3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

In the shorter races their fast-twitch and anaerobic advantages more than make up for the extra weight....and if some of that extra weight gives them more power that's great too.  In the longer races none of those things are advantages but the weight is a big negative.

I knew there was some physiological reason.

I learned that my upper body has no power. Yep. That's what I learned last night. Good thing my core is okay-ish because I otherwise would have looked like I was trying to play limbo.

For me it's the saggy, flat mom-butts. I can't let them beat me.

Yea, sometimes those beat me in marathons.

Its like seriously, do some lunges. Wink

Feeling the growl again

I learned that my upper body has no power.

Heh.  Over-rated.  Even when I was benching in the mid-200s (long ago and far away) I completely sucked at mid-distance.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just wait until you start having that kind of reaction when it's someone significantly younger than you...

Wait, was this you getting pissed that the young guy in orange passed you??

DoppleBock

I have inspired many a skinny runner that was wimping out on the pain meter.  At the finish line they say it a little more politically correct, but translated: "Man, I saw you passing me and working so hard and I thought, I can't let a fat ass like that beat me!  You are really fast for a fat ass."

Just a loose transaltion.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

chicked

fogied

mom'd

chunkied

youngstered

strollered

Need a nice collection of photos to illustrate each of these

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This past week, on one of my short runs on a greenway, I did a few pickups at the end.  On the last one I passed a mom pushing a double stroller, and when I slowed down after passing her, I must have made a real nice impression.   

chicked

fogied

mom'd

chunkied

youngstered

strollered

Didn't I just post a "fogied" pic? You know that guy in orange is looking at him because he's all "WTF, seriously? This dude?"

That pic is from last night...I was looking for ones of myself because i'm vain.

strollered

This is always a good one.  I've run two races (5k) with the stroller and have always had great ambitions of going sub-18 pushing a stroller.  One of the races, the courses was way short and they weren't even ready at the finish when I came by.  The clock read 14-something and 2nd place didn't come through for about 2 minutes or so. 

The other one, I went through the first mile in 5:35 and when I came up on this young kid, he put a burst of speed on and took a step to the left right in front of me.  Almost took the little shit out once he got in front of me and put the brakes on.  I kindly swerved around him and never saw him again.  So I guess I strollered a youngster.  Ended up with an 18:36.  I know I can bust that time now but the kids are only getting bigger and heavier.

Photos would be good for each though.

There's a local 5k in September that I've seen this one dude push an adult in a stroller.  He always finishing right around 19 min.  I always see that an think how damn hard that's gotta be.

Feeling the growl again

Wait, was this you getting pissed that the young guy in orange passed you??

Get off my lawn, little lady.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

This is always a good one.  I've run two races (5k) with the stroller and have always had great ambitions of going sub-18 pushing a stroller.  One of the races, the courses was way short and they weren't even ready at the finish when I came by.  The clock read 14-something and 2nd place didn't come through for about 2 minutes or so. 

The other one, I went through the first mile in 5:35 and when I came up on this young kid, he put a burst of speed on and took a step to the left right in front of me.  Almost took the little shit out once he got in front of me and put the brakes on.  I kindly swerved around him and never saw him again.  So I guess I strollered a youngster.  Ended up with an 18:36.  I know I can bust that time now but the kids are only getting bigger and heavier.

Photos would be good for each though.

There's a local 5k in September that I've seen this one dude push an adult in a stroller.  He always finishing right around 19 min.  I always see that an think how damn hard that's gotta be.

I don't think mine tracks quite straight enough or I'd try it.

Certified - unfortunately no.  Mapped it twice and came up with 3.08 both times.  So looks to be a little short.  The course went through my subdivision so I knew the roads quite well. Call it slightly over 16???  Either way, I'm happy how it went and felt good throughout.  I can tell I pushed it out there with how I'm feeling now.  I miss that post racing type of feeling.

Got the DW a Garmin for her B-Day this week so I finally got to try the watch this weekend.  Ran the 5k course from the race on the 1st and came up with 3.0 on the route that I ran.  The result has been bugging me since I know I'm not sub-16 shape yet.  I just know it.  With that, either call it a 15:58 (official time) 3-mile race or compensated 16:34 5k.  I can't accept the 15:58 as a 5k result.  Please change it on the overall results on the 1st page. 

20:26. Just pulled on my Candice socks and am thinking about the next one.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Got the DW a Garmin for her B-Day this week so I finally got to try the watch this weekend.  Ran the 5k course from the race on the 1st and came up with 3.0 on the route that I ran.  The result has been bugging me since I know I'm not sub-16 shape yet.  I just know it.  With that, either call it a 15:58 (official time) 3-mile race or compensated 16:34 5k.  I can't accept the 15:58 as a 5k result.  Please change it on the overall results on the 1st page. 

Done.

That sucks, I was hoping you'd just really surprised yourself with your conditioning...it happens.  

Back in my hometown there was a Thanksgiving 5K I ran every year with my old CC coach as the RD.  He always admitted the first mile marker was short but that the full course was accurate.  It was a flat, fast course, but year after year me and my buddies always ran slow on it.  I ran in college with another local buddy, so we frequently both ran that race.  The last few years we were both running 15:30-15:50 elsewhere, but nobody every cracked 16 on that course.

A year after I ran it the last time, Garmins started to come out and I got a 201.  I must have ran that course half a dozen times; each time it came out within a couple hundredths of 3.2.  I had a couple runnings of that course that would have been PRs or close to it at the time, had it not been long.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

chicked

fogied

mom'd

chunkied

youngstered

strollered

All of these are a regular occurrence for me, but I really hate being strollered.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.