3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June Racing Thread (Read 1282 times)

Feeling the growl again

My daughter was diagnosed with Mono this spring at the start of track season (early March?) and I started to feel lathargic, tired, fatigued about mid-April.

I think I read that you had mono earlier this spring. Did you feel like you ran out of oxygen quickly at a relatively slow pace when you ran and have a higher then normal HR? What was runninng with mono like for you, symptom and effects on workouts wise?

I don't know what my HR was.  For me, I could do moderate distance easy runs (~8 miles, 54-56min) just fine, but after only a couple minutes at tempo pace I would be ready to lay down in the ditch and take a nap.  I had absolutely no stamina.  At the worst I did 1/2 mile of an intended tempo run, and had to stop and walk a couple times on the two miles home as it was too far to jog...I'd felt fine until I tried to run fast.

After 5-6 weeks more or less off training to try and recover, I ran Boston.  I knew that I would be OK if I wasn't sleeping in the me tent by 10 miles in.  I did not expect the quad issues but I was happy I escaped the extraordinary lack of stamina.  Since easy running did not easily bring out my symptoms I had no way of knowing how I'd fare until I actually got into the race.

The fatigue issues I referenced in another thread today are totally different, I've been over the mono since before Boston.  What I have now and have for several years is some sort of endocrine or CFS pain in the ass.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

rabutler -- 6/28 -- Tuesday Night Trail Series 5K, Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, IN --  <31:00

Tentative depending on the weather and picking the wife up from the airport.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Jun 19, 10K, goal = beat PR of 39:12 and beat AG competitor

Will probably have more races later, including some midweek track races if I can just get them organized and scheduled.

Jun 19 RESULT

Jun 19 race went really well overall. Warmed up w AG competitor and raced most of the race on his shoulder or with him. I went out too fast (or so I thought), and he caught me about 0.5mi, and then I was tired, and starting to slow, but focused on staying with him. I gave up my pace goal (6:00-6:10) at that point and just was happy to stick w him ~ 6:14 pace, cause that would still put me at a PR.

We picked up another guy before the turnaround - he said he wanted to break his habit of going out too fast and dying, so he was gonna pace with us, so we had a nice 3-person group rolling along, and we passed some people from miles 3 on.

I & my AG competitor both ran very negative splits to big PRs -- 1:30 PR for me, w a 37:41 finish, and an AG win, because I picked up the pace from 5.5 in, alone.

I wouldn't have done so well if I hadn't had someone to run with, and I was very happy with that.

The uneven splits (*) do suggest that I might be able to do better if I could go faster in the opening miles, but those sure seemed difficult at the time.

* 6:07,6:14,6:14,5:59,5:56,5:53

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

UPCOMING RACES

Jun 29 - hope to race the mile, hope to PR -- thunderstorms predicted, however, so we might have to call it off

Jun 30 - will race either 400 or 3000 - undecided which - will shoot to PR whichever - 3000 would be easier (and is probably a once-in-a-year opportunity at the distance)

Feeling the growl again

I & my AG competitor both ran very negative splits to big PRs -- 1:30 PR for me, w a 37:41 finish, and an AG win, because I picked up the pace from 5.5 in, alone.

Dude...that's awesome.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Jun 19 RESULT

Jun 19 race went really well overall. Warmed up w AG competitor and raced most of the race on his shoulder or with him. I went out too fast (or so I thought), and he caught me about 0.5mi, and then I was tired, and starting to slow, but focused on staying with him. I gave up my pace goal (6:00-6:10) at that point and just was happy to stick w him ~ 6:14 pace, cause that would still put me at a PR.

We picked up another guy before the turnaround - he said he wanted to break his habit of going out too fast and dying, so he was gonna pace with us, so we had a nice 3-person group rolling along, and we passed some people from miles 3 on.

I wouldn't have done so well if I hadn't had someone to run with, and I was very happy with that.

The uneven splits (*) do suggest that I might be able to do better if I could go faster in the opening miles, but those sure seemed difficult at the time.

Nice going, AP.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Great job AP!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

If you were not such a slacker you would have been sub 37 ... congrats on the big PR!  So basically you toyed with him and then threw him out like yesterday's trash?

Jun 19 RESULT

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

If you were not such a slacker you would have been sub 37 ... congrats on the big PR!  So basically you toyed with him and then threw him out like yesterday's trash?

I did the same thing to a competitor on Saturday, except he was 9. Yeah I outkicked a 9 year old.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

I did the same thing to a competitor on Saturday, except he was 9. Yeah I outkicked a 9 year old.

I had a shitty run yesterday...Central Park, hot, and traveling just does not agree with my sleeping or running.

Around 8 miles in I was about to turn off and head back to the hotel when I slogged past some dude, doing around my 7min/mile slog pace.  Just another one of several hundred people I passed.  However he took it personally for some reason and sped up to keep a shoulder in front of me.  Not wanting to be paranoid I just sped up very, very slowly to make sure.  Yup, no matter what I did he matched it.

So I kicked it in another gear and dropped the hammer.  He tried to go so I hammered harder.  About 1/8 mile later as we got down to around 5:20 pace he started to fade so I hit the turbo for a couple hundred yards to make sure he never saw me again.  I guess it says how fat and slow I now look that I even got into this.

This happens to me all the time...only not at 5:20 mi/pace Wink It seems like any time I pass a man they get all offended and don't take me seriously....until I smoke their ass. Women never seem to do it when I pass them. Probably because it's not as demasculating.

My favorite is when some guy blows past me and then half a mile later I pass them while their doubled over holding their knees or something. There are just way too many douche bags in the world.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... So basically you toyed with him and then threw him out like yesterday's trash?

And here I thought I was a nice guy. Gee. That's too much painful self-discovery. I'm heading out to track soon.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This happens to me all the time...

What you need is one of them shirts "I run like a girl. Try to keep up".   Just to increase the insult and injury with which you leave them behind Smile

I was going to get  this shirt: http://www.chicked.com/?page_id=455 

But then I was afraid i'd have to get a running skirt to go with it, so I didn't.

I was going to get  this shirt: http://www.chicked.com/?page_id=455 

But then I was afraid i'd have to get a running skirt to go with it, so I didn't.

Awww, there's even something for the fellas!

~Sara
                                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan