50 and over 5k and beyond

January runs & workouts (Read 20 times)

adkkev

Saturday - 4.5 miles on the treadmill & indoor track @ the Y.

Nice running everyone!!!

Fletch

Dan - nice walk with DW! Those are the fun ones.

Debra - yes, DW's surgery went well, thanks. Nice "inside-outside" work.

Chantilly - How many states do you have so far?

AZ - 13.2! Nice run!

Adkkev - more nice treadmill work.  Hope the weather breaks soon.

Spent the day with DW Saturday.  The running store is a little more than an hour from here, so we combined that trip with a visit to one of her favorite malls and lunch at an old standby restaurant there.  No running for me, unless you count the few laps around the parking lot trying out shoes.

Met some very helpful folks at the running store.  Video gait analysis showed normal pronation, so they recommended a neutral shoe.  Tried several different ones.  Went with the Saucony Ride 6.  Took them out for a spin this evening - 3.7 miles around town.  They feel very good.  Ankle did not bother me at all, and the knee only a little.

NH Runner

Monday, 1/20... 7 miles on the highway today, a 3.5 mile out & back.  I had a helping wind on the way out and ran 9:01, 8:47, 8:41 and 8:43, then ran 9:07 and 9:16 before walk / jogging the last mile in 11:23.

Hey!  The gito ran a 10 miler, nice run!

adkkev... you're Steady Eddy on that treadmill & indoor track, WTG!

Fletch... good deal on the new shoes and nice first run in them...

Chantilly75

3 rest/work days.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Sunny dry days with 50 degree weather here in northern AZ.

Sun:  6.2 miles.

Today - Mon:  10.1 miles, yippee!

A lot of hikers, mtn bikers on the trails these two days, most of them from 'the valley': Phoenix.  I really think they should wear shoes instead of slip ons/flip flops though.

Fletch:  I'm 'neutral' as well.  I love my Brooks Cascadia for trail running but been looking for road shoes.  I tried on the Saucony Ride 6 and will probably get those when I wear out my 'other' road shoes. I like the cushioning on the forefront much better than a couple of the other 'neutral' road shoes I tried on.  That's a good sign when your feet/ankle/knee feels better.  Shoes are the best investment you can make for running.  Glad DW is recovering well.  I must have missed that post.

justrundan

Fletch- my previous pair was Saucony Ride 4, now using Brooks Ghost 6, very similar.  If I could find  a deal on the Ghost 6 I would snatch it up, but can't find them discounted yet.  Getting close to 500 mi on this pair, and they are holding up nicely.   Might go back to Saucony if I can find a discount.  Glad they are working for you.

Wow, AZ, those are nice running temps.  I hope you're not check weather at your 'other home'! 

Rich- great pace on the road run!

5 miles tonight on TM at work, looks like I'll be there most of this week.  Hoping for something outdoors on the weekend, but...

Dan

adkkev

6.75 miles on the treadmill (again) ... the wind & cold temps have made it here ... gonna be a chilly week!!

Spent the day visiting various bathroom showrooms as we are planning on having our bathroom gutted & redone sometime later this year - we're a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices for EVERYTHING.  And our bathroom is relatively small compared to many!  (our house was built in 1922 and has only one bathroom)

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC hope you continue to do well in your new shoes.

I have run a full marathon in 4 states.

NH Runner pretty good paces for the winter.  The highway area is fairly clear, then?

az2mntrail how can they hike a trail in flip-flops?  I've been up those mesas/buttes in AZ.  They are pretty steep. You must get a good workout on those trails.

justrundan Nice TM run. Also waiting for a deal on the Ghost 6.  I read that the arch support isn't supposed to be as noticeable as in the 5's, so thought I could use them for a switch-out or just for walking.

adkkev agree there are too many choices now in home decor.....hope you find something!

gito57 indoor and outdoor runs...cool...

I just run and walk 2 or 3 times a day to train for a 24 hour race. Like run for 15 minutes, walk for 5 minutes, keep repeating until I can only walk.  I have worked night shift for 40 years, so have no problem staying awake and walking in the night.

Got a pair of Adidas Adios2 on sale. They are a little stiff, very light, minimal support, but they come up too far on the left instep and rub. Changed the insole, re-laced the shoe and they seem to be better. Right foot is ok with them. Will gradually increase distance.

4 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 1/21... 11 degrees outside, so I bundled up and went skiing, 4 miles on the railtrail...

I notice a lot of people don't mention their pace on here and hope you don't mind that I do.    It's just part of the discussion with me and an indication where I'm at fitness wise.   Pace is irrelavent anyway, my effort to run a 25 minute 5K is probably just as hard as the people up front running 10 minutes quicker.   It's the effort that counts and we're all probably working just as hard no matter what the pace...

Az... I like your weather, trade ya...  Nice run!

dan and adkkev... wearing out their treadmills... Spring's just around the corner guys.

Chantilly... the highway's got a nice wide breakdown lane where I run, but 2 young women have lost their lives on that highway in the last year and a half just the same.   One was a biker run over from behind by a young man who fell asleep at the wheel, the second, a walker out with a couple of friends who made the mistake of walking with their backs to traffic.  An 18 year old girl distracted by her phone caused her death.  I NEVER run with my back to traffic on that highway!

rmcj001

Rich - I don't mind the paces.  Have to keep a mental note of where you are at, tho.  They do give me a feel for how well you're doing 

Az - Both of my boys have done halfdome in flip-flops.  Oldest as done it twice barefoot.

Dan & adkkev - nice tm work.

Fletch - hope you have fun breaking in the shoes!

Chantilly -  24 hours?!  Stamina!

It is still Sunny and warm out here.  Friday 10 miles in 83:30 - last two miles were slightly uphill and into the wind and took some effort to maintain pace.  Saturday and Sunday were rest days, so walked.  Monday 5.2 mile progressive run in 42:00, first mile was 8:30 and last .2 was at a 7:10mpm pace.  Today ran with workmates, 5 miles in 48 minutes.

Ray

Slightly windy and much cooler temps with partly cloudy sky.  A good day to rest; legs and ankles are most thankful I'm sure, .

DH filling me in on the polar vortex weather in northern MN while I walked around the house with no jacket, .

Rich:  I'm really 'wishing' the sunny warm days go your way!!  It's funny how quickly one gets 'acclimated' to the warmer temps vs frigid temps; everyone in the NE area, stay warm and safe!

Chantilly:  HAHA!!  "......walking in the night."  Thought it was funny .......my imagination getting away from me.  I'm excited to hear about your training and RR for the RANS24 event.  I want to get an early start on ways to celebrate turning 55 (two yrs from now). I would love to run a trail race abroad .......New Zealand comes to mind ......I keep mentioning it to DH but his eyes start to glaze over.

Art in AZ

I see everyone has been doing well. Weather here has been good for running but have to work it in when I can get out.

Got a couple of runs in last week before helping daughter and family move to a new house Saturday. All day Saturday. Did I mention it was a tri-level? With most of the heavy stuff going to the 2nd and 3rd level. Why did the treadmill and other exercise device have to be on the 2nd level instead of the garage like the other house? We all have been there. I did get a good leg workout that day.

Should get a few days of running in before Saturday. Have to take 2 of the grandsons to their football game in the morning. Then after that it's off the "Sneak-peek" of the news Cubs Spring training facility for local residents. So we'll be walking around a lot experiencing all the things to do.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Fletch

3.1 miles around town today in 29:23.  Wanted to test myself for a sub 30 minute 5k.  Now I know I can do it...back to the gump runs for a while.

Rain here in the Carolinas this evening, turning to snow tonight.  Expecting somewhere between a dusting and 2 inches.  Schools are on a 2 hour delay tomorrow (altogether now...HAHAHAHAHA). We really don't deal with winter weather very well around here.

Everybody stay warm, stay safe, and keep running!

justrundan

AZ said .......New Zealand comes to mind ......I keep mentioning it to DH but his eyes start to glaze over.

LOL!!     I can picture it myself!  Although a trip to NZ this time of year would be very nice!  Then you could be AZ2MN2NZ.

chantilly- 24 hours- that's a long time to be on your feet!  You really want good shoes for that.  Do you switch out after 8-12 hours to a different pair?

Rich- I don't usually post pace because my TM paces seem so much worse than when I run outside; either that, or I'm regressing! 

I agree on running on the road.  When I see people walking/running with traffic I want to stop and scold them!  Really people! It can be bad enough going against traffic when you can see what they are doing.  Way too many distracted drivers these days.

Art- enjoy that grandson time!  I agree on moving into a tri-level!  who thought that was a good idea. 

Fletch-  once again, nice time on that 3.1; you are coming along just fine!

uber slow 3.5 miles on TM after work again.  So far I'm staying ahead of the 'pace bunny' on my training log.

Stay warm and safe in the cold and snow!

Dan

adkkev

5.6 on the treadmill @ the Y again.  Polar vortex like temps have made it here now ... and the snowstorm affecting the east coast is missing us by 100 miles or so.  It is currently 20 degrees warmer in Fairbanks, AK, right now than it is here in upstate NY.  And will be that way all week.

AZ - my son and his family (the Alaskans) have been to New Zealand, about 4 yrs ago or so.  They really liked it there, altho it was a long flight to get there!  (Alaska to Hawaii to NZ).

I've been doing my treadmill runs in Altra Torrins ... they have about 350 miles on them so far (road & treadmill) so they probably won't last too much longer.  I will probably get another Altra shoe, although I'm not sure which one.  It may be their new model (Olympus?) for road running.  I've done my trail running in both Montrail Masochists II and Hoka Mafates ... my 50k was run in the Hokas.  I like the Hokas but I'd like to try one of their other models next as I've heard the Mafate is not one of their best efforts.