50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

NH Runner

Saturday, 1/11... it's raining in NH today, so I did another 3 mile session on the treadmill.   I'm working on cadence and running with a light step, so these workouts go by pretty fast.

Gito... your indoor track sounds really nice.   And I understand the reality of a woman running alone, too bad you can't find a running partner, running outside is one of life's great pleasures, but not if you're uncomfortable.

Ray... 3 excellent runs, 7 miles in 56:20 REALLY stands out.   Wow!

Dan... good luck with your weather and travel plans.   We were getting freezing rain this morning, but's warmed enough so it's just rain now.

Yesterday was the official start of my latest weight loss program.  Somehow... I managed to gain a few pounds over the holidays, now it's time to pay the Piper.   A pound or two a week would be nice, but we'll see.

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC I think I read somewhere that a majority of people are over-pronators. A runner should do some foot strengthening exercises and balancing exercises, like standing on one foot.  This keeps the ankle and foot stronger and able to adapt when running outside where there are uneven surfaces. I used to run in shoes with more support, but as I got more experience, then I was able to run with a lighter shoe. Also, some weight training for the legs and knees is beneficial for older runners.  We lose a lot of muscle strength after age 40.

gito57 unfortunately, girls need to think about personal safety more than guys.  I always run where there are houses, so I can knock on the door for help. Have had some issues over the years with creeps in vehicles.

justrundan I like the Ghost for a switch-up. Had 2 pairs of the 5's. Right foot didn't like the arch or I would have worn them more. Are the Ghost 7's much different?

azmntrail windy and sneezing might not necessarily be allergies, could just be some dryness.  You could try a bit of steam in a pot and breathe it in with a towel over your head for 5 minutes.  Good for sinus trouble, too.

I signed up for a spring marathon, but need something amazing and crazy to do later on this year because I turn 60. I have some ideas.

6 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Chantilly- the Ghost 6 & 7 were fairly similar, nice cushioning.  I should try to pick up another pair on sale, my current ones are at about 400 miles and need to rotate in anew pair.

Last year when I turned 60 I ran a HM with my son, on my birthday.  That was fun; not too crazy, but fun.

Roads clear today so we got to DS and DIL home and spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out a June vacation-Alaska cruise.  Way toomany decisions, not enough ways toget to Vancouver! 

Dan

adkkev

Roads clear today so we got to DS and DIL home and spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out a June vacation-Alaska cruise.  Way too many decisions, not enough ways to get to Vancouver! 

Dan: we took a Holland America Alaskan cruise a few years ago out of Vancouver ... Vancouver to Juneau to Skagway to Ketchikan & back to Vancouver.  Went up Misty Arm on the way to Juneau, also hit Glacier Bay after Skagway.  We just went walking around in Juneau & discovered some really neat places that most cruisers seemed to miss.  We did take a ship-organized shore excursion in Skagway, heading up to the Yukon for some horseback riding & canoeing.  In Ketchikan we went on a non-ship sponsored sea kayak adventure that was shortened due to some nasty weather (they refunded nearly 100% of our cost) but was fun nonetheless.  Food on the ship wasn't anything spectacular.  I ran on the treadmill up in the "gym" & it was a bizzillion degrees in there but the view was pretty awesome.  I had already been to Skagway but my wife had not (my son & I had hiked the Chilkoot Trail back in 2005) ... we took the cruise with my sister & some of her friends ... it was a way for us to see a part of Alaska that we might not have gotten to see otherwise.  We have seen much of the rest of the state and have some real favorites, almost too many favorites!

Vancouver was pretty cool too, wish we could have spent more time there.

We flew from out east to Calgary, rented a car, drove up thru Banff & stayed in Jasper a few days, hiking ... then we drove to Vancouver.  When we returned to Vancouver we spent a night there before heading back east.

I realize that a cruise is often the only way that some folks can get up to see some of Alaska, and that's fine.  But I will say that if you ever get the chance to fly up to Anchorage, rent a car and then explore at your own pace, you won't regret it.  Ever.

I'll end by saying that we're very fortunate to have a son that lives up there, so that makes it "easier" to justify our multiple trips up there over the past 15 years.  (In 2012 my son & I participated in the Equinox Marathon on a 3 person relay team ... we finished 46th out of 144 teams ... that was quite an experience!!)

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!

I rested Thursday, ran 6.3 miles on Friday!! yay!! DH drove in from PHX Friday night where he had business all week.

We left for NM on Saturday morning to visit my folks and family, about a 5 hr drive one way but the route we take is scenic, the stillness soothes my being.  I love coming 'home' (four corners of the SW), it nurtures my soul and sustains me while I'm away.

Have a 16 yr old niece who needs school stuff so we took her shopping. We do this each year.  We were her legal guardians for 9 years (she was 5 yrs old) before she wanted to return to her mom (my sister) who also wanted her back.  LONG story.  Her mom is unemployed (sporadic) so tough times but we (and family) do what we can.  They will always have a tough life, sad to say.  You all know how that goes, I'm sure.

Temps are glorious in the 50s, sunny days.

No running, but lots of walking ..............in the mall, ugh!!  LOL!!

Mom (78) and Dad (79) are doing well, in good spirits.  Great to hug them and catch up on/with family.

Driving back to AZ this afternoon.

azmntrail windy and sneezing might not necessarily be allergies, could just be some dryness.  You could try a bit of steam in a pot and breathe it in with a towel over your head for 5 minutes.  Good for sinus trouble, too.

I signed up for a spring marathon, but need something amazing and crazy to do later on this year because I turn 60. I have some ideas.

6 miles.

Chantilly:  I agree, thanks for the suggestion.  The dryness does get to me and with the elevation here in northern AZ, I'm prone to nosebleeds until a couple of years ago when I finally had it taken care of.  I wear gloves a lot (habit from riding Harley, LOL!) but mainly to keeps hands from getting too dry and aging WAY before their time.  I hope to run another marathon this year too .........not sure where but I would love to run a trail marathon .........been thinking of the Wild Women Trail marathon and relay in July in Trout Lake, WA.  Sounds like a hoot!!

adkkev

6 miles on the treadmill @ the Y.  Forecasted sunshine has not arrived but snow flurries have.

justrundan

Chantilly- I misspoke (?miswrote?); it was the Ghost 5&6 that I've had, currently using the 6.  I like both.

adkkev- we finished the planning (and purchasing ) of the cruise and flights today, lots more time on line and on the phone.  We'll fly from WI  to Vancouver, take trip north to Anchorage and fly home from Anchorage the following Saturday.  It will be a first for us, vacationing with the adult children and spouses.  DD & DS are not always on the best of terms, so...

When we have the day at the stops along the way I'm hoping we can do a lot of walking around the town and exploring.  Should be fun.  Can't wait to see the beauty of Alaska.

AZ- so great you could visit your parents and help out your niece so much!!  The older I get the more I appreciate family and spending time with them.   That Wild Women trail marathon sounds like a hoot, and HARD!

Rest days Fri/Sat due to weather and travel. We got home this afternoon in time to enjoy a 5 miler on the roads near our home.  Got it in just before dark.

Have a great week folks.

Dan

Art in AZ

Everyone is getting in some good running and seems to be in good health and no bad effects for the frigid weather some experienced.

5 miles Saturday and then started laying block for a small wall by the house and then did some more garden work.

Today was just block work. These are the 8" x 8" x 16" block so it makes for good upper body exercises. Lots of walking and bending up and down. Almost finished but it was time to start dinner.

Rich - I'm sure more than a few of us are in the category of gaining a few pounds during the holidays.

Chantilly - Amazing and crazy. Can't wait to hear what you decide.

AZ - I can tell you feel good about being back in Northern Arizona. In this cool dry weather I wear gloves when I run in the morning mainly to keep them warm. But sometimes I'll have lotion on. .It does get real dry around here sometimes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Crazy Diamond

Art-You always have some interesting cross-training to add to your running!

Dan-Sounds like a beautiful trip.  Sibling rivalry -- not sure we ever out-grow it!

adkkev-loved reading about your AK adventures.  Predicted sunshine heading your way, showed up late here on the Great Lakes, but it was so welcome!

AZ-Your visit sounds great!  We have a lot in common concerning sisters.

Chantilly-Looking forward to reading about the "amazing & crazy" ideas to celebrate your 60th!

Rich-Who doesn't put on a few #s with all the goodies during the holidays.  I'm sure it'll all be gone in no time!

Yesterday, ran 3 easy miles outside on the neighborhood roads.  After our "big chill", 34 degrees was downright balmy.  Ran 12 miles at the indoor this morning,  Had planned to run outside, but the sidewalks and bike trail iced up over night.  Lots of fellow running club members at the track today, makes it fun to catch up while we're going round and round.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Sunday, 1/12... 4 mile road run this morning.  I wanted more, but there were too many icy patches and I ended up walking to keep from falling a number of times.  Still, the pace was low 9:00's, so a good run.   Also celebrated my granddaughter's birthday with cake and ice cream, so one day off from watching what I eat before getting back at it tomorrow...lol

Chantilly...can't wait to hear what's planned for the big 60 celebration.  I had that celebration a few years ago, but darned if I can remember what I did...lol

az... what I'd give to be able to hug my parents again.   Nice run Thursday and good on you for taking your niece school shopping, your kindness is something she'll always remember.

adkkev... I think you're starting to bond with the treadmill, nice run!

dan... nice to get a 5 miler with all the running around, good for you!

Art... nice run Saturday!  Your "block" would be tough on the back...lol

gito... you're on a roll!  12 at the track is awesome!

Chantilly75

azmntrail  Yay...Harley riding!   Haven't been on a bike for years....jealous...

justrundan should be nice up north in June. I have heard the cruises are very scenic.

adkkev that must have been fun to be in the Equinox with your son.

Art in AZ more cross training with those blocks.

gito57 the track IS more bearable when others are there...

NH Runner gotta watch the icy patches...could pull a (healing) achilles there....

Worked Sat.  Ran 6 miles Sunday.

9 miles today on the track.

looking at www.mainlymarathons.com

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Dan: what's your itinerary for your Alaskan cruise?  Ports of call?  Where do end up?  Whittier?  Seward?  (cruises don't go to Anchorage itself as that would add another day or so of sailing - most cruise lines go to either Whittier or Seward and then bus you to Anchorage)

If Seward is your final port of call, then your bus trip to Anchorage will be a really nice scenic ride.

June will be nice as the days will be nice & long.  It's drier in June as well (August is a relatively rainier month).

adkkev

5 miles @ the Y this evening (4.5 on the treadmill, .5 on the indoor track).

rmcj001

adkkev - Don't know if I'll ever make to Alaska (it is on my want to go there list), but if I do I'll know who to ask.  Nice DM run.

Dan - Trip sounds like fun.  My sons are very dissimilar and frequently don't get along.  I know among my siblings (4 sisters, 5 brothers) there are some that get along and others that don't - and it can change under different settings.  Glad you were able to get a run in.

Az - It's good you can still visit your parents.  When I was much younger we tried to help one of my younger brothers, didn't work out.  It's good to hear that your relationship with your niece is a good one.  I like the running you've been doing.  If the "Hanson brothers" are correct you've got a couple of more days to get in beneficial work before your race on the 25th - Keep it up!

Art - Nice cross training with the bricks!  The runs weren't bad either...

Debra - 12 miles on the track!  Chantilly and you, my hats off - the only thing worse then a treadmill, to me, is a track!

Chantilly - Ahh, I guess socializing would make the track more bearable, still the mileage you do on it is impressive.

Rich - cake and ice cream sounds good.  Sounds like you had a good run given the conditions!

Saturday was a rest day.  Sunday, mid 60's and lots of sun, nice 7.1 on hills (100 floors so a thousand feet of up and down) in 61:18.  Mid 60's again today with lots of sun (and probably for the next 2 weeks) 7.2 in 62:29.  Just finished reading "The Sports Gene".  Seems clearer why my younger brother is faster at a 5K and slower in the 10K (body type).  And I should target hot weather races (my body type should be much better then average at heat dissipation).   Times won't be as fast for any distance, but my placement compared to others my age should improve.  Did I mentioned I moved up to another age group?

Ray