50 and over 5k and beyond

February Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

Fletch

Hi, friends. I hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day!

Deb - great news! Hope your sister's rehab goes well.

Ray - Nice, consistent running. Keep that up until Boston, and you'll have a great race.

Sluggo - good to hear from you. Congrats on your race.

Dan - nice running. With windchills at -20, I'd take a cut-back week, too.

Rich - Cold stuff for you, too. Enjoy the walks with Sim. Hope the leg's better soon.

Chantilly - 3 runs, 13 miles in one day. Very nice, in spite of the arthritis.

adkkev - nice job getting in the workouts. That's some serious cold weather you're getting.

Art - You're getting in some really good runs. Nice 10 miler today. Glad you're having good weather.

Didn't get the run in on Thursday that I wanted. Too much studying. Not that it did me much good. The test did not go well. I don't have scores yet, but I don't have a good feeling about it. Gotta buckle down now and pull the average back up.

Made it out Saturday with one of my training partners. 4.5 mile hill run through his neighborhood.

5 miles solo today. Sunny, 28 degrees, with about 10 mph winds. After reading about the cold most of you are seeing, I'm not complaining. I know you will all get a kick out of the fact that our school is on a 2 hour delay tomorrow, because there's a CHANCE we may get a dusting of snow, and some wintry mix.  That's life in the South!!

Safe running!

Fletch

adkkev

Presidents Day morning work out @ the gym ... 6 miles on the elliptical while Jackie was out shopping.  It was -2 when I went into the gym, +2 when I got out & it was snowing very lightly.  Not sure how much snow we're supposed to get before it turns to a sloppy wet mess tomorrow.

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC Sorry to hear of your test not going so well. Hope the marks turn out better than you thought.

That's funny about your school situation…here, the schools are open for students who can get there on foot/car/city buses, even when it is -30F + or a blizzard. Rural schools may be closed because of blowing snow/visibility, though.

adkkev That elliptical machine doesn't bother your knees?

6 miles.  Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 2/15... sorry for being such a stiff lately, hopefully I can be more consistent soon.   I passed on anything outdoors the last couple of days, with temps well below zero and a stiff wind, I went into hibernation...lol   Anyway,18 degrees today felt like a heat wave, so I got out for a 4 miler on the railtrail.   Mostly a Nordic Walk, but threw in maybe a dozen jogs of 50 to 75 yards to test my knee.   Not bad, but there were a few instances that weren't pain free.   I am gaining, not sure how much just yet.    Did anyone get to watch the Olympic Trials marathons in LA this past weekend?    Gallen Rupp's debut marathon in 2:11:++ put him across in first, with Meb and a guy named Ward in 2nd and 3rd.    On the women's side, it was Amy Craig breaking the tape in 2:28:++  with Desi Linden 2nd also in 2:28:++ and Shalane Flanagan in 2:29:++.

Chantill... my knee's sore at the top of my knee cap if I'm standing, it's right where the tendon that connects your quad to your knee cap would be.    With rest, ice and NSAIDs, I'm making good progress, but may try a knee brace at some point.    For now though, it'll be just more of the same...

Sluggo... congrats on the race!   Have you had your knee looked at by a doc?    I usually do the self-exam first, but if it doesn't work, I'll grudgingly get looked at by someone who knows what  they're doing...lol

Keeping my fingers crossed I can get going soon, running and doing a better job of keeping up in here...

sluggo

John

my knee's sore at the top of my knee cap if I'm standing, it's right where the tendon that connects your quad to your knee cap would be.    With rest, ice and NSAIDs, I'm making good progress, but may try a knee brace at some point.    For now though, it'll be just more of the same...

Sluggo... congrats on the race!   Have you had your knee looked at by a doc?    I usually do the self-exam first, but if it doesn't work, I'll grudgingly get looked at by someone who knows what  they're doing...lol

Keeping my fingers crossed I can get going soon, running and doing a better job of keeping up in here...

Knee pain is difficult. I hope you improve soon. It took me over a year.

Yes, I did have a several doc's look at my knee. The sports medicine doc at Mass General in Boston lost interest once he saw that surgery was not needed.

I went to a physical therapist, who ended up hurting me more than helping.

My real fixer upper was a  podiatrist who fixed me up a set of orthotics (on his 2nd try) AND changing from a neutral pair of shoes to support shoes.

Once again, good luck with that knee.

John
            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Hi everyone! Quickly read your posts but not enough time to answer each of you. I'm at the library and have only a few minutes left after taking care of 'work' stuff.  SUNNY DAYS since I've arrived home to northern AZ!!  50s/60s degrees!! AWESOME!! DH flew in for only a week, spent the weekend in Lake Havasu, AZ for the Rockabilly and Car show event.  Met up with friends from WA state who are 'wintering' there till March. About 85 degrees, WOW!!  Seems like there is some special bug that everyone is catching so almost everyone I've met is sick or still suffering from it.  I'm doing fine!  DH flew back to MN yesterday and texted me that it's below zero degrees earlier today!! OMG!! Not looking forward to returning to MN next week.  So my calf muscle issue seems to healing. I've been 'jogging' almost everyday on the mountain trail near our home, altitude is between 7,000 and 8,000 ft. No problem with breathing. YAY!!  Some areas still covered with snow and muddy but it's jog-able.  I started with jogging 2 minutes, then walking 30 seconds for a few days, for about 2.2 miles.  Today, I jogged 3 min, and walked 1 min, for about 3 miles. I took Sat and Sun off when we were in Lake Havasu.  The 'injured' area is feeling good, no pain or discomfort.  Bought a new knee support which I like.  Will post when I can.  Take care and run safe.

Art in AZ

5 miles yesterday morning.
                8 miles this morning.

Easy day for work so started making new sun shades for the windows. Old ones were due to be replaced. Also signed up for a small local 5K this Saturday. Feel like I should go out and race.

Ray - nice running miles.

Debra - good news that your sister is doing better. I'm sure that was a big weight you were carrying.

adkkev - hoping that the real cold weather has passed.

Chantilly - multi-run day. Nice way to break it up like that.

Fletch - Hopefully you did better than you thought on your exam. Friend from Illinois moved to the South and had to laugh when they talked about closing roads and such because of a little snow.

Rich - Nothing wrong staying inside when the weather gets that cold.

Sluggo - A lot of times it takes a while to find someone that really understands and knows how to help.

AZ - Nice that your knee is better and you are able to enjoy running on the mountain trails. Some how I knew you would enjoy the warmer weather we are having right now. Isn't it nice.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Fletch

Az and Rich - hoping you both are back at it soon.

Warming up nicely here. Took a break from studies Tuesday for a 3.5 mile run through the neighborhood. Joined the gang this morning for the regular Wednesday interval workout (5 miles).

Had a little knee pain yesterday, and after this morning's run. Iced it at school, and got an interferential e-stim treatment. Seemed to help with the pain. May rest it tomorrow, depending on how it feels after working at the golf course in the morning.

Safe running, everyone.

Fletch

adkkev

Tuesday - 3.5 treadmill miles

Wednesday - 6.4 miles on the elliptical.  No, Chantilly, the elliptical doesn't bother my knees at all.

On Sunday the windchill made the temperature feel like it was -40.  On Tuesday the high temperature in Albany was 56 degrees.  Now that's quite a swing in temperature!!  Some snow & ice on the ground Tuesday morning, heavy rains in the afternoon erased just about all of that.  This has been one weird winter.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Hope the knee continues to improve.

I didn't see the trials, were the ladies running that slow on purpose, just to qualify for the Olympics and keep strength back for later?  I don't understand why there aren't several ladies running faster than what Grete ( 2:24) and Joan (2:22) and Ingrid (2:21) ran about 30 yrs. ago. There are more runners to choose from and better coaching. I remember that Joan mainly self-coached and Grete was a 10 Km runner.

az2mntrail  Nice times for you in AZ but stay away from those "sickies"  MN should be ok by the time you get back there.

Art in AZ  2 nice runs for you.  Good luck in the 5 Km!

Fletch_NC Hope the treatment helped with the knee.

adkkev That elliptical must help you be ready for your hikes.

9 miles run

10 minutes stationary bike.

1 mile walk.

weights.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Nice runs lately.  Like the multiple workouts too!  As for the Olympic marathon trials, temp at the beginning of the men's race was 66F and the women started 15 minutes later. Amy and Shalane ran the race together (they're training partners) and were way out in front, but starting around mile 23 Shalane was in distress and Amy stayed with her until mile 25 when it was clear Desiree was going to win if she stuck with her. Shalane completely collapsed at the finished and had to be carried to a wheel chair. Temps at end of the race were mid 70's, just way too hot for a fast time. Oh and as per the announcers at beginning of race - this was the hottest US Olympic marathon trial on record.

Fletch - Some good runs for you, gotta be nice to run with the group. When do you hear back about your test?

adkkev - Good to have choices when it is nasty outside. Hard to imagine cold weather here on the left coast..

Rich - Positive signs on the knee. Take it slow and good things should happen.

Sluggo - Yep, knee pain sucks!

Az - Refreshing to hear that the knee is better and you're enjoying your Arizona trails again!

Dan - Sorry, missed you last time.  A nice long run on the River walk there!  Don't cut back too much.

Temps here have been record warm with Mondays temps hitting 80F or close to it. Weather finally turned yesterday with high of around 60F with a nice soaker of a storm mostly coming through last night and this morning.

Monday, 2.5 miles on the TM late in the evening. Wasn't feeling it, but felt obligated to keep current run streak going.

Tuesday, 7.2 miles with shoe lights.  Chantilly, they was a kickstarter campaign that I got in on 2 years ago (?!) and finally came through just before xmas. The lights do bounce around a bit and it is sort of erie, but not as bad as you might think.

Wednesday, 7.8 miles around work - just knew it wouldn't start raining until I started running!  Got totally soaked when rain started just past the 1 mile point. Didn't mind it too much, but was a bit worried the fitbit would get ruined, it held up nicely tho.

Thursday, 8.2 easy pace except for the mile I stayed with the guy that passed me - hit my turn around point..

Ray

justrundan

Deb- great news on your sister!  Hope you get some rest and get caught up at home.

Ray- great miles for you on your streak.

Chantilly- good miles for you too.  are the multiple runs/d difficult and do you stretch a lot in between.  I usually stiffen up after a longer run.

Rich- good news on the knee.

AZ- hope the rehab of your leg is coming along.

Fletch- that Wed morning group sounds like a fun one!  good to get in the runs when you can around the studying.

5.4 mi on TM this morning.  warmer and windy this weekend, will try to hit the river walk at least one of those days.  The snow will be disappearing in the next week.

Here is an article for to make all us distance runners smile.  Slow and long is the best for protecting your memory, at least if you're a rat.  fun article.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/which-type-of-exercise-is-best-for-the-brain/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below&_r=1

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Just dropping in before a conference call to say, "Hello!"  Heavy work load this week, but made time to enjoy a visit with a friend visiting from Vermont.  A state at the top of my "to explore" list.

TU, 2/16 - 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym. Upper body weights and stretches.

W, 2/17 - Ran 3 miles, walked 1 mile at the indoor track.

Hoping to get outdoors for a run after work and before the rain moves in.  Warmer temps around 50 F expected this weekend.  I'll catch up with all of you a bit later.

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

rmcj001 I didn't know the weather was a bit warm for the trials.… Some nice runs for you and more rain, also, even if it was a bit warm.

justrundan Thanks for the article.  Hope you can get out on the riverwalk soon.

I started doing multiple runs to train for a 24 hr. race in 2011. I feel a bit stiff the next run, but start slowly to warm up. Maybe a little stretching, and longer walks are necessary, also.

gito57 A couple of nice workouts at the gym.  I agree about Vermont, would like to visit all NE states again.

8 miles.  A bit stiff from the bike yesterday, don't know how triathletes do it.

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Deb- hope you get outside at least once this weekend!

Chantilly- walking to warm up is something I've been doing more of, esp when indoors on TM.  (also allows me to get that first cup of coffee down while walking!)

6.3 on Riverwalk first thing this morning, sunny and low 40's, but windy.  I was overdressed.  Good thing I got out when I did, around 10 the wind picked up, 20-30 mph, and brought in clouds and cooler weather.  Hope to go a little longer tomorrow.  I don't like most of my miles getting compressed into Th,Fri,Sat, but I'll take what the schedule gives me.

everyone have a great weekend.

Dan