50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/7... no workout today, dug potatoes out of the garden and played 9 holes of golf with DD & husband...

Monday, 8/8... quick warm-up on the railtrail, then ran 10 miles on the highway.    Nothing special, but held a steady pace the whole way, one baby step closer to running the half next month...

Art... I broke down and painted the tryke other day.   I'm going to try riding it on the highway soon and want to make a good impression...lol     I think the way to know how much water to carry on a run is to weigh yourself before and after, but that might be wrong.    That 12 miler yesterday is impressive, WTG...

az... you didn't say, how'd the 4 miler go?   My heel's little painful, but not bad.   It is a pita though...

Chantilly... since I can't run every day, the bike and tryke keep me sane...lol  Tough week for you, Sciatica's no fun...

Another gym workout: stationary bike, weights, elliptical, few laps of running drills.

NH:  4 miles was on indoor track yesterday.  This has become my typical running day:  The first 1 to 3 miles on my runs, I have to stop and stretch and/or take knee support off, massage it and put it back on and it feels better, more flexible.  The 4th mile finally felt good, found my 'rhythm' and managed to increase my pace without lengthening stride which causes the discomfort back of knee.  Every time I stop for a walk break or stretch, back of knee takes a few seconds to bend and relax.  I iced it and massaged it when I got home, felt better rest of the day.  It's still healing, and I'm beginning to think that I have to just NOT run at all for it to fully heal.  I don't want to NOT run.  But, Yes, doing so prolongs recovery.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place. So what color do you think you will paint the tryke?  You have to give it a name now!

Art:  having a race can be motivating and can you just feel the cool temps of Kanab? Your training runs are awesome despite the heat.  Have you found out if it's a road race or not?

Chantilly:  yeah, southern NM is pretty hot and no shade.  Hope you run the event though, for the experience.

Art in AZ

10 mile bike ride this morning. Well, actually left the house at 10:00, so it was a late morning break. Still sunny and hot, even with the breeze from riding.

Rich - Yum. Fresh potatoes. 10 miles is 10 miles no matter the time. So you painted the tryke. That must of been fun painting all the tubes.

AZ - The race is mostly on the road with a few miles off into an animal sanctuary and then back onto the road. This from last year's description. There really has been a lack of useful information on the event so far. We'll see how it goes. I'll see how all this training does soon. I will be able to cross off a state that I have run in no matter.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Good 12 miles and then a nice bike ride there. 94F was the lowest temp I have seen for NM. My heat tolerance is quite a bit lower than that.

NH Runner Potatoes, golf and painting...some crazy kind of cross-training for you..LOL

az2mntrail Maybe it will heal up ok with less running, but take a little longer. I stopped believing in complete rest after reading about ultra runners.

6 mile run listening to old Motown songs and then did some yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Why does my 'rest days' fall on cloudy sky, less humidity and a nice breeze?!? Today is a blinding sunny day, temps in 80s/90s, barely a breeze so wasn't sure whether it would change or not, took my trail shoes just in case.  Went to gym for another workout. Elliptical, bike, and the day just got hotter so ran on indoor track instead, 6.1 mile, finished with weights.  I took a stretch break, and 5 easy squats every 1/2 mile and after each mile.  Injury area/knee was thankful for that.  Back of knee didn't swell up as much. I've been googling knee/calf/leg muscle/tendon injuries whenever I can.  Of course you end up saying "yeah, I got that and that too, etc." but I think the closest description is this: http://www.healthline.com/health/bakers-cyst#Overview1

NH:  there has to be an underlying cause (as you alluded to) for above to keep happening to back of knee.  So since this started after the calf area injury, I hope to see some improvement (back of knee) when calf area heals.  At least I'm still able to run. And today, with the stretch breaks/squats, I will continue that on run days.  I'm hoping that these less intense training runs is fostering the healing process.  I can't golf worth a heck but I love putt-putt!!

Chantilly:  Running a race in the roasting temps got me in trouble a couple of years ago when I ran a FM in south Texas so I really try to be vigilant about that.  Yeah, agree on the 'rest days' per ultra runners.  They can go forever on so little!

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Your knee doesn't hurt doing the squats? My knees hate squats and lunges. A Baker's cyst could be an answer for you. And, yeah, I hear you about "I got that and that," etc. So hard to tell and most MD's don't really know, either, IMO. Are you going to try the acupuncturist?

Thunderstorms here. 15 miles on the track. Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/9... 7 mile railtrail mtn bike ride today.   Not really riding hard, goal is for a recovery day.

Wednesday, 8/10... quick warm-up on the railtrail today, then a 6 mile road run with a decent hill in the 3rd mile.   Sore heel is responding to ice and the Ibuprofen I've taken the last 2 nights at bedtime, doing much better.    Gives me hope I might actually run (notice I didn't say "race") the half marathon during Labor day weekend.    Ever so slowly, I'm gaining...

az... I put a lot of thought into the colors for the tryke, basically the colors I already had on hand, green and red...lol Frame is red, handlebars and fender, etc. are green.   No name yet though, I've searched the net for names for trykes and came up empty...   It sounds like a Baker's Cyst is the symptom of another problem, right?     And it'll go away on its own if the underlying problem heals.     Have you seen the hamstring stretch where you lie on your back with a belt or towel pulled over the ball of the foot of the leg you're stretching?     Your unstretched leg stays flat on the floor and the stretched leg is at 90 degrees (roughly) to the floor with the belt held in your hands.     Pulling on the belt stretches your hamstring and it's important you NOT lock your knee.     The stretch feels very similar to the last stretch I posted, but different enough that it might be worth a try.    I do both and both help, just remember not to lock your knee.   It seems like you're gaining, backing off on the intensity of your workouts is probably a good thing.     Hang in there!

Art... the quickest way to impress people is to give 'em free potatoes out of the garden...lol  I'm so popular right now, I probably should run for president...lol    They are good...  Nice ride on the bike!

Chantilly... I'm a lousy golfer and painter and haven't been gardening long enough to know much about it, but it's all fun.   I was going to ride the tryke tomorrow on the road, but we're forecast for mid 90's, so that's out.   Railtrail it is, just me, the tryke and the deer flies.   So you just wander over to the track and run 15 miles, eh?    Good for you!

Art in AZ

Tuesday morning ran for 3 miles just to stretch the legs and get outside.

This morning, Wednesday, did the canal route so got in 8.4. Started out cloudy, humid and smelled like rain. Started and then the sprinkles started. Kept up for about 2 miles and then got past it. Didn't feel that much cooler but I did get a little wet. Cloudy and humid for the next 3 miles and then the sun came out. Temps went up a little. Soaked at the end.

Chantilly - Nice runs there. Your 15 mile run kind of sounds like " Bah, it's raining. I'll go run some laps."

AZ - You were 'lucky' on your rest day, that's all. Sounds like stretching really helps though. Curious, do you stretch during the rest of the day? I sometimes work in a set of push-ups and stretches while grilling dinner or reading in the evening.

Rich - Your 'run' on Labor Day sounds like my 'run' next weekend. I'm interested in how I do with the training so far. And the cool weather will be nice for a couple of days also. Though the long range forecast shows the temps going up. Figures. If you have a lot of extra vegetables you could put up a vegetable stand. And sell lemonade on the side.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Rest day today. It's raining outside pretty good and has been since early morning. Garden getting a good soak.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/11... temp forecast is for 90's today and the dew point's already at 71, so I hustled out early for a 10 mile tryke ride on the railtrail.    Another guy was already there, running bare chested and showing off his oversized belly...lol    NH's version of Joe Cool...    More importantly, I got in a good workout...

Art... I must not be paying attention, I didn't know your race was this weekend.    If the weather's cooler, you may be surprised and have a better run than you think.    You're doing good, congrats on the 8.4 miler.     The potatoes are almost gone and everything else coming out of the garden is being consumed by myself or family members, so there won't be a vegetable stand...   I'm surprised at how much better fresh is over the stuff we get in stores.   I knew it would be better, but wow!

We had some lightening last night, even at a distance further north, it was incredible to see.  Yesterday, there was the annual "Boomer and Beyond" event for 50+ people.  Couple of years ago, I rode my Harley bike there, parked right in front while most of the people are watching me, took off my helmet and tossed my hair (longer then).    But yesterday, rain was predicted and my plan was to go to gym for workout afterwards, so I took the car.  It did rain!  Anyway, most of the vendors displayed information on Alzheimer's, living wills, hearing aids, insurance, financial planning, diabetes, all kinds of "diseases associated w/ aging," retirement/assisted housing, giving away things like HUGE containers for pills with HUMOGOUS letters for days of the week!!, bowls of candy!!  It was depressing! Left after 15 minutes and worked out like crazy!! LOL!! 30 min stationary bike, 20 min elliptical, 20 min rowing, 1/2 mile of running drills (easy), 30 min weights, 15 min of shooting around with the basketball, made 12 straight free throws!! Yep, still got it!! LOL!!

Today, under cloudy sky this morning, ran for 4.1 miles, near house and fairgrounds.  The county fair is this weekend so LOTS of participants settling in with their trailers in small campground, horse trailers, tents..........they gave me puzzled funny looks when I ran by, the horses, I mean, haha!!  Clouds have come and gone but ominous clouds in the distance again.

NH:  tryke colors will keep you noticed, you think? Do you have a flag on it or a blinking light ........for safety perhaps?  Sounds like with our 'injuries,' we're just going to be happy with finishing.  I think you'll be ready for a good 'run' on race day, still plenty of time before Labor Day.  I got some fresh golden potatoes from a community garden, they were delicious without putting anything on it!!  4 miler was easy, and I incorporated the stretch/easy squats every 1/2 mile and after each mile.  It interrupts the rhythm of my pace where injury area feels okay but I know if I didn't take those breaks, back of knee will be swelling up.

Chantilly:  OH MY girl!!  15 miles is impressive!!  What does that feel like?!? LOL!!  No, the squats I do are very slow and easy, about 5 of them. The slow stretching seems to target the back of knee and hamstrings, making it more flexible.

Art:  Sounds like another good downpour.  If it rains on race day, you got some experience, haha!!  Glad to know I'm not the only one who stretches during the day.  I do dynamic and yoga stretches on the mat at home, sometimes with handheld weights or resistance bands.  I have a health rider too which really helps to loosen up my body.  You've got some good training miles in, just run your run on race day.

NH:  love the tryke avatar!!

Chantilly:  avatar photo is from your flower garden?

justrundan

Aug 11?? 

2 runs in August, both short.  Coming back from 2 weeks off kept me busy at work, think I'm caught up on the paper/computer work. 

AZ-  lover the verbal picture of you riding the Harley up to the 50+ event!  Hard to carry your walker on that!     Any word on MRI?

Rich- good workout in the heat and humidity.  The deer flies must have loved all the bare skin on the large runner!

Chantilly- nice miles yesterday!

Have great weekends everyone.

Dan

Aug 11?? 

2 runs in August, both short.  Coming back from 2 weeks off kept me busy at work, think I'm caught up on the paper/computer work. 

AZ-  lover the verbal picture of you riding the Harley up to the 50+ event!  Hard to carry your walker on that!     Any word on MRI?

Have great weekends everyone.

Dan:  HAHA......HAHA!!  Thanks for the visual and the laugh!  2 docs didn't think MRI is necessary at this stage ...........since I'm running and working out on it.  "Traditional treatment isn't always the best or recommended," said one doc.  The other "we've come a long way in treating sports injuries and MRIs do not always detect the problem."  I'm conservative when it comes to treatments and prefer alternative methods.  But I am being vigilant about it and so far, the stretch breaks during my runs, R-I-C-E post run, the exercises suggested by the ortho doc and PT have been working.....albeit slowly but that's ok.

Great workout at gym.  30 min bike, 20 min elliptical, running drills and weights.  Hope to get in a run tomorrow if weather cooperates.

Safe and cool weekend to each of you!! YAY!!