50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

AZ - The rain can sure be unpredictable sometimes. It was a road race and dirt road race. First 3 miles were on 89 heading into Kanab from the North. Then about 5 miles through the animal sanctuary there before getting back onto 89 towards Kanab. The scenery was great , after the sun came up. I don't know what other organization is doing trail races at those locations either. Oh well, it must be some secret organization.

You did sign up for the Cave Creek run on the 15th if I remember reading here correctly.

Art:  I found the site for the trail races ........finally!! http://arizonareg.com/running.php  Sounds like this is their first year? Race fee is still $35 for 20K. Making it hard to find and it's not on the Running in the USA race schedule, I'm kinda skeptical.

So I ended up not going to gym for workout   Rest day isn't too bad when nursing an injury, right? Sunny with slight breeze, 70s, very NICE today!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Hope you can get it figured out about the shoes.  Your corn sounds like a lot of work.

I had a summer job one year in the '70's de-tassling corn.  We stood on bars attached to a tractor and pulled the corn tassels off. It was early in the morning and the field was very wet with dew. (this job paid more than picking tomatoes, though) Kids today don't do that kind of work....warning..old timer reminiscing...

az2mntrail Nice 10 miler for you.  Too bad about the rain day.  Sounds like you have a bunch of races to choose from in AZ. No. I won't be going to NM. I just wasn't thinking about the weather still being so hot there. It was good to see Galen get a medal. The 2 Cdn guys did pretty well.

Art in AZ Congratulations on your AG finish! Kinda funny that you thought 60'sF was shivering.  You really are used to the heat. Good thing the rain didn't return. Are you going to sign up for Half Fanatics?

justrundan Good for you to get out for your runs in the heat and humidity.

Yesterday, I ran 2 miles, did some errands on my bicycle and did 3 hours of yard/flower bed work.  Hard to imagine, but some of my perennials need to be trimmed up/cut back for the winter already.It is 55F in the morning now.

Today I ran 7 miles on the track. Shoulders and arms sore from the yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Art- nice job on your race!!  Breaking 2hrs is an accomplishment, in my book.  Way to go.

AZ- is the trail race real hilly?   (I know, probably silly question, with the races you and Christie do!)  I'm looking for a fall race, but 25 K may be more than I can train for.

Chantilly- 3 hours of yard work, then a run!   Now that is a workout!  We are seeing cooler mornings here too.  I like that a lot!

7 mi last Saturday, 3.1 this morning.  Will try again Thursday.  Enjoy your week everyone.

Dan

NH Runner

Tuesday. 8/23... 11 mile railtrail ride on the mtn bike today.   I've already had 2 people tell me they'd buy a tryke if I'd build them one....

az... yesterday's slow pace during my run was due to anticipation...   My heel's like a cat waiting to pounce, one wrong move and it's... got' cha...lol   I'm trying to log whatever running miles I can, but will rely heavily on the cross training to get me through the half that's coming too fast...lol   Sounds like the rain was having a little fun with you Saturday...lol  Nice to get that 10 miler in Sunday though!

Art... I'm pretty sure Chantilly's right, a little heel lift in my shoes should take the pressure off my heel and let it heal, hopefully 4mm will be enough.    And yeah, there'll probably be some trial and error involved.    I had the same thing happen with leaf lettuce this year, ate a bunch of it but couldn't stay ahead of it and finally just gave up...lol

Chantilly.... you must have seen honey bees collecting pollen off the corn tassles when you were a kid, eh?   It surprised me to see, I always pictured bees collecting pollen on flowers, but not corn.   After reading, I DID manage to pollinate a pumpkin.   It's too late in the growing season this year for it to mature, but I'm ready or next year...lol    Yard work's underrated, 3 hours will definitely get your attention.    It was 45 degrees here this morning, the furnace was running...

Dan... you're maintaining pretty well...

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning easing back. A little humid from the rain earlier in the morning. Most of the rain had dried up. Except for the rain on the car. Had to clean the windshield before going out.

AZ - Went to that site and recognized it. Didn't pay much attention to it before. That site is a registration site for events. Here's the organization putting on the events. https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaTrailRunMTBFallSeries/

Seems they are having trail running and mountain biking on the same day at the same site. Still, haven't heard of them before or seen anything about them at Road Runners or the bike shops. So very well could be new. With that nice of weather I would have gone on a easy bike ride.

Chantilly - 3 hours of yard/flower work will do that to ya. I say that in jest of course as I will be spending some time in the garden this weekend. After my runs that is. There are a couple of basil bushes that are full so I can pick them and make some dried fresh basil.

Dan - Dan - My feeling on the 25K trail races is not so much the distance, (15.5 miles) as the up and down on my legs. The shorter distances I have done a few. Yes, AZ I know I need to train more for them.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

AZ- is the trail race real hilly?   (I know, probably silly question, with the races you and Christie do!)  I'm looking for a fall race, but 25 K may be more than I can train for.

7 mi last Saturday, 3.1 this morning.  Will try again Thursday.  Enjoy your week everyone.

Dan:  good to hear from you, must be back to that BUSY schedule?  Is it busier when schools start again? Your running schedule sounds like mine, 3x/week due to injury recovery.  The Eau Claire trail course description sounds much like the DWD regarding 'hills' with some technical portions (roots, etc).  I prefer point-to-point courses, not crazy about running 'loops.' I tend to lose 'interest' on the second-go-round, odd, I know. I think it would motivate my psyche if the second loop went opposite, and enjoy a different scenic view.  There is a 12.5 miles distance event. One loop =12.5 miles.  Fee increases for 25k/50k end of Sept.  http://chippewaoffroad.org/events/fallbackblast

3 miles this morning easing back. Most of the rain had dried up. Except for the rain on the car. Had to clean the windshield before going out.

AZ - Went to that site and recognized it. Didn't pay much attention to it before. That site is a registration site for events. Here's the organization putting on the events. https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaTrailRunMTBFallSeries/

Seems they are having trail running and mountain biking on the same day at the same site. With that nice of weather I would have gone on a easy bike ride.

Dan - My feeling on the 25K trail races is not so much the distance, (15.5 miles) as the up and down on my legs. The shorter distances I have done a few. Yes, AZ I know I need to train more for them.

Art:  You had to clean the windshield before going for your run? I'm not on FB but I saw that about the bike race/trail run on same day.  I'm on the email list so that's how I found out about the races.  My 58 yr old brother has been mtn biking for last 2 yrs so he's always on the look out for bike trails.  Anyway, I'm not running any of them.  The 2 hr drive to 'the valley' can be draining during summer.  DH is flying into/out of PHX so I will be in PHX to pick him up/drop him off, and for the 24k Cave Crk trail race.  That's enough trips to PHX for me, ugh!   You have a road bike?  Maybe try mtn biking too?  Lots of nice dirt trails for cross-training workouts.  I like 10k distance if they are technical, hilly courses, they are still tough and brutal so I get what you mean. I always keep in mind to "respect any distance and terrain." You did great in prescott HM trail though.

Tuesday. 8/23... 11 mile railtrail ride on the mtn bike today.   I've already had 2 people tell me they'd buy a tryke if I'd build them one....

az... yesterday's slow pace during my run was due to anticipation...   My heel's like a cat waiting to pounce, one wrong move and it's... got' cha...lol   I'm trying to log whatever running miles I can, but will rely heavily on the cross training to get me through the half that's coming too fast...lol   Sounds like the rain was having a little fun with you Saturday...lol  Nice to get that 10 miler in Sunday though!

Art... I'm pretty sure Chantilly's right, a little heel lift in my shoes should take the pressure off my heel and let it heal, hopefully 4mm will be enough.    

NH:  Isn't that exciting to hear/know?  I think WE have been saying that since you 'invented' it, right? So you might be coming out of retirement, LOL!! Now if you could 'invent' something to HEAL that HEEL.   I haven't run in 4mm since my Montrail (older ones).  I really liked the 'lighter' weight and cushion but it wore down within a year.  I did run a FM in them, felt awesome!  So I bought new ones but they  caused severe calf aches even with the insoles.  I haven't use them in months. I really hope the heel issue subsides, you sound like you're itching to run the HM.  My injury area is like your heel issue "one wrong move and ......!"  But we keep going.  Oh my!! 45 degrees!! Our weather has been up and down all month.  Suppose to be hot all week here, 85 yesterday!! It's actually not bad with less humidity and with the slight wind, cool breezes off the lake.  Sounds like your 11 miler tryke ride was a great workout!!

Chantilly:  how large of a garden and yard do you have?  After 3 hrs of yard work, I would be ready for an upright run.  We had around 50/60  degrees for a few mornings last week, it was nice but a reminder that winter is on the way already.  Fall/Spring get passed up here I think, LOL!! When is your upcoming marathon?  Have you run it before?  Good time management on the yard work and the 7 miler.

So went to gym for workout yesterday.  Will be going to gym again today, I actually got in an hour's run this morning. Didn't take my garmin but probably 5 miles.  30 sec stretch breaks worked well.  Today is my last day at the gym, not sure if I should renew.  DH renews his to get his swimming in.  Not a cloud in the sky, but a nice cool breeze this morning, about 60 degrees!!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 8/24... took Isabel out for a 14 mile ride on the roads today.    I ride the breakdown lane, but still encounter drivers heading right for me.    Two today, the second bad enough that I pointed my right hand to direct him out to where he should be driving.    Gave me a long look as he went by, I mouthed a couple of words any lip reader would understand...

Art... you bounced back really well after the half, another indication of someone who's fit.   So, now you know, training in the heat's a pita, but the benefits are still there...

az... I think I've known right along there's a market for a vehicle like Isabel.     Think about the time you spend in the gym doing upper body workouts and how much more enjoyable it'd be if you were outside having fun tooling around and working all sorts of upper body muscles at the same time.     And that's just people like us who take their health seriously.    I've "invented" a number of things that aren't available commercially, "necessity IS the mother of invention", eh? lol     I've been thinking I should put the idea in front of a bike maker to see if they're interested.    You've never seen the 2 wheeled lightweight frame I made that'll take a 50 gallon tote and perform as a lightweight wheel barrow for yard work or working in the garden,  put the fitted top in the tote and it's a mobile work bench, or remove the tote and drop in a lower shelf and table top, now it's a  wheeled cart for doing BBQ's, parties, or working in the flower garden, etc.    With 2 bicycle wheels 3 feet apart, it's very stable.     See what I mean, another great idea and something I use all the time, but couldn't buy...    Nice to get that hour run in today, congrats!

Chantilly75

justrundan Some nice runs for you after your holiday and race.

NH Runner You could go on the show Dragon's Den or Shark Tank with your tryke idea. Those drivers on the road are idiots.  Would they drive over in the break-down lane if a car was parked there? It is good that you go facing the traffic, can't trust them coming up from behind. I don't remember any bees when I worked in the corn fields. Don't you have any bees to pollinate your garden?  We always had a garden when I was young and we just planted vegetables and they grew. No maintenance except for weeding and maybe thinning out.

Art in AZ Sounds like you are recovering from your race ok. Fresh basil would be good. I chopped down the thistles in the back alley, so my shoulders hurt from using the hedge clippers.

az2mntrail Some nicer weather for you. Some good miles at the gym also. I guess there is no point in renewing if you're going to be gone for awhile. I have a huge yard and a lot of flower beds with perennials which were put in 40 yrs. ago by the original owner and I try to keep them up. Some perennials die off or get eaten/dug up and then I plant more, some of them get invasive and have to be taken back. The marathon is on the 11th.

It was 50F, cold,drizzly and miserable out. I ran 18 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/25... put on my high heeled sneakers and headed down the railtrail for a 6 mile run this morning.   Shoes were an old pair of Asics I can't even remember the last time I ran in.    Anyway, an elevated heel made for a much more comfortable run, but the bulky, heavy shoe was tough to get used to...lol     I'm just trying to get in running miles right now, so I'm happy.   Runs like this morning's will let me get in the miles without aggravating my sore heel...

Chantilly... I've nominated you for "Show-Off of the Year Award", your advice to try a shoe with heel lift was just what I needed.    Thanks again!   And yeah, the honey bees were all over my garden earlier this year, but disappeared a while ago.   With pumpkins, there are male and female flowers, but with no bees, they're wasting their time.   It's a simple enough process to fill in for the bees, you just have to know how it's done.    I don't know where the bees went, maybe a bear found their hive...    Training's going great, eh?   18 miles!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Good news about the old heavy shoes.  I have a pair of Grid Hurricanes which are my go-to shoe of last resort for arch pain, toe pain, knee pain caused by lighter low drop shoes.  It is tough running in such heavy shoes, but they help. We grew pumpkins with no problem, but never seemed to be able to get a nice sized watermelon.

40F @ 5AM. Furnace on overnight.

6 mile run on the track.

11 minutes stationary bike

3 mile run.

Sonata Arctica

Rest day for me.  Another overcast day with a nice cool breeze, in the high 50s!! NICE!

NH:  I gave away about 5 pairs of running shoes earlier this summer so no 'old' shoes here.  I still have a brand new pair of Brooks Cascadia (trail shoes) yet to be broken into!! Maybe you should try Hoka's which seem to have more cushion on the heel yet still low heel drop. You can try your insoles in them. Just my 2 cents.  There are so many things you want to try to speed up the 'injury' ........but you can't buy time.  I'm frustrated but really trying to be patient and embrace the fact that I can at least run a HM .........albeit slow but I'm out there.  Am I allowed to feel sorry for myself?   LOL!!

Chantilly:  you are amazing!! 18 miles!!  It's true that it's hard to run in heavy shoes.  I don't really notice it on dirt trails versus road when it can tire you much faster. I wish I had a green thumb.

Art:  You recovered quickly!! so you are training for Oct now? Temps should cool off by 5 degrees by then, right?  LOL!!

Art in AZ

8.4 miles on the canal route this morning. Sunny and warm. Weather is a little cooler, or is that, less hot. Whatever it is it felt better than a couple of weeks ago.

AZ -  I'm not on Facebook either and I see that some races are starting to use Facebook more. My main bike is a mountain bike that I use for both road and dirt roads along the canal here. Got my daughter's road bike to use but it still needs a little more work before I'll use it for long distances. She hasn't used it in a couple of years and left it outside so it needed a complete overhaul. Training for October 29th half now. Looking to do a couple more events before the year is out. Looking at a 15K in Tempe for Maggie's Place and would like to do the Hot Chocolate 15K in Dec.

Rich - Some drivers do that on purpose I think. Makes me wish I had a Klingon Blaster with me. Yes, it's interesting on how 'necessity is the mother of invention'. If the bike makers aren't interested maybe you could start a small cottage industry. Good news that the older Asics help with making the run more comfortable. Now you have a chance to use the shoe again and see if it helps in the long run before deciding to get a new pair of shoes.

Chantilly - The weather sure cooled off there by you quick. Nice 18 miler and combo the next day. Speaking of watermelons, those I planted in the garden have done nothing but grow vines. No fruit. Plan on digging them in to the soil this weekend. Too bad since they look so healthy.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ