50 and over 5k and beyond

November 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 10 times)

justrundan

AZ- It's the first time I've run this race; it is about 75 minutes to the start of the race on the capital square in Madison.  Starts and finishes there, HM will have a nice run along the lake and through the swankiest neighborhood in Madison.  There is a runner from Chicago who is  on the My Last Run Was... forum doing the race, we hope to meet at the start.  One of our clinic managers is doing the FM as part of a challenger series; she did a twilight 10 in the spring, the following day a HM,and by doing the FM as last race in the series she will get a special racing medal.

It will be about 32 at the start of the race, but sunny and warming up.

Rich- nice 5K you had.  Too bad on the pie!

Art- enjoy all that time watching the grandkids!

Sluggo-  good for you keeping at it!

Dan

NH: WAY TO GO!! Bummer about the "60 y.o. punk" who ran away with the pie!! What kind of pie was it? You did awesome despite the slow recovery from injury.  Congrats on a great finish!

Sluggo:  good to hear from you and glad you are still getting out to run.  Sub 30 for 5k is GREAT in my book!!

Dan:  It's been pretty chilly so I hope it does warm up for your race. Like I always say, "it could be worse!" Run fast!!

Art:  your grandkids must really appreciate you making their games, good for you!!

Woke up to a SUNNY DAY !!  Gorgeous so I had to go for another short run around mid-day.  3.1 miles around the fairgrounds again.  Could have run longer but I hope to get in a long run sometime next week. About 40 degrees and slight breeze but after a mlle, I was feeling pretty warm.  So ran 6 days this week! YIPPEE! DH got tickets for the live broadcast variety show "Prairie Home Companion" for tonight.  We listen to it on our trips.  Sometimes the music gets a bit too 'twangy/folksy' but we enjoy the stories.  Dinner out after the show .........everyone else did the same so the few nice places to eat around here were standing room only!  Show was great, musical guest was Elvin Bishop, wow!! Anybody remember him? He's in his 70s now but still jammin'.

rmcj001

NHRich - No, pie  - oh, well.  2nd ain't too shabby!  Sounds like it was an improvement over the last 5K, so that's good news!  Great job!

Dan - Hope the HM went well. Sounds like a fun trip.

Sluggo - Good to see you're still at it.  That's the important thing - never give up! Never surrender!

Az - Yes, DW, DS1 and his GF all ran the marathon this past Saturday. Sounds like you're getting in some good runs. 5 days!  Yay!  Think it is better to be consistent and to vary the mileage and pace.  Guess I'm saying I approve running most days of the week and keep things changing...

Art - Congrats to the GS and his team!  Will you be heading to Florida too?

Chantilly - Hope things are well.

Fletch - How did the marathon go?

Friday, quick 3.3 miles on TM (well, actually it was really slow - but whole run was quicker then normal). Then headed down south.

Saturday, Canyon City Marathon:

Whole crew woke up just before 4AM and started getting ready.  Grabbed the sack breakfast that hotel made available and were on way to busing point by 4:30AM.  Were directed to large parking lot and then joined the long line of runners loading buses.  Bus is a very international flavor with people speaking spanish, korean, japanese, german and manadarin.  Bus heads out just after 5:00AM and we start the 26.2 miles journey to the top of the mountain.  The road is already closed off and the only traffic are the buses heading to the start line.  We finally make it to the top and sun is coming out.  Temps are somewhere south of 50F and it feels cold! They let us know that drop bags need to  on truck by 6:45AM.  We head to the port-a-potties to take care of business.  Head back to start line, grab a space blanket. Get a photo at starting line of our small group. Load drop bag, wrap up in space blanket (ooh, they're warmer then they look!).  Put bags on truck and start looking for pace groups. Everyone starts over to the start line and we all find our various pace groups.  DW heads over to the 4:10 group, GF with 4:00 pacer, DS1 and I to the 3:25 group. Pacer is describing strategy and there's a large group around him. Finally race starts.

Takes just a little while to get across the start line and a bit extra to stay with the pacer as we start to pass people. Pacer is talking and people are trying to stay with him. Pace band has first 13 miles at 7:41 to 7:43 per mile and we hit first mile mark at 7:28.  Pacer says we're a bit fast and tries to slow down a bit. DS1 is out in front a bit and I go with him. We hit mile 2 at 7:20 and DS1 is still accelerating a bit. Somewhere between mile 2 and 3 I lose site of him. I'm occasionally talking to people just to keep the pace easy and yet mile 3 is 7:18 (there was a little bit of uphill as we do a bit of out and back). Hit first aid station and I grab a water and then mile 4 which will be my fastest mile time at 7:06. I'm running pretty easy at this point and am generally aware that I'm going too fast.  Try to ease it back a bit. Think it was about here that I start tracking a couple. Around the 8 mile mark start talking to them, there from Denver and shooting for a 3:18 time and we're on pace. Ok, I probably won't be able to hang with them, but I'm talking in complete sentences and feeling ok mostly.  I'm beginning to feel my feet now. Also, trying to take in the views of the LA basin(?) - it really is a nice view. The couple steps up the pace a bit, or so it seems to me.  From mile 10-13 my average pace is about 7:25 and they're is still around 7:20.  Hit the 1/2 marathon mark and I know my time is close to 1:35, which is actually a new PR by 2 1/2 minutes! Mile 14 is first significant uphill.  My toes and feet are thankful! Mile 14,15,16 are between 8:10 and 8:30 pace. And then mile 17, this is biggest hill on course and time goes to 9:18 - which is disappointing, because pace band calls for 8:28.  Somewhere in mile 18 I realize I might need to do a bathroom break - really?! I'm just about to skip it and then port-a-potty is there and I stop. I had been at about an 8mpm pace and it takes me almost 3 minutes. I'm calculating where I'm at what I need to average to stay around 3:25. Finally get going again and am thinking 3:25 group is still behind me. Mile 19 is last mile under 8 at 7:53. Mile 20 is another big uphill and I'm telling myself the last uphill, so I just say get up this hill, pace doesn't matter.  I'm realizing at this point I'm probably north of 3:30 pace now and that 3:25 pace group must have passed me while I used the faciliities. Mile 21 has a bit of downhill and I get to 8:54 pace. Mile 22 feels downhill and I'm really happy with the 8:05.  Mile 23 is just a slog, but 8:34 doesn't seem bad at this point. I catch up to a young woman - she's moving at about the same pace. This is her first marathon and she's hoping to BQ.  I tell here she should be good as we're close to a 3:30 pace (tho, I'm starting to realize I'm not quite there). Finish mile 24 at 9:05. She can't quite keep up and so I'm by myself again. I'm trying to speed up just a bit and somehow get mile 25 under 9. Mile 26 has an uphill! It isn't bad, but it is when your legs are shot...I'm looking at my watch and can see I'm sitting at 9:15 pace - try to step it up just a bit and can feel my calves starting to cramp. Slow down, try to speed up again, "oouch!!" - next 1/2 miles is like this. There are 2 turns at the end I see the 1st of the 2 turns and the 26mile marker and start to speed up by lifting my knees more. That's good no problem with the calves. I can hear breathing behind me, so pick it up some more. Around the 1st turn. Breathing is still pretty close, up the speed a bit more - calves are still good. The breathing is holding steady, there's 2nd turn - turn it up a notch. Breathing behind me is fading a bit, crank it up another notch - calves are still good.  I can hear people cheering and my name, but I'm in serious finish mode now and am able to take it up another notch sprinting as well as I can.  I hear my name over the PA and clock says 3:32.  Someone hands me an ice cold water and another person gives me a ice cold towel.  Wow! That towel and water felt sooo good!

I wander over to get my drop bag, the whole while looking for DS1.  Get my bag, pull out my shoes and start to switch them. Feet have taken a beating - both little toes are bleeding and right big toe nail is going to be a goner. Look around a bit more and think, maybe DS1 went to car.  Get to the car, pull out phone and try looking for DS1's finish time.  Doesn't seem to be working.  Start heading back to finish area.  Hmmm, I'm there with a finish time of 3:31:47. I'm totally confused, DS1 was ahead of me -- oh, wait, maybe I passed him w/o seeing him. I do a quick check on DW, wait - she's done?!  a 3:59!  Check DS1 status again, there's his mile 23.1 time, he's not done?!  Start looking for DW - there she is! She's ecstatic, not only did she BQ, she broke 4hours! She says she passed both DS1 and GF on course.  And there's DS1!  And wait, there's GF!  We're all done, but GF is not in good shape. DS1 stopped at first port-a-potty at 3.5 miles and I must have missed him. DW goes and retrieves their drop bags.  It is now 11:30 and we need to check out by 12:30. DS1 says this was the hardest marathon he's ever done. DW is opposite and sky high.  GF, well it's her first, so both.  I go grab the car and we load up and head back to the hotel...

Here are some Statistics:

Course

Time

Distance Time pace

Interval

Distance

Time Pace

Chip Time Place

Overall

Start 7:00:40AM 0.0 00:00.00         200 10 M55-59
        Half Way 8:36:22AM 13.1 1:35:41.82 7:18 13.1 1:35:41.82 7:18 224 10 M55-59
        5K To go 10:04:35AM 23.1 3:03:55.09 7:57 10.0 1:28:13.26 8:49 213 8 M55-59
        Finish 10:32:27AM 26.2 3:31:47.23 8:05 3.1 27:52.13 8:59 213 10 M55-59

Note: 2 racers weren't picked up at mile 23.1 - so, actual was 10th M55-59 at 23.1. Last .1 - .2 miles was at a 6:50mpm pace!

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/8... off

Monday, 11/9... 6 mile railtrail run, pace was high 8:00's, low 9:00's.    Wore 6 oz. Altra running shoes for the first time in a year and a half and felt pretty good.    I'm back to running every other day, easy stuff most of the time with probably one quicker paced run each week.

Art... how did your grandson's football game go?     Local HS team is undefeated this year and in the second round of play-offs this weekend.

Sluggo... good to see you posting again.    Sub 30 is an indication of decent fitness, you're doing just fine...

Dan... waiting on a race report...

az... I think the guy who beat me out of a pie lied about his age, it's the only explanation I can come up with that makes sense to me and my ego...    Homemade apple pies were what was given away and I'm still sulking.     Between your running and social life, you keep a busy schedule, Az.

Ray... anyone who's run a marathon can relate to what you were experiencing during your race.    So much energy and trying to dial it back early, to struggling to hold pace and cramping muscles late.    That potty break messed with your time a little, but you ran great race!     And congrats to DW, BQ's don't come easy!     And you're right about the 5K, it's better than I expected...

Ray:  AMAZING RACE & awesome finish time, WOW!!    And <<<high five>>> to DW as well, sub-4 is incredible finish time!!  I'm so elated about the finish results for each of you!!  You guys rocked the race!!  YAY!!  How is DS1 and GF?  They did well too!  You had an excellent strategy and I can relate to wanting to run faster because you feel good but those darn cramps!! Somehow it works out.  Great RR!!

NH:  I'm sulking too, LOL!! Must have been one darn tasty pie!! You are doing great with time splits. I'm gonna try on some Altra when I'm back in AZ.  Still searching for some good road shoes.

We've had such beautiful SUNNY days, slight breeze with temps in the 50s!!

Monday:  drove to state park and ran combination of paved and dirt/grassy trail.  Finished 18.2 miles.

Tuesday (today):  ran around the fairgrounds nearby.  Didn't dare run the lake road due to trigger happy hunters, yikes!  Finished 10.1 miles.

Art in AZ

Quick hi and update before I start a project for the next week. Not sure how much running I'll get in.

Sunday - 8 miles

Monday - 3 miles

Today - 6 miles

Ray - Great job to you and wife for the race times. I understand that running and pacing thing.  Sounds real familiar.

AZ - Nice running for you the past couple of days. Training for next race when and where?

Rich - Don't new shoes feel good. Are there any turkey trots around you for Thanksgiving? Are you entering if there are? Grandson's team won and are going to Orlando, FL around first week of Dec.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

sluggo

John

Hello all,

I have Veteran's Day off and I managed 3 mi in the rain this AM. Felt good. Stupid cat has been outside in the rain for 5 hrs and doesn't have the sense to come in from the woods. We should have named him Wingnut.

I can only go back one day on this thread. I don't know how you all can keep such close tabs.

NH R: nice to run on a railroad trail. I have one near my house and it is a nice run.

ArtAZ: 17 mi in 3 days seems like a lot. What is your project? Something at work?

Ray: Something named the Canyon City Marathon sounds fascinating. To me, finishing in 3:30 sounds blazing fast. Top 10 proves it. Congrats.

All: Thanks for the notes of encouragement.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/11... took yesterday off, 6 mile railtrail run in a light rain today.    I love the sound of rain when I'm trying to sleep, but not when I'm running...   Today's pace was high 8:00' low 9:00's

az... I wore a fluorescent lime green pullover during today's run to discourage deer hunters from mistaking me for a deer...lol     My neighbor actually got shot a few years ago, he was blowing on a deer call and a kid shot him because he "wasn't wearing any orange".     My neighbor survived, but it was an eye opener for sure.    I used to hunt deer, but haven't in a while.    You're running like a champ lately, really nice mileage!

Art... good luck working in a few runs next week.     Even if you miss a few days, your fitness level won't suffer, your running's been really solid lately.     There's a local Thanksgiving day 5K that I'm thinking about running.    I've been sidelined with injuries the last couple of years, but used to run it every year.     The first mile's tough with a long climb a 1/4 mile into the race, but after that it's either level or downhill the rest of the way.    Congrats to your grandson!

Sluggo... we're lucky to have a railtrail close by, they're a nice break from the pavement.     Mine's in the woods, so makes a nice place to run when the wind's blowing or the heat and humidity are up.    Good luck with the cat, they can be independent little beasts, can't they?

rmcj001

Art - Yes, the downhill felt relatively easy (well, except for my feet), just couldn't gauge how tired the legs were. Some good runs for you! Keep it going.

Sluggo - Sometimes you gotta let the animals do what they want to do, makes no sense - just accept it. Consistency is the name of the game.  I think it is better to do daily runs, no matter the mileage. Don't stop.

Az - Gotta take advantage of the weather! Nice runs and thanks, DS1 is mostly recovered, his knee was acting up during the race. GF, well her feet should be healing, but she's been running with a bad knee for awhile now. Haven't seen here since Sunday, so hopefully she's almost healed.

Rich - Looks like your workouts are progressing.  Don't get too rambunctious, improvement is a journey - not the destination (ok, well mostly...).

Monday, walked 5 miles at work and then another 3 miles to go to dinner.

Tuesday, almost took day off, but at just after 11pm decided needed to get some steps in, so 3.3 miles on TM in 54 minutes.

Wednesday, after 3 days of non-running figured better get my a*s in gear, 7.2 recover miles.

Thursday, 8.3 miles in about 75 minutes. Had to estimate, watch ran out of battery about 30 minutes into the run. The 8.3 is accurate tho, the time is only approximate.

Got this in the mail.

Boston Acceptance

Ray

NH Runner

Friday, 11/13... took yesterday off, ran another 6 on the railtrail today.     Wanted to get out on the road and step on it a little, but the wind was gusting, so I opted for the trail instead.    Splits were 10:07, 9:07, 8:47, 8:58, 8:44 and 8:34.    Fitness gain is slow, but steady.

Ray... 3 days without a run?   You're slacking!     My running's been pretty laid back lately, but I'm slowly getting back up to speed again.   I'd love to run another marathon but absolutely hate getting injured, so we'll see...

Chantilly... wondering how you're doing.

rmcj001

Friday the 13th, 9.4 miles in an hour and a half or so. Mornings are finally crisp here, but high today is supposed to be near 70F. Left foot is still a bit sore from marathon, but not too bad. Family run tomorrow in Sacramento, it's a "Run with the Blerch" event. Should be more of a training run then a race...

Rich - It takes awhile to really prepare for the longer distances.  I think as we age we need to give the body more time to adjust. You're doing great! You'll get there, it just takes time.

Ray

justrundan

Dang!  Long race report, then it's lost.

I'll try again soon.

Ray- loved your report and your race!!!  and DW BQed on her first marathon.  Wow.   Enjoy the glow!

AZ- it's getting cold here, so I know you all are cold up there!

Rich- I will get the race report up here!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Dan

rmcj001

Saturday, Beat the Blerch Race Report.

Apparently the alarm went off at 5:25AM and I turned it off - I have no memory of this, but DW says I did so it must be true. At 5:55AM (probably a bit before) she says "oh, my god, it's 5:55 we need to get going!"  We're out of the house in about 20 minutes for an almost 2 hour drive to Sacramento. We arrive at 8:10AM get our packets and head back to the car. Originally I was going to check a bag, but it turns out car is closer to start then the check bag station. It's now 8:45AM and we do the obligatory portapotty run and join the rest of the half marathoners. We're about a third of the way back and there are lots of people. Around 9AM the horn goes off and we walk forward. DS1 and I are together as we cross the start line and we are quickly picking our way through the crowd. DS1 asks what target is and I say anything less then 1:45, just not sure how body is going to react after last weeks marathon. About 3/4 of mile in we see a guy in a green blerch outfit, we don't realize it, but that is blerch man himself, Mathew Inman. We hit mile 1 at 7:59+ and I tell DS1, we can pick up the pace a bit. Somewhere in here, we've picked up a person. He's doing his first 1/2 and thinks we know what we're doing. Sooner then expected we hit the mile 2 marker and watch says something less then a mile, with a time of 7:10. DS1 asks how's our time, I say we're a bit fast. He says "Should we slow down?" I answer we're good for now. So, we continue on. We slowly moving up now picking off runners. Somewhere between mile 4 & 5 I lose track of what mile we're on and think we're working on 6. I ask a runner if we're working on mile 6 and he says he can't remember either. Finally we see a mile marker and its 5. 6 & 7 show up and watch has got most mile laps in the 7:30 range and the mile markers are a bit before the lap times. We slowly catching runners, but they're fewer and there's more distance between them. Mile 8 come right at the hour mark on my watch and DS1 is going faster. I watch him go, feel I kept him from going too fast at the start and I'm way ahead of where I'm supposed to be for this race. I'm also thinking 4.1 miles in 40 minutes and I'll be right at 1:40 - at 7:45 a mile that would be 1 minute under and a 1:39. I'm not running any harder, but I'm not slowing down either. Ahead is a younger asian man and I seem to be gaining ever so slightly. I'm right on his tail about 1/2 mile later as we pass an older runner who looks like he is dying after going out too fast. At mile 9 he passes a different runner and I catch him and go by. Around mile 10 I'm thinking just a 5K to go and just under 25 minutes to get there. We hit a little up slope and the asian guy goes by me. I'm ok with it, but I stick to him as best I can. It is a see-saw type action now, every time I get close he pulls away a bit. Around mile 11 we pass up a younger man and the 1/2 mile later a young woman. They look a little gassed and I suspect they've pushed themselves a little too hard too early. Just pass mile 12 I can see DS1 ahead and we're gaining. About 1/2 mile out I think I'm going to catch DS1 when we hit the boardwalk. The wood is very rough and the edges are really worn down. I absolutely can't run fast on this stuff, it's literally killing my feet. So, I have to slow down a bit and I can see that the Asian man has almost reached DS1 and they're both speeding up. I just have to wait 'til I'm done with the board walk. Finally, I get to the end, but now I've lost site of both DS1 and the other guy. I'm speeding up and then who should appear, but 1st time half marathoner.  He looks really fresh and just goes by saying "looking good" and "good luck!" I'm moving at a good clip now as we enter the stadium and I don't think I can catch anybody, but especially don't want anyone to catch me. I hear my name over the PA and then I'm across the finish line. Time on the clock is 1:39 and change, but watch has 1:38:38!  Get my finisher medal and some water and then start asking if there is any gatorade. Just water here, but might be some towards the end. Ok, grab a banana, some chips, some cake. Looks like there's powerade, but no cups. Back to the water to grab another cup and back to the powerade - oops, it is water too.  Might be some at top of the stadium. Ok, head to the top, nope just water. Oh,well - there are laptops with results so check it. I'm listed as 1st in age group, but 1st woman in age group's name is "Daniel" and their time is 1:25Tight lippedx - so, most likely 2nd, with a time of 1:38:37. I head back down to the field to find DS1 and get more food and water. We wait on the field for GF and DW. We head back to car, change and then I want to find out about awards and we head back in. I get conflicting stories about awards, but bottom line is they won't be presented for awhile. We find out the Mathew will be signing things and GF and I stand in line to wait. He shows up and DS1 and DW join us. We get our bib and medals signed. As we're looking around, a local runner that I know who was 1st overall in the 10K says that they're going to mail all the awards and that he's going to head back to the bay area.  I thank him for the info and we also head out making our way to Davis for lunch...

P.S. Mathew Inman writes "Oatmeal" a web comic as well as a few graphic novels, including "The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances"

Ray

justrundan

Madison HM RR, #2

DW & I leave 0530 for Madison and watch a beautiful sunrise.  We are able to park a few blocks from the Capital square where the start and finish are and head there.  Except DW forgot phone/camera, and 'has to get a picture', so she heads back, I go to look for degregorius from another forum on RunningAHEAD.  Don't find him, but locate DW  and we head for the back of the pack to locate 2:30 pacers.  The FM race starts at 0700 sharp and we are still looking, never find them before race starts.  DW snaps a few pics and then W 0710 HM starts, I pass the start mat 3 minutes later.

Mostly flat the first few miles, running easy doing my 4/1 run/walk ratio I had decided on.  with my low mileage I know I cannot do it without that.

About mile 3-4 I think I see degregorius ahead, and when I catch him we run together, more or less, the next few miles.  We soon catch up with the 2:30 pacers, they started at the front?  Odd.   Fun to chat as we run/gasp out words!  He is on a different walk/run ratio, so we tend to pass each other back and forth for a while.  We run near Lake Mendota at several spots, beautiful views.  At about halfway go through Warner Park, where the Madison Mallards baseball team plays each summer.  They call the stadium "The Duck Pond".

Heading back to the Capital now through neighborhoods and soon come to Maple Bluff and Maple Bluff County Club; it's the ritziest area of Madison.  Run past the governor's mansion on that road.  We won't discuss that problem!    This part has the largest hill on the course, but not too bad.  Just before we leave Maple Bluff come to a view at top of hill and can see the Capital building over the water, stop for a quick pic.

Starting to labor more with 5K to do, but am on course to beat 2:30.  I've been going back and forth ahead/behind the 2:30 pacers, finally with about a mile to go pass them one last time.

Last 1/2 mile is mostly uphill getting back to the square.  Ugh!  Less than a quarter mile to go a police motorcycle passes me with horns, I don't realize he's leading the FM leader to the finish until I miss seeing him pass.  Must have been flying.  I had hoped to avoid that!     Of course, he DID leave 10' before me, so he wasn't QUITE twice as fast as me.    Make the final turn onto the square and up the final grade to finish, able to push the pace a little.  HM time clock says 2:30Tight lippedx so I know I beat my goal.  After I start walking I think I may lose the last GU I had, but manage to keep from doing that!  Finish in 2:26:52, 12/17 for age group.  degregrorius is 13/17, a short ways behind me.

Find DW and get another pic, then get my chocolate mild and a lunch bag from Panera, then we head out for breakfast.  Good times had by all!

Dan

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/15... took yesterday off, ran 6 miles on the roads today.     Course included the local covered bridge and a tough hill in the 3rd mile that makes anything under 9:00 a good time for me.     Today's splits looked like this, pushed the pace in mile 3 with the hill, kept the effort going for mile 4, eased up a bit in mile 5 and caught my breath in mile 6...  8:52, 8:24, 8:51, 8:02, 8:16 and 9:32.

Ray... awesome run one week after a marathon!    Enjoyed the race report, congrats!

Dan... that's a great time with such limited training leading up to your race, good for you!     And you kept your Gu down, been there and done that...