50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

justrundan

Why not start the new month @ 2AM?  That's what my brain seemed to say this morning!  Sleep has not been my friend recently.

49 miles for August. OK for maintaining.

AZ- I've thought of Rails to Trails again, or the Madison HM in early November.  Need to register for something to improve my motivation.

How is the knee doing?   Get in some rides before it gets too cold!

Chantilly- Hopefully you came down with that cold early enough to be recovered fully for your FM!   You're in taper time anyway, so you're not missing the hard training.

Rich- way to power through those soft areas!  Nice to see the hard work pay off.

Art- Seems odd to think of planning your plantings now.  Nice to be able to look forward to that.  The summer squash in our garden have been amazing, a jungle out there.  The compost from our local farmer friend really did the trick.

Will get outside after another cup of coffee and start September off right.  Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Dan

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/1... after a short warm-up, ran 4 road miles in the new Puma running shoes this morning.     Was hoping for a painless run that would give me the green light to run the covered bridges half marathon this weekend, but my heel didn't cooperate.   The new shoes feel good, but within a couple of miles my heel was complaining, so I'm going to forget running the half and just keep doing what I'm doing.    I'm a little disappointed, but not really surprised...

Dan... yep, your miles are more than enough to maintain.   I don't have many 2AM mornings, but have lots where I'm up before the sun...lol    I've heard it's the sign of an active mind, but find that hard to believe when I can't find something I just set down and can't remember where...lol

Art in AZ

Crazy busy couple of days with work.

3 quick miles Wednesday morning.

Rest day today. Well no running today. Last day of up and down ladder. I think it will feel good running tomorrow.

AZ - Nice 12 miles there on your boring run. The winter crops are cauliflower, broccoli, onions, carrots, beans, peas, lettuce. Couple of pots of each to start.

Chantilly - Hope the cold is better or gone now. I put the little containers in a big plastic mixing container and put a little water in the bottom so it soaks it up. And then usually lightly spray in the evening if it needs it. When they get to seedling size into the garden they go. Some things still have the cover over them but that will probably get taken down later this month.

Rich - All the tryke riding has paid off. Yes, there is no comparison for fresh picked vegetables. It interesting to watch people's reaction when they have fresh food and remark how great it tastes.

Dan - Fresh compost from the farm or local place is great. Unfortunately since I don't have a pickup anymore have not gotten any. Thus I try to make my own. Registering for a race is a great way to improve motivation.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

5.4 mi this morning in the fog.  First morning I wished I'd worn gloves.

Rich- sorry about the heel!

Art- those veggies will be great as they yield for you.  We've gotten summer squash that DW uses for double chocolate zucchini cake and bread.  Who knew vegetables could taste so good, or that cake could be so health. 

Dan

Chantilly75

justrundan You must be working early? Running in the fog is kinda beautiful..but, second that on the gloves.

Art in AZ Hope you can get in a good run. You still have lot's of time for the Haunted Half. Do you have a real greenhouse or do you just make one with plastic/awning?

NH Runner Thinking of you and wishing you the best!

12 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/3... rode Isabel 11.5 on the roads today.   Lots of stares, same old stuff...lol

Art... bet you're glad the ladder climbing is over...lol  Still, it's a different kind of workout, eh? lol

Dan... thanks.   We were 44 degrees in NH this morning, definitely would have been a glove day except I waited for the sun to warm things up...lol

Chantilly... thanks.   Nice run today!

NH:  bummer on the continuing heel issue .......resulting in opting out of the race today Have you dealt w/ PF also, isn't that part of heel pain sometimes? The "silver lining" is in the new shoes feeling good at least.  Do you ride the tryke on the same route?  I'm sure you get alot of curious stares of "what kind of 'bike' is that?"

Dan:  you did say you tend to feel cold but the cooler temps are mostly in the mornings around here too.........maybe fog, I don't know b/c I promise myself I won't run that early unless it's a race, LOL!!  Have you been searching for a fall race?

Art:  the "up and down" workout woke up some sleeping muscles?  Are you running in a costume for the Haunted Half?  Come on ........you have to ........and post a pic!! 

Chantilly:  you must be feeling better ..........12 miles after being sick, way to tough it out!!  Are you going by yourself to your upcoming race?  Take photos!

Friday (yesterday):  gym workout.  20 min cycle, 30 min weights, and a mile of strides w/ running drills every other lap.

Today:  SRD.  Injury area/knee a little sore so lots of foam rolling.  Planning on a 12 miler tomorrow ..........might rain.

DH and I will be traveling to St Louis for a conference Wed-Sun.  Hoping to get in some short runs in new area!

Art in AZ

Friday didn't run but got in a 10 mile bike ride instead.

5 miles this morning before spending the day working around the house. Looks like I'll be able to pick some Anaheim Chili Peppers next week. There were some that were in the 4 - 5" length. And still have a lot of basil growing.

Dan - That sounds like an interesting recipe. I'll have to look into that some more. How can anything with chocolate be bad for you?

Chantilly - Next race is a 15K on Oct. 2 for a women's shelter. I don't have a greenhouse. The closest thing is the Arizona room on the back of the house. It occasionally gets used if it gets real cold and I have seeds starting.

Rich - Maybe the people were staring and saying 'I want one of those."

AZ - Yes to the different muscles being used. Friday morning I felt beat and slept in a little. That's the reason for a bike ride instead of a run. The last time I was in St. Louis and was in the park area of the Arch, I saw a couple of people running along the river and through the park. Thought it would be a place to run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner I was kinda hoping that you changed your mind and went to the HM at the last minute...but nice tryke ride done instead. Are you certain that it is not your achilles' tendon? Because stretches wouldn't help the achilles, it would hurt them. I just wondered because it is not getting better.

az2mntrail Hope your planned 12 mile run goes well. Have a safe trip. I'll be running with about 500 FM's, about 2600 HM's plus relay teams throughout the city on paved park paths, with street running kept to a minimum. Some of my friends are going, but they are all faster than me, so I won't see them unless I meet them on an out and back area.

Art in AZ Good to change things up with the bike. You probably needed that extra sleep. Are the chilli peppers the hot kind?

10 mile run on the track

11 minutes stationary bike

5 mile run

Now for 6 days of  "taper madness" where I think that I am coming down with everything from the swine flu to full body stress fractures. 

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning before going out for a family breakfast. Morning was sunny, clear and in the low 70s. Felt good.

Chantilly - That race looks like a big deal with that turnout. Always fun to share a run with friends. Even those that leave you behind.  These chili peppers are in the medium range. These get long and are good for stuffing sometimes. I'll probably make some seafood stuffed peppers with some of them. Some of the seeds I planted are Jalapeno peppers. Those can be quite hot some times. They are used for Jalapeno poppers. Stuff the pepper with a cream cheese mix, dip in batter and fry. Makes for a great appetizer.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/4... 6 mile railtrail run this morning.   Wore the Pumas with 4mm heel lift and had a good run with just minor heel discomfort.    Later in the day though, my heel got sore and stiff, reaffirming my decision not to run the half as a good one.    I just figured running 13.1 miles could possibly set me back a month or more and something I didn't want to risk.    Between running and cross training, I'm covering about 60 miles a week right now, so it ain't all bad...lol

Monday, 9/5... taking the day off...

az... yes, I've dealt with Plantar Fasciitis, but just once.   Once you get it, you never want it again...lol   I've had it try to come back on me a couple of times, but recognized the early symptoms and stopped it cold by doing what got rid of it the first time.    P.F. is when your arch tears away from your heel bone and the pain is in the bottom of your heel.    What I'm dealing with is an inflamed Bursa, the sac at the back of the heel that acts as a cushion between your Achilles and heel bone.    Maybe Dan can shed some light, but my experience is chronic inflammation can be really difficult to get rid of.     And yes, I ride the tryke on the same routes where I run and ride the bike.     Did you get the 12 miler in Sunday?

Art... yeah, I heard one woman say, "I like that bike" when I went past...lol   Isabel ain't pretty, but does exactly what I was hoping for, a fairly thorough upper body workout.    You've got a nice fall schedule for racing lined up.    MAYBE I can jump in and run a few of the 5K's coming up this fall.

Chantilly... I know you can have Achilles Bursitis and Achilles Tendonitis at the same time, but I honestly don't think that's what's going on with me.   I've got an appointment with my Primary Care coming up and will bring it up to her, but I can push my Achilles around without pain, so I think it's ok.    Odds are, if I just stopped running for a few weeks, the problem would go away.   And I'm going to do that, just not yet...lol   I laughed out loud at the thought of "full body stress fractures". lol  Been there, done that...lol  Good luck!!

Sat: rest.  Sunday:  by the time I got out for my LR, it was 80 degrees, 90% humidity!! So I just got in 6.1 miles instead on dirt road at fairgrounds and nearby lake. One of those salty runs .  First mile was pretty tough, injury area stiff/tight so paused for 15 seconds to stretch, bend it.  Finally felt relaxed by mile 2 and rest was fine with 30 sec stretches/easy squats every 1/2 mile.  I have to force these breaks even when I get in 'the groove' and it feels good.  Much less swelling in back of knee post-run with these breaks.

Monday (today):  rest day. Rained alot thoughout the night.  Mostly around 75 degrees but between 90-100% humidity, WHEW!!

Will try for 12 miler again tomorrow.

NH:  sounds like it was a smart decision to opt out of the HM.  That just sounds painful.  I've had achilles issue on right side years ago.  It was a case of "too much, too soon, too fast" on running hills (back in mountainous northern AZ).  Took about 4 months to heal.  Cross-training from the tryke is a life saver when healing from running injuries ........I'm getting use to my gym workouts.  5ks/10ks are tough to train for IMO.  But I'm no sprinter for sure.  Any soaking methods that might help the heel?

Art:  LOW 70s?!?  Must have felt like early winter, LOL!!  Being originally from northern NM, I.LOVE.CHILI!! RED and GREEN!!  I always have to bring back some to MN from the SW.  Not too many chili lovers up here ..........pepper is too hot for them, LOL!! They love Taco Bell too ....ewwww! Lots of good combination of biking and running mileage.

Chantilly:  race sounds like a HUGE event, wow!!  When I run with friends, I don't expect them to hang with me.  At this point, I'm lucky to be running. LOL!!  You are a smart runner and I know you'll rock the race!

Art:  knee gets cranky on humid cool days but it's getting me from point A to point B so far.  At least I can bend it the day after .......so slowly healing? I need races to motivate me as well.  Any luck?  Hope you got some sleep this holiday weekend!  And chocolate with veggies should be a side dish by now!

Art in AZ

11 miles this morning. Nice easy run listening to the music. Got out just as the sun was rising so the temps were good, nice clear skies and quiet. Saw a lot of bicyclists out this morning enjoying the weather and day off.

Rich - The smart thing to do was realize it was better to not race and risk further injury and pain. There will always be another race down the road. I would think if it doesn't heal when the real cold and crappy weather arrives, that would be a good time to take some time off and give it a good rest. Hopefully your doctor can offer some good suggestions. You know the old joke. Patient: Doc it hurts when I do this. Doc: Don't do that.

AZ - It's hard running in high humidity sometimes. Though during a slight cooling rain might feel good. I have to dig out my seafood stuffed peppers recipe to make sure I get all the ingredients for next weekend maybe. Have to wait until these peppers get bigger. I have a couple of Cajun Belle pepper plants but they haven't grown to full size. These turned into mini versions. Roughly 1.5" long and wide. Bite size. Don't taste bad but can't do much with them because of the small size.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Nice 6 and 11 in the cooler temps. I like stuffed peppers and also jalapeño ones on burgers, etc. The email from the website www.runqcm.com says there are 6000 registered for the various races over the 2 days.

NH Runner Nice run in the new shoes, too bad about the soreness coming back later on. Yes, I guess we could all be rid of aches and pains if we took weeks of rest..but who can lay around and do that??.. we gotta move! LOL

az2mntrail Temp was pretty hot there for your runs. We are cooler...40F in the morning and more rain! Hope you have a nice trip.

I had a day off due to work and yesterday walked 5 Km. No run today.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/6... 8 mile railtrail mtn bike ride... for recovery

Wednesday, 9/7... 10 miles with Isabel, first 2 on pavement, next 8 on the railtrail.   Soft footing on the trail made for some tough rowing...lol

az... tough weather conditions you're running in lately, it's either too hot, cold, windy, wet or humid, but we trudge on, eh? lol  You're doing well getting in your miles, that knee injury sounds like a pita...lol   And yeah, Achilles injuries are the worst, they just take forever to heal.    I'm icing my heel on a regular basis, but that's it, no soaks.

Art.. my thoughts exactly about not running the half, there's always another race.   Same thing with easing up once the deep freeze arrives this winter, that'll be the time to back off and let my heel get better.   Nice run Monday!

Chantilly... how's the full body stress fracture coming along...lol   Are you getting race jitters yet?    I love the pent up energy that's part of it, makes you feel like you're wired for 220...lol   And you're right, no time to stop and smell the roses just yet, we gotta run...lol