50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2015 runs and workouts (Read 8 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 97... 10 miles this morning.   Right calf was tight the whole way, even though I used the foam roller on it this morning and stopped to stretch after an easy first mile warm up.     Happy with the run and the distance though, the goofy calf muscle should come around at some point...  13:06, 9:11, 9:02, 8:56, 9:03, 8:54, 8:51, 8:43, 8:51 and eased up the last mile in 9:47.    Nothing great, but longer than I've been running lately, so it's progress...

Art.. nice mileage as usual.   Wonder what happened to your bagel maker, that's a long ways to ride to come away disappointed, hopefully that's a one time deal.

Ray... yeah, I feel good about how I'm running lately.    Hoping to run a half late in September, but I have to be able to run hard for 13 miles and I'm not there yet by any stretch.    Congrats on the 10K, that's a solid run for a guy just coming back off an injury.    And you bounced right back judging by Sunday's workout, good for you!

justrundan

NHRich- nice pace for having a tight calf.  way to go.

Chantilly- Yes, it sure is a different world now-a-days.  And continuing to change so rapidly.

Ray- Wow, 7 overall but 3rd in AG- that's a tough AG you were in!.  Nice race and nice runs.

Art- That a shame.  A bad bagel is really bad!

AZ- I won't be retiring when DW does, but I will probably start to use some of the annual vacation days I never use.  When you've been working in the same place for over 30 yrs, I get a lot of vacation time.   currently don't even use 1/3 of it.  That will change as I 'ease into retirement'. 

The HM isn't until early November (the one I'm doing instead of Rails to Trails).  I am going to do a local HM in 2 weeks with a friend from church.  it raises money for the WI Dells HS track and cross country teams.  I'll just do it as a training run, experiment with some run/walk intervals and see what works.  It is quite hilly, and no shade, so I'm hoping the cooler weather this next week continues for that race.  It'd be brutal if the weather is like it is now.

I did get in 4 consecutive days of running and DW&I biked into town to our favorite coffee shop today.  Still hot/muggy here, so we had a cold frappe and then headed home, about 16 miles total.  My runs were all slow, with run/walk, except Friday which was all walk. (Thursday I tried some different stretches before running, and half way through that run got a pain in left thigh, just below the groin. Guess I need to be more careful with those active stretches! )  So Friday I just walked 5 miles to take it easy, and no pain on runs Saturday or Sunday.  I took a kitchen sized trash bag with me on Friday and filled it with assorted litter that had been tossed!  Lots of beer cans, soda cans, energy drink cans, fast food trash!  Drives me crazy!

Hope you all had enjoyable long weekends.

Dan

rmcj001

NHRich - If rolling out the calf isn't working and it fairly tight for the whole run, you might need to take a day off.  You can try massaging it, I believe there are some youtube video's that will help.  10 miles? That must have felt good!

Dan - Be careful with the groin, those and abdominal pulls are the worst. 4 consecutive days of running?!  Awesome!  I hear you on the litter, tho more of a problem here are inconsiderate dog owners.  Especially the ones who bag the poop and then leave it by the side of the trail ?!

Almost missed yesterday, got a 7.3 mile treadmill run in.  That first mile was tough and kept saying just get 3 miles in.  At 3 miles things were loose enough that felt for sure I would get 5 miles in.  At 5 thought, just make it to 6.  At 6, said ok let's get to 7.  When I got 7.3 said 'that's good." 

Tuesday, 9/8, 8.4 miles in 90F+ , we're having a heat wave.  Followed by a 2mile cool down walk. Not supposed to cool off until the weekend.

Ray

Chantilly75

az2mntrail 12 miles in 80+F is great. It will help you when you're back in AZ. I'd like to run Winnipeg also, but it is usually pretty hot there in June.

rmcj001 Good job on your race with your injury! 3rd AG.You have to let the other  fellas win once in awhile…

Congrats to your wife! I like your photo of the scorpion, hope not to meet one!

As to accountability by telling others..I don't like telling people about a race before I run it.  Feel like I may be jinxing myself...

NH Runner Nice long run for you.  Hope the soreness "rolls out."  Are your trees starting to turn?

justrundan Good running and biking for you.  And an environmentally conscious guy, also!

Yeah, it is easy to over-stretch and not realize till later on. Hope its ok.

Art in AZ Nice longish runs for you in the relatively cooler weather. That is a bummer about the bagels…just when you find a place you like…they change...

4 miles on Monday, then worked.

10 miles today then had a massage.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

8 miles on the track. Back to work.

Ordered some discounted shoes online. This usually works out for me, so we'll see.

Don't really like the Kinvara 6 I bought earlier at the LRS.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/8 ran a 2 mile recovery run and took Wednesday off...

Thursday, 9/10... 6 mile railtrail run today.   Pace was mid 9:00's early, then low 9:00's the last 2 miles.    Right leg's a still a little weird, so I'll just take it easy 'til it comes around.   I think it's got to do with adapting to the latest form change, but could be wrong.    At any rate, I'm running so I ain't complainin'. lol

Ray... your post is why I took yesterday off.   Rest is never a bad idea and the leg did feel better today, so thanks.    Nice runs the last couple of days, your heat would kill me...

Chantilly... yes, I noticed while I was out today the leaves are starting to change color.   I love this time of year with the Fall colors and cooler air and always look forward to a trip to the local apple orchard, but then December gets here and ruins everything...lol     You're logging some nice mileage lately, your half marathon is next weekend, right?     Good luck with the discounted shoes...

Dan... good for you for picking up other people's trash, that stuff drives me nuts too.    Between the runs, walk and bike ride, you had a good week of staying active.    Nice...

Art in AZ

Well it's been a few days.

6 miles Monday thinking I should get a few runs in at this distance for a couple of upcoming 10K races in Nov.

3 miles walking Tuesday as a sort of rest day.

8 miles Wednesday morning.

3 quick miles Thursday before doctor's appointment. Doc said I was fine, keep doing what I'm doing.

5 miles this morning, Friday. It felt a couple of degrees cooler but is still somewhat humid out. But the temps are going down.

Ray - Good mileage for you and congrats on the 10K finish. The looking for scorpions with a black light is one of the highlights of the night hike.

Rich - Nice 10 mile run. Bet you felt good after finishing that. Shows you're getting back there.

Dan - 4 days of running and some biking cross-training for a reward of a cup of coffee. Sounds good. I'm with you on the litter. Fridays is our recycling pickup day and so any stuff I see that can go in the can I stop and pickup and put in the can. It's my good deed for the day.

Chantilly - Some nice miles for you. Too bad about the shoes. Does the store have a decent return/exchange policy? Right now in the garden I have planted seeds of green beans, beets, radishes, snow and snap peas, onions and carrots. This weekend hope to get seeds for broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and some spices. I just planted small rows so I can do multiple plantings and harvests. Now I have to wait for them to grow.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Chantilly - Some nice runs you're getting in!  New shoes are a pain - the thing about the VFFs is you don't have to worry too much about how they'll feel (very slight differences between the models I've tried). Good luck with the new shoes.

NHRich - Maybe it is just age on the calves, NYTimes on Slowing with Age - upshot is our calves and ankles seem to be affected by the aging process more then the rest of the leg.

Art - Looks like our heat wave may be headed your way. Looks like your 10K preparation is going well.  Garden sounds nice.

Wed, DW and DS2 came by for lunch so missed the 100F weather, yeah it was only 82F at home at 10PM when I did my 8 miles progressive run on TM - lucky me!

Thu, got out a little earlier then usual, but temps were 97F at end of run 8.1 miles followed by 2 mile walk.

Fri, only 90F for run today 10.4 miles - tried to keep a fairly even pace after 1st mile, still by mile 10 I was kaput.

Have a great weekend and good luck to all those racing.

Ray

Things have been busy with our getting ready for our drive home to AZ.  And temps have really been on the cooler side with 40s at night and 60s during the day.  Clouds make it even better with a slight breeze, just perfect for running outdoors.  But, I had to get in some intervals so got some TM runs in the gym on Tuesday, 8.1 miles.  Another TM day on Wednesday, 4.1 miles.  Leg muscles could feel those workouts so decided on rest day on Thursday.

Today, Friday, paused and sent good vibes to NYC for their resilience on the 14th anniversary of 9-11.  Then drove to state park.  It was only 64 degrees and plenty of clouds for shade, perfect!! Mostly ran on the dirt/grassy trail.  Wore my new hydration vest again and had plenty of water and Perpetuem.  Got hungry at mile 14, could feel energy declining but pushed on and finished 18.2 miles, YIPPEE!!  Glad I had a banana in the car after my run.  We are leaving tomorrow morning so I will post when I can .......when I run ......wherever we stay the night.  We decided to visit my parents in northern NM instead of driving straight to northern AZ.  And my aunt's (mother's sister) health is failing more (has been for a couple of years) and the family has been told that it's only a matter of time. So I'm glad we are going 'home' at this time.

Safe running and safe travels everyone.  

Art in AZ

11 miles this morning. Still warm here but the humidity dropped into the 40s. So it is getting drier out.

Ray - Must be the weather we are getting now. Forecasting chance of rain Sunday afternoon through Tuesday morning with cooler temps. This is the time of the year where it starts to get cooler. Some nice runs for you in the heat.

AZ - The weather there sounds nice for running. Weather in Flagstaff should be close to that when you get here. Hope your aunt feels better. Though I knows how it feels as I have a few in the same position.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 9/11... 4 mile easy railtrail run.    Picked the pace up as the run progressed, trying to simulate a recovery run...

Saturday, 9/12... 6 mile road run today, an out and back through the local covered bridge.    Splits were ok after the first mile warm-up, but I can't run relaxed because of the discomfort in my right leg...11:36, 9:09, 8:42, 8:46, 8:34 and 8:46.     After running a couple of errands, it was off to the local horse farm to take advantage of the free horse manure they were giving away...lol   I had trouble containing myself as I shoveled a bunch of it into a 50 gallon tote in the back of my pick-up...lol  Then it was back home with the precious cargo and more shoveling as I added to the compost pile I've had percolating for a couple of weeks now...

Art... you're running really well lately, nice to get that 11 miler in...

Ray... I read the NY Times article, bottom line is "Don't Get Old", eh? lol     Funny the article talk should about shorter stride length, it's something I've been working on.    If you raise your knee a little higher on the forward leg as you run, it accomplishes 2 things.     It adds a split second to the amount of time your trailing leg goes rearward, allowing your hip to rotate just a little more.    In essence, increasing your stride length.    And I forgot to mention the bird I saw during yesterday's run, just as I hit the trestle and could see the downstream section of the river, a white headed bird of prey was flying by with a large fish held in its talons.     I haven't looked it up, but Osprey came to mind.    Would that be right?

az...  nice weather for a run, congrats on the 18.1 miles!     It's good you're going home, your folks will be glad to see you....

Art in AZ

Couldn't decided whether to run or bike ride this morning. Well the bike ride won out. An easy 21 mile out and back on mostly the side streets. Into the wind on the way out and wind pushing me on the way back home.

Rich - Nice couple of runs. Hard to get a rhythm when your legs ache. Could be an osprey. The only white headed big birds I know of are an eagle, the osprey and a bird called a kite. I'm sure there are others but these are what come to mind right now.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice active recovery runs for the leg, there.  You are going to be quite the gardener with that compost pile.

Art in AZ Some good workouts the past week.  10 Km's can be painful, but you have those stadium stair runs to help. Plus the biking.

LRS won't take back shoes after 30 days/used outside.  I can wear them for shorter distance or work.  I've worn  Kinvaras since they came out, but don't care for this version.

rmcj001 Good job getting in the runs in the heat.  That's unusually hot for this time of year?  Won't help your dry conditions, any.

Interesting article on ageing and speed and I read some of the comments.

az2mntrail Nice treadmill runs and then an 18 miler!  Hope you have a safe trip.

Local HM report:

Temperatures today were 46-66F, so a perfect day for a race.  About 5600 runners took part in the various distances offered over the 2 day weekend.  I started out following the 2 hour pacer, which was too fast for me. The race signs are posted in miles and km's.

29:04 @ 3 miles

1:02 @ 10 Km.

1:36 @ 15 Km

2:15 @ 13.1 miles.

14/41 AG ….Who are all these old ladies? and where do they train? 

425/1429 gender place.

I should have run the FM, because I just can't run any faster, I was almost out of breath the whole time.  I should do some speed work, too. 

Then I ran a half mile back to my car. Not even tired.  I'm looking for an ultra. They are easier...

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

4 miles on the track. Only a little achy, especially quads.

Yard work later.

2 of my fav. motivational signs held up by bystanders at the race:

"1/2 marathon??….well, you're only HALF crazy!"

"Generic inspirational race sign applicable to everyone"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Nice race!  I would say you might want to add a little speed work to improve your times, but I suspect you enjoy exactly what you're doing, so why mess it up?  The 100F weather isn't unusual so much, but probably a little warmer then most of our "hot" spells.  The fire up in Napa/Lake counties looks pretty bad.

Art - Nice bike ride! Gotta love the strategy with the wind.  I do a lot of my runs going uphill on the way out just so I can finish with a downhill...

Az - Some good runs there!  Anything over 15 feels like a slog to me, great that you got in and enjoyed it!  Safe trip to Arizona and thoughts are with you and your aunt.

Rich - like Art said, Ospreys are close in wing span to a Bald Eagle, but IIRC about 1/2 their weight.  Habitat is about the same for them. Kites are smaller and tend to be a grayish color vs the brown and dark brown of the Osprey and Eagle and are more "land" birds.  DW and I have see a few Bald eagles in the Bay Area (we know location of a nesting pair) and their is a pair of Kites on one of our normal hiking spots, tho this weekend there were 4!  The consistency seems to be coming back!

Saturday, 68F - yes the temps dropped that much and high might have been 70F on Saturday.  Nice progressive run through the neighborhood, first mile was about 9:10 (mol)and finished up .3 at around a 7mpm pace for a total of 8.3 miles in 65:45 minutes.  Felt really good to stretch it out and did better then I expected.

Sunday, 76F inside when I did my TM run late nice slow 7.3 miles in 1:05 and change.

Ray