50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

Saturday was a unexpected rest day. Decided to do something different in the morning.

Sunday turned into a rest day after it was decided Sat. night that there was a family breakfast and movie planned. Saw the movie 'Sully' and it was OK. Wasn't on my list of movies to see at the theater but others wanted to see it. It would be a good movie to watch at home. The movie was interesting seeing some of the things that happened after the "water landing".

5 miles this morning getting back into the groove again. Would have run longer but had annual checkup scheduled in a couple of hours. Boy was I hungry after everything was finished. It was lunchtime.

Rich - To bad the heel acted up again. I think between the tryke and bike rides you should be fine. You could even throw in a couple of walks to get some feet time.

Chantilly - Congratulations on the finish and the streak. I'm with you and the rest that running when cold, wet and windy out isn't any fun. If you can't get warm running then you know it's cold outside. And a great way to spend resting. Baking something to eat.

AZ - At least you got some running in on your trip. Might not be what you hoped for but it sounds like you had a good time. Which is just as important. Now that would be something, finding a bagel place along the trail. Being able to enjoy the scenery while having a bagel and something to drink. Hopefully your knees will cooperate for your races.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Took my car in for service which I scheduled online about 2 wks ago, they couldn't find my appt!! Told them they sent me email TWICE for reminders.  Anyway, they took it in and since they were running behind schedule, I asked to be driven to gym to get my workout instead of waiting in the reception area.  Efficient time-management on my part, I must say!!   20 min elliptical, 15 min cycle, 30 min weights, stretching while waiting for courtesy car. Sunny and cool, 55 degrees, NICE!!

Art:  Can't remember when we last been in a movie theater, it's been YEARS.  Lots of publicity on shows for the movie by Hanks and Eckhart. Hanks seems the perfect actor to play that character.  That was a miracle on the Hudson.  Good to have a change in routine now and then, I'm sure the body is grateful for it. You've been pretty consistent w/ training runs and biking.

Must be annual checkup time ...........I had mine, so did Art, who else?!?

NH Runner

Wednesday, 9/14... 8.5 miles on the mtn bike today, go for my annual check-up on the 20th....

Art... breaking up the routine is good sometimes, otherwise we'd get bored, eh?    Haven't seen the movie, but remember the incident well, that water was COLD.    Amazing story!    And yeah, I'll add walks to my routine if I'm down for long.   Mainly just playing it by ear, taking it a day at a time...

Az... adjusting on the fly, eh?...lol  Congrats getting a workout in...

Art in AZ

9 miles this morning in cooler weather. Ran the usual mid-week canal route. Though this time practically no one else was out. Only one other guy was out walking. Passed him on the outbound and passed him again on the inbound. Maybe everyone is resting for the weekend..

And I finally heard back that they have my registration and I am registered for the half on Nov.6th. So that's good news.

AZ - Good use of time. Waiting for your car to be serviced is boring. I bring the Kindle with and read.

Rich - I still haven't finished tuning the road bike I got from my daughter. Maybe this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Thanks, everyone!

NH Runner Lake Champlain is a little bigger than this city's man-made lake, LOL: but wind off any water is cold. Probably all the outside runners thought the weather was great after the hot summer.

Nice tryke rides...you gotta keep those arms in shape for your garden in the spring! Are you going to plan out next year's garden during the winter?

Art in AZ Some nice distance for you.  Good news to hear about the race registration. That took awhile.

az2mntrail Sounds like you had a good trip. I like to check out the hotel's fitness room as well. Hope you are feeling better by Sunday and have a safe trip.

3 days off spent baking, working and some fall cleaning.

6 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/15... 7 mile tryke ride on the railtrail today.   Without running to add to the mix, I'm finding riding Isabel every other day is a little much.   I think I'm going to grab a day off tomorrow, then add Nordic Walks into the mix to take the place of running.    Besides, it's almost October, won't be long and I'll be Nordic skiing anyway...lol

Art... it's amazing how unfair life can be, you're tuning your daughter's bike so you can ride, I'm looking around trying to figure out where to store mine for the Winter...lol  Nice run today...

Chantilly... have you ever been to Champlain?   Beautiful country!   And yes, I expect to be harvesting huge veggies out of the garden next year, so I'll be hammering away on the tryke...lol   I haven't given a lot of thought to next year's garden yet, but want to eliminate a few things I grew this year.   I was shocked at how good pole beans are, so they're a keeper, but Turnip wasn't worth the effort.   What we call Turnip here is actually Rutabaga and I love that, but don't know if our growing season is long enough.    You can see, I've got work to do before next year...lol

Gym workout today.  Cool temps are such a welcome but the mugginess is hanging around.  Overcast turned to rain later in the day.  Joints are really unhappy with the weather conditions but massaging them helps.  School in session so more students in the gym.  25 min cycle, 10 min elliptical, 5 min rowing, 30 min weights, a couple of laps of run/walk, drove home, stretching/foam rolling.  Dinner out with DH.  Packed and ready to leave tomorrow. Will stay in SD w/ DH's aunt, then drive/stay in NE on Saturday.  Trail race is Sunday.  Then onto Denver for a couple of nights.  So excited to see the mountains again!!  Will post when I can.

Art:  having a race scheduled will keep you motivated to train, I like those.  What do you do when you pass the same person?  wave once or both times?  I usually just wave once.  Is there a race this weekend there?  Can't wait to visit the grand-daughters in Glendale!!

NH:  you are very resourceful so I'm sure you  will keep up some sort of consistent training.  Walking is good, and you ski, right?  or X-country ski?  I hope the heel problem works itself out over the winter.  I'm really hoping my injury does...........

Chantilly:  so what do you have on your race schedule now? Chilly temps lately.

Dan:  hope you are doing well.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Lake Champlain was important during 1776 and 1812...I'm a bit of a history buff. I don't know what the difference is between a turnip and a rutabaga....whatever they are, I only like them raw, not cooked. Sad to say that the nordic skis will be out all too soon...

az2mntrail Nice gym workout. Hope you have fun! I'm looking at possible races and checking the piggy bank....

7 mile run

11 minutes stationary bike.

Working all w/e.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning before heading out for work. With the cooler weather it should be easier to getting in a long run without the heat beating me up. We'll see this Sunday if I'm correct.

Chantilly - There is nothing wrong with baking on a day off. Or on a run day. Fresh baked whatever from the oven. Yumm. Bummer working all weekend but we have to have a way to pay for our events. What races are you looking to do?

Rich - Talking about skiing already. Didn't snow arrive late last year?

AZ - Good luck on your trail race Sunday and have a safe trip. Usually I day 'Morning' the first time and on the way back it's either a wave or a smile. We're starting the season here so you can find several races to choose from. Just pick your distance and type. I was looking at races last night and saw they added a half to the Petrified Forest Marathon outside Holbrook on Oct. 22. I think that would be interesting but maybe pushing it some doing 3 half marathons over three continuous weekends.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

4 mile run this morning. Picked up car from body shop and then went to grandson football game. Now getting a bunch of stuff ready for the electronic swap fest tomorrow.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 9/16... yard work, but no workout today.

Saturday, 9/17... 3 mile Nordic walk on the railtrail this morning.    A balmy 42 degrees when I left the house.

az... enjoy your trip and good luck with your race!    I see only 5 minutes of rowing in your workout, eh?    I think you need a tryke to ride, you'll be rowing for hours...lol   And yeah, I x-country ski, that downhill stuff is for Sissies... 

Chantilly... you had me trying to remember Vermont's history, then it dawned on me, Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.   I know that's not 1812, I'm still thinking about that one...lol   Turnips are about the size of a beet with white flesh, Rutabagas are the size of a soft ball with yellow flesh.    Boil Rutagaga, mash like potato when it's soft and wipe with butter.    You'll thank me...

Art... yes, the snow was late getting here last year and snowfall total was way down.   That and the dry summer we've had has us in a drought.   Saw on the news the dry weather's killed off the ticks, so that's good news, but I'm hearing from people who've picked apples the orchards haven't fared too well.   Hopefully our weather will turn, Fall around here is usually pretty wet.

justrundan

3 runs between 3-5 miles this week, likely a hike with DW tomorrow.  Most runs now are before sunrise, so my headlamp has been getting a workout.  Also got a very bright flashing red light I clip on back waistline of running shorts.    It helps me be noticed on the country roads. 

AZ- good luck on the trail race tomorrow (if I got the date right?)

Rich- 42 in the morning, eh?  we haven't reached that low, yet.

Chantilly- good run before the work weekend.

Art- Hope the long run works for you tomorrow, and the cooler weather sticks around.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Dan

Art in AZ

Changed my mind for this mornings run. Decided to go for a bike ride instead. So did the 28-mile route so I got in a couple of hills and a few long inclines. Was pleased with the workout.

Rich - I haven't had turnip or rutabaga so I'll take your word on their taste. Bummer on the apple news. Hopefully you get a normal fall.

Dan - Hope the hike went well. Weather hit 105 here today but should be back in the 90s the rest of the week.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning in the neighborhood.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 9/18... 7 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today.   Cutting back a little on the cross training while I wait for my heel to come around.    It's making decent progress, but still has a ways to go.

Monday, 9/19... 6 mile tryke ride this morning.   Had to put my dog Simba down today.   We kept him as long as we could, but today ended up being the day we decided to let him go.  He was a rescue dog living in pretty bad conditions that might have contributed to his early kidney failure.    Never easy...

Dan... our weather's all over the place lately, we're slowly transitioning into Fall, but it's one step forward and two back...lol   The headlight and flashing red lamp are good ideas, never can be too careful in the dark.   You're running pretty consistent miles and maintaining nicely...

Art... that's quite a bike ride, 28 miles right out of the gate!    Did you ride your daughter's bike?    There are areas here where riding on the highway is relatively safe, but I'd have a hard time getting in 28 miles unless I rode early in the morning to avoid traffic.    Congrats. on a nice workout!