3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So is it feasible to race the 1500 and the 3000 at world indoors? Cause I assume they're sending Genzebe Dibaba in something....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Anybody following what is going on with USATF Indoor Nationals in the 1500m?  They establish standards.  Start with just one heat.  22 women and 18 men qualify.  Can you imagine fields of those size, in a one-heat final, on a 200m indoor track?

Neither can USATF.

So, for the men at least, they split it into two heats.  Note, not two semis and a final.  No, an exhibition slow heat that does not qualify for Worlds, and a genuine national championship heat.

Worse, there is serious contention about how people are assigned to heats.  The process and reasons are not transparent, and there are serious questions as to why some people with slower times are in the fast heat and some faster people with World qualifier times are in the slow heat with no opportunity to compete for Worlds.

Pre would roll over in his grave, thinking he defeated the corruption in his time only to have it as bad as ever today.  I have no respect for USATF, and this is only the most recent example.  How hard would it be to add a semi round and then a final.  AAU=USATF.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I dont know much about the real races but from a junior perspective I have had a hell of a time getting my son registered for his races. It dies not fill me with confidence that the USATF kniws what they are doing. So I get the worries about real racing. Seems like someine needs to grab thsm by the balls and offer some leadership on behalf of the athletes.

MTA: Seems my typing skills on my new tablet aren't that good. Fat fingered indeed.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

Imaging the flap if the "fast" heat is all slow and tactical, and someone from the "slow" race runs the fasted time of the day.

I read an article that says that they are doing the same with the women, and there are also curiousities as to who is assigned to which heat.

Also, there are several of the 1500 runners also in the 3000. I bet somewhere between 2 and 8 men drop out after the 3000.

I fully agree that they should run a round of heats and a final. Heck, run 3 heats of 8ish runners so there is lots of room to run, take top 2 in each heat plus the 4 fastest times. Run a final 2 days later with 10 people.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Bloody hell, what a cluster fark of a meet.  Someone needs to smack Salazar down a couple rungs, I've now totally lost respect for him.  Between his tantrum at Shumacher and the BS interference call favoring Hasay, unbelievable.  Basically she got a light rub and proptly blew up and was a non-factor anyways, then after 3 appeals (first two denied DQ) to go ahead and DQ the winner for King Salazar even though nothing short of strapping a rocket pack to Hasay would have kept her in the running.

Embarassing for the sport.  Good thing nobody watches I guess.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

lagwagon

Bloody hell, what a cluster fark of a meet.  Someone needs to smack Salazar down a couple rungs, I've now totally lost respect for him.  Between his tantrum at Shumacher and the BS interference call favoring Hasay, unbelievable.  Basically she got a light rub and proptly blew up and was a non-factor anyways, then after 3 appeals (first two denied DQ) to go ahead and DQ the winner for King Salazar even though nothing short of strapping a rocket pack to Hasay would have kept her in the running.

I agree with you that the infraction didnt seem significant enough to me to justify a DQ.

However I really thought Gabe ran recklessly and without any degree of self awareness.  she tried to pass Jordan and others on the rail several times in the 3-4 laps before the bell without enough space to do so.  her clipping jordan was morale hazard at best, and likely worse...and then the way she ran right up literally into shannon 50 meters later was completely inexcusable given rowbury's position.  lucky she hasnt hurt anyone.

that said, while I really dont like the way she raced, I dont think the interference was significant enough to call a DQ, Jordan was basically done, but I could understand a DQ if it were the officials' honest call.  It really couldve gone either way imho.

The thing that stinks though is the whole AlSal tantrum, second appeal, reversal bit.  Does seem like the officials caved to him.  Its insane that this stuff can happen at this level of athletics and in this day and age.  It'll be interesting to see what comes of it when all is said and done.  But Letsrun was surely entertaining today.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Couple notes I saw browsing letsrun threads:

Why does Gabe run like that anyway?

Our best 3000 women weren't there - Simpson & Conley. (I don't know anything about this.)

We haven't got anyone who can run like G. Dibaba right now - nor does anyone else.

But, then again, this was another slow jog with a sprint finish - I dunno what G. Dibaba's sprint is like.

C-R

Just watched the race. Since I'm not a former competitive guy, i have no idea if it was interference. Hasay definitely lost stride but she looked like she was toast and I know when I'm that tired a fart in the second row could cause me to stumble.

I thought I saw a Simpson name tag in the field but perhaps that was a different person. Agreed that none of that crew was going to get a Dibaba time and that was this year from the pre race header. So good luck to the two going to Worlds on chasing her.

I read a couple of LetsRun articles and aside for their dislike of AlSal in their writings, it does seem very odd that the field judges didn't think it was a foul, the initial higher review didn't think it was a foul and the initial 3 judge panel didn't think it was a foul. But then they come back and rule a foul. The articles indicated that the Nike people were all over the tent and that the other side did not have the same access. If that's true, that brings the US racing governing body into disrepute and slimes the sport in our country. Third world crap. I'm sure more will come out but right now this smells like a five day old fish.

And someone at Nike better get AlSal under control or keep him out of altitude. I know he's competitive but he seems to be from what I read as a simple bully with deep pockets. Shame really.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

On the other hand, maybe this is just how we try to catch up with the Kenyans -- we bring some Kenyan-style politicking into our national team selection.

Smile

C-R

On the other hand, maybe this is just how we try to catch up with the Kenyans -- we bring some Kenyan-style politicking into our national team selection.

Smile

Yeah but politics ain't gonna make our people faster. Just more devious.

Feeling the growl again

On the question of a foul in competition -- this I have some experience with.  I've raced USATF Nationals (in an exhibition event, the DMR, and I was not even the one who ran the qualifier to deserve to be there -- but I could travel...so I've been there even if I didn't really deserve it...but I digress).

Contact =/= foul.  People are running fast and close together, contact is a virtual certainty.  This is only compounded on the tighter confines of an indoor track.  For example, when we were running USATF, we were well-positioned on the opening 1200m leg and then another team took our guy completely out....down on the side of the track.  He got back up and we lost time (don't ask me how he ran a 63 with a fall) but no foul was called.

Passing is very hard on an indoor track.  People are going to HAVE to be more aggressive than outdoor.  That's just part of the game.  Think, at that speed, how long they are on a straightaway...not many seconds to complete a pass.

I'm not a ref but from my understanding as a competitor, calling a foul involves both intent and the degree to which the other athlete was impeded in a meaningful way.  I saw no reason in this case to think it was intentional.  Also, Hasay was flaming out and anyone who tries to argue that this materially impacted the end result of the race is fooling themselves.  So no intent....no real impact on the race....a DQ is a BS call in my book.   Bumping is racing to some extent, when Solinsky came off the track a few years back covered in blood from being spiked multiple times did he cry to his coach and get a DQ for somebody?  Nope.

It is very hard to tell on TV as there is no depth perception, but I would hazard a guess that part of the reason she ran up on Hasay was because Hasay was flaming out and she did not expect it, so she ran up on her much quicker than she thought she would.

I mean, it's not like she pursued Hasay across the track, wrapped her in a bear hug, and threw her to the mondo.  I have experience with that too and apparently that's not a foul either.  Wink

C-R

And USATF rescinds the DQ.

The right thing to do IMO but lots of egg on non-runners faces from this one.

Feeling the growl again

And USATF rescinds the DQ.

The right thing to do IMO but lots of egg on non-runners faces from this one.

Yup.  Embarrassing.

Just a dude.

Sounds like Jordan Hasay asked to have the protest rescinded.

If that's true, then Alberto looks like a jerk, but Jordan at least looks decent.  And USATF just always finds ways to look bad... :-/

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like Jordan Hasay asked to have the protest rescinded.

If that's true, then Alberto looks like a jerk, but Jordan at least looks decent.  And USATF just always finds ways to look bad... :-/

-Kelly

Concise summary.