3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Doldrums and Committment (Read 50 times)

DoppleBock

I finally understand a small piece of myself.

When I am committed to a goal (race) with such focus that it is "the filter" which all life decisions go through ... I can train.  When I am just "running" and am casually interested in success at a race or calendar year I will not train.

It is about when you hit a doldrum and the wind is gone.  You don't want to ... the last thing you want to do is your run.

I think this means I am not a true runner - But a "Trainer" or "Competitor"

I have a goal (Race) right now ... I am trying to make the proper mental committment to it.

4 years ago it would be a laughable goal - Now it is big and bodacious.

The goal:  Run 101 miles at FANS 24 June 3-4 in 2017.  Why 101?  In three years at Fans I have run 399.X miles.  Why is the goal big?  When you weigh 284 pounds and cannot run for 3 miles straight and have 153 days (Jan 1st) to reach goal shape.

How do I know I am not 100% committed?  I have not asked my wife to take 1/2 day of vacation on Friday to come help crew me.  I feel like I need to get down < 250# to prove my committment ... But this is ass backward the "Committment" will get me to lose weight.

Well enough messed up banter ... Any one out there fully committed to a race this year?

PS - 4 years ago I would never anounce the goal - Being in my head was enough.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go get it, brother!

Last couple years I have tried to do the Barkley Fall Classic in September. I was neither fit nor trained. I think it finally clicked and I am hungry for it. Been a good near 50 days streaking already. Streaking keeps me moving and motivated.

237 days until the race. Only 30% finish each year. And each year, Laz tweaks the course to make it harder...

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm with you, brother.  Training moves running to the top of the priority list.  And as I usually lay out a specific plan of daily runs, it makes it so there is no longer a daily choice of whether to run or not: just become a willing slave to the plan.  I think the same mentality goes for streakers.  Without a goal race, there are plenty of things I'd rather do than running -- like sitting on my duff.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

I hear you and I agree across the board.

I'm running more and more but it's still not enough.  I'm more running to keep from gaining more weight (and hopefully lose some) than anything else.  Too much playing daddy and traveling for work.  There's a gap in my log a couple weeks ago because I was buried in the bowels of a hotel having 12-14 hours of meetings per day and never saw daylight.

I didn't run today.  It was the most beautiful day in months.  I ended up building a model rocked with my kids and launching it until we ran out of motors.  I wouldn't have traded that for a run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The day is not over.

5:38 pm here. Dark. Just getting off work. Hope to be running in the next few minutes.

ISO model rocket tho

I didn't run today.  It was the most beautiful day in months.  I ended up building a model rocked with my kids and launching it until we ran out of motors.  I wouldn't have traded that for a run.

Feeling the growl again

The day is not over.

5:38 pm here. Dark. Just getting off work. Hope to be running in the next few minutes.

ISO model rocket tho

Dinner, people over, baths, and kids sleeping next to treadmill.  The last of those is part of the problem, especially with morning runs.  Working to remedy that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is a treadmill?

I ran outside this evening in the rain and dark. Without a shirt because it was nice and warm. In January.

.. But this is ass backward the "Committment" will get me to lose weight.

This is the most important part of your thinking at this point.  Let's face it, the act of running would not be the hard part if you were at your typical weight.  However, running at the "new" weight is a whole different world.  With each pound that melts away through running (and diet), the act itself will become easier, and will feel more like it did.  The real goal is not the race....it's the opportunity to get back to where you can make decisions about participating in races, without worrying about commitment.

Keep your eyes on the real goal, which may be see what your running (mileage, or time) will do for you so that you can get back to your normal racing weight where all racing is rewarding and fun.

Feeling the growl again

What is a treadmill?

I ran outside this evening in the rain and dark. Without a shirt because it was nice and warm. In January.

You've been to my house.  No streetlights, no shoulders, nobody expecting pedestrians on the road after dark.  After several close calls with a headlamp I rarely roll the dice.

And that pesky issue that I do not have a child old enough to legally watch the rest of their siblings while I duck out the door for a run.

The minute I have a kid old enough to babysit their siblings, my treadmill will get half the mileage.  It's not the weather that keeps me indoors. I ran in college in a place where winter meant 300 inches of snow.

And my post mentioned morning runs, not evening.  Wink  My wife and I split duties, I handle the morning routine to get them out the door and she does all evening activities.  So I could run outside in the dark if I want to get up about 4:45, since I have to be back and waking them up at 6:20.  No-go.  Or I can get them more self-sufficient so when I wake them up at 6:20 they can do what they need to do while I get to running, so I can still get done, get them on the bus at 7, and be in the car by 7:30.  That's what I'm working on.  If one little future third world dictator can get to the point I don't have to ride her the whole time.

The King of Beasts

No streetlights, no shoulders, nobody expecting pedestrians on the road after dark.  After several close calls 

Since moving to the country I got a treadmill for the runs I need to get in - early morning & evening.  I can run from my office but from my house it is crazy dangerous.

Still got most of my workouts done outside.  but the TM saves time not having to drive to start a run.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

I run the TM a lot in the winter - Judge away if you want.

I am also a Gallowalker - Judge away if you want

I am fat - Judge away if you want

I am from Wisconsin - Judge away if you want

I tend to drink too much - Judge away if you want

I voted for Trump (Or could not vote for Hilary) - Judge away if you want

I actually want to give Trump a chance before I judge his Presidency - Judge away if you want

I feel other people should express their views, but not attack mine - Judge away if you want

I have given up on the "Swamp" - Judge away if you want

I only care about God's judgement.

The King of Beasts

All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.

(pretty sure that's Rod Dixon)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Amen to that ... stupid work.

All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.

(pretty sure that's Rod Dixon)

C-R

This thread delivers.

I too have a goal but its for the fall. Until then i will toil and buold andaccept my reality until i can crush it with the new one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I have a goal (Race) right now ... I am trying to make the proper mental committment to it.

4 years ago it would be a laughable goal - Now it is big and bodacious.

The goal:  Run 101 miles at FANS 24 June 3-4 in 2017.  Why 101?  In three years at Fans I have run 399.X miles.  Why is the goal big?  When you weigh 284 pounds and cannot run for 3 miles straight and have 153 days (Jan 1st) to reach goal shape.

How do I know I am not 100% committed?  I have not asked my wife to take 1/2 day of vacation on Friday to come help crew me.  I feel like I need to get down < 250# to prove my committment ... But this is ass backward the "Committment" will get me to lose weight.

Well enough messed up banter ... Any one out there fully committed to a race this year?

PS - 4 years ago I would never anounce the goal - Being in my head was enough.

I am clawing my way back to fitness so I don't quite believe in myself enough to make a big, bodacious goal yet.  Until that point I will log-stalk and streak-run to gain motivation.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt