50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2015 runs and workouts (Read 8 times)

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/12... took the day off from running, but spent the better part of the day rebuilding the bin for my compost pile.    I usually end up doing things twice before I get it right and this was no exception...

Monday, 9/13... 9 mile run today, I used the railtrail for a first mile walk /jog to warm up, then headed up the road.     Eased up with a half mile to go, splits looked like this...11:37, 9:04, 8:49, 8:46, 8:42, 8:45, 8:46, 8:44, 4:18 and 5:15.    Temp was 54 degrees with a pesky wind...

Chantilly... Congrats on the half!    You placed pretty well in your age group, that's a respectable time in my book.   No matter how fast we run, it's never fast enough, is it? lol    I like that you got out of your comfort zone a little, it never hurts to throw something different at your body to give it something new to adapt to.    Speed work is ok, but a great way to get hurt as well.   (I'm an expert on this...)    I suppose you could go run a 5K now, those can be fun...

Art... I'm pretty sure it was an Osprey I saw, we see the occasional Bald Eagle in the area and this bird was nowhere near as big.     Quite a sight just the same, it made my day.    Here's a list of critters I've seen on the railtrail... moose, deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, mother black bear with cub, red tailed hawk, grey fox and now an osprey.    I noticed you're throwing in some shorter runs, are you running them as recovery runs?    Nice bike ride!

Ray... must be something to see a nesting pair of Bald Eagles, we do see 'em occasionally, but they don't seem to stay long.     You've got to be pleased with that progression run, you've come back as strong as ever....

Art in AZ

3 easy miles Monday morning just to start the day.

Decided to take a rest day today. No run or walk.

Chantilly - Congrats on the half. The numbers indicate a popular event to me. Even if it was spread over the weekend. It's funny on how the numbers fluctuate for different events. One event had a lot of age group runners from a company doing the charity thing as a group.

Ray - Sounds like you get a wide variety up there by the water.

Rich - I looked at your splits and thought the wind was really helping you on the way back.  Yes, I use the shorter runs as a recovery run. Just a run to help loosen up a little before I face the day. It would be great to see the different animals along the trail running. With the weather cooling off a few degrees here I'm hoping I can get a couple of 'longer' runs in without taking a walk break because of the heat.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

rmcj001 You seem to be recovering nicely. I never watch the news, so I am late in seeing just how bad the fires in Cal. are. Are they near to you? Do you get the smoke? I agree about the speed work, but am kinda lazy...

NH Runner You were speeding up quite a bit on your run. Hope your leg is holding up. The rail trail is more scenic than I would think.  I guess the animals aren't too bothered by bikers and runners.

Yeah, those 5 km's are a riot! 

Art in AZ  Hope it is cooler for your races in Oct. Did you find a new bagel place?

Thanks for all the well wishes.

7 miles on the track in my new Salomon X-Scream shoes. They are sort of a hybrid road/trail.  Never tried this company before.  The shoes feel like a Ghost 7 on the soles of my feet, which means the arch support may become a problem for the right foot over a long run. But there is no forefoot pressure, so the left foot was happy.  We'll see.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

6 miles on the track. Still a bit stiff overall.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/15... ran 5 miles as a recovery run today, but must have run it too fast.   So...

Wednesday... took the day off.

Thursday... 4 mile railtrail run this morning.   Pace was mid 9:00's after warm-up mile.   Hoping to get in something long this weekend...

Art... yeah, a quick glance at those late splits might make you think I had a hurricane helping me along...lol    I'm also experimenting with short recovery runs, up until the last one they were working pretty good.

Chantilly... my leg's actually starting to come around.    I thought if I just kept logging miles it'd toughen up and it looks like I was right.    Good luck with the new running shoes, I think the pair I run the railtrail in could win an ugly shoe contest, they're so bad...lol

rmcj001

NHRich - Best to stay healthy and keep the running going.  Yes, the bald eagles are something, the pair seems to like their lake - we've been told they've been nesting in the same spot for at least 3 years now.  We did see a juvenile in the same area - seemed to be playing on the wind currents and we enjoyed it almost as much as it did.

Art - Rest/Recovery time is as important as workout sessions.  Don't feel guilty about taking a day off, just don't make a habit of it 

Chantilly - Not sure how far away the fires are, 75 to 100 miles about.  Wind isn't blowing the right way for us to get smoke here, but the last one in the same county brought smoke our way.  We got rain last night (at least where the fire is) and think that is helping.

Tue, 6.9 miles on treadmill.

Wed, 10.3 miles after work before going home.

Thu, not yet we'll see.  Work got in the way today.

Oh, I think I can register for Boston tomorrow!  Can't wait!

Ray

Art in AZ

8 miles Wednesday morning.

5 miles this morning. Weather is cooling off a little finally. Finally ran in the new Brooks I bought a while back. So far they feel good.

Checked the garden after running and noticed that the green bean shoots were gone. What the heck. How did that happen? They are covered with 1" chicken wire. If it was the birds, they didn't touch the peas, cucumbers, beets, radishes or onions. Well I'll have to plant some more seeds this weekend.

Chantilly - Haven't looked for a new bagel place yet. I'll try this place one more time and see if there is a change for the better.

Rich - My recovery runs just depend on how I feel. Sometimes a bike ride, sometimes a 3 or 5 mile easy run. Well lately most of my runs have been easy because of the hot weather. Pretty soon I'll have to start speeding up a little.

Ray - Good luck getting into Boston.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Art - DW is always complaining about the critters modifying her gardening.  Several occasions where freshly planted plants have been neatly pulled up and then laid to the side?!  Good to hear the shoes are working out.

So, Thursday turned into a rest day with almost nothing, DS2 and I walked around the block.  Late dinner and early bed (well, for me).

Got up a 7:15 and filled out my Boston registration - yeah, I'm a little pumped.  Will get confirmation of acceptance some time later (I hope). $180 or about 50% more then any other marathon I've done, but hopefully it will be worth it.

10.6 mile slow recovery run this afternoon.  My goal was to have every mile be between 9 and 9:30, only messed up on 3 miles (first was 10:30, and miles 5 and 9  at 8:59.6 close enough.  Weather is supposed to warm up this weekend with inland temps near 100F on Sunday.  Hope it is cool for half tomorrow morning.

Ray

Art in AZ

4 miles this morning around the neighborhood.

Ray - Whatever ate the plants has me baffled. Maybe I'll setup a camera to keep an eye on the area. Oh well. More planting this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Ray- good luck getting in to Boston!

Art- nice it's cooling off a little for you!

NRRich- nice times on those runs.

Chantilly- nice HM!

Several weeks ago decided to do a small local HM as a long training run in prep for the HM in Madison in early November.  A friend who attends the same church talked with me and we decided to do it together, despite lack of great training miles for either of us.  Great cool temps to start, find the friend, he tells me he's dropping down to the 4 mi race, has to cut out early due to family visiting.

I ran this once before, it was the first HM i ever ran.  I had forgotten how hilly the last 5 miles are! 

Most of that was directly into the west wind.  Ugh!  I finished, but it was no pretty.

After DW driving me home and showering/recovering we went to Madison to do more test driving, need to replace her old Subaru Outback before winter.  Then supper at a great pizza place with DD & her hubby.

Everyone enjoy your weekend!

Dan

Chantilly75

NH Runner Wise of you to take the Wed. off.  Hope it worked out for you this W/E.

I don't really care what shoes look like as long as they feel good, but these Salomon shoes are a very nice blue/purple colour.

rmcj001 Congratulations on being able to register for Boston!  Hope you can get in. Were you very much below the standard?  I think it helps if you're more under the standard than others in your AG….

That is strange about the plants pulled up and laid to the side..  Nice to hear you got some rain.

Art in AZ  That's also strange about the bean sprouts.  I saw a gardening site that had plastic forks inserted between the plants to keep critters away and also lemon/orange peels. Peppermint and garlic are supposed to be helpful. Rosebushes always do better if garlic is planted along with.

justrundan Congrats on your HM! (pretty or not, its all good) Nice day out for you and your wife.

8 miles yesterday morning outside in sweats, mitts, touque in 38F, then did more yard work in the afternoon.

15 miles this morning on the track plus walked 1 mile. Wearing the Montrail Fluid Flex I bought online. They are fairly flat but cushioned and fit almost like a slipper.  Very nice.

3 miles @ 3 pm outside. (73F & sunny)

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 easy miles around the area where the grandboys were playing football. Early games. One started at 8:00 AM which meant he had to be there by 6:30 AM. Got them in while he was getting ready for the game. The other game followed after.

11.5 miles this morning following my normal 8 mile route and added a few along the canal where I ride the bike. Pleasant run while working on running with fewer breaks.

Dan - I agree with Chantilly. Congrats on the half. Pretty or not you didn't let the hills beat you. And then piazza later. Yum. Pizza.

Chantilly - 39F! Yikes. Was that a sudden drop or has it been working its way down for a while? Nice miles for those days. I planted some more today so I'll have to think of trying something to help prevent them from "disappearing" again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Hope the football games were fun for the kids.  Nice run along the canal.

I'm on the prairie, so we can have frost overnight now and then get up to the 70's after lunch.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 9/18...4 mile railtrail run

Saturday, 9/19... off.

Sunday, 9/20... visit to the local apple orchard, then 7 mile railtrail run later in the day.   I swear the beach type sandy footing in places along the trail is messing with my knees.     The muscle on the inside of the knees is sore and so are the knees.  (A little)    I looked up the muscle's name and it's function and one of the first things to show up is "Runner's Knee."   Apparently the muscle's main function is to keep the knee cap properly aligned and if it's weak or tired, it doesn't do its job.    I need to find another place to run...

ray... good luck getting into Boston.    It's a pretty elite group that's able to get in, your hard work has paid off.     Your runs are looking good lately too, nice!

Art,... hope you find out what happened to the green bean shoots, that's one of the vegs. I want to plant next spring.    Nice workouts lately for you as well...

Dan... 13.1 miles is no walk in the park, you did well to finish.    Being able to train consistently would have been nice, eh?    Anyway, good for you, if this stuff were easy, everyone would be doing it...

Chantilly... we hit 38 degrees this morning as well.    Yesterday's high was 65 with a pretty stiff wind and why I ended up running the railtrail, it gets me out of the wind.    Congrats on the new shoes and the solid mileage...

Chantilly75

NH Runner ..about the sandy conditions messing with your knees.  Do you do any leg weights for the knees?  I have a lot of stairs and find my knees hurt if I don't use the leg extension/flexion machines at the gym every week to keep that muscle strengthened. Although you do lots of biking, so that should help? Jealous about the apple orchard.  Hope you got to pick some good ones.

6 miles.

Sonata Arctica