50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2017 runs and such (Read 10 times)

Art in AZ

10 miles this morning. Did a solid 7 miles, walked a few while drinking water, ran 1.5 and walked while drinking and then finished 1.5 getting back home. Still hot and dry out.

Dan - Nice run there. Enjoy the trip. Sounds like fun.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning. The usual run around the neighborhood.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Dan - Nice run! The trip sound even nicer!

Art - That 10 miler sounded a little rough, way to get it in.

Chantilly - Still moving...That's good. You did well at your race!

Az - Knee sound like it is much better.  Some nice trail runs in there!

Rich - A little golf? Nice change of pace.

Tuesday DW left for China to vacation with DS2 before coming home next week.  Wasn't feeling it, so took the day off. 10 miles Wednesday and Thursday, 5 on Friday and 10 again today.  Called DS1 on Friday and asked if he wanted to do a race on Saturday, he said 10k would be fine. Thought I better check and turned out DW and I had signed up for the 1/2 already. Sent a quick email to race director and they switch both races to the 10K and transferred DW's to DS1.

Met DS1 at race on Saturday and at the go we were around 9th & 10th. First mile went by at about 7:10 pace and mile 2 around 7:30. We got a couple of runners in those miles and as we hit the first turn around at 2.8 we had moved up to 5th&6th. DS1 took a cup of water and we continued on.  A few of the runners were right there with us, so I tried to maintain close to the 7:30 pace. Just before 4 miles DS1 wasn't feeling too well, so he slowed a bit. Pace dropped to about 7:40/mile but there was no one around me. Hit the next aid station around 5 miles and tried to pick it up a bit, but I found it hard to motivate myself since I could no longer see the runner in front of me.  Around 5.3 miles I took a peak behind and didn't see anyone, so I just tried to encourage myself to go faster.  The race finishes on an uphill and the last section is kind of twisty, but I did my best to sprint it in.  When I caught sight of the clock I could make out the first 2 number and they were 45, but quickly turned to 46, so I tried a little harder and crossed it @46:09.  Finished 5th overall. Got something to drink an slice of orange and headed out to root for the other runners when I see DS1 and a few other runners coming in.  Did the last 50 yards again trying to get him to run faster and he did. His time was 48:19, 9th overall and 2nd in his age group.

Ray

Okay ........did it again   RR is in JUNE .......... Sorry!  And I know it was a 'new month' but I did it anyway ...........geeeezzz!! I'm losing it, I tell you!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  I admire you getting in those runs in that heat.

Did you and your group decide on fall races yet?

rmcj001 Hope your wife had a safe trip. Congratulations on your race and to your son, 2nd AG. Pretty speedy 1st mile, there!

az2mntrail Congratulations on your trail 25 Km. I am glad that you had some competition to push you at the end. you seem like you alll had a good time challenging each other.

NH Runner  Good cross training for you on the golf course, but between golf and watching paint dry....I would watch the paint...

justruundan Good month for you. Nice to see that you and your wife are having nice travels. 

Was off due to work.

2 hours yard work/flower beds today. The new shingles went in over the weekend and they look really good! The neighbours are all complimenting them.

I am hoping to take early retirement this fall and am still looking to drive to Albuquerque in October, but am not sure financially yet.

My next race is the FM on Sept. 10. My 17th year at this race.

Saw the movie Baby Driver on the w/e. It was fun.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Quick easy 3 miles this morning. Not sure what to think but there haven't really been anyone else out the past few days. My start times are pretty much the same so I have to guess people are taking it easy and staying cool. Sounds like a sensible choice!

Ray - Congrats to you and your son on another great finish. Yeah, it's difficult to motivate when there's no one around to challenge you. But seeing the clock sure spurs us on that last distance.

AZ - Saw the report. Nice job finishing a challenging course without any mishaps and good work helping to push the others. That provides a little incentive at the end.

Chantilly - The yard work never ends. Spent a little time working some of the squash plants into the soil prepping for next month. They were still growing but the heat probably kept them from developing. Still have a couple of tomato plants but they are showing signs of the heat now also. Have 4 pepper plants left that aren't doing too bad. With the roof job finished that one less thing to worry about for a while. Deciding when to retire isn't easy. So many things to consider. Good luck with yours.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/1... 6 mile railtrail run

Sunday, 7/2... 9 mile mtn bike trail ride

Sunday, 7/3... 10 mile trail ride on Isabel.   Lots of ATV'ers out over the weekend, locals as well as vacationers who've come up for the long weekend.   They beat the trail to a pulp and that made for a tough ride, but good workout.   My body's telling me, "Take a day off you idiot", so that's on tap for tomorrow...

Art... thanks for starting off the new month.   I got a kick out of everyone in your area disappearing because of the heat, it's the exact opposite up here, they disappear when it gets cold...lol  You're doing really well staying active, but doing it in a sensible way.

ray... you've settled into a nice routine in your training, those days off when you're 'not feeling it' are probably as important as the 10 milers you're cranking out.   Obviously still in great shape, congrats. on 5th overall in the 10K.    You're lookin' good...

az... what a fun race report!   You placed well on a really tough course, inspired others to run better than they thought they could and moved another step closer to where you want to be as a runner.   What injury, eh? lol   You're doing great...

Chantilly... playing golf is like when they say a runner would be better off if they trained for a marathon, but never actually ran one...lol  With golf, it would involve carrying the bag around the course, but never actually stopping to hit a ball...lol   Good luck in your quest to retire early, I'm hoping you can.   And like Art says, yard work is a never ending project, something new almost every day

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Maybe some of the other people are away on vacation? Good to get in your run early. It was around 90F here when I did the 2 hours yard work.  Enjoyed the hot sun, but would not be able to run in it. It must be difficult for you to get your garden plants growing properly.

NH Runner  3 different workouts for you, keeping all the muscle groups in shape. Does someone come by and groom the rail trail in the summer? I can retire at 63 on a reduced pension, but need to figure out just how much "reduced" is.

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles and walked 30 minutes.

Today, 5 mile run and walked 30 minutes.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/5... another 9 holes of golf carrying the bag today, I can't believe they actually charge people money to do this...lol   Feeling frisky after that debacle, I hopped on the mtn bike and rode that for 12 miles on the trail.  Legs liked it...

Chantilly... yes, I'm trying to cover all the bases with different workouts.    The tryke and bike don't give the same results a weightlifter gets from pumping iron, high reps of light weights as in rowing or peddling build some muscle, but not enough to bulk you up.   Same thing with your legs and running.    You're doing pretty well walking and running, you do a nice job of maintaining even when you're not at 100%

Chantilly75

NH Runner You could be a caddy and earn money all summer! I am sure you would do a good job and you would get in a lot of walking for your heel rehab.  Was the rail trail still beat up or did they groom it?

6 mile run

45 minute walk

1 mile run

15 minute walk.

All on the track at 5:30 am.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning.

Rich - good mix of exercises there.

Chantilly - Garden is pretty much done for the next couple of months. Worked some more plants into the soil so they have time to decompose. Getting ready for the Fall planting season. See you gradually increasing your run the past few days.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH:  lugging the golf bag is cross-training and walking is helping the heel situation?  Hope so since golfing isn't really your sport, HA!! But if it gets you 'frisky' for a bike ride, why not?!!  Good job there!

Chantilly:  full day for you on running/walking ........by 5:30 am, WOW!!  So haven't heard much about "Joe Cool" ........still trending on the indoor track?

Art:  some of us that don't know any better are out running ...........but I know what you mean, strange when you don't see as many people outdoors.  Been watching the weather and the wild fires are making the news almost every night.  Stay safe!

Today, the high was 84 degrees!! HOLY BUCKETS!! Mostly sunny but the 15-20 mph wind moved the mugginess around so it wasn't too bad.  Dew point stayed in the 50s/60s, that helped.  I was lazy the last 2 days.  So drove to a different part of the state park, ran just over 2.1 miles on paved trail, ugh!! ran up 4 times on the short gradual dirt hill, felt great!! Then 2.1 miles back. Finished 4.5 miles.  It was HOT but tolerable w/ the cool breeze of the lake.  Legs felt good, took it easy and steady.

NH Runner

Friday, 7/7... 6 mile easy run on the trail this morning.   Found out the hard way that taking NSAID's and trying to work through an injury can be tricky business.   Recall me pushing with the bike through loose footing on the trail a few days ago to get home ahead of an approaching thunderstorm that didn't set well with my heel.   So much so, that I started back up with the NSAID's to knock down the inflammation that set in.   Long story short, 1000 mgs of Aleve had my heel feeling pretty good, had me running 'almost' like the wind in no time.   Until I stopped taking 'em, then the inflammation came roaring back and reality set in, my heel wasn't doing as good as I'd thought.    Anyway, today's run went pretty well, ice, less aggressive heel drops and an easier paced run seem to have me back on track.

Chantilly... I can't imagine being a caddy, I got into an argument with 5 elderly women on the course the other day when they asked if I'd like to 'play through'.   I thought they were being sarcastic when they saw me scrounging around in the woods looking for my ball.   They each had their own golf cart and appeared to be racing before that incident, no manners at all...   I see I'm not the only early riser, nice workout at the gym!   And forgot to mention the state grooms the railtrail once each summer with a miniature grader, something they've already done this year...

art... hang in there with the heat!  3 milers are good!

az... I've been thinking I should toss the golf clubs and fill the bag with rocks, it'd give me a better workout and ammo to fight off aggressive older women racing around on golf carts...lol   And stop being a sissy, 84 degrees isn't THAT bad...

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Nice run on the trail for you in the heat. We have 90F here the next couple of days. The regulars at the track are only sporadically there in the summer, but I saw Joe Cool today, he was wearing a white mesh tank top, black/white Adidas track pants, white/black Adidas shoes and white sunglasses.

NH Runner I am pretty sure that those ladies asked if you wanted to play through, because you are a man and they assume you can golf better than them and they don't want to be in your way.  My husband used to complain about groups who wouldn't let him play through.

Nsaids are hard on the stomach and kidneys. It is not good to run on them, especially in the heat. Hope you didn't hurt the heel.

7 mile run

30 minute walk

1 mile run

15 minute walk

All on the track at 6AM. Back to work tonight.

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Lots of good runs here folks! Great start to July. Chantilly- good workouts on your days not working. Good luck on your decision re: retiring. DW retired at end of this past school year. I'm trying to cut back but won't retire for several more years. AZ- I'll get to that race report on laptop! DWD is today, friend is doing the 50k! She also does iron man races, so... Ray- very good results for you & DS. You are very steady. Art- hard to garden in that heat. You are keeping up with your running despite that, way to go. Rich- hope the heel turns around again soon. On the last leg of the Empire Builder run back to Wisconsin Dells where we boarded last Sunday. Great vacation, Glacier National Park is amazing. DW & I will need to return so we can do more hiking. I did get in one short run Thursday so the week wasn't a total loss. 10 weeks to my HM.

Dan