3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2013 Goals Summarized (Read 617 times)

Walk-Jogger

Goal #3, Bloomsday 12K <47:00, fail. Ran 47:45.

Goal #2, 80%+ Age-grade times, doing OK there so far:

1 mile,   5:28, age-graded 82.2% *

5k,        18:50, age-graded 83%  *

10k,      39:35 age-graded 82.9%

12K,     47:45 age-graded 83.1%; 

HM,   1:26:09 age-graded 82.6% *

* I was still 57 for that race, so need to do another one fast this year at age 58. 

Retired &  Loving It

IAT 50 mile result = 7:19 so looks like a fail on my first goal of the year.

Prince of Fatness

1 - Lose weight.

2 - Be diligent with core work.

3 - Run a respectable race time (not sure what that is yet)

I had forgotten what I put down here.  This still applies for the most part.  How am I doing?

1 - I suck at this. I have a mini vacation planned for June and when I get back I am going on Weight Watchers.

2 - I have only missed one scheduled session all year.  Between that and the rowing core is a positive.

3 - Still the plan, but since I am not running much it will be shorter races and it will not happen until the fall.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

Well, I think I can check off the second goal of the three.  "PR at distances > 5K and < marathon".  This morning completed that one with a 10K PR.  That makes 4mile, 10K, 12K and 10mile PR's this year.  This is thanks to our  Pace Bunny who is doing a fine job keeping up that 10 miles per day.  Thanks guys for helping to motivate me to up my training this year - it's helped me quite a bit.  Onwards!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Got the marathon PR. Did not get the 10mi PR. DNS'ing the goal 10K this weekend (family stuff).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Technically, I failed the 2nd goal as well - 2:56:38.  My racing schedule and ultra goals didn't really allow for much marathon specific training so this was not a typical goal race.  That said, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance, it was definitely hurt locker effort and I was actually competing for a top 3 spot.

Now on to the 100 miler.  Serious training starts next week, just in time for the heat.  I will eventually choose a time goal but it is way to early for that.  Depending on who shows up, a top 5 finish my be possible as well.

Prince of Fatness

You can add me, but I am not putting any numbers down...

1 - Lose weight.

2 - Be diligent with core work.

3 - Run a respectable race time (not sure what that is yet)

1 - Find out WTF is wrong with my hip.

Thanks.

Revised.

Not at it at all. 

Tallbackanator

1. Top 5 at States XC

2. 15:18 5k

3. Kill David Yarborough

I look my best blurry!

1. get back into shape

2. not break any bones

3. not be afraid before every run

4. run

I haven't been really posting at all, because running, work (teaching--insert giant excuse about having two more preps this year plus a ton of extra paperwork from the new teacher evaluations system), and attempting to sleep have pretty much blown out my free time.

I do read and log-stalk, though.  Most of you are more inspiring than you realize.

I did have a great training cycle for my fall goal race.  Consistent mileage, decent workouts, and a ton (for me) of strength training.  I can bench over my body weight for the first time since I was 16.

My original 2013 goal of sub-90 was officially too soft--this most recent half was a 1:24:27 on a rough, windy day, so that goal is long gone.  I'm also counting myself done with the sub-40 10K goal, as I did that in the second half of the half marathon.

I still have not run a sub-19 5K, though.  Heck, my 5K PR is a 19:50.  My most recent was a 19:52.  Given my half time...this is sort of hilarious.

I should probably sign up for a 5K.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

#1) 10K or 10mi PR

#2) 400m or 1mi PR

#3) marathon PR

* Failed (twice) at 10mi and (once) at 10K. Got an unexpected 40s PR at 5mi late in fall as consolation prize.

* After several much slower miles, got a surprising & exciting 6s PR in mile. (Thought first quarter was too fast; turned to be slowest). (400 was just a backup plan as I figured I wouldn't get mile; didn't really care about 400.)

* Got 6min marathon PR, but missed breaking 3 by a couple minutes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

Well 2013 is still young, but I don't think 100M < 20:00 is going to happen. That was supposed to be Rocky Raccoon, last month, but I ran just under 22. M < 2:55 was supposed to be Boston, but that won't happen either. Can't get over this hamstring thing.

There's a chance for both in the fall, marathon more likely than 100M. If I run another 100 this year it will probably be Cascade Crest, and no way will I run that under 20 hours.

So yeah, I made neither of those goals. Funny thing, even with the hamstring, I still did PR at Boston (2:58:14). That was before the hamstring totally shut me down.

In addition to the below goals for 2014, I am tentatively planning on a sub-20 100 miler, at Umstead, in April. But if it's not easy, I won't push it; it's primarily training for Western States.

xhristopher

Xhris M < 3:00            

Fail. There's always next year, I suppose.

On the bright side I had 4 PRs (5K w/ stroller, 10K, HM, & 30K). I'm on track to run my highest yearly mileage total. I'm also on track to finish 52 in 52. Running a minimum of 13.1 every week has become a habit and the key to that HM PR and many other things. I can't complain.

My 2014 goal is my 2013 goal. I'm stubborn.

xhristopher

So yeah, I made neither of those goals. Funny thing, even with the hamstring, I still did PR at Boston (2:58:14). That was before the hamstring totally shut me down.

A bipolar year. I had that in 2011. As odd as it sounds, somehow I think the time off gave me space to reflect on how to be a better runner and eventually paid off. I hope you are able to find something positive from your time off too.

I so forgot about this thread.  I'll update soon with results so far, there's yet time to realize some of the goals