50 and over 5k and beyond

February Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Chantilly75

justrundan Some good cross training for you with all that snow.  I have worked mostly nights for years. Wreaks havoc with a person's sleep, though.

Art in AZ  Hope your new shoes work out for you.  Sounds like the weather isn't ideal there.  We had above average temps all winter and less snow.  Today it is 14F, should be a lot colder in Feb.

adkkev Some good indoor training for you in spite of the thermometer. Those climbing walls are pretty neat.  I didn't like the Pureflows, felt like my toes were curved up.  We don't have Altras here. I'm still doing longer runs in Adidas Adios 2 (1260 miles)  …afraid of trying their "boost" version.  I was so disappointed with Kinvara 6.. (too cushioned…feel like they are jumping on the Hoka bandwagon)

rmcj001  Some good workouts for you…Good news about the moisture improvement for your area.

gito57 Good workouts for you and a funny movie, also!  I watched Denzel in The Equalizer  yesterday.

az2mntrail Safe travels.  Sept. wouldn't be a good date for me.

rest day yesterday watching Netflix...

12 miles this morning.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

4 easy miles Wednesday. Sunny but cold during the morning, lower 30s.
      5 miles this morning. Sunny and upper 30s. Temps are expected to climb a few degrees each day as we warm up due to the high pressure system coming. About time. No running tomorrow as I go back to Holbrook, again.

adkkev - I'll check out the Altras next time. I see they have a couple of choices in the stability rating. It's amazing watching the grandkids be so fearless when they are younger and then slowly they start to lose that feeling. Either it's common sense starting to develop or from the constant sound of "be careful" from a lot of people.

Ray - Know that feeling. Some days are just better than others. Weather is getting warmer here also. Looking forward to be back in shorts again.

az - Hope the rest of the trip is smooth.

Debra - I tried the Ghost model several versions back. Bought it because of the color combination. Being a neutral shoe it was OK for occasional running but didn't feel better than the Asics GT-21whatever it was then. So it became a non-running shoe. Stroganoff. Oh yum. Haven't made that in a while. Need to add the ingredients to the grocery list for next week.

Chantilly - Ran in the new shoes this morning. Felt nice. Another long run for you.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

Left work midday to travel north to be with my hospitalized sister.  She's currently in the ICU with sepsis and pneumonia which she's been fighting since Christmas.  Her care team is puzzled, so more tests for her tomorrow.  Staying at hotel with fitness center, so may get some time on the elliptical before heading back to hospital in the morning.

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Wow Deb, sorry to hear about your sister.  Praying you will be a comfort to her!

Dan

rmcj001

Gito - Hoping things go well for you and your sister.

adkkev  - Nice runs on the TM - kudos for incline settings. I'll admit I'd rather run my hills al natural, something about knowing where the end is and that there is likely a downhill where I can catch my breath.  I know some people say to run with 1% incline to make up for lack of air resistance, but that doesn't really matter until your going 8mph. To me, the loss of convection cooling makes up for the missing resistance.

Chantilly - Some nice workouts for you! Too early to celebrate too much on the weather, forecast is no rain in sight 'til at least Thursday next week.

Rich - Hope that leg is healing up.

Art - keeping it going! Good!  Temps are expected to be in the 70's for Sunday here and mid 70's by Wednesday...Good for the Super Bowl, not so good for us...

Az - Hope the trip is going smoothly!

Wed, 8.7 miles around work - slower tempo run.

Thu, 7.3 on the TM - kept thinking about stopping after mile 2...

Fri, 9.6 miles around work again.  Running outside is colder even tho temps are close to our unheated/unfinished room.  The convection cooling just makes me want to go a bit faster.  Still trying to warm up after latest run...

Ray

Chantilly75

3 miles yesterday and 7 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

2/6... just checking in.   My knee's been sore for a while, but never enough to shut me down, once the run got underway, the pain would let up.     Until recently at least...    Anyway, I decided to start icing and taking NSAIDS the other day to finally get rid of the inflammation.     It worked too, my knee improved to the point where I headed out on a run Thursday like a guy with 2 good knees.    That lasted almost a 1/4 mile, then I shut the run down and limped home...lol     The good thing is my knee did improve, I just didn't give it enough time.    So, that's where I'm at, back to icing and NSAIDS for a little while yet.    And I looked at the shoe suggestions, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything, I want to buy in person rather than on-line

Everyone's looking good, hopefully I'll return to running with beautiful form again before you guys can say, "Is this guy for real, or what"!

Gito... couldn't leave without wishing your Sis the best, thinking of the two of you....

Fletch

Hello, friends. Yes, it has been quite a while since I visited. It's nice to see everyone back. I've missed you guys!

Deb - Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I hope your sister's health improves soon.

Rich - Sorry to hear about the knee problems. Keep up the icing and rest. You'll be back on the road in no time.

Chantilly - You are putting in some good miles. Are you able to run outside, or mostly at the indoor track?

Ray - Nice miles for you, too. Ramping up for Boston!!

Dan - Good, steady running. Congrats on the 6 month high mark for January!

Art - Between the bike rides and running, you're getting in some good workouts. Hope your Holbrook project is going (or went) well.

addkev - Nice workouts for you, too, with the snowshoes, elliptical and TM. RE: Downton Abbey - DW is just finishing season 5. I started 1 and 2 with her, but just got too busy to keep up. She is really enjoying it.

Az - Hope your trip is going well. It's cool that you remember my "gump runs" from last year (yes, that was me). I still do them quite often, and they still are my favorite runs! RE: acupuncture - it sounds like the treatment you are getting is a procedure called "dry needling," typically done be PT's rather than acupuncturists. The needles are inserted into trigger points directly in the muscle, rather than various areas along the meridian zones, as with acupuncture. Both have varying degrees of effectiveness, depending on who you ask (imagine that!). Anyway, I hope it works for you, and gets you back out on the road quickly.

Some of you may remember that I made a late-life career change, quit my job and went back to school to be a Physical Therapist Assistant. I finished all of the pre-requisites, and am in the second semester of the actual PTA program. We'll start clinicals next semester, and will finish in spring of next year. Still working a few days a week at the golf course, and squeezing runs in between the work, school and studying. No races scheduled yet, but looking at a couple HMs in the spring.

Tuesday: 3.5 miles with some hill work

Wednesday: 5.5 miles, interval speed work with the group

Thursday: 5.5 miles, in the rain

Friday and Saturday, rest (one scheduled, one URD)

Sunday (today): 11 miles

Now it's off to watch the Super Bowl.  GO PANTHERS!

Safe running!!

adkkev

Debra - hope things improve soon for you sister ...

6+ mile hike yesterday followed by a 4.5 mile hike early this afternoon.  Hard to grasp the fact that it's February & there is no snow around here at all.  Yesterday's hike was a little breezy at times especially when the trail came close to the river (we were hiking along the Hudson).  But we did see a bald eagle sitting on a branch & then a pair of eagles were soaring overhead later on in the hike.  Today's hike was less breezy and combined with the bright sun, a bit warmer.

Weather forecasters are calling for the coldest temperatures of the winter next weekend ... it'll probably feel doubly cold since we've so much unseasonably "warm" weather so far.

Ray - I run on the treadmill at the gym because it's dark when I get near home from work & I don't really want to be out running with a headlamp - the gym is on my way home so that's convenient.  Come warmer weather & later sunsets I'll probably return to running on the nature & bike trails.

Art in AZ

Rest day Friday due to the trip to Holbrook.
                      Saturday got in 6 miles in the morning under clear sunny skies but windy.
                      Sunday did 9 miles later in the morning. Still windy out.
                      3 miles this morning but breezy. Wonder what's up with all this wind.

Debra - Hope your sister is doing better.

Ray - Solid miles for you.

Chantilly - After those few days of long miles it looks like you are resting.

Rich - Hope your knee feels better soon. It's hard to recommend a shoe without knowing what type of shoe you should run in. According to my arch and gait I'm in the stability area. When I have ventured out into another type, like neutral, my feet end up hurting some.

Fletch - Nice to hear from you. We get in runs when we can when we get busy. We won't talk about the Super Bowl. I wasn't for any team really since the AZ cardinals lost.

adkkev - Nice couple of hikes. Not much wildlife around the trails close by here. Too much urban development.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

6+ miles on the elliptical at the gym ... parking lot was full of cars but the gym didn't seem as crowded as I thought it might be.

adkkev

5.5 miles on the elliptical followed by .6 mile cool down on the treadmill.

rmcj001

Let's see...

Saturday, 6.8 miles around my neighborhood (flat as a pancake) and temps were warm.

Sunday, 16.1 miles long run in the morning through Stanford to the dish. Warmer then Saturday, followed by 3 mile hike above Palo Alto.

Monday, 7.1 semi-recovery/easy miles in late afternoon (warmer still).

Tuesday, 7.4 miles fast paced with temp slightly cooler then Monday. It was a good run, even if it was a bit warm.

Chantilly - some good work there.

Gito - Hope things are going well and silence is just you being away from the computer.

Fletch - Better to be too busy, then nothing to do! Sorry, about the Panthers - warriors held up their end of Curry's prediction! Well, at least Peyton can go out on top, even if the reason they won is because of the defense - he didn't lose it, kind of like Dilfer...

Rich - Rule #1. Gotta  remember rule #1...

Art - Solid miles and weather's improving (sort of - guess we need more rain). Should be good for the garden, no?

adkkev - making good use of the gym!  Priceless.

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Hello, checking in.  Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.  All are greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately, no change in my sister's condition.  The infection remains a mystery, so more tests for her.  I'm making the trip to be with her when I can.  Not sure she's aware of my presence, but it's something I can do.  Very difficult to feel so helpless.  Oddly, my 92yo father will be at the same medical center in the morning to have his pacemaker battery change.  So a lot going on here.   Did get a 5 mile run on Sunday and ran 4 miles this morning.  Elliptical when there's time.  I'll check in when I can.

Stay strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

Hi friends.

Deb - Still thinking of you and praying for your sister. It's good that you can occasionally occupy your mind with a run or elliptical workout. Hope she improves soon.

addkev - Nice hikes, and elliptical workouts. Very cool seeing the bald eagles. We don't have many around here, but do get an occasional glimpse around Jordan Lake when we head up toward Chapel Hill.

Ray - Good four-day stretch of running there. When you say "warm" and "warmer," what kind of temps are you talking about? I was disappointed that the Panthers didn't win the Super Bowl, but not losing a lot of sleep over it. I've been a big Panther's fan since their beginning, but I'm not a big Cam Newton fan. I'm old school. He's got a ton of talent, but not too much humility. I don't think he wins gracefully, and I didn't think he lost gracefully this past Sunday. Wanted them to win, but didn't mind seeing them knocked down a notch or two. And I am glad to see Peyton go out on a winning note. Class guy. Wish Cam would pay attention to him.

Art - Nice runs over the weekend and on Monday. Been a little breezy here lately, too.

Scheduled rest day on Monday after the 11 miler Sunday...but it didn't quite work out that way. Monday was cardio day in our Therapeutic Exercise class at school. So rather than resting, I did about 45 minutes of cardio (elliptical and stationary bike).

Tuesday - rest day

Wednesday - 3 miles (8:20 pace) during the lunch break at school.

Headed to Chapel Hill with DW tomorrow morning, then spending the rest of the day cramming for a big Functional Anatomy exam on Friday. Hoping to take a study break tomorrow afternoon to get in a few miles.

Happy running!!

Fletch