3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October Racing Thread (Read 1318 times)

Just a dude.

10/8 - Cancer Firken Sucks 5k - Carson City, NV.

Goal 21:45 (7 min pace). 

This race was my last race last year before I just couldn't take the problems with my ankle anymore.  9 months off... ankle surgery... 25 extra pounds... I'm hoping to be less than 4 minutes slower... Undecided

Not really tapering or anything on this one.  Just gonna go get a feel for where I'm at.

This is also my daughter's first 5k. She decided she wants to run a marathon, so we've been training together for a couple months. I think if things go well, she will finish in about 35 or 36 minutes... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I didn't post my goal or anything, but I had a pretty decent 10 mile race yesterday. 1:07:58. Not really on par with what I hope to do in the marathon, but felt like I ran well.

When have your shorter distance times EVER matched up with your marathons?

Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

When have your shorter distance times EVER matched up with your marathons?

Smile

IK, R?

I didn't post my goal or anything, but I had a pretty decent 10 mile race yesterday. 1:07:58. Not really on par with what I hope to do in the marathon, but felt like I ran well.

Considering you didn't taper and rolled right through, you did run well and had a 2+ min PR out of it.  At least the hammy held out OK for you.  I had two set-backs this summer with the hammy.  They are a bitch.  Nice job with the PR on a hilly course!  By the time November rolls around, you will be ready.

Thanks Smile I did actually run a 1:08 once during a 25k. But official, yea, this was a 2 min PR.

The hamstring is just more annoying than anything. It is mostly present the entire time during easy runs....just a dull achey feeling, kind of pulls a bit. During fast runs its fine until the end of them...when it gets really tight. I think I don't feel it at first on fast runs because i'm lifting my leg higher (?) and then I just overwork the damaged part and it tightens once fatigued. 

Anyway, yea, my coach sent me an email that basically said the same thing. How once I get through the next couple of weeks of tough training that is scheduled, and then taper...I should be set.

Hope so Smile

Just a dude.

10/8 - Cancer Firken Sucks 5k - Carson City, NV.

Goal 21:45 (7 min pace). 

This race was my last race last year before I just couldn't take the problems with my ankle anymore.  9 months off... ankle surgery... 25 extra pounds... I'm hoping to be less than 4 minutes slower... Undecided

Not really tapering or anything on this one.  Just gonna go get a feel for where I'm at.

This is also my daughter's first 5k. She decided she wants to run a marathon, so we've been training together for a couple months. I think if things go well, she will finish in about 35 or 36 minutes... 

-Kelly

Finished up with a 20:26 by my watch.  Mile splits were 6:37, 6:37, 7:12(for the 1.1)

Ended up with 8th overall I think, and 2nd in the AG.  Only frustrating thing is I was at the back of a pack of 6 others in the last half mile and just couldn't close on any of them... Just didn't have a kick to speak of.  

Very happy with the time and the overall effort.

My daughter was also very pleased... She was at right about 35 minutes but was pretty strong and picking people off at the end.  I think it was a motivating type run for her...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

October 8- 10k - goal: sub 35

i'm in terrible shape.  using this as more of a fitness indicator than anything else, as well as for a little fun. it seems that it's been forever since i last raced.

ran 34:24. course was a little short, (6.13 or so), but that would still put me right around 35 flat for 10k and maybe a little under.  

effort was solid, though i went out a little fast.  overall, it was just good to get out there again.

Feeling the growl again

10/2

Maine Marathon

Portland, ME

2:35 and/or podium

10/16

Baystate Marathon

Lowell, MA

2:35

Sometimes life gets in the way...

Sorry, I just caught this and updated for you.  I was so eager to know how your marathon was going to turn out that I got impatient waiting for your report so I went looking for your results from Maine (where a 2:35 would have won) and finally saw your edit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I am unsure of the change - But 4:53

2:27 / 2:26

Nice day for a run in the woods - smiled most the day

Race was won by a woman in 4:12 (I think) - She now holds the course record for the 50k and 50M

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

2:41:34. More to come later.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Feeling the growl again

Hell of a first marathon....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Nice one indeed!  Looking forward to hearing more of the details on how things went.

Typed a great race report only to lose it when I lost my internet connection.  Long story, short:

Fueling went fine - gatorade, gatorade, gu, skip, repeat

PR'd for the half in 1:17:30 (1:24:04 for the 2nd half)

I slowed down because my body just wasn't ready for the pounding.  Had awful cramping from mile 21 - 23.

Great weather, great course.  Need a lot of work, but I'll learn from my mistakes and look to make some improvememnts for next year.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Feeling the growl again

I slowed down because my body just wasn't ready for the pounding.  Had awful cramping from mile 21 - 23.

Great weather, great course.  Need a lot of work, but I'll learn from my mistakes and look to make some improvememnts for next year.

I'm a bit surprised by the cramping given how well you trained....but it happens.  Did you run it in flats by chance?

Sounds like you toughed it out and held pace pretty well for those kinds of issues.