50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

Fletch

Ray - Did we miss a birthday?  If so, Happy one to you!  "The Sports Gene" sounds interesting. I may have to check that one out.  Nice work on the hills.

Adkkev - Alaska's on our "wanna go" list as well, but DW is not a fan of cruises.  If we ever do make the trip, it will be by air/car.  Hope the weather's improving for you, but in the meantime, good work on the TM.

Chantilly - As always, impressive workouts!

Rich - Nice work in some slippery conditions.  And I can relate to the cake and ice cream with the granddaughter.  Our granddaughter (2 yrs old) calls DW "cookie" because whenever she visits, DW plops her up on the kitchen counter to help make chocolate chip cookies. So when the little one comes in with plate, saying "Pa, want a cookie?" how can I resist?

Debra - Glad the weather allowed some outdoor work.  Nice run on the track, too.

Art - You're the king of creative crosstraining!

Dan - Sounds like a great trip you have planned, and a good one you just returned from.  Glad you made it back safe and sound...and in time for a run!

Az - Nice run Friday.  And kudo's to you for being there for your niece.

Thanks for all the feedback on the shoes.  I am hoping to make it to the running store for a fitting soon.  And may still visit an orthopaedic clinic here that works with local high school sports teams.  And I am intrigued by the minimalist movement.  Looking into that as well.

In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away with what I have...3.5 miles around town Saturday.  Planned to do more, but we were under a Tornado Watch.  Wasn't too bad when I started out, but about 2.5 miles into the run, it got really dark and windy.  Funny, that last mile back to the house was the fastest pace I've hit yet!  Luckily, no tornado, but I did make it back just before a pretty intense thunderstorm rolled through.  2 mile trail hike with DW and the dogs on Sunday.  3.25 miles through the neighborhoods on Monday, 10:04 pace.

NH Runner

Monday ended up being a day off for me, driving my nephew home after surgery at the local VA hospital...

Tuesday, 1/14... 5 miles on the ol' treadmill today.   I make running on the thing less tedious by experimenting with form and watching the heart rate monitor.   I can't see where any changes I do lighten the load on my heart, but it keeps me busy.   Did check my heart's recovery rate though, in 2 minutes it went from 144 BPM to 104, for whatever that's worth.   And the scale says I'm down 2 pounds, we'll see if that holds up...

Turns out a heart that recovers 40 beats in 2 minutes is good... http://www.livestrong.com/article/203833-the-acceptable-recovery-for-a-heart-rate-level-five-minutes-after-exercising/ Looks like it's a good idea to check it at 5 minutes also, be sure to scroll down.

Chantilly... awesome last 2 days!

adkkev... another nice treadmill run

Ray... your fitness level is thru the roof!

Fletch... as you can see, there's a lot to consider when choosing a running shoe.   You're on the right path though, doing the reseach to educate yourself.   I've had thunderstorms chase me home as well, puts a little "urgency" in our step, doesn't it? lol  As far as running, keep up the good work!

Crazy Diamond

Rich-So nice to help your nephew.  Good info on recovery heart rate.

Fletch-Good running, buddy!  Do you get a lot of lightening in your area?  Be safe out there.

Ray-Belated Happy Birthday! The guys in your new AG better dial it up!  Your running is always so impressive.

adkkev-Great to have both track and TM available.

Chantilly-The 60th B-day marathon race series looks amazing.  Have fun choosing!

5 miles and 5 striders at the indoor track.  Planks and Thera-bands at home.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

rmcj001 hope you do well in the new AG!

Fletch_NC  Is that unusual to have a tornado watch at this time of year?

NH Runner I think you had a good heart rate recovery in the 2 minutes.....heart rate monitor watching is interesting, but I'm not sure I ever learned much from it. 150-160 BPM is my 5 Km pace, and I can't run any harder than that, even though I should be able to.

gito57  nice track runs.  Easier to do speed work there.

4 miles run plus 1 mile walked.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Ray- moving up to the 60-64 group at my 9/22 HM helped me some, but I don't have your speed!  You'll do great!

Debra- you and that track are becoming one!  Glad you've got that to go to.

Chantilly- way to keep at it!

Fletch- way to keep at it!

Rich- I'll have to check out my heart rate recovery, sounds interesting.

3.8 on TM at hospital this morning.  Tomorrow morning looks like I'll be on the garden tractor moving snow before work.  Lots of snow and more blowing tonight.  Maybe TM after work, we will see.  Hard to find time to get in more than 4-5 miles except on weekend.

Dan

adkkev

5.25 t-mill miles, .75 miles on the indoor track.

Today had to be one of the gloomiest days ever ... at mid day it still looked fairly dark outside my office window.  Low thick clouds & rain.  Yuck.

rmcj001

Fletch - You didn't miss a thing, but I did turn 55.  Don't know if you've read "Born to Run", but it's what got me running again...Like that you're staying active on the non-running days!  keep it up.

Rich - The article was interesting.  Don't know quite how fast my heart rate drops after a run, but I do know I'm finding it harder and harder to get it over 150 bpm.

Debra - Thanks!  Around here there are lots of really good older runners, but I'm still improving -so, maybe I'll be able to catch up to some of them.  Nice run and cross training.

Chantilly - Back at ya!  Was that a recovery run today?

Dan - It's all about morbidity compression.  Want to be able to do those long hikes in the mountains for awhile. Wouldn't mind being able to play some basketball either...

adkkev - Perfect TM weather?  Nice to have the TM when you need it.

It was warm today 73-75F and just a gorgeous day!  We've got all kinds of  red flag  fire warnings in the Bay area.  Plants are already blooming and ticks are still present.  We got just a bit of drizzle over the weekend and they don't think we'll get anything 'til the end of the month.  They're already talking about declaring droughts and the state is getting ready to.  Looks like the record highs will be sticking around until Saturday.  7.2 miles today, 58:43

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 1/15... 7 road miles today.  Felt pretty good on the way out, zipping along without a care in the world.  Then I turned around at 3.5 miles straight into a headwind.    The wind's out of the South and bringing warm air with it, (it was 42 degrees today) but it reminded me how out of shape I really am... lol

gito... nice workout!  Striders are a great way to introduce speedwork into your routine and something I REALLY need to start doing.   Good for you!

Chantilly... I don't train with a heart rate monitor, it's an accessory on the treadmill I use more as a curiousity and distraction than anything.   Nice walk & run...

dan... good luck with the snow removal project.  I just moved into a new age group as well, not sure hitting 65 should be cause for celebration, but maybe there's an age group placing somewhere in my future...lol

adkkev... another solid treadmill run.   Gloomy weather's what kept me indoors yesterday as well

Ray... I've got a brother-in-law who lives in Redding and he's talked about your dry conditions.   Hopefully there's some rain in your future.   Another solid run for you as well...

Chantilly75

rmcj001 I hope you get some moisture..you don't need drought conditions.

justrundan hope you don't get too much more blowing snow.

NH Runner If we can just live long enough, we could get those AG podium finishes.  

Winter doldrums made it difficult to get out the door, but felt better after running for 40 minutes, so finished up with10 miles run plus 1 mile walk on the track.

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Rich - nice 7 miles on the road.

Ray - thanks for the additional book recommendation.  That one looks interesting too.  I went on McDougall's website...particularly interesting page about the barefoot running debate. I'm more and more intrigued by this minimalist movement.

adkkev - good work on the treadmill.  Hope the weather brightens up for you soon.

Dan - good on the TM.  Hope the snow clearing went well.

Chantilly & Debra - nice workouts.  As for our weather, it's rare to have thunderstorms and tornadoes in the winter, but not unheard of. The one Saturday was not too bad for lightening, but the winds gusted to 40-50 mph.  With the ground saturated from recent rains, it did cause some downed trees in the neighborhood.

Had a very pleasurable Gump Run this morning.  Started out just before daybreak. Got so engrossed in the beautiful sunrise, and the simple joy of running, that I took an unplanned turn, and ended up further away than I had planned.  But then I thought, "hey, it's a Gump Run...just keep going."  So I did.  Took a few short walk breaks, but for the most part, kept skipping along at a comfortable pace until I made my way back home.  Checked my distance when I finished...6.4 miles!  A hop and a skip for most of you, but, as you know from my posts, that's pretty far for me.  Still had some flare-ups with the knee pain, but on the bright side, it didn't seem to be any worse at 6 miles than it is at 3 or 4.  And I do have an appointment tomorrow with a sports-focused orthaepedic doc. We'll see what he says, and go from there.

Stay safe, everyone.

Hi fellow runners!!  Took Sat and Sun off, we returned to northern AZ late Sunday night from NM.

Mon:  6 miles.  Ran 2 connecting trails with an avg. elevation around 7500 ft., whew!!  Temps in the high 40s, sunny but breezy in the open areas.  About 4 large patches of ice, snow and slippery mud so made those my 'walk breaks.' 

Tues:  5.1 miles.  Ran on the same trail as my first day.  Around 20-30 mph winds ......  trees weren't serving well as windbreakers, temps in the low 40s, hazy day, did a couple of speed workouts.  Headwind made it difficult to breathe and throat getting drier with runny nose again so stopped short of planned 6 miles.

Wed (today):  8.6 miles.  Ran on the flattest, most popular trail around here; avg. elevation is about 7,000 ft, beautiful day, sunny, about 8 mph wind.  Ran this for endurance, it was a tough run after 6 miles but I made it up the one hill on this trail by sheer determination, .  I wanted to run more to get 9 miles but gotta take it 'easy' .......... hoping to run 9-10 miles Fri and/or Sat.

Rest day tomorrow.  Taking DH to PHX airport, he's returning to MN .........weather doesn't look great in MN........like that's a surprise,  .   Winter storm moving through N. Dakota is predicted to hit northern MN. DH is anticipating a delay out of Minneapolis, so glad I'm not traveling!  

Dan:  DH and I have been to Alaska by air/rental car, drove out to Seward and to the last town (Homer?) that the guy in the book, "Into the Wild," was last seen.  We stayed in a cabin and drove back the next day, visiting a colleague on our way back to Anchorage.  This was early May, and long daylight days.  I love AK and was hoping to move there instead of MN .......for at least 2 yrs.  The vertical sheerness of the mountains are just incredible!

adkev:  TM workouts are becoming darn impressive!!

Rich:  I am one of those 'people' who prefers chocolate; I relate to the slogan: "give me the chocolate or the teddy bear gets it!"   Happy days to the GD, those grandbabies' birthdays are worth celebrating!!

Ray:  great mileage on consecutive days!!  WOW!! Those are heat wave temps there!!  Gosh, I hope you have some moisture soon, those CA fires are awful to hear about.

Chantilly:  I can't wait to hear how/what/where you're gonna celebrate 60!!  I love my birthdays that I celebrate the WHOLE MONTH!!  I rode one of my Harleys from AZ to MN when we moved!! I rode my Harley this morning before my run, just to re-connect, poor baby, been neglected.

Fletch:  your Gump Run is wonderful to hear about; that's what 'running' should be about, enjoyment and no pressure, KEEP IT UP!!

Art:  It is such a good feeling to be outdoors in "winter" .......... I am 'overdosing' on it so it can keep me motivated when I'm back in MN  

Deb:  Hey, awesome track run, those are ideal for speed work; glad weather allows for some outdoor running too.

adkkev

6.5 miles on the treadmill + .5 miles on the indoor track = 7 miles for the evening.  Wish they'd turn down the heat in that gym, be a lot more comfortable for running, etc.

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC  Forrest would like your gump run! .... "I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road and when I got there, I  thought maybe I'd run to the end of town"....

As far as pain goes, I figure if the pain goes away while running or is better the next day, it is probably not something to worry about.  Change the shoes, change the surface that you're running on, get stronger by lifting weights, run longer and slower, try yoga or pilates... all these things can be tried. But I am not a sports doctor, only a little old lady.

az2mntrail  that's some elevation you're doing!

I am looking at the FANS24 race in the Twin Cities June 7. I like the 24 hour format and need MN for one of my states. Also could stop in at The Mall of America. Haven't been there for years.

9 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 1/16... cross training day for me, light waterproof boots, Yaktrax and walking sticks.   4 mile Nordic Walk on the railtrail, splits were 14:20, 14:19, 14:17 and 14:09.   Slippery conditions, but the Yaktrax worked great...

Chantilly... you're logging some awesome miles, but 10 miles in 40 minutes?  Little Old Lady my foot...

Same way with you Az, what a roll you're on lately!

Fletch... 6.4!  you gotta be proud of that one, WTG!

adkkev... you're wearing the treadmill out!

Chantilly75

NH Runner I said I felt better after 40 minutes, not that I only took 40 minutes to run 10 miles.......

Sonata Arctica