50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning under cloudy skies.

Debating whether to do a long run or go on a long 'bagel' bike ride. Decisions, Decisions.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Good to be back. Long return trip but lucky that most of it was under cloudy sky, with rainstorm through Montana Wed/Thurs.  Arrived around 6 pm Friday in Trout Lake, WA.  I set up tent, met my 'neighbors' and we all had a 'greet and meet' pot luck dinner with all the runners who were camping.  They were mostly from around the state of WA.  Decent night's sleep considering the two hour time zone difference.

So I need to let you all know that I made a last minute decision.  I decided to run my FIRST 50K trail race at this event instead of a trail marathon.  YES!! my first 50k which is 31 miles!!

RR:  I felt good Saturday morning when all twenty 50k runners started at 7 am. The first 5 miles were an 'out and back' and then we followed the trail marathoners and marathon relay runners who started at 7:30 am.  There are 4 different loops we have to finish with the highest elevation around 3500 ft. which was not a big deal to me.  But within 3 miles, my camelback hydration back pac begin to leak!!  Darn it!!  I took it off and got it back on the way back on this 'out and back' part.  I got rid of the water but kept the back pac as it contain my gels and salt tabs, etc. So I had no water except for my handheld bottle which I was grateful I had.  I felt it would hold me till the first aid station.  I started to pass runners after 8 miles.  I'm feeling good; I filled up my bottle at first aid station. He told me the next one is within 4 miles. I wasn't surprised that I found myself all alone.  However, i found myself at a crossroads with 4 different routes.  The 'map' was useless.  I ran for about a mile twice, both times I found no trail markers so I had to run back!!  Finally saw a couple of colored 'streamers' and followed that for OVER an hour, about 4 hilly miles!!  By this time, I'm out of water.  Finally, I saw a truck with a couple of guys who happened to be aid station volunteers just beginning to set up.  But it turns out it was the last aid station on the RETURN loop!!  They called the course organizer.  And I was taken back to the first aid station!!  I had to start again from there.  With the 4+ miles I already ran, that would add another 3 miles says the organizer.  So instead of 31 miles, my total miles would be 38+ MILES!!  I was so PISSED with myself ...... took a deep breath after being dropped off ..........and then I SCREAMED to let out my frustration.  It's not like this is my first TRAIL run!!   Ok, change of attitude and strategy.  "Suck it up" and just finish "one mile at a time."  The second loop was okay, passed a couple of runners.  But the 3rd loop was brutal with the endless hill climb for at least 5 miles.  I had to rest for 30 minutes at aid station.  I took my gels and salt tabs every 30 minutes, had something to eat at every aid station.  Poured water over my head.  On the fourth loop, I passed at least 4 runners (don't know if they were 50k, marathoners or relay runner, really didn't care).  Also, by then, I was not taking any photos/videos with my GoPro either which I had on with my head strap. I was sweating like crazy so I took it off and strapped it to my backpac. It was 90 degrees plus and sunny but trees provided some shade, no breeze.  Didn't see other runners for miles at a time.  The trail course was very hilly:  short and steep and long and gradual hills through the National Park with high grass and sandy portions.  Knowing that I was 'lost' early in the race took the 'fun' out of it so I was trying to run to make up time.  "Enjoy the view" so I ran "10 minutes and walked 1 minute." The last 4 miles were brutal with one last steep hill!!  "Are you frigging kidding me?!?" What kind of psycho does that!?!" I took a deep breath and ran half way up and had to walk the rest. I passed 2 runners within those last miles.  Finally, I could see the finish line.  But on the last gradual hill, my left calf begin to cramp!! OH NO!!  I massaged it, ran, massaged it, ran, etc.  I made it across the finished line around 7 hrs., 18 minutes.  About 1.5 hrs LONGER than I had planned to.  But I finished 38+ miles!!  I'm an ULTRA-marathoner!! YIPPEE!!  Correction:  Results shows that I finished 12th out of 22 runners.  3rd out of 6 runners in my AG (50-59).  I wasn't the only one who got 'lost' at the same crossroads.  AT least 4 others did but many relay team runners got lost and gave up.  One runner ran for almost 20 miles, most of it without water until she found some residents who took her back to the camp.  She remained positive and celebrated with the rest of us.  I camped out with many of the runners for the second night.  I would do this again but probably in a couple of more years.  I'm looking forward to my next 50k.  This was probably not the BEST first 50k trail run I should have done considering the "hilly" and "not so well-marked course" but it was an incredible experience and worth the trip.  Stayed in Vancouver, WA for a couple of nights.  Had a massage Monday morning.  Visited with friends/colleagues too.  Ran a recovery run just over a mile Tuesday/Wednesday morning but muscles did NOT like it.  Will recover for rest of week.  Hope to run easy on Sunday.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  Whoo-Hoo! Congratulations, ultra-marathoner!  Loved your race report, sorry to say I was laughing during it, so classic to get off course in some of those races!  What a great time for 38+ miles!  Hope you have a good recovery.

Art in AZ I'm voting for the bagels...

2 days off due to work.

7 miles at 5AM.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/26... Ok, I think it's time for this part time runner to try posting again...    I've been running fairly well lately, but am not totally out of the woods yet.   Anyway, today's run was a 4 miler on the railtrail.   Perfect weather, 62 degrees and shady most of the way.

Az... I'm sure you know the kind of shape it takes to run the race you just ran.    You need to buy a cape, one like Super Woman wore.    Anyway, congratulations on a great run, a marathon and a half, on trails, in just over 7 hours in 90 degree heat?     Where's my sewing machine, I need to make this girl a cape...

Enjoyed Dan's race report and every one else's disgusting posts rubbing it in about how well they're doing...

Ray, how's it going eating with Chop Sticks?   I'd starve to death...

az2mntrail  Whoo-Hoo! Congratulations, ultra-marathoner!  Loved your race report, sorry to say I was laughing during it, so classic to get off course in some of those races!  What a great time for 38+ miles!  Hope you have a good recovery.

2 days off due to work.

7 miles at 5AM.

Chantilly:  Thanks!   I had to laugh now and then too while on the trail.  After all, I made the decision to do it, right?!?  Totally nuts but looking back, it was totally worth it!!   "Getting lost" is part of the adventure, haha!!  I knew I could finish so attitude adjustment was necessary after getting back on right trail.  Turns out I was 3rd out of 6 runners in the 50-59 AG, and 12th out of 22 runners.  No significant difference, it was a tough run no matter where one placed.  I made good friends with a couple of ladies who live near Boise, ID.  They have run about five 50Ks each.  One of them has run a 50 miler, 100k, and a 100 MILER!! She had us laughing so hard and long with her running adventures.  She admits she does not 'look' like the typical ultra runner but she finishes with lots of walk breaks.  Very impressed with her perseverance and humorous attitude!! This was fun .......after the finish!

Saturday, 7/26... Ok, I think it's time for this part time runner to try posting again...    I've been running fairly well lately, but am not totally out of the woods yet.   Anyway, today's run was a 4 miler on the railtrail.   Perfect weather, 62 degrees and shady most of the way.

Az... I'm sure you know the kind of shape it takes to run the race you just ran.    You need to buy a cape, one like Super Woman wore.    Anyway, congratulations on a great run, a marathon and a half, on trails, in just over 7 hours in 90 degree heat?     Where's my sewing machine, I need to make this girl a cape...

NH:  HAHA!! I would proudly wear it too!!   I have the same first name as Wonder Woman so it's meant to be, LOL!!  DH had so much confidence in me that he didn't bat an eye when I told him I was running the 50k instead of the FM.  "Make sure you have enough water and don't get lost" ..........famous last words, LOL!!  Despite the conditions, I was so happy to just be running "in the woods" ........after my attitude adjustment.  You are progressing well, hang in there!!  62 degrees sounds marvelous!!

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning before going to spend some time with oldest grandson. Started cloudy out but the sun cleared the clouds and it was sunny the last half. Strangely there was hardly anyone out this morning. Saw a total of 3 people. The rest of them must be taking a day off.

Chantilly - I'm going to do the "bagel" bike ride. I can get some bagels, get a couple of hill workouts and test out the Garmin Nuvi on the bike. Since I know the phone won't be available the whole trip.

Rich - Nice to see you're back. Yes, 62 degrees sounds real nice.

AZ - Way to go and congratulations on your first 50K+. Loved the race report. I agree that not having a well marked course is frustrating. I would have felt the same way. Hopefully the event organizers take that into consideration next time. Remember, it's all about the experience. It'll be hard to forget about this one.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Did the 'bagel' ride this morning. It was a good workout. Especially riding into the wind a few times. The Garmin Nuvi worked fine with my universal holder. Learned a couple of things with it. What I estimated to be a 26 mile ride is, according to the Nuvi, 27.8 miles. Even after the 2 hour 20 minute ride it still has 3/4 of battery left. It was nice to see average speed and maximum speed. I do miss the elevation change which is displayed with the phone app.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 7/26... another railtrail run today.    I warmed up in the first 1/2 mile with a few walk breaks, then eased into the run...11:18, 9:51, 9:38 and 9:20.    One of the first things to go when you stop running for any length of time is your aerobic capacity and mine's no exception, but I'm gaining.    I took a short 7 mile ride afterwards on the mtn bike to increase the circulation in my sore leg, all in all a good day.    My leg's a little sore as I type, so a day off tomorrow's probably a good idea.

Quick story...my wife loves yard sales about as much as I hate stopping at the things.    I usually sit in the rig when we stop, not interested in other people's "junk". lol   Anyway, she convinced me to stop at one last weekend and in amongst the other "stuff" was a hybrid bicycle, a cross between a road bike and a commuter bike.    I recognized the "Specialized" name, because it's one of the better brands.    Anyway, I asked the guy what he was asking for it and when he said 10 bucks, I grabbed it.   There's absolutely nothing wrong with the thing, I've already ridden it and everything works great.     The guy's reason for getting rid of it was because he's upgraded.     You know what they say about one man's junk, right?    That's my latest treasure...lol

Az... good luck with your recovery from the 38 miler, you're in uncharted territory with this one.    That's quite a catch you got there, DH "gets it" with the way he supports your races, good for him.

Art... nice bike ride!   I've got a "vintage" road bike, a 12 speed Raleigh with shifters down on the vertical post below the handlebar.     My new Treasure's a 24 speed with shifters on the handlebar, big difference in the comfort level between the 2.    Is your bike a typical road bike?

Chantilly75

NH Runner Good to hear from you. Nice find at the yard sale.

az2mntrail Congratulations on the AG finish! I have read about trail markers getting stolen by smart-alecks or knocked down by animals or the weather. Good thing you are an experienced trail runner.

Art in AZ  106F---I think you earned ice cream, rather than bagels!!

7 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

No running for me Friday morning but DW&I biked about 12 miles on the same flat trail as earlier in the week.  Then 5.3 mi running Saturday morning.  We left the resort around noon so I could get back and try to use all of Sunday to 'catch up' with computer work before starting with patients tomorrow morning.  Able to do that and mow the lawn this evening. 

Ended up running 5 of the 6 days, and biking twice.  good workout week for me.  Now it has to compete with the office.    It'll work out.

AZ- WONDER WOMAN is right!  I vote yes on the cape, but we need a picture!  38 miles, are you serious!  Amazing job.   3rd out of 6 despite the extra miles.  

I'll admit I might have been more upset about the extra mileage than you were.  Good attitude.  DWD was well marked.  That would be a rotten thing if people moved markers.  What the ????

Give yourself plenty of time to recover from this one.

Art- I agree with Chantilly, it's an ice cream ride in that heat!

NHRich- nice score on the bike!  $10, amazing.

You all have good weeks.

Dan

adkkev

Quick story...my wife loves yard sales about as much as I hate stopping at the things.    I usually sit in the rig when we stop, not interested in other people's "junk". lol   Anyway, she convinced me to stop at one last weekend and in amongst the other "stuff" was a hybrid bicycle, a cross between a road bike and a commuter bike.    I recognized the "Specialized" name, because it's one of the better brands.    Anyway, I asked the guy what he was asking for it and when he said 10 bucks, I grabbed it.   There's absolutely nothing wrong with the thing, I've already ridden it and everything works great.     The guy's reason for getting rid of it was because he's upgraded.     You know what they say about one man's junk, right?    That's my latest treasure...lol

Way to go Rich!!!  $10??!!  Incredible.

adkkev:  Loved the pics!!  The gorgeous scenery would make me want to enjoy it daily, lucky you!!  DW seems to be enjoying the ladder portion, where did that take you two?  How often do you go on that hike?  Can you run portions of it? What camera do you use or is it your phone camera?

NH:  Hey, that is one worthwhile item, WOW!!  $10 for a 'specialized' brand, definitely excellent bikes!!  My brother just got one, a mtn bike.  I'm not 'into' rummage (the term most often used here) sales either but I ran by one years ago when in TX and ended up with a huge mirror for $5!! for the guest room.  I should go by some again here in MN, there's always yard sales each weekend at various places.  I'm looking for a couple of standing reading lamps and nightstands. I end up buying books to read.  A 'neighborhood' yard sale would really cut down my driving time, .

Art:  Good to know the garmin nuvi worked, I was wondering about it.  Thanks for the review.  I CAN imagine the scorching temps, been there, done that .  Wearing a hydration pack with ice can really offer some cooling effect.  Once it melts (like in seconds, Haha), I pour it over my head, THAT feels refreshing.  So you have ice cream rides or bagel rides .........worth it.

Dan:  I was looking forward to your RR!!  You did awesome!!  Cut down your last year's time by a few minutes, YAY!!  Running a couple of 'trail' races before next year's might really help on getting use to running steep and on rocky terrain.  It takes practice, believe me.  How did your shoes feel?  What shoes did you wear?  What kind of 'water holder" did you wear?  Did you practice wearing it during training?  What did the aid stations have?  Did DW meet you at any point along the course or is it not accessible? I mentioned to DH of my wanting to make the trip to WI to run the 2016 DWD and it's a "let me know when you register so I can take days off."  What a guy!!

Chantilly:  still going strong!!  Staying cool too? You go, girl!!

Ray:  how is the trip going or are you back?  Tough to get some long runs in when in totally unfamiliar region.  Are there any running groups?  How is the weather?  Another forest fire in CA.  The region has been so dry and extends into OR & WA.  The west Glacier N.P. (northern WA) and Walla Walla (SE WA) had forest fires they were fighting when I was in WA.

NH Runner

Monday, 7/27... no running for me today, but I did re-dig the ditch that runs along the road that goes by my place.    I've let the town do it in the past, but the mess they make isn't worth the hassle, now I just do it myself.

To say I was shocked when the guy only wanted $10.00 for the Specialized would be an understatement.   I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that...lol    The tires that are on it are really narrow and I've ordered wider tires, but that's it for expenses.    Fine tuned the shifters and fit and lubricated everything, once the new tires get here, we'll be good to go.

Chantilly... any races coming up for you?    Still running as strong as ever, eh?

Hey Dan, you had a great week last week!   Quality time with DW and quality workouts.  Nice!

adkkev... I meant to comment on your photos, that ladder climb looks like one of the obstacles in a Spartan Race...lol   Not sure I could get my wife to climb that thing.   Well, maybe if there was a yard sale waiting at the top...lol

az... every now and then you find a crazy bargain at a yard sale that's almost enough to offset the time spent looking at all the worthless stuff.  Good luck finding those standing reading lamps...lol     And good luck with recovery this week...

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning just to get out and run. Clear skies and warm. The usual.

Rich - Nice combo with the run and bike ride. Nice score at the garage sale. I would have bought it also for the price. I have a Schwinn 21-speed mountain bike. Have thought of getting a road bike also but don't see a real need right now. While looking for a phone holder for the bike a while ago I figured out why some of the 'dedicated' bike riders blow past me sometimes. One of the bikes I looked at was a 30-speed. Nice bike though.

Chantilly - Well I had both. Daughter in law and the two boys showed around lunch time. So we had cheeseburgers on the grill. I went to the store and got some mint chocolate chip ice cream. It was good.

Dan - Sounds like you and wife had a great vacation.

AZ - This Garmin model is really for cars even though it has a bicycle mode. It shows the measurements across the bottom of the screen. There's your average speed, current speed and max speed on top and on the bottom moving time, total time and stopped time. Mileage is near the top in smaller numbers. I will use it when I go on new routes to determine the distance. When I leave on a ride in this weather I take a couple of bottles of water. A quart size that fits the water bottle holder on the frame and a regular water bottle that comes in a case you can buy at the store. Both are frozen when I start. It doesn't take too long before they thaw out and get warm.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ