50 and over 5k and beyond

February Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Art in AZ

Took a rest day Tuesday.

4 miles at lunch time. Working from home has its advantages sometimes.

adkkev - The elliptical is good way to get miles in.

Ray - Consistent running for you. It's been warm here also. I think they said something like 15 degrees above normal. Sunny and dry for the next 10 days predicted. Though this is the time of the year we normally don't get rain. Garden doing good so far. Just have to change the watering schedule a little because of the warmer weather.

Debra - Here's hoping they solve the mystery and your sister gets better soon.

Fletch - Good luck on your exam.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Wednesday - 5+ on the elliptical & just over a half mile cooling down on the treadmill afterwards.

Lots of resolutioners at the gym the past few days ... PF needs to add a training on how to park correctly in their parking lot.  Those white lines are painted on the pavement for a reason.  At least I've always thought so.  But it is nice to see more people putting in the effort to take care of themselves, if only for a short time.

Bitter cold & gusty winds forecast for our upcoming weekend ... brrrrrrrrrrrrr ...

Chantilly75

gito57  It is difficult to have a family member so ill.

Art in AZ  I would like to see your garden.   I am going to hire a company to clean up my yard and fix up some areas this spring. Too bad about your bagel situation….

adkkev Hope you don't get too cold this weekend. We usually have too much snow to worry about lines in the parking lot, until the spring.  Then everyone has to learn how to park properly again.

Fletch_NC  Nice to see you checking back in.  Hope you do well in your exam.

rmcj001 Some longer runs outside for you.  Sounds like you don't care for the treadmill too much.
        NH Runner Hope you can whip that knee into shape. Maybe the footing on your trail will get smoother.

7 miles Monday, then 2 days off due to work, 11 miles today on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday. 2/12... another check in.    I'm walking most days, 3 miles, either with the dog or with walking sticks.    Knee's coming along nicely, but not ready to run on just yet.   We're about to get cold in NH, forecast is -17 tomorrow night and -8 the following night, then it looks like there's a storm coming.    Happy to have the presidential primary over with, the phone calls, ads and fliers can drive you crazy.    Election results weren't surprising, lots of angry voters out there...

Hi Fletch... good to see you posting again.

Everyone's looking good and making me jealous...

Still thinking of you and Sis, Gito...

adkkev... ordered a pair of Altras, but a road shoe instead of a trail.

I'm hanging tough Chantilly, amazing what a little rest can do for an injury...lol

adkkev

Rich - nice to see that your knee is being cooperative ...

Deb - hang in there ... hoping to hear some positive news soon

Thursday - 3 miles brisk walking on the treadmill at the gym ... 2% to 4% incline.

2 degrees this morning when I started the car but no wind.  The weather folks are calling for some brutal stuff come later on Saturday afternoon ... -40 with the wind chill!!  I was reading some posts on the Adirondack hiking forum that I follow & a few crazies are contemplating hiking some of the high peaks over the weekend.  I'm hoping I don't read about their rescue or something more tragic in the newspaper or on television ... the mountains aren't going anywhere & it's really not that important to get your "winter 46" in the grand scheme of things.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Hope you don't get too cold/snowy this W/E. Do you ever wear a brace on the knee? I have read conflicting opinions about them.  (good for support and keeping the knee tracking properly…. but then, is the knee staying weaker because of the support..?

adkkev  Sounds like a cold one to help you remember it is still winter… Hope everyone stays safe.

7 miles. Arthritis pain has really impacted my training for quite some months now…(doctor says running's bad, go swimming….

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Wow, where is the month going?

Fletch- good to hear that school is going well and your running continues.

Chantilly- you are getting in good miles for being slowed down by arthritis.  That does take some of the joy out.  If I was told to swim instead of run that would be the end of my exercise!  Never will be a triathlete. 

adkkev- yes, the TM is our friend in this kind of weather!

Deb- I hope progress is being made in your sister's recovery.

Rich- yes, this cold snap is crazy!  -11 here tonight, plus (or minus) the wind chill!

Where did I leave off?  I did get outside to river walk last Friday for 13 miles, and another 5 on Saturday.  But then multiple rest days in a row before finally gettiing on TM yesterday and this morning.  No riverwalk for me tomorrow with wind chill around 20 below.  More TM time, guess I'll call this a cut back week! 

You all have great weekends, and stay warm.

Dan

adkkev

Frigid Friday - 6.6 miles on the elliptical followed by .6 cool down on the treadmill.

Plenty of regulars at the gym today, not too many newbies.  Easy to tell because many of the treadmills aren't being used.

Art in AZ

8 miles Thursday morning. Trying to get in more longish runs during the middle of the week.
                    5 miles this morning. Weather has been really good for running.

adkkev - I see the northern parts of the Midwest and East are expecting cold temps. So probably no hiking but there's always that gym. Well I hope you don't go hiking. I remember the really cold weather like that when I lived in Northern Illinois and had to be out in weather like that. I couldn't dress warm enough. I wonder how the new people will treat this weekend there. Seems if it gets really cold they stay home.

Chantilly - Bummer on the bagels here. But earlier in the week I read an article on Bagel Day, Feb. 9,about 20 of the best bagel places across the country. And one of them was a place in Ahwatukee called I believe Mr. Bagel Man. Unfortunately it's about a half-hour drive from the house. Definitely to far for a long run and a bike ride also. It's about 19 miles mostly highway miles. Nice miles. Did you tell the doc the water is kind of cold now.

Rich - Walking is good. I'm sure Sim appreciates it. They have sticks that walk now. Imagine that. Technology now-a-days.

Dan - I'm sure this cold snap will be over soon and all of you can get back to normal winter weather.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

sluggo

John

Friday. 2/12... another check in.    I'm walking most days, 3 miles, either with the dog or with walking sticks.    Knee's coming along nicely, but not ready to run on just yet.   We're about to get cold in NH, forecast is -17 tomorrow night and -8 the following night, then it looks like there's a storm coming.    Happy to have the presidential primary over with, the phone calls, ads and fliers can drive you crazy.    Election results weren't surprising, lots of angry voters out there...

Really sorry to hear about your knee. As you may recall, I've been nursing mine for a very long time.

I also want to tell you all that I seem to feeling better, finally. I've been putting in about 8 mi/week. Run, foam roller, rest, foam roller, repeat. I even joined the 2016 in 2016 game group. They accept shorter goal runners.

Ran my first road race since 2013 yesterday. I was 3 minutes slowed than 3 years ago but I did feel good.

Everyone else in my very small age group were kind enough to run slower then me.

Happy Valentines Day all, especially the ladies.

John
                      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Art in AZ

3 miles Saturday morning to start the day.

10 miles this morning. Felt like a slow run but when I checked the time turned out to be the normal time for a 10 mile run.

Sluggo - Congrats on the race yesterday.

Chantilly - After yesterdays morning run the grandboys were over so we decided to go check out 'Mr. Bagel Man'. The bagels were delicious. We got lucky and got there just before they put out the cheese bagels. Hot fresh bagels. Mmmm.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Sluggo - Good job on the run! Keep it up.

Art - Bagels sounds good, good find! Some good miles in too!

Chantilly  - Nice mileage in spite of the arthritic knees. My orthopedist says "move it or lose it." Keep moving as long as you can...

Rich - Dog must like the rehabbing! Get well!

Well, think I did 5.5 TM miles on Thur. Or was it Fri? Need to check log and on phone...

Friday, 8.4 night miles with shoe lights.

Sat, 7.4 miles around neighbor hood.

Sun, 15.6 long miles to dish and back. Skipped most of the uphills, but enough to slow mid miles down. Definitely a negative split..

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Checking in with good news!  My sister is out of ICU, the infection is responding to antibiotics, and she will be transferred to a rehabilitation center near her home in the next few days.  She's in good spirits, and we are all so thankful for the progress she's made.  Her condition was questionable for a few days, but we always knew she was a tough cookie!  Thank you for your thoughts and concern! 

Exhausted from hours and hours of driving all week. Taking a couple days to get caught up with things at home.  Hoping to go for a run tomorrow, and to read what all of you have been up to!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

That's great news Deb!!  two thumbs up for sure.

-16 at our house this morning ... probably in the minus thirties with the wind chill.  The sunshine & bright blue skies were quite deceiving ...

6.5 miles on the elliptical at the gym followed by .91 cool down miles walking on the treadmill.  I'm guessing that the cold & wind kept a lot of people home because the gym was pretty empty.

Chantilly75

justrundan Some nice runs on the river walk, good thing you have the treadmill.

adkkev  Good indoor workouts.

Art in AZ Sounds like it was a good idea to check out the bagel place…but it is kinda far away for a regular excursion.  Some nice longish runs for you.  We have a lot of indoor pools here…outdoor pool weather lasts about 3 months.

sluggo Good to hear from you.  Congrats on your race. Hope the knee continues to do well.

rmcj001 What's a shoe light?  Is that a headlamp you wear on the shoes? Doesn't it bounce around?

I've had arthritis for around 30 yrs. It is getting worse as I grow older…oh well…I do what I can. 

gito57 I am glad to hear that your sister is out of ICU. Good to hear that you had safe travels. It will be nice for you to be home.

6 miles at 7 am.

3 miles at 11 am.

4 miles at 4 pm.

Sonata Arctica