50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs, Workouts and Excuses... (Read 11 times)

NH: any humidity above 40% is brutal but it's all relative, right? At least the temp wasn't bad. Good job on the 10 miler, yay!! Running in the fog is risky to me if I have to run along a semi-busy road or even in the neighborhood. But sounds like you were definite on getting the 10 miler. Give it a week and go for another one.

Led: double runs are nice when you're body has adapted and it sounds like you're itching to add one or two more miles. Good job on getting out there in that brutal (see above) weather conditions. It's the same just north of you .....up in northern MN. Prediction of rain tomorrow has gotten the ppl all excited, haha!

Altair: hope you are getting some rest days.

Art:  yes, this will be our last move. In our earlier years, we moved about every 3-4 yrs which I didn't mind. Half of our stuff never got unpacked. Great bike ride!! Still along the canal route?

Today: had a zoom conference most of the day. Another day of NO running. I just don't feel like it. The humidity is depressing and I'm not finding any joy in making myself suffer in that. DH and I spent the evening loading the last of the stuff in the trailer. "Leaving day" keeps getting delayed. We think we will be leaving on Friday. Another reason for my state of depression is sadness.......my cousin's son was diagnosed with cancer early in the year. He's only in his 30s. Despite treatments, he had to be hospitalized last week in Albq. Was put on life support and not responding. Family made decision to take him off life support. He passed away on Monday evening. Then my dad was hospitalized for a couple of days but he recovered and is home now.......until the next time. I'm glad my siblings are close enough to help each other take turns in taking care of my parents. I do what I can from a distance.

Thurs:  Another NO RUN day........it rained all morning. Then sun came out but smoke from a house fire southeast of us messed up our air quality. Even Bones didn't like it. Short PiYo and weight workout. DH is stalking the weather channel. Think we are leaving Saturday to avoid any severe rainstorms. I've been packed for 2 wks.

Where's everyone??? 

I'm sounding like a parrot ..............Another rainy morning, another NO RUN day ........but will get in another home workout later today.

Looks like we are leaving tomorrow. Last minute stuff to do and clean house which is easy to do as there is hardly anything around. I like it.

dhuffman63

Trails

I have done nothing all week except work on work.  Sat I have a massage in the afternoon and might take a nap.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thursday morning was supposed to be the normal routine, except the sunrise was so beautiful that I ran in the opposite direction so I could see it longer, and stand on top of the dam and gaze at it for a while. Temp was nice, too. This morning I got up at 5 to give me time to ride my bike to work. It also gave me a little more running time, so I went a mile with the dog (we saw a fox), and 4 miles solo. No sunrise; swarms of gnats instead.

Rich - Another cute DGGD pic!

az - Yay - you're wrapping up the move today! I don't remember - are you listing your MN place for sale now?  Sorry the weather has been sucky lately.   Oh, I'm so sorry about your cousin's son. It's totally unfair for a person to be taken so early in life. That's gotta be hard for everyone.

NH Runner

Friday, 8/27... played golf yesterday and ran a 5 miler on the trail today.  Interrupted the run long enough to work in a last minute VO2Max workout at the 3.5 mile mark.  Twelve 30 second sprints with a 30 second break between each.  The idea is to be out of breath during the entire workout, which I was, but don't know what benefit I'll get at this point... Lol  I've done this workout in the past, where you increase the number of repeats by one a week, 'til you hit 20.  Then start over at 12 again, but increase the sprint time to a minute, with a 1 minute break between each, adding a sprint each week 'til you get to 20 again.  DW's brother is coming for a visit today, so I'm going to be in and out of here for a couple of weeks, busy with family.

Az... I'm lucky to have the railtrail close by, early in the morning there's no ATV traffic, so I basically have the trail all to myself at that hour.  And no, I wouldn't be out on the highway in a thick fog either, but the trail's perfect for it!

Led... good deal on the run and watching the sunrise!   Sounds like a fun run.   DGGD's cute, ain't she?! 

Di... you'll get 'em next week!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

After working 7 am to 9 pm both Saturday and Sunday I was glad to count on just an 8 hour shift Monday evening. Just did some yard work mowing the lawn before work, it was hot and humid and did not feel like running but wanted to get the lawn done while it was dry. Tuesday I thought I may get stuck overnight, so rested before work. Fortunately a "float" staff picked up the overnight so I did not have to! Wednesday I knew almost sure I would get stuck, so I just rested and took a short nap before work. Sure enough I had to work from 2:30 pm to 6:30 am Thursday morning. Thursday, supposedly one of my days off, but with the overnight shift wearing me down it was just spent resting, taking short naps and going to sleep early. Basically the day was shot because I was so tired the whole day from working overnight. A bit cooler today remaining in the 70's. Finished mowing most of the lawn and cut some small branches that overhung the yard that my head would hit when mowing. Should go running, but guess I'll just prepare dinner and relax now. No word on the FMLA approval. Rumor has it the HR people were spoken to for granting so much FMLA, the higher ups in Albany say overtime is part of the job description. When I talked to HR they basically recommended quitting if I was not willing to work all the overtime. I get that you must be there to help whenever needed if you are doing personal care, but the situation has become unreasonable.

My work situation will have to change before I can have any type of consistency needed to improve my running. I expect now to loss what little fitness I have. I would be lucky to get in one run a week the way things are going. Perhaps I need to consider just some easier alternatives, such as walks and hikes or getting out on my bike for a ride, neither of which I've done for a long while.

I've read your posts, but may wait until the start of next month to post replies. Just will give my condolences to az for the early passing of her cousin's son, sad to go at such an early age.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Saturday - I took the dog for a 1.6 mile loop on the park back trail, which is shady and nice, and a change from our usual. We both enjoyed it. Then it was time for my training plan-prescribed tempo run. Well, from the very start, my body said at this temperature, I'm gonna be telling you what our tempo is, bucko. I tried to ignore it, but my body won out, especially in the final miles, when I even had to stop several times for rest and water.  So yeah, tempo run in the sense that my body set the tempo.

Today, Sunday - Thunderstorms last night, overcast and much cooler this morning - like 20 degrees cooler. Pretty humid, but I'll take it. 1.6 miles with the dog, and 8 miles solo.

Rich - Your VO2 workout sounds tough, especially keeping it going day after day. Gotta be good for you!

Altair - We all agree, your work situation is untenable. You seem pretty resigned to enduring it until you can retire - or maybe you're getting pushed over the edge of quitting. It's tough. Your residents need you, but you can't be at your best under those circumstances. If HR cared about the residents, they would care more about the employees as well.

NH Runner

Rich - Your VO2 workout sounds tough, especially keeping it going day after day. Gotta be good for you!

Sunday, 8/29... just a quick check-in to clarify to Led the VO2Max workout.  It's not something you run every day, you run it once a week.  Each WEEK you increase the number of repeats by one... 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sunday, 8/29... just a quick check-in to clarify to Led the VO2Max workout.  It's not something you run every day, you run it once a week.  Each WEEK you increase the number of repeats by one... 

Got it. Still sounds pretty tough. 

dhuffman63

Trails

8/30...well I did a very slow 30 min walk today. 1.35 miles.  I've a headache and tired.  Tons of work to do also.

dhuffman63

Trails

8/31 another 1.36 slow 30 min walk.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I took the dog for a nice, uneventful run this morning, then decided to use the bathroom before going on my solo run. At that moment, a gale swept in - man, it was fierce, and it was a good thing I was inside. Checking later, it was raining (horizontally, I would say) at the rate of 3.5 inches per hour. I went back to bed rather than run in that. Had I not needed the bathroom, I would have been in the thick of it. It only lasted about 1/3 hour, so we got about an inch.

Made up for it tonight after work, taking the dog for 1.6 miles and myself for 3.6 miles.

Keep it up, Di!

dhuffman63

Trails

So I finished Aug with 24 miles.  So far the whole of 2021 is 31 miles so I have a 50k there  it just took 8 months to do.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So I finished Aug with 24 miles.  So far the whole of 2021 is 31 miles so I have a 50k there  it just took 8 months to do.

So that's a BIG jump from January - July.  Almost got a marathon in August! Big grin