50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning. Included the high school bleachers in the middle. 10 sets of up and down 25 bleachers. Then 3 laps on the track. Running on the track surface was nice. Then another 10 set of up and down. Needless to say, the second time on the bleachers was slower.

Chantilly - Rush. One of my favorite bands. I had expected the phone battery to last longer than 2 hours. I might try my old Garmin GPS and see how that does.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Everybody is pretty busy!!

Monday - 5.4 miles on the elliptical, progressive hill program at level 7, followed by 4.6 miles on the spin cycle.

Tuesday - 4.9 miles on the elliptical, progressive hill program at level 7 with 20 minutes in the middle at level 10.  Sweat was pouring off me by the time I finished.

Art in AZ

8 miles running then a little work with the weights. Rained yesterday evening so the humidity felt high. The first 4 miles were under the sun and felt brutal. Was soaking wet after the first mile and felt fatigued already. Luckily I had to stop before crossing a couple of streets so had a chance to rest for a few. Then the sun went behind the clouds, the wind picked up and it felt better to run. Had to stop at the same streets on the way back.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

adkkev Sounds like a good workout on the elliptical.

Art in AZ The bleacher run sounds pretty difficult.

Only had time for 2 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

1.35 miles on the arc trainer (also known as the self torture device) ... followed by 8.15 miles on the spinning cycle.  The arc trainer really gives you quite a work out ... I'm hoping that it helps with my uphill hiking!

After a few days of muggy weather the humidity has left us so it's actually quite cool outside tonight.

justrundan

Dances with Dirt RR

weather cooperated last Saturday, to a certain extent.  Cooler than originally predicted, but slightly warmer than last year.

started out in the last wave since mile 0.5-2.5 is all uphill and didn't want to get in the way of many other on the single track trail.  I should have started at front of last wave though, as I ran into 3 people walking in the first half mile before we got to the long hill!    I was able to run a little and walk a lot during that 2 mile hill, didn't want to burn too much and not be able to finish.  Good thing, I didn't have much left at the end anyway. 

Mostly rolling terrain the next 2 miles, with a long area where trail is mostly rocks sticking up out of the dirt, with little room to land except on those rocks. had to slow down a lot on that, and walk part that was steep downhill.

I did wear a water holder for first time, and it went well, didn't seem to bother me or become uncomfortable.

after crossing state hwy to Devil's Lake state park there was several miles of flat to rolling terrain, and able to pass a number of folks along the way.  Mile 6-7 they made a slight change, and it made that long uphill part longer and steeper!  They are always looking for new ways to 'challenge' the runners. 

after the water stop at the edge of the bluff (with amazing view, several stopped for pics!) I passed all those and kept going since I know this part well.  Good downhill section over next mile, then another long uphill I walked.  Crossed over hwy again with about 4.5 miles to finish, really feeling spent by now!  walking all the uphills now, running flats and downhills.  passing a few people.  The steep downhill with all the rocks that I walked down I now had to walk up. slowly...

The last 2 miles mostly downhill, but some so steep hard to go fast and keep under control, and avoid roots and rock.

Barely jogging the last 1/2 mile, but able to speed up a little the last 300 yds.

last year on first attempt time was 2:54:50. had hoped to break 2:50, but came across chip time at 2:51:20.  given the mileage I did in the last 6 weeks, I was very satisfied.  I stayed upright, with no trips or near sprains from landing wrong.  However, I was 6/6 in my age group, after being 3/5 last year.  I'm fine with that.  After passing quite a few I'l probably start at front of last wave or back of second wave next year.

I don't know if I'll look for more trail races, but hope to do this one again next year.

I've basically taken this week off from running; leaving Sunday for a week in northern WI, Boulder Jct/Minocqua area, with DW's family.  Hope to fish and run most mornings!     Not sure what internet access will be like, so I may be even quieter than usual.

You all have a great weekend.

You all have

Dan

Chantilly75

justrundan Congratulations on your race!  You improved even with the lower training miles lately. Have fun "up north"

3 miles after breakfast.

3 miles after lunch.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Nice race Dan!!  I always enjoy trail runs ... no matter what time I end up with.  I think they have a completely different "vibe" than road races.

5.3+ miles on the elliptical at the gym this afternoon ... progressive hill program.  Legs felt pretty good during this session ... worked up a good sweat, that's for sure.

Dinner & evening fun with our granddaughter ... water gun fight followed by a serenade of songs from Frozen.  While in her Elsa dress.  And tiara.  And gloves.  She does pretty good for a 3 1/2 yr old!!

Taking tomorrow off from work ... we'll probably go canoeing because the weather sounds great!!!

rmcj001

Quick note from Nanjing...

Dan - nice race! Any time you lower your course record is a win in my book. How well we do compared to everyone else is so dependent on who shows up. Conditions were worse and you bettered last year's time! Awesome job!

Couple days on the train so a couple of days off. 2 5K runs on TM today.  Couldn't figure out how to switch to miles so had to do speed ccalculations in my head. Monday, or was it Tuesday, did 4 miles on TM before we left Shanghai. Trip is almost done... It will be nice to get out of the humidity, currently raining and foggy.  Sorry for typos and such - using phone and auto-correct doesn't always do what I expect...

Ray

justrundan

I  get a daily 'new word' from an online dictionary; today's was:

superannuated

Definition

adjective

1 :

outmoded, old-fashioned  

a :

incapacitated or disqualified for active duty by advanced age  

b :

older than the typical member of a specified group

So when we are in a race, we are in the 'superannuated'  (2b) category! 

We are certainly not outmoded, old-fashioned or incapacitated!

adkkev- I agree about the 'different vibe' at trail races.  I enjoy it.

Ray- that's quite a trip!  Enjoy running on the other side of the world.

Chantilly- nice double, as usual!

Dan

Art in AZ

3 miles Thursday morning. Legs felt a little stiff.

8 mile bike ride to rest the legs some and try the phone GPS again. Turned off the voice part but doubt that would make much difference on a longer ride. Will try my Garmin next time. Chance of rain this weekend from the remnants of the hurricane.

Chantilly - The first set wasn't too bad. It was the second set I decided to do.

adkkev - I had to look up arc trainer. What a machine. Fun time with the granddaughter. Funny that none of the granddaughters here really got into the Frozen thing. They enjoyed the movie but that's about it.

Dan - Good job on the race and nice report. Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to start. I agree getting stuck behind someone on a narrow trial can be frustrating. You now have a year to train more on the course so think of what next year can be.

Ray - Rainy and foggy. What a change huh? Too bad it's not over here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

We decided to go hiking today instead of canoeing ... so it was 3+ miles up & then down Crane Mtn in the Adirondacks.  In keeping with the general Adirondack trail motto, "switchbacks are for pussies", the trail goes straight up the side of the mtn, 1100+ ft of elevation gain in one mile.  Lots of rock scrambling ... & two ladders (one of which is 25' long) get you to the top.  Views were awesome even though it had gotten a bit cloudy by the time we got to the summit.  We took another trail down but it meets up with the other trail with .7 mile left to go to the trailhead.  Of course that was straight down ... I think it's harder coming down like that than climbing up it!!  All in all a fine day & a great workout,.  I think the gym workouts have really helped.

adkkev

looking up the trail ...

adkkev

Jackie climbing the second ladder ...

adkkev

one of the views from the top ...