50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

Tuesday was a rest day. Just an easy day all around.

8.4 mile loop along the canal again. Rained earlier in the morning so it was warmer out and humid. Slight misting rain when I started but quit after running a couple of miles. Between that and the sweating at the end of the run it felt like I was wearing about 5 pounds of clothes. I was soaked. Storm moving out so we should be back to clear sunny skies for a few days.

Chantilly - That's a pretty big event with that many participants.

Rich - I can see where going from the pavement to the softer ground can be challenging. At least it's not sand.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ That's some good mileage for this week. How are you doing on the bagel situation?

NH Runner  Some good workouts for you.  Do you notice a difference lifting things after rowing the tryke all summer? No bone pain here, but sinus congestion continues...?allergies vs. a cold? 

4 mile run outside in 42F at 5:30 AM. Felt ok. Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/8... 6 mile run today.   Quick warm-up on the railtrail, then 5 on the highway before easing up to a walk /  jog last mile.   Heel was little testy, but pace was better and probably why I was winded by the last mile.    Wore the Pumas again, hoping they'd perform better than they do running the railtrail.    Tomorrow will tell the story.    On another note, my wife told me today I eat so much there must be something wrong with me...lol    BMI is 24    Yard work today, cleaned the garden of all plants and added manure and humus to the soil.    I'll mulch some leaves and add that and compost tomorrow, then cover with straw and be done...

Art... nice run yesterday.   I'm surprised you're not soaked after every run, what with the weather you deal with.

Chantilly... yes, the tryke's made a difference in my arm and upper body strength.   It's easier to lift things, plus my physical appearance has changed.   Not like a body builder, just a little leaner than I was.    Good luck with the sinus congestion!

justrundan

I got in 3 runs over the holiday weekend, about 15 mi total.  and on Sunday DW and I took our bikes to a railtrail and pedaled 8 miles to the next town, had a picnic lunch, then rode back.  Good time.  3+ miles on Monday and today.  Tomorrow I have dentist, nursing home, AODA staffing and then get to ride my cycle 60 miles to the dealer for service.  And rain is predicted. 

AZ- no race yet, dragging my feet on committing.  You?   Enjoy your trip.

Chantilly- good luck with your race this weekend!

Art- good miles for you again.

Rich- you are doing a good job prepping your garden for next year.  I can learn from you!

Dan

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning. Morning weather still feeling warm and humid.

Chantilly - Good luck this weekend. Bagels from Kokobelli Café passed the tests. Planning to go there this weekend to get another dozen.

Rich - Hope the Puma's worked out on your run. Agree on the eating. Some days it feels I can't get enough to eat.

Dan - Picnic lunch sounded fun. If your rain predictions are anything like ours here you have nothing to worry about. Then again you will be riding your motorcycle.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 9/9... 10 mile mtn bike ride today.   For whatever reason, a bike ride is good for a sore heel and why I ride the day after a run.    Heel feels pretty good, definitely an improvement over the day after I run the railtrail.    I'll be riding the tryke tomorrow, but would love to run more often, maybe I'm close.    Finished closing the garden as well, seems weird to look out and see it covered with straw, when just a short time ago it was a miniature jungle...lol

Dan... you're a busy man!   You did well over the holiday weekend, congrats.    "Vegetable Gardener's Bible" by Edward C. Smith is the book I'm following for most of what I'm doing in the garden, the rest coming from internet searches.    For a first time gardener, I did pretty well, but still have plenty of room for improvement.    What's stuck in my head is the notion that the more you improve the soil, the better your garden will do.   It's a pretty thorough book if you're in the market...

art... there are days when I'm eating something almost every hour of the day.   I'm guessing it's a metabolism thing, a tough workout keeps our metabolism going long after the workout's done and we end up doing an extensive calorie burn.   There's nothing wrong, we're just hungry.   I like it, shows we've got an active system that's firing on all cylinders...lol    We hit 94 here today, almost set a record for the day.   Forecasters say Fall is coming though and I'm ready.    They're saying there's not a lot of apples in the orchards this year, our drought put a lot of stress on the trees...

Art in AZ

3 mile run around the neighborhood. Decided to ride the bike for a bagel run instead of driving. So got in a 14 mile bike ride also. After getting the bagels had to eat one as I was hungry and they smelled so good. Now off to finish cleaning the leaves from the yard and a few other jobs on my list for today.

Rich - I'm with you on mixing up the routine. For me it keeps it interesting. I just wish there were some more choices closer around. It's either along the canal routes or along side the streets. When the weather gets cooler I can see me driving to the mountains and getting in a run there every once in a while. Too bad about the projected loss of the apples. And feeding the garden soil is always a good idea. You have the benefit of the winter months decomposing the organic matter into the soil.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/10... 11.5 mile road ride with Isabel today, puts her total mileage right on 400.  When I started riding it on June 14th, mileage was at 176, so I've ridden 224 miles this summer.   She's holding up pretty well, all things considered...

Art...nice double today.   And you're right, I'm always trying to come up with a different route to run, but there's only so many compass points to work with...lol   Not sure what the local apple orchard's going to look like.   I like to wait a little longer than most before going to pick, the apples are sweeter, but with quantities low, that may not be a good idea this year...

Chantilly75

NH Runner That's a lot of mileage on the tryke. Hope you can find a "U Pick" to get some good apples from.

justrundan A picnic lunch sounds so nice! Hope you had a good ride on your bike and there was;t too much for them to do on it. Was that just winter maintenance?

Art in AZ Good to hear about the bagels. Nice bike ride done.

The marathon started at 0800. It was cloudy and rain was in the forecast, so I wore a cotton T shirt under a long sleeved tech shirt which worked out well. But my mitts got wet from the light rain and I tossed them and spent the rest of the race with freezing hands. Glad that I wore my cap. Temp was 50F in the sun, but the wind came up, around 20mph, then it clouded over, so I was cold. We started in the park and ran on paved asphalt paths, with some road running on very uneven pavement. Had to keep looking down so that I didn't trip. The first 10 Km was too fast, tried to slow down, but I was so cold I just wanted it to be done.

5:30:30 was the chip time.  I was 2/4 AG.  287/419 overall.  About all I could expect with such low mileage this year and no really long runs done.  My 16th year at this race...keeping the streak alive...

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/11... today's plan was to do a quick warm-up on the railtrail, then run 7 on the road.   Warm up and first mile went ok, but towards the end of the second mile, out of nowhere, my heel started hurting like crazy.    Pulled up, turned around and walked home.    Pain subsided as the day went on, but I've decided to give my heel a break and stop running for a bit.    I'll continue to cross train, but really need to get this injury behind me if I can.   Dog-gone heel anyway...

Chantilly... your marathon report reminded me of the marathon I've run on an island on Lake Champlain in Vermont 3 times.    It's run in October, so it's always cold, and always windy because it's along the shore of a large lake.    I hate being cold in a marathon, it saps your energy like crazy.    And cold hands just add to the discomfort.   You did really well to hang in there, judging by the race results, it was a tough day for a lot of people.   Congrats. on the streak and gutsy performance!!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Sounds like you may need rest for awhile...but easier said, than done!

Rest day spent baking apple cinnamon squares (grocery store apples)

Cold and damp with frost tonight @ 25F.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 9/12... 8 mile mtn bike railtrail ride today.   Plan is to cross train and grab a few more days off for the next couple of weeks, but with no time limit for when I'll try running again.    Time to accept what I'm doing isn't working and try something different, eh?

Chantilly... you're smart to grab a little rest.   Making good use of your down time, it doesn't get much better than apple squares...lol

Hi everyone!!  DH and I returned from St Louis late Sunday night, decided to keep driving rather than stay the night in Minneapolis, arriving there at 9 pm.  So glad we got home and sleep in our own bed!   Fri and Sat mornings in St Louis was raining, in the 50s/60s but afternoon was sunny/breezy, 70s!  So decided to try the hotel TM (Ritz Carlton, so had high expectations), 30 min running.  TM surface was soft and felt great!!  Course I chose was 'New Zealand'.  It was very informative and scenic, making the time fly by!! Injury area was not happy tho, frequent stretch breaks for Fri morning, barely 2.1 miles, slow/easy.  Might have been due to the weather.  Sat morning run was much better!! But kept it short, 2.6 miles, slow/easy again.  Weight equipment was awesome!!  Iowa was flatter than MN!!  I've been in all states touching MN, yay!! LOL!! Long drive but caught up on my reading.  Fri, dinner close to downtown, walked the area.  On Sat, we spent the evening under the Archway, dinner at top deck of Hilton hotel overlooking Busch Stadium, game between Cardinals and Brewers!!

Rest day Sunday, travel back to MN.

Monday:  65 degrees, 80% humidity, overcast, breezy.  Injury area felt tight/swelling on back of knee was pretty uncomfortable the WHOLE run, stretch breaks didn't seem to help much but I finished 8.5 miles!! I got cold from the cold sweat.  R-I-C-E/stretching post-run, injury area felt better but still abit achy.  Massaged it, wrapped it.  I don't take any meds.  Felt better later in evening.

Tues (today):  gym workout, weights and elliptical only. It was 45 degrees this morning, 80% humidity. Chilly.

Chantilly:  CONGRATS on the finish and placement!!  Sounds like it was a chilly run.  I don't like cold hands/ears.......and uneven pavement/asphalt, they can hurt more than dirt if you face-plant, ouch!! You toughed it out, girl!! YIPPEE!!   Excellent way to celebrate your run with baking, I love hot treats on cold days!!  You deserve some rest.

NH:  sorry to hear about the heel being uncooperative Difficult to make the decision to stop running and 'wait and see' mode.  Tell me about it.  I need to do that soon. "just 2 or 3 more races"   How long do you think you will be able to ride Isabel? What about cycling until heel feels better?

Art:  Not too many routes around here either .........that I feel safe running alone but the X-country trails offer some short decent hills but it's "in the woods."  Bagel runs are harder to come by along the X-country trails, LOL!!  Nice mileage lately!

Dan:  glad you got in some miles here and there with your busy schedule.  Probably got our rainstorms that moved your way.

So went in for annual checkup.  I'm in excellent health from all the blood tests, etc.  Doc will request MRI with ortho doc.  I'm leaving for AZ/NM on Fri so won't get the MRI done until I return late Oct. In the meantime, I have a HM trail race on Sunday in NE but after yesterday's crappy run, I might have to change to the 10k, ugh!!!  Will see how injury area feels by Saturday.  And continue the 'wait and see' for the 24k trail race on Oct. 15 in AZ .........can always run the 10k, ugh!!   Not sure about the 25k in WI Nov. 5th ....... THEN I will take time off from running ...........I'm getting depressed just thinking about it ..........

NH Runner

Tuesday, 9/13... 8 mile tryke ride on the railtrail today.   Intentionally rode through the more difficult footing to get a better workout...

az... we hate to stop running, don't we?  The beauty of the human body is it'll heal itself from most injuries if we just give it a chance...lol  I'll do it, but I have to exhaust all other options first.    Sound familiar? lol   Like you said, you're in excellent health, obviously with a strong immune system, so when you get ready, your body will probably fix what's wrong.   Even if it takes a little medical intervention, you'll be better off in the long run.   (Pun intended)   Here's hoping for a fun Fall racing season fro you, I hope to get in a race or 2 before the deep freeze arrives, but really just want to train without the hassle of running through an injury.   It's all part of it, if running were easy, everybody'd be doing it...