didn't have that extra motivation?  Or just don't have that ability to override the pain signals?  Sometimes I think the latter is one of my biggest problems.  Happyfeet - I think racing often, especially if you want to do well at the 5K, really helps with this issue.

Walk-Jogger

E_rainrun, "running for two" is definitely hardcore! Nice!

WhoDat, a PR is a PR, take it and be happy and know that you left yourself room to get another one soon! Congrats!

Clive, sorry about the knee problem. Having had a knee lock up on me this past Saturday for the better part of a day, I can feel your pain...

Roth, 16:50, woohoo, nice!!

C_R, you'll get it nex ttime.

Happyfeet; what Ken said.

Ken - words of wisdom, about that RW article on racing. I have a huge problem while I'm racing hard with that little voice in my head that keeps telling me to slow down, it doesn't matter if I pass the next guy or stay ahead of the person behind me. I care enough before and after the race to want an A/G win, but during the race, my resolve sags drastically and I have to fight it every step of the way, to avoid pulling over to the side of the road and walking..

Retired &  Loving It

Happyfeet - way to get out there and race - that's why we train as opposed to just running, afterall.

... and to add this  RW article on racing

From the article:

"There is yet another variable in this equation: desire. Tommy Schmitz, a 3:39 1500m runner, says he has to care deeply about the results. "Importance matters," he says. "You have to care enough to want to put 100 percent out there."

Maybe I just didn't care enough about the results of this race - I knew I wasn't going to beat the top guys in my AG at this distance, I was going to miss another race in the short series (so I have no chance at getting comp'd next year) - just didn't have that extra motivation?  Or just don't have that ability to override the pain signals?  Sometimes I think the latter is one of my biggest problems.  Happyfeet - I think racing often, especially if you want to do well at the 5K, really helps with this issue.

Thanks Ken,  Desire/motivation and getting intimate with the uncomfortable feeling.  Noted.

P.S I even started talking smack with some of the faster guys and hope they will mock me enough if I don't back up the words.

kcam

That last part (... and to add, etc) was meant more as a reflection on why I couldn't run faster even though I didn't feel too bad in my race and not particularly for you.

It's good that you get 'in the mix' with the guys because that'll motivate you as well.  I think having rivals that are within your grasp or even slightly behind you is REALLY motivating.  I'm lucky to have several in the PA USATF races.  I know them and they know me, lot of fun competing with them.

Walk-Jogger

Bloomsday 12K Sunday: 47:45 official time, 216th  place over-all out of 47,126 or so finishers, and 2nd place age-group M55-59.

I came within a gnat's whisker of a DNS after having my left knee lock up on Saturday. It seemed better Sunday morning and I took a chance and raced on it. 

Original goal was <47:00, modified to <48:00 after missing 4 weeks of solid training and racing due to injury,  only doing cross-training and then trying too hard too catch up this past week.  My time was rather slow to be taking 2nd in the A/G for this race, but I think the heat must have slowed most people down some, as times seem to be slower than last year. Rick Becker showed up and beat me by 3 minutes to take the A/G win, and his time was 2 minutes slower than last year. Mine was 1:06 slower than last year.

Had I been able to run a few tempo runs and other races in April I'm fairly sure I would have run right around 47:00, my original goal time.

They spelled my last name wrong in the results, but I came so close to DNS 'ing this race, that I can't really get too upset about that. 

http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/results/all-finishers?yr=2013&bn=2635

MTA: Forgot to mention, I was carried off the course on a stretcher to the medical tent, which is my preferred method of exiting the finish chutes, apparently. This makes two years in a row, except last year it was a wheelchair and not a stretcher. I like to leave it ALL out there on the final sprint to the timing mats...

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Congrats on a great race.  Very hurtlocker!

xhristopher

I threw my back out last Thursday. I could hardly walk this past weekend. Drank lots of beer instead.

Put me down for the Maine Coast Marathon next weekend. Gonna try for BQ-10.

Let's try this again ...

5/4 CliveF - TWAM Mission Run 5k - Salisbury NC - sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I hope to finish this hard someday, Cecil.  Fantastic race.

MTA: Forgot to mention, I was carried off the course on a stretcher to the medical tent, which is my preferred method of exiting the finish chutes, apparently. This makes two years in a row, except last year it was a wheelchair and not a stretcher. I like to leave it ALL out there on the final sprint to the timing mats...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

Assuming you mean on 5/10 based on my Google-fu?  Good luck.  I'm chasing the sub-19 monkey next week.

Let's try this again ...

5/4 CliveF - TWAM Mission Run 5k - Salisbury NC - sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

Emil Zatopek

I guess exiting in a hearse would be REALLY hard core, but unfortunately it's a one-time event.

I threw my back out last Thursday. I could hardly walk this past weekend. Drank lots of beer instead.

Put me down for the Maine Coast Marathon next weekend. Gonna try for BQ-10.

I'm not running, but planning on coming down and hurling obscenities and abuse at my local running buddies as they pass by. If I see ya I'll throw some your way for good luck. So, if you hear something like "X, MOVE YOUR ASS!!!", you'll know it's me heh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Glad to be back mosey'n with my bunny ears! Looks like some Pr's  out there, good to see some familiar faces.  Greg C, I guess we are going up to Pineland Farms Fri,  Tmorin is racing Sunday, I'll be out there Sat!

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2