50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

Chantilly75

justrundan have a good day off

gito57 nice distance on the track

NH Runner can you ski in the snowmobile trails? or are they using your rail trail?

Brick workout similar to other Monday mornings. Went back later with family for a total running distance of 7 miles. Windchill in the -30's now...balmy...

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 1/ 06... today was a day off for me, rained most of the day, so I took the opportunity to rehab my achilles.   Heel drops, contrast baths and foam rolling.   No pain the last few days, but achilles injuries are tough to get rid of, so no celebrating just yet...

Chantilly... the railtrail is part of the trail system used by the local snowmobile club.   It's great that they groom the trail, but sharing it with them can be downright dangerous...lol  Some of 'em like to go FAST!!! lol

adkkev... if a xc skier falls in the forest and no-one's there to hear him, does he make a sound? lol

justrundan

So many patients cancelled due to the cold today that I got out of the office and to the treadmill by 4:45-unheard of.   There was an ER nurse there pounding out at about a 6:40 pace.  My slow pace was very noticeable!    She is training for Boston in April!  In my dreams.   got in 5 miles before heading out to go home, tried to help someone get there car started in the cold, to no avail.  -15, feels like -34 right now.  Schools cancelled today and tomorrow around here.

Stay safe friends!

Dan

Just gorgeous here in northern AZ ........except when the wind picks up!  If it isn't nailed down, it'll be in NM!

Saturday flight went without a hitch.  I only got about 4 hours sleep, with 30 minutes on the flight, spent the rest watching a movie on my laptop.  Minneapolis to PHX flight had me in the midst of a 'senior community' .......a lively bunch!!  I was the 'youngest' at 53, they were very open about their maturity, LOL!!  Most of them having bloody marys  and wishing everyone a very happy new year!!  Got home around 2 pm, most of the snow had melted, temps in the 40s, and the snow-topped San Francisco Peaks always a beautiful view.  Decided to call it a rest day, too tired, stopped for groceries and wood pellets.

Sunday:  8 wonderful miles on the lowest elevation, least hilly trail I could run on; took walk breaks when I came across very icy, muddy, slushy patches. Temps in the high 30s, wind around 8 mph. I was surprised that I ran well without gasping for air.  I did take it easy though.

Today:  6 miles on a different trail, the flattest one around and most popular but I wanted to run at least 1 mile intervals. Last mile was my cool off run when I met up with a very dear friend/artist who walks this regularly (many walkers out today).  It was great to chat and catch up.  More runners showing up when I left around 3 pm.  Temp was around 35 degrees, wind 10 mph.  But it was SUNNY!! 

Glad everyone is keeping safe and running healthy!

adkev:  gorgeous day for XC skiing!! Pics are cool, thanks for sharing!

Chantilly:  BRRRR!! awesome mileage!

Dan:  WOW!!  piling on the mileage!!

Rich:  I'm listening to my Achilles when I run on these trails after running on flat terrain in MN.  You are doing well in training smart and giving those Achilles the rest they need to recover.

NC:  WOOHOO!!  Hang in there!  I take walk breaks in all my runs/races, it has improved my overall performance.  Celebrate every milestone, no matter the distance, WAY TO GO!!

gito57:  glad you're doing good!

adkkev

5.77 on the dreadmill at the Y.  Beats fighting the cold wind & watching out for the ice on the streets around town!  Smile

Rich:  the object is to not fall down!! 

It was 50 degrees and sprinkling when I got to the office this morning ... hard to believe that it was subzero on Saturday.  And now the wind is howling & it's supposed to around zero by morning.  This has been one wild winter so far.

rmcj001

You've all been running great!  And facing soo much cold weather!

Friday did a 7.2 in 1 hour, followed by 5 miles of walking hills on Saturday.  Sunday was complete rest day (well, my annual movie marathon, starts at midnight and finishes at midnight).  Today another 7.2 in 1 hour.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday highs were right at 70F!  So darn warm and dry for this time of year.  Today was probably only 67F 

Stay warm everyone!

Ray

Fletch

Ray - nice miles.  I like the movie marathon, too.

Adkkev - good work on the treadmill.  And I agree...this weather is freaky.

Az - Glad to hear the trip went well.  I'll bet it was nice for you to run in some milder temps!

Dan - Nice...avoided the cold, got in a workout, and still made it home early!

Rich - Nice ski work.  Hope the achilles is better soon.

Chantilly - Nice Monday workout.  Stay warm.

Debra - Nice track work.  Stay warm.

Rest day Monday for me.  Just a short walk with the wife and the dogs.  Dropped to 9 degrees here last night...no big deal for most of you, but for us here in the Carolina's...THAT'S COLD!  High today will be around 25.  Hoping to get a short run in between work and a late meeting.  Stay warm...and safe.

Art in AZ

AZ - Glad that your flight got out and you are home again.

adkkev - What a temp swing!

Sunday was a rest day, sort of. Spent the day doing some yard work and tending the garden. Made a salad with lettuce, green pepper, radishes, beets, carrots and cherry tomatoes. Whatever was ready went in the bowl. Living in Mesa, Arizona this time of year does have some benefits.

Today was going to run but decided to more yard work because I have jury duty tomorrow. So ended up mixing concrete for a wall footer and moving some of the cement block for the wall nearby. Good arm and chest exercise.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

1/07... 3 treadmill miles for me today.  Running with just thin socks on my feet, I concentrated on running with bent knees and a quick cadence to keep pressure off my achilles.

Dan... I've noticed locally a good number of people in the medical community are runners.   One of the guys in our Tuesday running group is a doctor and 3 other doctors from his office also run.   There's also a huge contingent from Dartmouth Hitchcock who run the half marathon I'm running in June.    Nice run in the treadmill, BTW!

Az...excellent trail runs, enjoy!

adkkev... I can't believe you wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity to cross train by picking yourself up out of the snow hobbled by a set of skis strapped to your feet...

Ray... you had me worried there, but I see you're back firing on all cylinders again.  Good stuff!

Fletch & Art... days off are always good...

Chantilly... nice workout & run!

Chantilly75

justrundan  do you watch TV on the TM?  They are handy for trying to hold a pace.

az2mntrail  sounds like you're having fun!

adkkev some big temp. change you had there. Some years here are colder than others, but it all evens out in the end.

rmcj001 Nice hill work....and weather!

Fletch_NC  what kind of dogs do you have?  Would they run with you?

Art in AZ  good arm exercise.

NH Runner achilles seems to be coming along..

5 miles on the track. Hard to get going. I hate running after lunch! Want to have a nap instead...

Sonata Arctica

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly-You got 'r done!  Aren't you glad you did?

Rich-Nice TM run, do whatever works to baby your achilles.

Art-Salad straight from the garden sounds wonderful.  Hope jury duty goes well.  I served for a week in November -- lots of sitting and waiting.

Fletch-The Polar Vortex (sounds like a sci-fi movie) is reaching pretty far south!

Ray-Great to read someone is enjoying warm weather!  Movie marathon, cool!  Any particular genre?

adkkev-"one wild winter" - absolutely!

AZ-Fun flight!  Enjoy visiting friends and running your fav trails.

Dan-Great to get the 5 TM miles in early.  Nice of you to try to help with the car.  Jumper cables came in very handy the last couple of days!

Woke up with a colossal head cold yesterday morning - argh!  Took yesterday and today as rest days. Watched movies and made chicken cacciatore with DS2.  He had an additional 2 days of holiday break due to the temps and windchill.  It was a bit warmer, 0 F today, and should be in the 30's by the weekend.  Woo- hoo!

Run strong friends

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

6 miles on the dreadmill @ the Y this evening.

3 degrees here, -11 with the wind chill.  At my son's house in Fairbanks, AK, it's 9 degrees, no wind chill.

I have one co-worker who has become a runner ... she finished her first marathon back in October (& did a very nice job too @ 4:31) ... she focuses more on bootcamp style workouts & so the running is just a bonus activity for her.  She actually prefers the challenge runs like Warrior Dash & the like.  Pretty much everyone else in the office avoids exercise like the plague.

rmcj001

Rich - I was probably the only one who wasn't worried. Glad to hear the achilles is doing better and good to see you're being careful this time.

Fletch - Rest days can be good, just don't make them a habit

Art - Salad sounds good.  Wish I could eat lettuce...

Chantilly - I think you are the most consistent, way to get it done!

Debra - watch the headaches, sometimes they're more...Movies were "Princess Bride", "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", "The Perfect Game", "Blackhawk Down", "Vision Quest", "The Magnificent Seven", "Twister" and "Tremors" (49ers vs Packers in the middle somewhere).

adkkev - Some cold weather there, dreadmills are only slight torture...

Dan - don't think I'd want to cross that nurse...good job getting the run in.

Az - sounds like you might be enjoying AZ just a little too much...

7.5 miles today, overcast so not quite as hot.  I tried to do a sorta "Gump" run today - didn't look at the watch until 6.5 miles in to the run, was a bit surprised by how fast it went.  Probably walked a mile after the run (usual cool down).  Got the fitbit to count the steps and usually get a extra 2k walking back to the office.  Had a fitbit for just over 2 years now and should cross the 10 million step mark Saturday or Sunday.

Ray

Chantilly75

gito57 hope you feel better.  Love chicken cacciatore!

adkkev isn't that different, to have Alaska warmer than your place?

rmcj001 10 million steps sounds like a lot. That's just for walking?

14 miles on the track in 2 hrs. 27 min. so was moving along at a fairly good pace. Neuroma doesn't bother me unless I wear the "wrong" shoes.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 1/08... 6 mile run on the railtrail.  I started out with Yaktrax, but shed 'em after the first 1/4 mile and just ran with trainers.   The trail was frozen solid, but it was snow and not ice, so the footing was rough, but not slippery.

adkkev... nice treadmill run

Gito... love Chicken Cacciatore, it's one of those heart healthy meals

Ray... you're running really well lately!

Chantilly...you too, awesome 14 miler!

I encountered one of these on the railtrail today, a first!  About 10 dogs...