50 and over 5k and beyond

October 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

NH Runner

Tuesday, 10/13... Off

Wednesday, 10/14... 6 mile railtrail run, pace was mid 9:00's

Thursday, 10/15... no running, but made my appointments with Cardiologist and CT Scan.    Cardiologist went as expected, my heart's fine.   It'll be a few days before I hear back on the CT Scan, so we'll see.

Friday, 10/16... 7 mile railtrail run today, 9 minute pace after first mile warm-up.

Chantilly... yes, the Fall colors have been amazing this year and the railtrail's been a real treat to run on lately.

ray... the fungal infection was just a guess by me, but never verified by my Primary care.    She isn't concerned about why something's showed up on my lungs, only that we have to deal with it, whatever it is...lol    It was flagged as possibly malignant, but could be anything.

Art... your weather cracks me up, we had a frost last night and this Sunday night's low is forecast for 24 degrees.     Our temperature changes more than 110 degrees from the heat of summer to the dead of winter.    I dragged my snow blower outside the other day and did a little maintenance to make sure it's ready for what's coming...lol     I think there's drugs to take care of the fungal infection, but odds are it's now what I've got...

justrundan

Wow, I'm 0 for October on this forum.

Rich- good luck with the CT scan results.

Chantilly- Wow, great mileage lately, and in such wind.  Way to go.

Ray- good luck with your obstacle race, I know you'll do well.

AZ- enjoy your trail runs!

Hit and miss month so far, better than September, but not much.  Work continues to accelerate.  Beginning to think about how I could transition to part time, but that's a few years away.

This morning will be my first sub-freezing run of the fall, you can see why I'm putting it off by posting!    28 this morning, 38 yesterday.  Madison HM is 3 weeks from tomorrow, so I will 'get it done', but we won't be seeing any PR's there.  Well, maybe a PR for that course, since it's my first time at this race...

You all have a good weekend.

Dan

Art in AZ

13 miles this morning getting ready for the half in two weeks. Figure another long run next weekend and then taper before the race. Then worked in the yard picking some weeds and transplanting some cucumber plants. Enjoyed cloudy skies, slight winds and cooler temps because of the storms around the area. Then watched some fireworks by the local church for a festival they were hosting.

Rich - Good news so far from the doc. Nice easy runs there.

Dan - That's cold weather there to run in. At least from my perspective here in Mesa. The goal is to finish. There's nothing wrong with saying you set a PR for this course. Hey, we need to take all the little victories we can.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 10/17... off

Sunday, 10/18... 6 mile railtrail run, high 8:00's after the first mile

Monday, 10/19... off, spent most of the day working on my latest acquisition, a 2 wheeled walk behind tractor from the 1950's

Tuesday, 10/20... 6 mile railtrail run, low 9:00 pace

Still running every other day, not a bad routine for maintaining and dealing with the cold weather...lol    Got the test results back from the doc, Ultra Sound was good, CT Scan revealed multiple nodules in my lungs, all but one a centimeter or smaller in size and Primary Care says they're too small to be a problem.    Looks like I'll be going back in a few months for a follow-up, but things ain't lookin' too bad...lol

Dan... thanks.   We have to take our PR's where we find 'em, eh? lol   It's all about having fun anyway, relax and enjoy!

Art... nice run!   Is the half coming up something you've run before?    Weather permitting, you're set to run a good time, your training's been going really well...

I'm back in northern MN. So returned from AZ/NM/CO Thurs at 7:30 pm to homemade chicken noodle soup that DH made, yummy!  He had been sick all week so he was glad to see me! LOL!!  Had not run since Oct. 11 so ran 4 miles on TM at the gym on Friday, then 13 miles on paved/dirt trails in the state park on Saturday.  And, DH planned a weekend of ballroom dancing lessons on Sat and Sun, whew!!  Not sure if I would call Sun my 'rest day' LOL!!  Took another rest day on Mon.  Ran 6.5 miles yesterday, Wed.  Rest today. Plan to run 3-4 miles tomorrow.  Then driving down to Minneapolis to run the 25K trail race on Saturday, http://surfthemurph.org/

I changed from 50K to 25K instead as I didn't get in the needed long runs while in AZ. Was bummed about it but there will be other 50K runs.  It's pretty chilly here now, about 30s-40s at night and 50s/60s daytime, with cloud cover and some wind.  Just hoping for a clear day with no wind on Saturday.  My trail running buddy and a friend of hers are running the 50K, while another friend is running the 50 miler.

Durango Double race report, Oct 10 and Oct 11:  Both days were ideal in weather and temps! My brother drove me to & from NM to Durango, CO (about 50 min drive) both Sat and Sun.  He volunteered to bike the course and help pick up cones/flags after.  The trail course was pretty technical, lots of rocky areas, rutted and single trac, LONG hills and incredible views!!  Had my GoPro so stopped to take some photos and videos of the course! Around 7 miles was the STEEP LONG incline of the rock slate, that was unreal!!  But I made it to the top and down. From mile 8 to mile 10, the downhill was rocky and nice switchbacks but it was the most fun!!  Another female runner stayed right behind me as we both just flew down the trail, jumping over large rocks and passing other cautious runners.  Mile 10 aid station, I had some bananas and jumped over a small snake!!  Mile 11, I caught up with 4 younger runners who had passed me earlier, passed them on the downhill.  Then it leveled off as it got closer to the finish.  But I fell around mile 12.5 on a soft dirt spot that had a slight 'dip' I didn't see under the shadow of the tree where my eyes didn't make the adjustment from sun to the shadows.  Glad that I slowed to a jog to get a tissue so my 'fall' was not serious but my left calf was taken by surprise and began to cramp!! OH NO!! I got up quickly and stretched it out/massaged it deeply and continued my run.  I bruised my left pinky and ring finger while trying to catch my fall, both swollen but the icing post-run helped. It happens.  Elevation was around 5500 ft. Official time: 2:54:02. I placed 130 out of 223 runners.

The next day was the HM road. Feeling okay. About a mile in, we started to go UP, UP, UP on gradual incline for about a mile!! Level off, then another hill for about 1/2 mile, downhill, then another 1/2 mile up, up, up. The road course was mostly through the college campus so not much traffic and awesome views again because it overlooks the town. Each hill aggravated my left calf and felt like it would cramp anytime so I kept a decent consistent pace.  If I went any faster, I may not finish upright.  About mile 8, we finally get on the paved flat city trail along the creek. Passing other runners.  Heard the announcer at the finish line and sprinted the last 1/4 mile. Official time: 2:11:44.  I placed 107 out of 202 runners.  For the double, I placed 58 out of 101 runners who ran both races.  I think I could have cut my time by 10-15 minutes but overall, I'm satisfied with my time and effort.  It's another check off my bucket list which was to run back to back races. YAY!!

Saturday, 10/17... off

Sunday, 10/18... 6 mile railtrail run, high 8:00's after the first mile

Monday, 10/19... off, spent most of the day working on my latest acquisition, a 2 wheeled walk behind tractor from the 1950's

Tuesday, 10/20... 6 mile railtrail run, low 9:00 pace

Still running every other day, not a bad routine for maintaining and dealing with the cold weather...lol    Got the test results back from the doc, Ultra Sound was good, CT Scan revealed multiple nodules in my lungs, all but one a centimeter or smaller in size and Primary Care says they're too small to be a problem.    Looks like I'll be going back in a few months for a follow-up, but things ain't lookin' too bad...lol

NH:  so glad and relieved to hear about the results.  I'm sure the follow-ups will be good news as well.  You've been getting some good time runs!  Northern MN is gearing up for the cold temps too.  BRRRR!! Can't believe it's here already!!

Art in AZ

8 mile run this morning in cool, cloudy weather. It finally feels like fall. Run felt good but for some reason with about a half mile to go I had a burst of energy. Don't know where it came from but I picked up the pace. Now if that happens during the race I'll be happy. Last long run this Saturday before the race next weekend.

Rich - A two-wheeled walk behind tractor. I'll have to look that up. Hard to imagine a two-wheel tractor. Sounds like part of it is missing.

The race on Halloween morning is the inaugural event. This company puts on a lot of events in Utah. I think if they have a good turnout and reviews it might become an annual event. We'll see. I'm hoping for a good run. I just haven't been feeling it lately. But this mornings run was good.

AZ - Congrats on the Double results. Sounds like you had a good time. Hope all your bruises heal before the run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

NHRich - Sounds like some good news!  Good to hear it isn't serious.  Some nice runs for you.  Gotta feel good and such a relief!

Art - Sounds like you're pretty much ready for next weekend.  Tape week is usually one of the best.  Cooler weather usually brings with it better performance.  Hopefully, next week will be cooler too!

Az - Back to Back half marathons!  Awesome job!  Just don't catch what DH has! Rule #1 - get to the start line healthy...

Friday was travel day, but snuck a 4.5 mile treadmill run in.

Saturday, 10.5 miles on obstacle course in Las Vegas (report to follow - well, hopefully)

Sunday, 7.3 mile TM run.

Monday, 9.2 mile easy run.

Tuesday, 9.6 mile tempo run (last 5.6 miles well under 8mpm)

Wednesday, 9.7 mile recovery run.

Ray

justrundan

AZ- those are great times, esp Day 2!  Good luck keeping at it in the cooler weather.  this is pretty ideal running weather, nice to have that before it really gets cold.

Ray- YES, we want to hear about the obstacle race!

Rich- glad to hear the good news. Run free!

slow week for running here, but hope to get in 9-10 miles tomorrow or Saturday morning.

Dan

NH Runner

Tuesday, 10/20... maintaining the same routine, basically running 6 milers on the railtrail every other day.   Effort is reseasonbly hard, but not going crazy.

Wednesday, 10/21... off

Thursday, 10/22... 6 mile railtrail run

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm not out of the woods yet, but feeling pretty good about my chances... lol

az... wow!    Your fitness level ain't too shabby, you have to be proud of running back to back tough races.   Really impressed with how tough you are!

Art... here's a video of a walk behind tractor in action...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQuxUsZWz8 .     Mine's got a plow for plowing snow and I'm trying to get it up and running before the snow flies...lol   Good luck in your Halloween race!

Ray... it looks like you're covering about 70 miles a week lately, really nice training!     Obstacle course?!   Can't wait to hear how that went! lol

Dan... our temps are similar to what you're dealing with.    One day, it's bundle up against the wind and cold, the next, it's shorts and a T...lol   Pretty much the calm before the storms...lol

justrundan

Rich- that tractor does a nice job!  That one does a great job for the garden.  How large a garden do you plan for next year? 

What attachments do you have besides the snow plow?   You're right about the calm before the storm.  Although 'they say' that it's supposed to be warmer and drier this winter.  we will see if 'they' are right.

Colors here are past peak, but still beautiful.  More yellows and dark red/orange/brown.

9.3 this morning, windy with sl rain.  no problem keeping warm.  Got to see the sun rise (through the clouds) about half way through.

Some yard and garden work now, then to the clinic to do some 'day off' work. 

DW & I plan to go out for fish fry tonight, typical WI Friday night dinner.

You all have great weekends!

Dan

Art in AZ

Nothing special this morning. Just a 3 mile run to be moving. Felt alright running with what feels like a cold coming on. Headache, running nose and a slight sore throat. Surprisingly I felt better after the run. Plan on last long run tomorrow, Saturday, before the race next weekend. Then easing down during the week.

Ray - you're racking up the miles before your event. Looking to hear how you and son did at the mud run. My son decided to do the Spartan Sprint here in Feb. So far he's excited about it and has started training.

Dan - I remember driving up through Wisconsin during the fall when I lived there. Miss the scenery here sometimes. Haven't had time to drive North here and the colors.

Rich - OK. The video helped. Though in my mind that is a big rototiller. That will certainly help with working the dirt for the garden and will be one heck of a plow when you need it. Of course if you ever get tired of it you could take the motor and install it in your trike.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

12 mile run this morning instead of yesterday. Body just wasn't in the mood for anything yesterday so it turned into a rest day.

Then spent some time in the garden. Have to get some new strawberry plants. The hot weather did the last bunch in, Started a few things in seed to transplant later. I'm sure the hot weather we have had is gone till next year.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

NHRich - Hadn't hit 70 miles in awhile, got to 65 couple of weeks ago.  Mostly been hitting mid 50's.  But, just so you wouldn't be wrong, did 72.4 this week.  Every other day seems to be working for you.  Staying healthy should be the priority.  Keep it up!

Dan - The 9 miler sounded sweet.  I'm not an early morning runner, so I rarely see a sunrise, sounds wonderful.  Mud run report is coming.

Art - You got the run in!  Some days, things just don't work out - rest days and mental days are needed and we should never feel guilty when we take them.

Fletch - Two weeks to go!  Relish the taper!

I started writing up a race report and didn't like how it was turning out and was having a difficult time remembering all the obstacles.  Also, it was already too long and had barely started on the course.  So, it's coming, but I'll need to rewrite it and probably do it in a couple of messages.  And I found a map with the list of the 20 obstacles, but I swear the order doesn't match my memory...

Thursday, 8.1 progressive miles on the TM.  Some how the day got away from me and so late in the evening I opted for the treadmill.

Friday, 10.3 tempo miles in the early evening at work.  Little cooler and decided late in the run to put a little more effort into it.

Saturday, 11.3 long miles.  Had an early morning event and night hike, so had to cut this run shorter then I wanted.

Sunday, 14.6 long miles - home to dish run complete with hills.  This should have been Saturday's run, but ran out of time.  72.4 miles Monday - Sunday, no weekly record for me.  All the hard work is done and time to taper.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 10/24... 6 mile railtrail run, pace was mid to high 8's low 9's.

Sunday, 10/25...  all I had time for was a 4 miler and ran the railtrail again because the dern wind just keeps blowing around here...    Pace was almost identical to Saturday's.

Dan.... you're familiar with David Bradleys, eh?     Mine came with tire chains, wheel weights, snow plow, cultivator and garden plow.     I'd like to find a harrow for it, but don't know if that's possible, people collect them these days and parts can be hard to find.    Mine also needs a complete re-build from setting out in the weather for so long, but I'm almost ready for a trial run, just waiting on tubes for the new tires and new discs for the clutch.

I've got too many trees for a big garden, but have family members who could fit a big garden into their lawn if they could be talked into it...

Yeah, they say an El Nino year is supposed to produce a milder winter, but we'll see. lol

Art... here's a link to my tractor's owners manual... http://amigatec.net/files/David_Bradley/tractors/57561.pdf  I think these tractors pre-date today's rototiller and you'll see from the manual, came with all sorts of attachments.   My tractor's about 65 years old, but the design's so simple, it's still in great mechanical shape.    A few generations ago, these old tractors were feeding a lot of people.

Ray... what a build up to your next marathon, you're in shape to nail another one!    And yeah I'm just rolling along these days, not getting carried away, but fine tuning running form and maintaining fitness.    Any time I can run 8:30's on the railtrail like I've been doing lately, I'm doing ok...