50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs and Workouts (Read 19 times)

rmcj001

NHRich - Don't know how easy or hard to replace the sprocket on that back wheel, but should be able to.  Adding in the shifter and cable should be a piece of cake compared to the rear sprocket.

Debra - Nice run, your training is going well.  Forgot to mention that on our hike we passed a few commercial  brussel sprout farms, the leader of the hike mentioned that 80% of sprouts are grown from Santa Cruz to Pacifica here on the coast.  Don't know if that's an indication of how few sprouts we eat, or the climate that is required for a farm to be successful...

Chantilly - I guess we all have to do what we can given the conditions we encounter.  I admire your consistency and grit.

Az - Your conditions sound as bad as mine are good - we need to average it out.  Way to get the runs in.  I used you as my inspiration to get my long run in this Sunday.  Only a couple of weeks left to get any benefit for the marathon - need to get the work in.  Do you have yaktraxs for snow and ice?

MKay - Gotta love technology.  Gotta hate it.

Ended up sleeping 9-10 hours Sunday night.  Had a couple of tests to get in the morning, so was late to work and couldn't  do my normal lunch run.  Ended up doing 6.2 recovery miles on TM at 10:30pm.  Naturally it took awhile to get to bed and fall asleep.  This getting old thing sucks...

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 11/11... ran the recovery run today that I should have run yesterday with Sim, between the hard runs this past weekend and trike ride yesterday, I was sore today.   Anyway, 4 miles easy on the railtrail, hopefully I'll be back up to speed tomorrow...

gito... mental health facility, eh?    When I first started running I used to worry that people would think I was an escapee from the local nursing home...    Nice workout!

az... do you ever get confused about what to wear at a certain temperature?   Seems like I have to re-learn that lesson every year.    You did great to get your workout in, nice!

Ray... I was eyeing a bike the other day with everything I need to make a hand cart with shifters.   It would involve making another cart from scratch, so the idea's on hold for a while, but it'd make a fun project.

mKayc... your phone got even with you for dropping it...

az2mntrail Glad for you being back out on the trail.

Did you ever run The Lost Dutchman marathon?  Such a great medal and looks like a good course. But the time of year doesn't really work for me.

Chantilly:  I ran the HM twice, a few years apart before moving to MN.  The 2nd time, I was going to run the FM but had knee issue and just getting over the flu, it was awful.   Almost puked a couple of times but still finished in decent time.  I really don't care for the HM route, it's an out and back.  I prefer routes that I don't have to repeat.  It's mostly gravel road, some dirt and paved portions with good inclines (I didn't think it was 'hilly' like others say).  Great overall event.  Good traffic control and bus shuttle from parking lot. Energizing runners and spectators.  The desert view is gorgeous at sun-up!!  Don't remember much of the aid stations (had my own).  The bling is awesome!!  Bummer you can't run it but keep it on the back burner

Az - Your conditions sound as bad as mine are good - we need to average it out.  Way to get the runs in.  I used you as my inspiration to get my long run in this Sunday.  Only a couple of weeks left to get any benefit for the marathon - need to get the work in.  Do you have yaktraxs for snow and ice?

Ended up sleeping 9-10 hours Sunday night.  Had a couple of tests to get in the morning, so was late to work and couldn't  do my normal lunch run.  Ended up doing 6.2 recovery miles on TM at 10:30pm.  Naturally it took awhile to get to bed and fall asleep.  This getting old thing sucks...

Ray:  I have yet to try them for running in snow and on icy roads.  My 'trail' shoes seem to work well if I stay in fresh snow for traction.  I keep thinking I need to buy a pair of yaktraxs to try out but so far, so good ......thus, no need (knock on wood).  18.5 miles is awesome!! WTG!! I hope to get in another long run sometime this week.  10:30pm?!? Too much adrenaline there!!  The 'getting old' certainly 'sucks' ........although, this year, I am trying to 'embrace' the sleep hours I have been getting. It's quite a change for me and a delight to sleep 7-8 hours, and 9-10 hrs of sleep sounds glorious!! LOL!!  Your body most certainly must have needed that. Sleep is necessary though, for recovery.  You're gonna blaze through the FM, I know! 

Crazy Diamond

AZ~You made the best of the crummy weather situation!  Alternating the track/treadmill/bike was a brilliant move.

Mary Kay~Hope all is well with you.  Luckily the snow didn't stick here.  Not yet, any way!

Ray~Way to get in those miles!  9 -10 hours of sleep???  Does marathon training require that?  I decided to put sprouts in  the garden back when DS2 was obsessed with Dr. Seuss.  They reminded me of the trees in his books.

NH Runner~Nice 4 miles with Sim, the wonder dog!

Whether you've served across the ocean or state side, during conflict or peace time - THANK YOU to all the veterans!

Ran an 8 mile fartlek at the indoor track.  High winds and cold, pouring rain - yuck!  Later, took my favorite veteran out for lunch and a movie.

Quo Vadis?

rmcj001

Debra - No, sleep not required...I was just dead tired after that long run.  It frequently happens, we start watching TV and I'm out - this was just much earlier then usual.  Normal sleep is 7-8 hours.  Your HM/10k training is going well - nice!

Az - I've never tried the yaktraxs - we don't get snow  by the bay.  Hoping to get one more 18 miler in this Sunday and then I think it is taper time.  Hard to believe December is almost here already...

NHRich - Hand trike 2.0?  Pretty soon you'll be able to go into business selling them!

Tuesday, 8.3 miles in 661/2 minutes.  First 2 miles were a bit slow, but made up for it in the last three.

Wednesday, 9 recovery miles in 81 minutes.  They're predicting rain for tonight and tomorrow morning.  Crossing fingers and toes...

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/12... 5 mile road run today, out and back through the covered bridge.   It's taking me longer to recover from a tough run than it used to, my legs are still sore from this past weekend.    If anyone's got any tricks they use to recover, I'd love to hear them.    I'm hoping it's because I'm still not in shape after the long lay-off, but it's getting late to be still using that excuse...

I had my granddaughter film me on the trike today, but the file was too big to send through an e-mail and even though she shrunk it down a lot, it still wouldn't go.   You can hear her giggling as she films her "not quite normal" grandfather, it's shame I can't share it, she's got quite a giggle...

gito... thanks from a Vet.   You're knocking out these training runs one right after another, your training's going really well...

Ray... the trike project is more for fun and the challenge of making an idea come to life than any thought of making more than one.   I'm pretty sure there will be a hand trike 2.0 though, just for the fun of it...   Nice mileage as usual and good luck with the rain!

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Great running the last 2 days. Keep it up as you move on to Taper-ville!  Hope it was a nice, long, soaking rain.  Thanks about my training.  I was a bit apprehensive about running 6 days each week, but so far it has gone well.

NH Runner~The sound of children giggling is wonderful!   As far as recovery tips, usually end every run with no less than a .5 walk to cool down.  No matter how tired I am after a run, I do a complete foam roll sequence. Top it off with a glass of Ovaltine.  Thank you, I'm very grateful the transition to this training plan has gone very smooth.

Ran 7 miles at the indoor track tonight.  Running in the evening has it's challenges after a long day on my feet at work.  I try not to think about it too much, just get out on the track and start moving.  Speed walking club on the track this evening. They are always fascinating to watch, as they whiz by me!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Some nice runs there for your training.  Good thoughts sent for your tests. Hope the rain comes through for your city.

NH Runner A little soreness is ok... I was wearing a race shirt today that says "pain is temporary."  I want to add a line underneath "not at my age it isn't.  Any snow for Sim to experience?

gito57  Yeah, those speed walkers really move! I have 2 of them who show up from time to time. It is a bit harder to run in the evening, when you want to wind down at the end of the day.

az2mntrail Good for you to run on the track. I know it is hard for a trail runner to run indoors. My group always complains when they have to come inside.

10 miles on the track....Lots of seniors there. "Joe cool " was wearing a red ski hat, sunglasses and a red/white tracksuit today on his walk.

Just enough snow to sweep off the sidewalks and path, not enough to shovel the driveway.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 11/13... 6 mile railtrail run today.   Pace was easy at first, but got quicker as I warmed up.    40 degrees with a slight breeze, but no snow yet.   Splits looked like this...10:38, 9:59, 9:44, 9:41, 9:21 and 9:17.

gito... I do some of what you do after a run, but don't use a foam roller.    I was pressed for time today so didn't get the chance, but will make it a point to try it tomorrow.     Age probably has something to do with what I'm dealing with as is the form change I'm still working on.   One of the things I'm also mindful of is getting enough vitamin D, those of us living in the Northern part of the country just don't get enough sun exposure and our bodies need vitamin D for many things, including Calcium absorption.    I watched speed walkers during the last summer Olympics and was amazed at how fast those people go, the ones up front doing 6 minute miles!

Chantilly... things do change as we age, eh? lol   We're forecast for a dusting of snow tonight and it'll be the first of the year if it holds up.    Joe Cool sounds like a funny guy, I wonder if it's part of Male Menopause...    Nice workout today!

Chantilly75

NH Runner You've got some left in the tank when you can speed up like that for the last 3 miles.

Re: Joe Cool: There are many people at the track whom I notice every winter. We all wave to each other, but don't really talk together. There are many cliques and then there are the singles, like me. My older lady friend moved away to live near her sister, so I don't have anyone to run with now.

6 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 11/14... left the running shoes home and rode the hand trike 4 miles on the railtrail today.    I can feel it working my back, shoulders and arms, so it's a good way to cross train.    I kept track of my time as a way to see if I'm getting stronger, today's splits were 12:57, 11:24, 11:47 and 12:11.    Places where the dirt is soft really gets your attention... lol

gito's suggestion to foam roll after a workout worked great, I did it later in the evening and ran into more hotspots than I could count.    I didn't get rid of 'em all, but the work I did made my legs feel a lot better.    Thanks gito!

Chantilly... yes, I'm getting stronger as a runner.   I'm focused on building miles and not worried much about speed just yet.   I just want to run, so I'm being careful not to do anything stupid that'll get me hurt...lol    The trouble finding a training partner is in finding someone who trains at the same pace.    The Tuesday group here is a good example, they're there mostly for a social hour and just want to plod along and gossip.   A guy like me who's looking for a workout just doesn't fit in.   Maybe you'll get lucky and find another partner to train with, eh?    Nice run...

rmcj001

NHRich - No secrets on recovery, just know as we age it takes longer.  Get plenty of sleep and stay active even if you're not running.  I've found that a good sports massage is helpful (in addition to sticks and foam rolling), but probably the biggest aide is to be in good shape   Seems like the better shape you're in the sooner you recover...sort of a catch-22 and we know there are no shortcuts to getting into better shape.

Debra - Rain was brief  Just enough to mess up the morning commute - but, better then nothing.  Like that you running more consistently these days.  It will pay off!

Chantilly - That's right, you've got weather!  Still, I'd rather do TM and watch the boobe-tube then run the track.  Hope you can find someone to run the track with, having company on a run can make it more interesting.

Thursday, did a quick 8.8 miles in just over 72 minutes.

Friday, 11 mile tempo run.  Ran 5.5-7 with Monty, a 60+ runner getting ready for the Big Sur Half.  Caught up with him and he decided to speed up and stick with me.  I think we cranked out nearly 2 miles at just of 8mpm - I think he's sandbagging when he said he hoped to finish in under 2 hours...

On another note, NYTimes had multiple articles about "age" related falls. One takeaway was that for every day spent bed bound we lose 1% of our strength.  I remember being surprise when MIL broke her hip and after the operation they had her walking just hours after the operation - now I know why.

Run strong everyone and stay active.

Ray

Hope everyone had a great Friday!!

So, ran 10.1 miles on Monday, another 10.2 miles on Wed, weather was pretty bad on Thursday with snow all day and freezing cold!!

Today, the sun finally made its appearance!! YAY!! Temps around 15 degrees, feels 0 with 10mph wind!! Tried to run again around neighborhood road but very icy, slick and just didn't want to take 'forever' to finish a LONG run.  So after a mile, went home, changed and drove to university gym.  Ran on track and TM, taking turns every 4 miles instead this time.  Pretty tough and not fast or pretty but finished 18.6 miles!!  Afternoons are set aside for the university track and field team practice so I watch them from the TM.  Getting to know the coaches who are very encouraging as we are getting to know each other.  One of them is a die-hard dirt trail runner too so he has empathy for my running indoors. LOL!!  Dinner with DH made for a great Friday!!

So Ray, getting your last long run of 18 miles this Sunday?? Your FM is a week earlier than mine.  You're running WAY WAY more than I am so I know you're gonna have an incredible finish time!  I'm gonna do the best I can.  I hope to do better in Grandma's marathon in June (if I get in).  I will register when I finish my DEC. FM.  I've been to Sacramento once and stayed about 3 days so I have some idea of the race route.

Chantilly:  "Joe Cool" keeps things interesting on the track for sure, LOL!!  That has to be a kick, and the curiosity of what he will wear keeps you going there, haha!! I understand having some 'clique' with other runners but for the most part, I'm like you in being more of a solitary runner.  Yeah, the frigid temps will be my complaints but I hope to remember how HOT and HUMID the summers were, and keep those complaints to a minimum this winter!!

Deb:  You are running more consistent.  Any race event coming up?

NH:  Great workout on the tryke!!  Speed will come as you run more.  Smart that you aren't rushing it.  Recovery is critical as part of healing and getting back to running shape.  Takes alot of patience but you are doing awesome!!

Dan:  hope all is well.  You must be busy. Our weather has moved to your area, it's bitter cold!! Stay warm!!