50 and over 5k and beyond

February Runs and Workouts (Read 13 times)

adkkev

Thursday - 3.62 on the treadmill ...

Friday - 5.85 on the elliptical.

Our crazy winter continues ... last weekend -40 with the windchill, this weekend 45=50 degrees above zero.

Art in AZ

Quick update.

3 miles Friday morning.

Ran the ATSU 5K this morning. Finished in 23:40. Which is a new PR for me. Olympic gold medalist from 1964 Billy Mills was there and he was the race starter. I did something different since the event was close to the house. I rode my bike the 6.4 miles to the event as a warmup. Arrived with half an hour to go so had a chance to rest a little and get ready. Weather was nice for running. Then spent the rest of the day working around the yard replacing the wood 2x4s between the concrete slabs that is the patio deck.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

11 miles this morning. Nice weather conditions.

Spending rest of day working around the yard, working on the car and prepping a new server to install tomorrow morning.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

justrundan It is difficult to figure out what to wear on some days.

adkkev Hope it warms up.

Art in AZ  Congratulations on your 5 KM! Nice to have Billy Mills there. Did he sign autographs?

3 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

8.5 Saturday on Riverwalk, first outdoor run of 2016 without my mantights.  walked 3.5 this afternoon with DW on riverwalk.

Art-VERY nice 5K!

adkkev- I'm sure the winter isn't done messing with us yet.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts on my sister.  She's currently in a rehabilitation center and making small improvements.  It's a long, challenging road ahead.

Dan - Nice to shed those winter layers when we get a mid-winter thaw!  Nice miles along the Riverwalk, happy for you the weather cooperated.
              Ray - The consistency award is yours!  Strong mileage there.
              Chantilly - A consistency award for you, too!!  Nice miles and workouts for you.  Still at the indoor track, or did you have warmer weather and able to get outside, too?
              Fletch - Bravo! I commend you on your mid-life career change, and keeping work, studying and running up as well.  Hope the knee pain was just a little tweek and has cleared up.
              adkkev - Hope you were able to get out for a hike to enjoy those weekend temps and take advantage of the benefits gained from your workouts at the gym.  Did any of the crazy hikers return with frostbite???
              Art - Congratulations on the new 5k PR!  The warm-up ride to the race appears to have served you well.
              Rich - Hoping your knee has continued to improve.  Missed most of the Olympic Marathon trials including the men's finish, but began watching about mile 19 of the women's race.  Desi's surge to 2nd place was exciting to see.  Felt badly for Kara, after a lot of distractions in her training the last 2 years, she looked to have rebounded well.  May have been not enough, unfortunately only room for 3 to go to Rio.
              Sluggo - Awesome race results, and even better news you've found what has worked to alleviate your knee pain.  I've yet to adapt well to my prescribed orthodics.  All the best to you and your team in the 2016 Mileage Games!  
              AZ - Other than the virus floating around, it sounds as you had a great time and a bonus to get renewed on your beloved trails.  Great news the injury is healing.  Hope your travel back to MN went well and in time for the brief warm up!

Trying to get back to some consistency after playing work/home catch up all week.
              F, 2/19 - Ran 3 miles very easy pace.  Exhausted after a long work week, but got it done!
              The indoor track made for a prudent choice with branches and power lines dropping all through the city due to 45mph winds.
              Sa, 2/20 - 2.5 on the bike path to take advantage of the sunny, 50+ degree F weather.  It was fantastic!  Planks/bridges, then stretching at the gym.
              Su, 2/21 - Back at the indoor track for 7+ mile very easy run.  I've been keeping my pace very low to help regain fitness.  I'm getting very tired of turtle pace, though!

M, 2/22 - 20 minutes elliptical, weight training, planks/bridges and stretching.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

Saturday - 3.5 miles of snowshoeing up north in the Adirondacks (45 minutes from our house) ... beautiful sunny & warm weather when we started, cloudy but even warmer when we stopped.  The warm wind helped soften up the snow a bit so we weren't always breaking through the crust that formed during the mid-week rains.

Sunday - 6.7 miles on the elliptical, .7 miles of walking cool down on the treadmill.

Anybody see Deadpool?  Hilarious movie even if it is a bit on the violent side.

Hi everyone   All is going well in northern AZ.  Decided to stay a few days longer and get more short runs on the mtn trails, mostly near home.  Sunday, I did drive to the trail that has a few short hills, less technical and altitude averages 7500 ft.  Was planning on 3 miles but what's another mile if feeling good?!? So finished 4.1 miles, longest distance so far!!  Yippee!! Did a 3 min run and walked 1 min.  Yesterday I ran trail near home, 3 min run to 30 seconds walk.  A bit more technical and more hills but calf/leg felt great the whole time, finished 3.1 miles. YAY!!  Decided to rest today and it's pretty windy anyway.  Lots of errands to do before I leave on Wednesday, don't want to tho'   DH keeps texting me the cold frigid temps in northern MN and so I text him the glorious temps from here, haha!! Calls me a 'show off!!" LOL!! I have a dental seminar to attend in Minneapolis when I return so I do have to go home, LOL!!

Fletch:  so wonderful to hear you are doing very well in your career change program!!  Thank you for clearing up the difference between an actual acupuncturist and a PT who does acupuncture.  I'm very impressed with the treatment and my lateral calf muscles are recovering.

Deb:  so happy that your sis is much better!

adkkev:  your crazy winter sounds like the crazy winter in northern MN!!  I'm not looking forward to my return travels .....

Art:  great 5k finish time!  Was that in south Phx? near the dental school?  Riding bike there is a smart warm up!! \

Everyone else seems to be doing well.

Will post again when I can.

Run safe!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 2/23... check in time again...  Still not up to speed, but doing ok.   Tried a run on the treadmill the other day with just socks on my feet to rule out shoes as the problem with my knee and ended up running pain free for a mile.    So... the issue seems to be my shoes and not my knee.   I got out on the road in the new Altra zero drops I just got for 3 miles the other day and did ok, am now alternating between shoeless runs on the treadmill and short runs outside in the Altras.   Quick story:  Had Sim out for a 3 mile railtrail walk the other day and just after the turnaround at 1.5 miles, I heard a bunch of yelping behind me.   Looked back to see a dogsled team stopped on the trail.    I continued on, but the dogsled stayed put.    A half mile further, the railtrail widens and it was here that a young woman was standing.    I told her a dogsled should be coming and she said she knew, she was waiting for them.    Then I asked if they'd stopped because of me and the dog and she said yes.    I told her I could get Sim out of the way so they couldn't continue if they wanted, but she said no, when the dogs are in a pack mentality like they are when pulling a sled, they're hard to control.    Made me VERY glad they'd stopped, there's somewhere between 10 and 12 dogs pulling their sled...

Sorry for not responding to everyone, but I'll get caught up eventually...

Wanted to tell you though Chantilly, the Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier was run on a hot day, I think it was 80 degrees before they finished.   Shalane Flanagan had a tough time and Desi said it was really tough on her as well.    It was Galen Rupp's first marathon, with that kind of performance the guy stands a good chance of medaling, I'd think...

Art in AZ

Monday rest day due to very early start for work.
                      5 miles this morning. Sunny, cool and windy because of the low front pushing through.

Chantilly - Billy Mills might have signed autographs. I didn't see him doing that but did see him around for a while. Never thought to ask him to sign my bib.

Dan - I'm sure that run outdoors on the Riverwalk felt good. Weather sounds like it improved for a while. It's just luring you into a false sense of an early spring.

Debra - Nice that your sister is doing better.

adkkev - sounds like the weather cooperated and gave you a nice day to be out. Haven't seen Deadpool yet. Have had a few others say the same thing about the movie. They enjoyed it.

AZ - Good that you could get a few extra days here. I'm confused. Isn't Northern AZ home and MN is just a temp move for a while.   The run was at the A. T. Still University campus in Mesa. Much closer than South Phoenix. Now that would be a long morning bike ride.

Rich - Hopefully the shoes will help. Do you see dog sleds a lot there?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

adkkev - Sounds like ideal conditions for your snow shoe adventure!.  DS1 saw Deadpool and thought it was hilarious, violent and raunchy.  That would certainly appeal to my inner 12 year old!  Will catch it on DVD.  Other than the Chris Nolan's Batman series, I'm not a big comic book movie fan, though.  Son and I saw Hail, Caesar! last weekend.   I had high expectations.  Not one of my favorites from the Coen Bros., but even a "just ok" film from them is enjoyable to me!  Hoping to see Race about Jesse Owens this weekend with DS2.
                        AZ - Great you were able to extend your stay, and get a few more good runs on the trails.  Hope your travel today isn't affected by the storm system moving through the Midwest.
                        Rich - Interesting story about the dog sledding team.  There is a woman in town that demos her team of all rescue dogs at winter festivals.  I hope the Altras work out.
                        Art - Nice work battling through the wind for your 5 miles.  Lots of unstable weather across the country.

Tu, 2/23 - Shared the lanes with Marquette U's track team for 3+ miles at the indoor track mid afternoon.  Amazing speed, their recovery pace is light-speed compared to old turtle, me!

Today -  Too many commitments, so will call it a rest day!

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

Adjusting weight work outs at the gym. General feeling of exhaustion when running.  Recently had my iron levels re-checked during recent blood work and it was within guidelines, although on the low end.

TR, 2/25 - 4 miles after work at the indoor track.  Warm up to mid 50 F for the weekend, but the wind blasts return with it.

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/24... 2 mile treadmill run with socks on my feet...

Thursday, 2/25... sunshine and 60 degrees this morning!   Couldn't resist, so grabbed the shoes, shorts and shirt and headed out for a road run.   It wasn't perfect, but I'm making progress,   4 miles with 1 walk break the first mile, 2 in the second, then I ran into a tough headwind  and lost count of the walk breaks...   Progress is progress...

Friday, 2/26... another 2 mile treadmill run wearing just socks.   I know, it's weird but it works...

gito... your iron levels might be on the low side, but your Iron will is strong as ever...   Good luck getting your weight workouts on track...

rmcj001

Every now and then you have those good training days going...then...

Yesterday was more or less an easy day and goal was to keep mouth closed whole time.  It was going really well and I wanted to get 8 miles in before meeting DW for an earthquake lecture at the USGS. At 6.5 miles left calf started to tighten up a bit, ok - I was pretty close to last turn around so kept going. Turned around at just past 7 miles and was still moving really well. Calf was a bit tighter, but not too bad. At 7.5 miles calf was starting to complain, but I realized if I walked I wasn't going to get back in time. At mile 8 realized I'd moved into the "strain" area, but still needed to get back, so backed off a bit. Calf is still pretty sore after icing and rolling.  Looks like a couple of URDs. One good thing, I can still go pretty quickly while breathing through my nose 

Ray

Art in AZ

Wednesday and Thursday were rest days because of work.

5 miles this morning squeezed in before work.

Debra - I've had those days where running feels tougher than it should be. So I just change focus for a few days.

Rich - You're correct. Progress is progress. The socks provide a small bit of protection. And I think it's a mental thing.

Ray - You should be back to normal runs soon. Working on breathing through the nose sounds easier than it is.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ