50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

Art in AZ

Easy day today. Also worked a little in the garden by planting some carrot, radish and onion seeds. Just a couple foot row of sweet and red onions, a row of regular carrots and a row of heirloom carrots. The heirloom carrots are a mix of yellow, white red and purple. So it's always a surprise as to what comes out when we pick them. I add radish seeds to each row to help identify the rows. Supposed to be cloudy with chance of rain for the next few days so is a good time to start some seeds.

Rich - Nice rides there. I rode my mountain bike as half of the route was along the canal so there's the soft dirt/sand to get through plus some sections that are pretty rocky. Mountain bike has better tires for those conditions. Always a sad time when we lose a pet. Thinking of getting another later?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Tuesday... day off.   Annual check-up went good, Primary Care says my numbers so far are excellent...  Checked my swollen heel and advised 3 days of heavy Ibuprofen dosage to knock down the inflammation, 800 mg after each meal for 3 days.   I know Ibuprofen messes with kidney function and production of the mucous that protects the stomach lining, but I started with the NSAIDs yesterday and seeing lots of improvement already.   I figure 3 days of Ibuprofen is probably better than Chronic Inflammation going on indefinitely.  If this doesn't work, next up will be physical therapy...

Wednesday... 9 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today.   Nothing special, just trying to keep moving...

Art... love the taste of fresh carrots!   I planted in 2 places this past spring.   First ones were great, second ones were stunted because I made the mistake of planting them next to cucumbers I'd set to grow on a trellis.    Everything was good 'til the cucumbers got so high the carrots were in the shade all day long...lol   Part of the learning process, eh?  lol    Your bike ride just got more impressive, half the ride on a mtn bike because of rough conditions.

I'd prefer not to get another pet, but will probably get over-ruled by DW...lol   The phone will start ringing soon with news about the next dog we should get, my kids and grandkids will be looking for sure...lol   Pets are great, I'm just not keen on being the one who has to put them down.   I can't just walk off and leave 'em with the Vet when it happens and it's hard to watch if you stay, but there really isn't another option...

Art in AZ

9.5 miles this morning under warm and cloudy skies. Remnants of storm system (no rain again) leaving before next one moves in tomorrow. Supposed to cool down.

Rich - Here's hoping the doctor's advice is right on and you feel no pain. Look up 'companion planting' for a chart that tells you what plant goes with what plant. Carrots and cucumbers don't do well too close together. The chart will help with planting next year. I use one here when I plant. The hard part is figuring out where everything goes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning with a couple of stops at the chin-up bar. Still humid out but there was a slight cool breeze.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Sorry to hear about Sim.  You looked after him well and gave him some happiness. Good news about your MD appointment and here's hoping for a continued improvement of the heel.

Lake Champlain was an important naval route to invade either country in the wars.

1776: Battle of Valour Bay-Benedict Arnold lost that one

1812: Battle of Plattsburgh-lost by a bad decision by Sir Prevost

Art in AZ Strange to read of you planting in the garden and I am clearing up perennials which have gone to sleep for the winter and raking leaves. Your runs should be keeping you in good shape for your fall races.

justrundan Nice running with your safety light.

I have been busy with work and the yearly professional review. 

4 miles on Tues. & Wed.

10 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

5 miles again this morning. Cloudy and cooler temps from the storm system passing through. Even got a little rain for a change so the garden was happy about that.

Run today was at a faster pace. Trying to get better prepared for upcoming races.

Chantilly - Still waiting for the seeds to start sprouting. All that's left from the Spring planting are a couple of basil plants and three pepper plants. Going to plant some seeds of peas and green beans this weekend. I have to finish mapping out locations first. Nice runs and hope the review goes well.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Those heirloom carrots sound interesting. Good to hear that you had some rain. Are you wearing a costume at the Haunted Half?

12 miles on the track

10 minutes stationary bike.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 9/22... 7 mile tryke ride on the railtrail, pushed the pace and got a good workout.

Friday, 9/23... 4 mile Nordic Walk.   Arms were a little sore from yesterday's tryke ride, but that's what a workout's supposed to do...lol   Late in the run a young woman I've seen running the trail before went by and I asked how fast she was running.   One of these runners who seems to just float along, she said, "7:45's".   Wasn't even working...    Also started work on a new and improved tryke today.   Where Isabel is a single speed, the new model will have 7.    I'm in no hurry to get it done, just getting the parts lined up for now...

Art... thanks.   My gardening book talks about companion planting, but I missed the part about cukes and carrots...lol    I'm done with the Ibuprofen regimen and it helped, but wasn't a cure-all.   It did take care of a couple of niggles that were bothering and made a lot of improvement on my heel, but I'm still not ready to run.   Biggest thing for me is to get this bleepin' leg to relax, then the heel should take care of itself.   Nice mileage lately!

Chantilly... thanks.   Sim was fun to have around and not having him in the house is taking a little to get used to.    And thanks for the history lesson, interesting.   More solid miles for you as well, nice!

justrundan

7:45's?   Sure, I hit that once when I was

racing down a hill...for a few seconds. 😉

DW&I got the companion planting all wrong this spring. Heirloom carrots & squash didn't go well together. 😳

6 miles yesterday & helped friends unload U-haul truck & trailer this morning, cross training done.

Still wet here in southern WI, but not as bad as the flooding in SW WI.

Dan

Chantilly75

NH Runner It is a little demoralizing to see young ones "floating" along. What gets me is the ones who run 3 abreast gossiping about all the people they know, not even breathing hard and they easily pass me by.

I still don't understand how gears work on a bike. I can understand about gears on a motor, but a bike is just peddling and a tire. I have tried to read about it,  My bike doesn't have gears or hand brakes...just an old fashioned kind.

justrundan Nice run and cross training. We have had over an inch of rain the past 2 days, which we did not need.

12 miles on the track. (I'm bored with the cold rain.)

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

6 mile run

10 minutes stationary bike.   Back to work.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 mile run Saturday morning after hitting the farmer's market. Got some tamales and fresh tortillas. Then some yard work and time in the garage.

12 mile run this morning along the canal. Tad warmer then yesterday but nice out overall.

Chantilly - Couple of nice runs there back to back. I haven't even thought of a costume yet. At the rate I'm going I should start thinking of ideas.

Rich - So you are starting on Tryke 2.0. And with an addition of some gears. So this will be the faster version. It does feel embarrassing for a few seconds when someone passes us. At least it's a little easier to take when they are younger than us.

Dan - Getting both an upper and lower body workout. Hopefully things dry out a little over the next few days.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 9/24... 6 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail

Sunday, 9/25... 6 miles on Isabel on the railtrail, the stronger I get, the more fun these rides are.    Also went to the apple orchard today.    Less and smaller apples because of the dry weather, but still plenty to pick...

Monday, 9/26... first frost of the year this morning, 32 degrees.   Checking in early and haven't been out yet, but plans are for a 4 mile Nordic walk.   Heel's coming along nicely and I'm tempted to run, but there's still a little pain when I press on it, so I'm holding off...

Dan... 7:45's on my bike are a snap, if I ever see that kid when I'm riding, I'll show her a thing of 2...  Speaking of the garden, I cooked and pureed the 5 pie pumpkins my garden produced this year, can't wait to see what kind of pie they produce...

Chantilly... "gears" is probably the wrong word for describing a bike with different "speeds".     Looking at the back wheel of your bike, there's just one sprocket that the chain rides on.   Now picture multiple sprockets on the same wheel, graduated in size going from large diameter to small and an arm that moves the chain so that it changes which sprocket it's riding on.   As the chain moves from one sprocket to another, the bike will either go faster or slower when you're peddling at the same speed and the same effort.    So, when you come to a hill and start to slow down, it's easier to climb by switching the chain to a larger, slower sprocket, all controlled by a lever on the handlebar.    It'd take you all of 5 minutes to get used to changing speeds on a bike, really simple.

Art... yes, tryke 2.0 is in the works.   It looks like it'll have 4 speeds slower than Isabel and 3 faster.    Faster isn't what I'm after, I'm really hoping it'll climb better than Isabel.    If I remember, you're a car guy, so you know what "top dead center" means.   There are 2 places in the tryke's drive mechanism where you can pull on the lever as hard as you want, but because of TDC, the tryke ain't movin'.    Forward motion gets the lever past TDC, but that pause is a killer if you're climbing a hill.    Anyway, I'm not sure different speeds will make a difference, but I'm hoping...

Art in AZ

12 mile bike ride this morning. Just rode the bike and checked out a couple of new areas. Just a meandering ride before breakfast.

Rich - Nice combination of rides. Well, how soon do we expect to see some apple pies?  I always wondered how you would do going up a hill on the tryke. I can picture you going up a hill and reaching a point where you can't go further and starting to slide backwards. And the first frost of the year. Sounds like a reason to bake an apple pie.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

short easy run this morning, hope to get out tomorrow for 2 in a row, a rarity these days.  cooler morning help, long sleeves this morning, probably gloves tomorrow.

Art- nice ride this morning.

Rich- our acorn squash did well this summer, DW plans on trying some new recipes with those this fall.

Chantilly-  cold and rain  don't go together well if I want to run outside.  TM it is on those days.

AZ- hope your trip is going well!

Dan