3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

To summarize, road racing is significantly different from track, especially indoor track. On the roads, a lot of contact is to be expected, possibly even involving throwing someone down. But indoors on the track, don't touch the runner in front of you, especially if they're getting tired.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

On the roads, a lot of contact is to be expected, possibly even involving throwing someone down. 

That only happens in central Indiana where its part running and demolition derby.

Ya know what they say - Rubbin's Racin.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

Nick is full of good ideas.

@NickSymmonds: I want to take Coach Shoemaker and Coach Salazar fishing. There is nothing that a few beers and some crazy salmon can't fix.

@NickSymmonds: Coach Jerry Schumacher, not "Shoemaker". Apologies to one of the finest T&F coaches in the world! But seriously, lets go fishing.

Feeling the growl again

And now we have Bambalough being DQ'd for...apparently, nothing at all, except that Salazar thought he did something, but picked out the wrong guy.  And Salazar going ape on Lomong.

WTF is wrong with that man??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

And now we have Bambalough being DQ'd for...apparently, nothing at all, except that Salazar thought he did something, but picked out the wrong guy.  And Salazar going ape on Lomong.

WTF is wrong with that man??

Pressure doesn't make character it reveals the true character. In this case = douche

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Just a dude.

I wonder if secretly Alberto has some kind of quota going on. Like he is expected to get 6 athletes to worlds. Or he gets a $10,000 bonus for each one. Or something like that.

I have heard he is pretty intense and hard headed. According to an article I read, he practically passed out before Galen and company could get him to go to the hospital to get his heart issues dealt with. He ended up with a pacemaker/ICD. The story went on to show how much Alberto slowed down and spent more time with his kids and stuff. I guess that was a temporary thing... :-/

As for USATF, I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the culture there. Its like they aren't in charge, and only care about their public perception. They are not proactive at all. Its like: "Oh, you say there was a foul? Ok, NOW we will look at it. We did something wrong? How much outcry is there? Will it look worse that we change our mind, or will it look worse that we messed up? Let's just hope it all goes away really quick. How can we find a way to make the issue go away?"

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

So Cain is now out of worlds due to a dodgy calf. Unfortunate timing for an injury.

Feeling the growl again

So Cain is now out of worlds due to a dodgy calf. Unfortunate timing for an injury.

Yup.  She's got bigger fish to fry, so smart to step back even if it's a bit questionable.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I know its an easy target but I wonder if those ball buster workouts have anything to do with her injuries. Seems like he's making them ride the edge too closely.

Feeling the growl again

I know its an easy target but I wonder if those ball buster workouts have anything to do with her injuries. Seems like he's making them ride the edge too closely.

Anything related to Salazar is an easy target now.  Big grin  I held my tongue on that myself.

C-R

Anything related to Salazar is an easy target now.  Big grin  I held my tongue on that myself.

Exactly. I know so little about "real" running that it feels like mob mentality and a cheap shot. He is known to push to the extreme from his own books so one has to wonder about athletes blindly following him down a path to destruction.

Either way it makes a great fodder for the grist mill.

Levins over Rupp would be fun.

And we run because we like it
                          Through the broad bright land

We got the US feed of the NYC half this morning in the UK which was great to see for Mo in his build up to London.  But my god, what kind of commentary was that today?!!!  The guy calling the race (as far as I could tell it was Tom Tucker from Family Guy) was so poor!  He blatantly didn't have clue about running, he spent most of the commentary calling Geoffrey Mutai the 'Raptor'!  And after Mo fell they never had a camera on 2nd/3rd for 15 minutes, Mo could have been in the shower as far as I knew.  & what about splits between 1st/2nd and 3rd for the next 30 minutes?!  Sorry to moan but we are very lucky in the UK to have Steve Cram & Co calling races...

Feeling the growl again

We got the US feed of the NYC half this morning in the UK which was great to see for Mo in his build up to London.  But my god, what kind of commentary was that today?!!!  The guy calling the race (as far as I could tell it was Tom Tucker from Family Guy) was so poor!  He blatantly didn't have clue about running, he spent most of the commentary calling Geoffrey Mutai the 'Raptor'!  And after Mo fell they never had a camera on 2nd/3rd for 15 minutes, Mo could have been in the shower as far as I knew.  & what about splits between 1st/2nd and 3rd for the next 30 minutes?!  Sorry to moan but we are very lucky in the UK to have Steve Cram & Co calling races...

It is rare to see good commentary on running races in the US.  One thing I liked about the recent Winter Olympics was that even sucky NBC got former competitors in most events to do the commentating.  It made a BIG difference in the watch-ability...when the commentator can read the skier, for example, and predict what is going to happen next.

It would be nice for the big road races if they could get someone like Culpepper or DeHaven or someone to come in and do commentary.

It is rare to see good commentary on running races in the US.  One thing I liked about the recent Winter Olympics was that even sucky NBC got former competitors in most events to do the commentating.  It made a BIG difference in the watch-ability...when the commentator can read the skier, for example, and predict what is going to happen next.

It would be nice for the big road races if they could get someone like Culpepper or DeHaven or someone to come in and do commentary.

Yes it makes a big difference if you get some old pros in with some real insight.  We are starting to get Paula Radcliffe doing some of the analysis now which is really good and we often get Michael Johnson on the BBC for championships for the sprints.

Tough one for Mo yesterday, but at least it may have dampened expectations before London.  It was good to see G.Mutai back running well though.  London is going to be a serious serious race at the sharp end.