50 and over 5k and beyond

July - Too hot to trot (Read 11 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, Altair, consecutive 10 mile runs is pretty tough. I haven't tried that in a long time.  Good job gettin' 'er done!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - I'm not doing as much this year, but last year at this time I was increasing my weekly mileage by 5 miles each week and got up to a 70 mile week! I don't have your speed, but can run slow and efficiently for long distances.  I would run Monday through Friday with weekends off and for a few weeks my short run was 10.4 miles. I've shared this here before, but here is a graph of my daily runs.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Hi everyone!! Returned to northern AZ home today, have a meeting in about 45 minutes.  DH only has ONE more day of work and he'll be officially retired!! WOOHOO!! We walked about 1.5 miles around the housing area last night, nice and cool and quiet.  Both of my calves and right knee (the chronic knee issue) have been aching since Monday and it aggravated the achilles.  Been massaging and foam rolling.  The walk helped but I hoped it wouldn't put a dent in my morning run.  I think it was from the Altra shoes I wore on Sunday recovery run because they are zero drop shoes although I did put in a heel insole that probably lifts it to about 4 mm, still too low enough to aggravate my achilles.  I wore the Altra because I wanted cushion for the blisters (from Sat run) which did help but achilles complained. ugh! The knee ache was from NOT wearing the knee support (on Sat 14 miler, goofball) that I usually wear especially on long runs. I didn't even notice it until around 3.5 miles, duh!! Aging sucks! 

Mon and Tues:  REST days.

Today:  finished 4.2 miles this morning on mostly technical dirt trail with a couple of decent short gradual hills (near our AZ work home), was waiting for some cloud cover but it was blazing sun with absolutely no breeze so didn't get the 8 miler I wanted.  Good run though with some 40 seconds fartleks the last couple of miles.

Altair:  I always enjoy your photos. Good job with the long runs in the heat and humidity. I remember those days from MN. I usually get in a recovery run the day after long runs or races along with some stretching, yoga just to loosen up the stiffness and get the circulation working on decreasing muscle cramping and lactic acid. I believe it's one of the reasons why I'm usually not as sore as I thought I would be. $50 for that same t-shirt online?!? It does stand out with all the colors!

Led:  that is one INCREDIBLE photo of the Rocky Mt race.  I lived/worked in Denver for a number of years and I've run a few and/or volunteered at 10ks, HM road races. But I've mainly ran dirt trail races in the mountains though, most of them in the southwestern area.

Oh dear, gotta go, meeting is coming up!! Talk with you all in AUGUST!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Altair - That's an impressive mileage buildup. Takes a lot of diligence and determination to get to that level!

az2mntrail - Sorry about your blisters and your achilles and your knee. One problem leads to another and another and another!  Hope you get them all subdued. Challenges of the mature folks.

I should say I can't take credit for that Colo. Marathon picture. I just got it off their Facebook page. The year I ran it it was snowing at the start. It wasn't enough to create any problem, but was enough to make it really pretty at the start. This picture I did take, as we were waiting for the start. Smile

The course takes you down Poudre Canyon road. Here I am after the bottom of the canyon, at mile 17 (wearing orange).

But I keep veering off into the past.  My current runs are going pretty well, though they are pretty mundane. Yesterday was my intervals day, and I expect to feel it the day after, but this morning was actually pretty good.  Now, if I could only manage 8 hours of sleep per night, my training would be nearly perfect. So, onward to August. Moving on to the next thread.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Led:  I had to look up "MoPac" trail ...........it's in Nebraska .........and your name made more sense, duh!!   DH went to U of NE, Lincoln. And I'm very familiar with the area as I drive through parts of it, mostly central/western area, when I make my trip from AZ to MN and back. I usually stay around Valentine/North Platte. The rolling grassy hills are beautiful.  That's a good run in that heat.  Humidity is all relative, right? LOL!! To be honest, I hope I never run a 'rails-to-trails' race again ........ not my fave. The crushed gravel is like running on road, too painful for my poor feet. But to each, his own. It's nice to run into running friends, hard not to stop and chat.  How old is your running companion? How far does he like to run?  name? Our dog died about 4 yrs ago (after about 15 years) but he was never a running buddy.  All excited to get out when he saw me lacing up but after a quarter of a mile, he just turned back and run home! Crazy dog! He was just too scared around other dogs but LOVED being petted!

Oops, how did I miss this post?  So you tracked me down. Glad you're familiar with my digs, as well as western NE.  If you haven't yet done so, you really need to head partway east to the Kearney - Grand Island area to catch the sandhill crane migration.  That is an incredible experience. And, sometime from the Valentine area, go canoeing or tubing down the Niobrara river. Fun times!

I get it - running on a flat surface is boring. Painful, no, I don't see it that way. I actually don't get how you're tough enough to do all the technical running you do, but I sure admire you for it.

My companion. Sage, the one on the right, is a real sweetheart. Couldn't ask for a better dog. She wants to do everything right, and she expects others (especially other dogs) to be as well-behaved as she is. We go for about a mile each weekday, and go out somewhere more exciting for two miles on weekends.

The boy on the left is Ash, her brother, and our daughter's dog. He's a big, bumbling, happy-go-lucky oaf, and we love him equally, but differently.