50 and over 5k and beyond

November 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 10 times)

Great RR, Ray!!  Amazing bounce back and finish time after the incredible marathon a week ago, wow!!  GREAT JOB to you and each of your family who ran it.  DS1 is getting some serious competition from you.  I'm not that pace-aware during my races or even training runs as I am about how well I'm doing at a certain mile marker.  I do look at my garmin during walk-breaks to see if I have reached the half-way point   so I can pat myself on the back or do a Rocky dance, or when I take photos/video.  Your training gets you into higher gear when you need it, another fantastic run!!

Dan:  CONGRATS!!  Great finish time for you despite your busy work schedule to balance between your training runs!  YAY!!   Thanks for the RR and the great photo of you and Degregorius.  Glad the weather cooperated.  Since July, I'm finding that gels aren't working for me much, makes me want to puke during & post-run.  And, I only take 1/2 of it around 10-13 miles!  Maybe finish the rest around 18-20.  Same thing has happened to my running buddy.  We limit processed sugar in our diet so I'm thinking that my body is telling me "Too much sugar."  But I'm going back to sport beans which dissolves slowly during a race.  I know some runners don't like having something in their mouth while running but it works for me.  And been experimenting more with just hydration drinks.  If aid stations have bananas, I'm elated!  Glad you didn't get too sick.  Watching the sun rise makes those trips more memorable for races.

NH: still running strong!!  Can't remember if you run indoors during winter months?

Art:  winter temps in the valley is going to feel awesome on my trip back to AZ but northern AZ is getting hammered as I write this.  It's a blizzard there and colder there than northern MN. This morning it was about 30 degrees, 25 mph wind, feels like 13 in northern AZ!!  Like I always say, "it could be worse." So why am I whining about the weather conditions in northern MN today, LOL!!    You asked what I'm training for.  I'm driving back to AZ after Thanksgiving for about a month.  DH will be flying in and staying a couple of weeks, then flying back.  So I registered for the upcoming 25K trail race near Fountain Hills on Dec 5 and also, thinking of finishing out the year with another trail race in Monument Valley Dec 12. The map for the Monument Valley event is not correct when you click on the website.  There is a hot air balloon event the same weekend so I'm in for a treat of phenomenal views against the backdrop of Monument Valley!!

http://www.aravaiparunning.com/mcdowell-mountain-frenzy/

http://www.active.com/monument-valley-tribal-park-ut/running/distance-running-races/monument-valley-marathon-and-half-2015

I was determined to get in at least 30 miles for the week but Friday was a busy day with conference calls ALL DAY!!  Sun sets quickly by 4:30 pm so didn't get a run in on Friday.  DH planned a weekend of ballroom dance sessions.  We really NEED to practice.  Predicted weather calls for cool but SUNNY days!!  yippee!!  Really hoping to get in a run on Sat and Sun between sessions!!

Saturday session begins at 10 am.  Lunch at the local coffee place with live band where we practice some learned lessons, it was fun!  Afternoon session ends at 3 pm.  Drove home, DH takes a nap while I get in a 4.1 miles nearby on the fairgrounds dirt road.  Glad I took my headlamp, got dark quickly (crescent moon phase) so needed it the last 1/2 mile!  Then got ready for the evening's ballroom "Red Theme" dance party from 6 pm.  WE didn't get home till 11:30 pm.  But I finished the week with 35.5 miles, YAY!!

Sunday, another gorgeous sunny but breezy day.  Morning dance session begins at 10:30 till 3 pm.  Break was spent at the studio with some pancakes while getting some dance history.  After getting home, dilemma:  run as long as possible or just rest for tomorrow's (Mon) planned 'long run.'  Crappy weather predicted for rest of week.

Monday (today):  should have run yesterday, ugh!!  Miserable rain, about 45 degrees, 25 mph wind gusts, feels like 40. It feels much colder than that.  It's the darn 'wet cold' type which just goes right through your bones!! Brrrrr!!  But I'm dressed to run as the cold front and rain is suppose to move out from this area after 1 pm. So far, not happening ....... So gotta drive to the gym and get in a zombie run on the TM.

Anyone have any more NOV races?  Turkey Trots?  Where are you spending your holidays?

rmcj001

JustRunDan - Cool! Liked the race report and so awesome that you met up with degregorius!  You did great!

NHRich - Nice run.  Yes, the race went much better then I expected and I think I worked the recovery week runs about as well as I possibly could. It's starting to get cooler here - lows in the mid to high 30's with highs in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Although, were supposed to warm up towards the end of the week to highs around 70 - a bit above average...

Az - Sounds like you had a good week and dancing too!  Gotta love the cross training!

Sunday, did a TM recovery run, but since it was on the TM it was a bit of a progression run - 5.4 miles.

Monday, 9.3 miles around work - took a little while to get warmed up.

DS1 and I should be doing a 5K this Saturday, then Turkey Trot for Thanksgiving and CIM with DW.  Final race of the year should be Dec 20th - either a 5K or a 10K. Should be fun.

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 11/17... took yesterday off, ran 8 on the railtrail today.    32 degrees when I left the house this morning, Brrrrr! lol     Effort was steady, but I didn't get carried away, splits were low to mid 9:00's.

az... congrats on getting your weekly mileage in, the weather can make it tough sometimes, can't it?     I plan on running a 5K Thanksgiving morning if the weather isn't too testy.     We'll see... 

ray... your temps are improving, eh?   50's and 60's are perfect.     Good luck with this weekend's 5K...

Art in AZ

Back from my project. Actually a vacation in Providenciales Turks and Caicos Islands. Had a good time with some of the family. Managed to get three days of running in. Arrived Wednesday afternoon so after checking in we grabbed something for a late lunch and then walked around some checking out the resort.

Thursday morning got in an estimated 6 miles running along the beach. I truly forgot how hard it is to run along the beach. Soft sand where your feet sink into, running on a slight incline and trying to dodge the waves. Shoes felt like they weighed twice as much with them getting wet and all the sand sticking. Then spent the rest of the day at the beach with the grandkids snorkeling, in one of the pools swimming or at the water slides. They would get bored at one location and want to go to another. This was repeated throughout our stay. With the snorkeling and swimming my upper body and arms were getting a good workout.

Friday morning got 3 miles in. For some reason I felt a little tired. Repeated the days events between the beach, pool and slides.

Saturday morning got in 4 miles. Now before I left I checked to see if there were any running events and I didn't find any. So I was surprised when I came across what looked like a tri event. Turned out to be a tri sprint event. So I stopped and watched for a while as they came from the swim portion and got on their bikes.

Ray - Another great race for you and family.

Dan - I agree with the others that your time was good considering how much work kept you from getting in the miles training you wanted.

Rich -  Your plan of running every other day seems to be working for you. Are you doing the Thanksgiving race? After all, it is only a 5K.

AZ - Good that you were able to hit your weekly goal. Yea, the weather down here is on the cool side. Highs in the lower 60s. Much different from the mid 80s and humidity on the island. I was looking at doing that trail race on Saturday or the Chocolate run 15K on Sunday, Dec. 6. I'm unsure because I am getting a colonoscopy done on Friday morning and don't know if that would cause any issues. Last one was 10 years ago. Though I don't remember if it affected me much afterwards.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

I was able to copy/paste the picture that degregorius posted on the other forum, in case you did not see it there.  We were in a walk mode at this time.

The race had pictures you could use/print without payment, which was nice.

Madison Marathon 11/10/2013    5:05:50

Dan

Fletch

Greetings - my apologies for taking so long to check in. I'll get to the OBX Marathon RR shortly, but wanted to catch up first...

Art - sounds like a fun vacation with the grandkids. And a bonus is that you got some beach running, too!

NH Rich - steady, consistent running. Gotta love that. I see it's getting cold for you up there. Good luck, if you decide to run the Thanksgiving 5k.

Ray - enjoyed your race reports. Awesome runs - in both races! I can't fathom running a HM one week after a Full. You are really running strong. Congrats on Boston!

Az - 35.5 miles for the week - nice! And dancing to boot!

Dan - Nice race in Madison. Sounds like a beautiful run. Good finish, especially given your busy schedule.

Sluggo - keep at it. Love the rain runs!

OBX Marathon race report - Outer Banks, NC  (November 8th)

DW and I drove to Nags Head, NC on Friday, along with DW's brother and his wife. The four of us stayed with friends who live in Nags Head, and volunteer for the marathon every year. DD2, SIL and the grandkids also came to cheer me on. Picked up packet on Saturday and browsed around at the expo. Then back to the friends house for pasta dinner.

DW drove me to the start area Sunday morning for a scheduled 7:20 start. OBX Marathon is a point-to-point race, starting in Kitty Hawk, NC, and ending in Manteo. Got to the start area around 6:45. Temperature was in the low 50's, but with 20mph winds. Kept my warm up clothes on until about 7:10, then stuffed them in my bag and checked it for transport to the finish. DW had already left to meet the rest of the family and find a spot to see me. Made my way to the start. They had me in the first corral, for some reason. My plan was to start with the 4:30 pacer for the first few miles, then try to reel in the 4:15 pacer by the end of the race. I don't use a watch, but I did take along my phone, as I do on most training runs, with the Runkeeper app going. I turned off all cues, and just let it run in the background. Anyway, I took a spot toward the back of the first corral, then saw the 4:30, 4:15, and even the 4:00 pacer walk by and line up in the second corral. I didn't really want to go back to start with them, so I figured I would just take it a little slow and they would catch me. About 5 minutes before the start, a man from Chicago struck up a conversation about the nickname on my bib, "Pa Scott." I explained it was what my grandkids call me. We started talking about running and racing. I told him it was my first marathon. Big mistake. He immediately started giving advice. Not just about running a marathon, but running in general. I wanted to tell him this was my first marathon, but that didn't mean I just rolled off the couch that morning and decided to go for my first run.

National Anthem, then the gun. Really got chills when I passed through the start chute. It hit me that I really was going to run a marathon. Some of you on this forum will probably remember my first post from a little over 2 years ago when I said I couldn't imagine ever running a marathon. So my annoying new friend and I set out together. After 1 mile, he glanced at his watch and said we were a little under 9 minutes. He had said that he expected to be somewhere between 3:45 and 4:15 for the finish. So I figured he would pull out in front of me pretty soon. We were still together at mile 3, when I saw DW, BIL and SIL standing beside the road cheering. I told Chicago not to give me pace or time updates. I just wanted to run by feel, and I was feeling pretty good. I knew we had started in front of the 4:00 pacer, and I kept looking over my shoulder, but didn't see him. Got a little worried about starting too fast, but felt really good, so I decided to just keep plugging along. They had aid stations set up every 2 miles, starting at mile 3. I was running with a water bottle containing a hydration drink (Tailwind). At each aid station, I would take a swig of the Tailwind, grab a cup of water, and walk for about 20 seconds to drink it. Also downed a gel every 5 miles. Then I would start running again. I had done the same thing on my long training runs (20, 21, and 22 miles) and it had worked well. When I walked and drank at mile 5, Chicago pulled out in front of me, and I lost sight of him. At mile 8, we circled the Wright Brothers National Memorial, with the 20 MPH wind in our faces. I didn't care, because lined up among all the spectators was my family, including my 4 and 2 year old grandkids, screaming "GO PA" at the top of their lungs. I couldn't pass that up...ran over to the side, got a big hug from both of them, then took off running again, smiling ear to ear.

Kept cruising along, chatting sometime with other runners, enjoying the beautiful scenery. Miles 10-13 ran through a nature preserve. This was the only hilly part of the course (except the bridge, coming up later). Came out of the woods into the neighborhoods of Nags Head, past Jockey's Ridge and out onto Highway 12. When we reached Mile 17 aid station, as I'm walking along finishing the water, the 4:00 pacer passes me. I finish the water, throw away the cup, and proceed to go right back by him. Put him about 50 yards behind me, and keep him there until about mile 21, when he passes again. I fall in behind him and keep pace, about 50 feet behind. Up ahead, I see Chicago, walking now. I say hi as I pass. When he sees me, he tries to start running again, but can't keep up. Now we leave the island, out onto the long bridge over the inlet, to Roanoke Island. In the middle of this bridge is a big hill to allow boats to pass under. I pass the 4:00 pacer going up the bridge, then pull away a little coming down the other side. Long flat stretch to the turn at mile 25, going into Manteo. I had run out of Tailwind at mile 17, took my last gel at mile 21. I was starting to run out of gas. 4:00 pacer comes back by. I fall in again about 50 feet behind. With about a half mile to go, I try to give it one last push to go by him. As I speed up, I thought I saw someone passing, out of the corners of both eyes. Not someone passing, but the blackness starting to close in. I thought, "oh, hell no. I'm not going to fall out within a half mile of the finish!" I back off, walk about 20 seconds until my head clears, then start running again, but at a slower pace. I know now that I am not going to be able to catch him, but I'm ok with that. I know I won't be far behind, which is still better than I expected. Everyone talks about the great feeling coming down the chute to finish a marathon, with the names being announced, the crowd yelling, etc. I missed out on that. All I was thinking was...please God, let me put one foot in front of the other, and make it across that line without falling flat on my face. And I did. My friends were volunteering at the finish line and placed the medal around my neck. I got a hug from DW and the rest of the family, then checked my official time...4:01:09. 18/55 in age group, 235 overall.  I'm pleased with that time. And it was really special to have family there to cheer me on. And it felt good to finish 10 minutes ahead of Chicago.

Took the week off following the marathon. Ran 5 miles this past Sunday, and 3 this morning. Planning to meet the gang tomorrow morning for the speed workout. If I can rearrange my work schedule, I'm planning to run the Reindeer Fun Run on December 5th. Can't miss that one. That's the race that started me on this journey two years ago.

Sorry for the long post.  Safe running.

Fletch

rmcj001

Fletch - You are a marathoner! CONGRATS! Great race report!  DS1 has mentioned getting tunnel vision at the end of a marathon, I guess it is one way to tell you've pushed it to the limit. Yes, definitely on the 5K - you have to!

NHRich - In the wind and cold, any run is a good run - what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger  - or, stupid...

Dan - Love the picture! Priceless!

Art - Sounds like a great vacation. Gotta say tho, on the beach you gotta take the shoes off!  There's nothing quite like running on the wet sand by the water.

Tuesday, 9.5 easy miles followed by 1.5 miles of walking. This is last high mileage week before next marathon, so hopefully no slacking off.

Ray

justrundan

Fletch- that is Fantastic!  And to beat your, er, 'mentor' from Chicago is even better!!

Dan

sluggo

John

Hello all,

This is my once in a while check in.

It's cool to see you all getting your mileage up and attacking marathons. They are a challenge and my one was fun. (My wife has banned me from another marathon, which is fine. I can do any other running activity I want.)

NH-Rich: I ran last night down here in Salem, MA. It was warm around noon yesterday, no jacket weather. Then I was chilled in my little 3 miler. My hands never really warmed up. That was a surprise.

I perform in a little piano recital on Sat. Don't be impressed, I am at a very beginner level. It is fun to show myself and friends what I can do. My piece is Come Saturday Morning by Dory Previn. I really liked her music from a really long time ago. Plus, this tune was the theme song from the movie, The Sterile Cuckoo, with Liza Minnelli, a movie I liked from long, long ago.

Later all. Enjoy your runs

John
                      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

rmcj001

Sluggo - 3 miles is a good run. My hands are almost always cold, I've learned that if I want them to stay warm I kind of have to make a fist and squeeze them to make sure the blood is flowing through them. Otherwise, they're ice cold. Funny, but if you did a marathon, you are a marathon runner - even if you don't do them anymore!  Too late, you can't take it back! 

Wed, 10.6 miles that started out as an easy run and more or less turned into a tempo run.  First 6 miles at 9mpm pace followed by 4.6 at sub 8mpm pace. Temps were a cool 65F and the sun is low enough that it doesn't feel that much different from the shade.

Ray

Fletch:  WAY TO FINISH, MARATHONER!!  <<<high five>>> Congrats!! Your training rewarded you with an awesome run albeit the 'tunnel vision' towards the end, but you were smart to make adjustments and maintain focus.  Glad you recognized it and made it to the finish.  I love high-fiving kids along the course, I always feel that I may have touch a future running star!! Seeing the faces of and hearing the cheers from your adorable grandkids is priceless.  Finishing before an 'experienced' marathoner is icing on the cake!!

Sluggo:  having another 'talent' is impressive!! My hands are always cold too. But the wind is what really causes dryness so I tend to wear gloves as much as I can. But maybe a habit from riding my harley?  Great 3 mile run, every mile counts!  Glad you checked in, we miss you!

Dan:  any upcoming races?

Ray:  tough to maintain an 'easy' run sometimes.  take care and good luck on your upcoming races!  Can''t wait for the CIM RR!

Monday:  was all dressed to run outside.  It was raining and waiting for the weather to get better is a great excuse to NOT run at all. 

Tuesday:  still raining!! Got my butt to the gym. After warm up, ran 6 miles on indoor track, 7.1 miles with intervals on TM, ugh, this is soooo boring!!  Finished with 5 miles on track = 18.1 miles.  YIPPEE!!  Have to break up miles when I run indoors just to make it. Mental toughness.

Wed:  pouring rain and windy!!  Another trip to gym.  2 miles on track, 3.2 miles on TM (hills/intervals), finished with 1 mile cool-down on track = 6.2 miles. YAY!

Thurs (today):  as predicted, woke up to blowing SNOW.  About 20 degrees, 30 mph windgusts, feels like 7 degrees, Holy-Moly!!  Glad I don't have to drive in this.

NH Runner

Thursday, 11/19... took yesterday off, ran 5 miles on the railtrail today.   Rain's forecast for this afternoon, so I ran early to get out ahead of it.     Slight mist while I ran, must be the conditions men who walk the trail look for, as I encountered 3 different individuals during today's run.

Art... yes, the every other day routine seems to be working.    In looking at the extended weather forecast this morning, the overnight lows for  next week are in the teens and twenties.    If that's what's going on Thanksgiving morning, I may have to pass on the 5K, I don't run well with my knees knocking...lol    Sounds like a nice break with family last week, good for you...

Dan... that's a good picture, you two look pretty fit to me...

Fletch... what a first marathon!!   You did really well getting through all but the last mile with no issues and your time was excellent!     Congratulations, that's one race you'll never forget, really well done!

Ray... not so sure I agree with "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger".     If that were the case, with the injuries I've been dealing with lately, I should look like the Incredible Hulk...lol   Running like the wind as usual, good for you!

Sluggo... good to get that 3 miler in!    Anything below 50 degrees and I'm searching for a pair of gloves to wear, my hands get cold way too easy.    I'm always amazed at young people out running in shorts and a T while I'm bundled up against the cold, life is so unfair sometimes...lol   "Music soothes the savage beast" and works pretty well on the rest of us as well, good for you to take up the piano...

az... never a dull moment, eh?  18 miles in the gym?    And snow already!    Yikes!

justrundan

Winter weathers here, at least for the weekend. Snow starting in a few hours. Went outside for quick 3.5 this afternoon, it will be mostly TM for a while now.

No upcoming races at this time, unless I do the local turkey trot next Thursday.

Everyone have great Thanksgiving!

Dan

Thurs:  rest day.  Snowed again and windy.

Fri:  SUNNY!!  About 25 degrees, 11 mph wind, feels 14.  Drove to paved state trail with trees as windbreakers.  Finished 10.1 glorious miles, YAY!!  Just me, myself and I on the trail, love it!!

Saturday (today):  Party sunny day but COLD, around 19 degrees, Brrrrr!!  DH and I attended a retirement event for a Rear Admiral in the morning.  Then drove to gym in separate vehicles.  DH swam.  I started with 15 mins on elliptical.  1 mile on track, 4.1 miles on TM on cross-country program, then 2.1 miles on track = finished 7.2 miles!! Yippee!  41.6 miles for the week! yay!!

Hope everyone is having a super duper weekend!!