50 and over 5k and beyond

December 2016 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

Chantilly75

NH Runner snow, thaw, rain, freeze=bad running/walking conditions for sure. Must be potholes on that rail trail. Don't want to hurt your leg again. Did you find out if the dog team is going to Alaska?

az2mntrail  I hope the PT is helping you out with the treatments. Sounds painful.  Hope your husband is ok and didn't catch the flu. It will be nice to hike with your friend.  I didn't tell anyone about the race yet, so I don't know if anyone else would go.

I have seen the same people at the track every winter for the past 15 years. Some of them I speak to, others; we nod or say hello, and then there are the ones like Joe cool who never acknowledge anyone who is not in their circle of friends.

Art in AZ  Now that you have the sewing room done, is it time to work on your garden again? I'm kind of a minimalist myself, more so after seeing how much work it is to clean out some senior's house and no one wants their stuff. All of their so-called valuable furniture, china and collectible figures aren't worth a dime to most people.

rmcj001 Another interesting race report. Congratulations to you and your wife. My next race (maybe) is in March.

Worked on the weekend.

Tues. and Wed. 7 miles

today: 9 miles plus an hour walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Finally got in a run today. Though it was only 3 miles. Just haven't felt like going for a run lately. Oh, I have good intentions and have dressed for it. But would get started on something else. I have been in what I call 'builder mode'. Doing the small time consuming jobs around the house fixing things. You all know how it goes. One thing leads to another and then another... This weekend will be more. Changing the shelves in what was the kids/grandkids room. It's now called the guest room. Whatever. Shelves in the area into the garage and some patching in the Arizona room.

Weather this morning was strange. Has been coldish in the morning where I needed my winter long sleeve shirt. Knew it was warmer this morning because the house felt warmer. Was cloudy, humid and overcast from the weather but was definitely warmer . So changed into a light weight long sleeve shirt and went running in that. About a quarter-mile from the house it started to rain. A steady light rain. So I hurried up before I got too wet.

Rich - I remember how invigorating it was going outside in that cold weather. Don't miss it one bit! Too bad on the conditions being all over the place. Just keep telling yourself that Spring is around the corner. 

AZ - Sounds like progress with the injury but a little painful. Hopefully just a couple more weeks before you get your 'running' papers.

Ray - Nice report. Having competition and chasing someone sure adds to the excitement of the race. And feels good when you pass them.

Chantilly - I have been working the garden a little all along. Picked some green beans from the pole beans growing but they were 'blah'. Not sure what the issue is but this is the first time I've done pole green beans. The bush green beans were better. The rest has been doing fairly well. The broccoli and cauliflower plants are big. I'm just waiting for them to start producing the goods. Lettuce and radishes have been going into the salads. There is one more basil plant that will get picked some for cooking this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WOOHOOOO!! My 'baby' (car) recovered and came home safely yesterday!! it made my day for sure!  Looks brand new! All new parts and they complimented me on how 'nice' it drives on their test run.  It's in the enclosed shop for now, probably will stay there for most of the winter. So had another PT session on Thursday (yesterday).  The day started out a little dreary but by 9 am, it was SUNNY, a breeze only and temps around 25!! WOW!! Today is about the same.  Been walking on snow-covered road around the neighborhood around the afternoon just to get the legs/feet some movement besides the strengthening exercises.  My lateral calf area is still bruised but less tender ....... I thought.....until PT started to massage the area to see where he could place the needle.  Certain areas are ok but most of the deeper areas are still sensitive and muscles feel pretty sore from the treatment.  So we decided to wait till next week.  I did more calf/glute/hamstrings/ankle strengthening exercises. I feel like all my leg muscles have atrophied!! But injury area seems to be responding.  I 'jogged' for 5 minutes, felt good.  We are staying home for the weekend.

Ray:  another BIG CONGRATS on your latest race!! Incredible finish time, congrats on new PR ........for that course? It's a bummer you had to stop to confirm direction.  Those last few yards of confusion due to the course can really sapped a lot of energy to get going again.  Glad you passed those two though.  Congrats also to DW and DS's SO, they did awesome!! Family affair makes it so much more fun.  How far are you from your mileage goal for the year?

Art:  I have good intentions to run everyday too, LOL!! You got 3 more miles than I did, ha!! It's nice weather to run in the 'valley' during this time.  We have a "AZ room" too at our Flag home, haha!! It gets the most sunlight.  You've done alot it sounds like.  That's cross-training for sure.

Chantilly:  Sounds like 'Joe Cool' lives up to his 'coolness' by being the loner.  DH is feeling better now, a bit of hacking cough but I'm glad it didn't get worse.

NH:  constant changes in the weather really affects the dirt roads more.  I know I have to be more careful when I use to run the dirt road to the nearby lake but I love the sound of snow crackling beneath my feet.

Dan:  Glad you're getting some days off from your hectic schedule.  I'm not getting much done but hoping January will get me going in regard to jogging in the indoor gym.

Everyone take care, stay safe and warm!  Joyous Holidays w/ your families. Safe travels.  Happy Healthy New Year!!

NH Runner

Friday, 12/23... 5 mile walk / jog on the railtrail today.   The frozen footprints in the snow were gone, covered by a couple of inches of fresh snow, then beat to smithereens by a bunch of high flyin' snowmobilers...lol   Anyway, the Yaktrax I wore have little carbide studs in the forefoot that work fine in ice, but not on soft snow and I was slip sliding away most of the time.   I want to try running the road for a change in the morning, but rain's in the forecast. so we'll see.   Big doin's here tomorrow, kids, grandkids and family will be here to eat and I'm the cook.   We'll eat, then open gifts, etc., then do the same thing at my daughter's place Sunday.    WAY too much to eat...

Chantilly...seems like there's always an issue with the railtrail this time of year, conditions change almost on a daily basis...lol    I didn't get a chance to talk to the dog sledders the other day, they were concerned about the loose dogs up ahead on the trail and stopped as I continued on.    Fresh sled tracks were in the snow today, so they've been through again since I saw 'em, hopefully I'll get a chance to ask about their race schedule soon.    You're solid as a rock as always, nice mileage the last few days.

Art... if I'm dressed properly, I actually don't mind running in the cold...too much...lol   If I'm wearing a windbreaker with a full length zipper so I can raise / lower the zipper to control the heat and keep my hands warm, I'm good to go.    Somewhere around 10 degrees is probably my limit though, I've run when it's a little colder, but it stops being fun.    This time of year, 3 milers are good, you're still maintaining...

az... I'd forgotten about your run-in with the deer, you and DH were very lucky only your vehicle got hurt.    Nice to get your 'baby' back though, eh?   Hey, a 5 minute jog that felt good ain't no cake walk, you're gaining!

justrundan

I hope everyone had good holiday this past weekend.  I know I took in way too many calories! And that may continue!

Finally got outside for a run today, 5 miles on the River Walk in town.  Upper 30's but very windy, so heading back into the wind was a bear!  Hopefully will get in SOME activity on a semi-regular basis to start new year.  I need to try to build a little endurance back now. 

Chantilly- are you all OK out in the plains?  Reports sounded bad.  Hope all is well.

Dan

Hello everyone!  Sounds like we all didn't let up on the eating, LOL!! The 'blizzard' wasn't too bad over the weekend.  Some light snow but the wind kept up and swirl the loose snow around.  It was overcast all weekend till today, blinding sunshine!!   YAY!! We stayed home all weekend.  I started feeling congested on Friday and it got worse, over the weekend! Christmas day, we got up early, opened gifts, had a vitamin-C packed fruit smoothie and I went back to bed by 10 am!! and slept till 3 pm!! I don't take any meds so just letting my body take care of itself.  Yesterday, hacking cough and sneezing but hot tea calms it down.  Staying hydrated and just resting when I need it.  Feeling a little better today!   Had to canceled PT appt yesterday.  I have not gotten sick in YEARS!!  I think being around people who are sick, coughing, sneezing (and stinky icky cigarette smoke on smokers' clothing/hair in reception area ) when I go to my PT appts (last 2 weeks) didn't help either.

Dan:  WTG on the 5 miler!!  Don't know how that feels anymore, ha!  I miss running in the cold and on snow when it's sunny and 'warm' above zero degrees.  The sun really makes a huge difference.

NH:  DH got me a pair of Black Diamond trekking poles, YES!!  I had that on my list all year!!  I'm anxious to try it on New Year's day when we plan on going snowshoeing w/ a group in the state park ..........hopefully I feel ok by then.  I can't wait to try it on my planned hike in the Grand Canyon in March!! I know you are the cook in the family, great recipes can keep you going for seconds, thirds, etc!!

Art:  Couldn't believe Camp Verde got that much snow ...........saw it on weather channel.  Mund's Park is usually the area that gets the most accidents.  Stay warm!

Chantilly:  oh my, I can't imagine the wind you had to deal with.  Stay safe!

rmcj001

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Rich  -  Eating and over eating is such a tradition! DW and I share cooking duties, tho she's calling the shots. Do you do sous vide (sue vee)? For those who don't know, sous vide is cooking with water, you have a device that holds the temperature fairly constant and you put what you're cooking in a bag (eliminate as much air as possible from bag) and then let it cook for a long time.  A friend got us a sous vide machine (a souped up hot iron) that you put in a pot and will hold temperature to what ever you set it to. We cooked a ribeye roast for 6 hours at 132F for Christmas dinner. Of course, you need to brown the outside, even if the meat is cooked - still looks raw at that temp. Works really well for hardboiled and softboiled eggs (pasteurizing them too). Not a lot of work, but you have to plan ahead.

Chantilly - March?! That's so far away.  I get too worked up before races to wait that long.

Az - Hopefully you're getting everything out of the way this year!  Get better soon! Weather has been really nice here in the Bay Area, crisp and clear.  We were doing a 12 mile hike yesterday and even tho were in the San Jose area, we could see SF and Bay bridge clearly!  DW has been expecting the annual newt migration, but we have only seen one out and about.

Art - Industrious mode! Nice to get all the projects done!  At least the days are getting longer now and you'll be back running before you know it.

Dan - Nice to get that 5 miler in! I understand the appeal of running outside. I've been running way too much inside these days...Keep it up!

I've been struggling to keep up with the pace bunny. 5 days to go and 35 miles to reach 2500 for the year. I've already set a record for TM miles at nearly 160 miles! Last couple of weeks my legs don't feel like they have much life in them, but I don't seem to have any problems running with any pace (read that as 8mpm or lower). Been watching lots of war movies this past week while running.  DW keeps scheduling hikes and it has been tricky getting in the runs. Yesterday, after the 12 mile hike, made up most of what I missed the day before with 9.4 miles and most of "Black Hawk Down." Already reached my daily step goal for the year and floors. Think we're scheduled to lead a couple of 10 mile hikes for 31st and 1st.  Happy New Year!

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 12/28... Christmas eve with family opening gifts and eating too much went great, but Christmas day was another story.   DW got up saying she wasn't feeling well.   After listening to her complaints, I tried to check B.P., but the machine gave an error message.   Tried again, same result.   Checked mine twice, worked fine both times.  One more time on her with the same error message, I decided it was time to head for the hospital.   Symptoms were tingling in fingertips of left hand and swollen area on left side of neck that was painful.

Hospital's just 15 minutes away, so I figured best plan was to get underway rather that call the ambulance.   Hospital was excellent, 4 baby aspirins to chew (quicker absorption) and intravenous blood thinner.   Blood pressure 200 over 100.   Enzymes in blood indicate heart attack, they get her stabilized after a while with B.P. down to 130 over 75.

Long story short, local hospital transported her to Dartmouth Hitchcock, more tests on 12/26, then early morning 12/27 scoped the arteries leading to her heart, found lumps in arteries but no significant blockage, so treatment will consist of prescription meds.

I brought her home last night, doing much better.   Obviously, this is a wakeup call, no amount of prodding on my part convinced her she needed to take her health more seriously, but this episode has definitely got her attention.

Obviously no workouts for me lately, but I should be back at it soon.

Dan... congrats on the 5 miler!

az... I've a feeling you're going to make good use of those trekking poles, love your attitude!

Ray... conventional cooking for me, but do sous vide sounds interesting.   When things settle down, I'll check it out...

justrundan

Rich- Whoa!  So glad DW is OK & can manage this medically for now.  You will be working together on this for sure.

Dan

Art in AZ

Got in 3 miles this morning. Still cloudy and limited sun. Another storm and cold temps predicted coming through the weekend. The constant colder temps did in the pepper plants but the winter crops are doing great.

AZ - Know you are happy about getting car back. Hope you're feeling better and getting ready to start the new year off on the right foot. Or the left. Yes, the weather has been strange here the past few weeks.

Rich - Sounds like Christmas eve was a good time with family. Good to know your wife is better after that scare. You can only hope she takes the advice to better her health. Maybe she will be able or wanting to get some walking in.

Dan - Anything against a strong wind seems harder. Think of it as resistance training.

Ray - We have no doubt you will pass your goal for the year. Have fun on those hikes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Rich:  OMgoodness!!  That is such a scare!! You are to be commended for getting her to the hospital asap.  That is critical.  So glad and relieved, I'm sure, that DW was taken care of thoroughly and promptly.  It took DH a couple of 'scares' to finally realized that the change is a lifestyle change for the rest of his life.  I know you will be a very encouraging support for her.  Wonderful news that she is home and recovering.  The new year is a golden opportunity to begin a healthy journey.  Keep us updated.

Dreary and windy.  Light snow fall earlier this morning, about 20 degrees now, feels 5 w/ wind chill.  High predicted for today is 23 degrees!

I'm still not 100%, but feeling much better each day.  The dry hacking cough resulted in a pretty sore throat, I sound like Darth Vadar, LOL!  But each day, I'm feeling better.  However, I canceled my PT session today, body is still feeling achy/tired.  Been doing a little bit of suggested exercises now and then throughout the day.  DH is feeling fine. Not sure if we will go to the usual masquerade ballroom party on new year's eve.

Art:  latest storm left good amount of snow in the high country from what we've seen on tv and heard from our AZ neighbors.  Sorry about the peppers. I've been thinking that it would be a good investment to have a small greenhouse when we return to AZ.  Probably insulated too.  You're staying consistent despite the changing weather.

Chantilly:  hope you're staying warm!! Looks more brutal in your area.

Dan:  I'm sure you had a pretty full house for the holidays!!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ The www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org  is in Apache Junction on Feb. 19 if you are interested (and tired of gardening and home reno's) The race has all distances.

az2mntrail I hope you and your husband are over the "colds" and feel better. Nice to get your car back. You had more snow than us.

NH Runner Glad to hear that your wife is doing better after the angio and blood thinners. Hope she can keep her B/P down with meds and lifestyle changes. Good call on your part in acting quickly.

rmcj001 I have seen that cooking technique on TV. So it really works, eh? Good luck getting your goal for the year.

justrundan Nice to get out on the river path. Was it slippery? Did you get any treatment for your leg yet? We didn't have too bad of winter conditions here, it was more S-E of us.

Working full time over the Christmas/New Years holidays has reduced my training.

4 miles today plus 10 minutes on the stationary bike and 30 minutes walking.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Rich - Wow! That's just scary!  Did they put her on Lovenox? Yes, definitely time to take care of her health.  Ultimately, everyone has decide for themselves what they're willing to do to maintain their health. Despite years of Mom and the kids complaining and telling him smoking was bad for him, my dad only quit after spending a week in the hospital where they had to drain the "black" liquid from his lungs that it finally sunk in...Let her know we're all hoping she heals/recovers quickly.

Az - Sounds cold there! Hopefully, you and your DH are recovering and will be all well soon.

Art - Good do get the run in, even if it wasn't that long. Sometimes we need a break. I'm looking forward to the first and an off day! Just don't take too many off...

Chantilly - We had/have the Fridays and Mondays off this year.  But, I've used up too many of my paid off days, so I've been working the rest of the time.  You're really good about getting your miles in.  Don't let work get in the way too much.

Dan - Hoping you're time off is going well!

2 days left and I only need 9.7 miles to hit my goal. Nothing is sure in life, but feeling like I'll make the miles. Already a record December.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Ray