50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs and Workouts (Read 19 times)

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~My indoor track is populated by many solitary runners and  training groups, but no "Joe Cool"!

NH Runner~ You're welcome!  Blocking out time to get in foam rolling and stretching is worth it.  Glad it helped.

Ray~Falling is a big concern for me.  A couple of injuries from skiing and hiking falls that I would prefer not to "awaken".  Nice run w/ Monty.

AZ~Yes! Way to persevere and get the 18.6 miles done!   It's tough at first, but running at the indoor track will get better. Since some of my trail runs are so imbedded in my mind, I try to envision where I would be on the trail at certain distances while running the track.  I'm training for indoor HM in January and 6 10k races from October to March.

Thursday - 6 easy miles at the indoor track.  Very busy due to the cold temperatures and wind.

Friday - URD. Major traffic problems kept me from my 8 miles at the indoor track this evening.  Like many cities, huge road construction projects going on. Question - When they plan these huge multi-year projects, WHY do they work on all the alternate routes, too???   Hopefully, I can get in the 8 miles after work tomorrow.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

sluggo

John

Well, I gotta say, it seems like you are all putting in great miles without major issues. I find it intimidating.

Last night was the 1st time since the 7th that I had a good chance for putting in a run. It was a little cold and I really did not want to go out. However, I did succeed in putting on my shoes and starting a run. My knee immediately flared up and I stopped after 100 feet for a *REALLY* short run.

I did go to the basement ti use out stationary bike for about 45 minutes - listened to a Radio Lab podcast. Radio Lab was great. Biking is a bore.

I will try again today.

Keep running all.

John
      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

NH Runner

Saturday, 11/15... 8 mile railtrail run today, windy and 34 degrees.    Foam rolling yesterday set me up for a better run today, considering the soft dirt and rough footing, very happy with today's run.   Miles 3 and 4 drop a 100 feet, so turning back at mile 4, the challenge is to run miles 5 and 6 at least as fast and missed it by 2 seconds... lol  10:25, 9:42, 9:30, 9:24, 9:35, 9:21, 9:03 and 8:51.

ray... totally agree with fitness level and recovery time.   It makes sense the better the shape we're in, the easier we bounce back.    I think our body's willingness to give up fitness / strength is the most frustrating part of getting hurt.    As runners, we bust our butts to get in shape and our bodies act like all those months of hard work were no big deal at all...lol    Excellent runs, and you're right, Monty's sandbagging...lol

az... you're gettin' it done!   Especially can't believe the 18.6 miles, congrats!

gito... you're so strong right now, a missed run isn't a big deal.   I understand the frustration, but you're doing great!   Hang in there...

Sluggo... Rome wasn't built in a day, hopefully you can get past this knee problem soon.   Can you throw in a few jog sessions during a walk?    If not, maybe a visit to the Doc to see if there's a medical issue you need to resolve.   Anyway, good luck!    And don't be intimidated by this bunch, we're all rooting for you....

sluggo

John

Saturday, 11/15... 8 mile railtrail run today, windy and 34 degrees.    Foam rolling yesterday set me up for a better run today, considering the soft dirt and rough footing, very happy with today's run.   Miles 3 and 4 drop a 100 feet, so turning back at mile 4, the challenge is to run miles 5 and 6 at least as fast and missed it by 2 seconds... lol  10:25, 9:42, 9:30, 9:24, 9:35, 9:21, 9:03 and 8:51.

Sounds like a very pleasant 8 miles. I like the foam rolling too.

My knee liked me more today with 2 mi including  a tiny bit of walking. It would be nice to run tomorrow but it might be better to wait until Min.

Thanks for the Doc suggestion. I've done that and physical therapy but recovery is still elusive. I may well start seeing a physical therapist again. A different one may help me more than the previous one did.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

NH Runner

Sluggo... 2 miles is good!    By all means wait 'til Monday, you need to give your body time to adapt to the stresses you're throwing at it.    Also, what are you wearing for shoes, if you haven't been fitted with running shoes it's something you should seriously consider.

sluggo

John

Sluggo... 2 miles is good!    By all means wait 'til Monday, you need to give your body time to adapt to the stresses you're throwing at it.    Also, what are you wearing for shoes, if you haven't been fitted with running shoes it's something you should seriously consider.

Thanks for asking about the shoes.

I had them fitted and bought Brooks Addrenaline at Marathon Sports in Boston (at the Marathon finish line). They are old but I only have 70 miles on them and I have newly fitted Orthotics.

While sleeping last night, I decided to try another round of physical therapy. I have good health insurance, so use it! This is important so I will find a way to fit it into my life.

John

Well, I gotta say, it seems like you are all putting in great miles without major issues. I find it intimidating.

Last night was the 1st time since the 7th that I had a good chance for putting in a run. It was a little cold and I really did not want to go out. However, I did succeed in putting on my shoes and starting a run. My knee immediately flared up and I stopped after 100 feet for a *REALLY* short run.

I did go to the basement ti use out stationary bike for about 45 minutes - listened to a Radio Lab podcast. Radio Lab was great. Biking is a bore.

sluggo:  hang in there!!  RIch has good advice.  Remember too that each of us started at the beginning.  This group is very supportive and encouraging and I appreciate the sharing of the wisdom from their experiences about running and life in general.  Reading how many miles we ran each day/week/month can be intimidating but it wasn't without a struggle.  I know that each mile on a long run is a mental challenge for me, winter conditions or in summer humidity/heat.  I truly believe in taking walk breaks to lessen muscle fatigue/bone stress and less recovery times/injuries.  I recommend you read up on Jeff Galloway.  I have run/walk/run in my training runs and races (for about 20 yrs now).  I run my run.  There are some 'runners' who think walking is lame and you're not a 'real runner' if you walk ..........tell that to die-hard dirt trail runners and ultra-marathoners.  Remember, it's suppose to be FUN.  Didn't you mention that you swim?  Swimming is awesome!!  Strengthening the muscles may be the goal for you right now and try the run/walk method.  I agree "biking is a bore" especially a stationary bike ...(and in a basement with no windows??) .........but I say the same about the TM.  But you gotta do what you gotta do.  Mix it up.  Hope my 2 cents helps.  Keep us updated, I am interested in your progress.

AZ~Yes! Way to persevere and get the 18.6 miles done!   It's tough at first, but running at the indoor track will get better. Since some of my trail runs are so imbedded in my mind, I try to envision where I would be on the trail at certain distances while running the track.  I'm training for indoor HM in January and 6 10k races from October to March.

Friday - URD. Major traffic problems kept me from my 8 miles at the indoor track this evening.  Like many cities, huge road construction projects going on. Question - When they plan these huge multi-year projects, WHY do they work on all the alternate routes, too???   Hopefully, I can get in the 8 miles after work tomorrow.

Deb:  thanks!! The last 4 miles was my "try to just get it done fast!" So I upped the speed to 8:00/mile, still taking 1 min walk break after each mile.  I couldn't believe I finished upright.  8:00/mile?!? Really?!?  I don't trust the TM to be accurate but who cares by then, right?!? LOL!!  Funny you mentioned that you "envision" a "trail at certain distances while running the track."  I have to do the same running on the TM.  Yes, thanks for reminding me of your indoor HM and 10k races.  Bummer you didn't get a run in on your planned day but hope you did the next day!  You are doing fantastic!!

NH Runner

Sunday, 11/16... 5 mile road run today, 36 degrees & windy.     A 1/4 mile into the run I was really tempted to shut it down and walk home, but hung in there enough to get 5 when I originally wanted 8.    Legs surprised when I started running, they were more sore than was expecting...lol

Today gives me 28 miles of running and 8 miles on the tryke this week.  Taking tomorrow off, with a weather forecast like the one from NOAA for tonight and tomorrow, it just makes good sense... lol

Tonight A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 30. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

• Monday Snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain before 11am, then rain. High near 36. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Sluggo... good luck with the physical therapy!

rmcj001

Debra - There's always construction somewhere...Hope you got your run yesterday.  All the hard work will pay off.

Sluggo - I'll second Az's advice and incorporate the walks in your runs.  Met a gentleman who did a sub 1:45 half incorporating walks, so it works and you can go pretty fast/far with the method.  Find a plan like couch to 5k (c25k) and try and stick with it.

NHRich - Like the quicker pace at the end of that 8!  Keep it up!

Az - Wow, 18.6 with 8 mpm at the end!  You're going to kill that marathon.

Saturday, 9 mile recovery run.  Nice and slow just to keep the blood in the legs pumping and keep the legs fatigued.

Saturday, 18.5 mile long run.  Last 8.5 were at marathon race pace.  Mileage for the week hit a new high, 70.8 miles, and now the hard work is all over.  Back to my 50 mile weeks...

Ray

justrundan

AZ-  Nice job on that long run.  Tough on the TM, but you did a good job of mixing it up.  Nice speed!

Deb- You are doing so well right now, those winter races will be fun for you!

sluggo- I will add my vote to the run/walk method.  I really helps get in more time on your feet without injury or burnout.

NHRich- Great times on that run!

Ray- You are in great shape for your marathon too!  Nice of you to 'take it easy' with a 50 mile week.  Someday, maybe, for me!

After the cold wet run in Door County last weekend i did not run for a whole week!  CAn't remember when I've gone that long!  Part attitude, part weather, and part work.  Yesterday 4.5 mi, today 5.5, both on the RiverWalk.  Went out as sun was setting today, ran with headlamp.  22 degrees, felt like 10.  Needed my balaclava! 

Dan

WDWRich

Greetings everyone!

Last week was super busy at work, so I had no time to post.  Did get in a few runs though.  I've been including hills in almost every run in order to try to be ready for the Thanksgiving 10k with "Challenge Hill".  Saturday, my granddaughter's club team had an 8am soccer match in the next town.  I used Google maps and found a runable route that was just under 7 miles and included two major hills.  Left the house just after 6:30 and got to the first big hill at about mile 3.5.  Was able to reach the top with no walk breaks, then relatively flat course until reaching the University campus where the game was being held.  The last .5 mile was all uphill.  The legs where starting to feel pretty stale, so I only ran about half of that last uphill jaunt, and walked the rest.  Reach the finish at the soccer field at 7:45.  I think I'll continue to train on hills and/or at race pace this week, then ease up Saturday thru Tuesday with a couple of easy/shorter runs.  Wednesday next week will be a rest day, then race on Thanksgiving morning.

Run well friends!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

WDWRich:  AWESOME run on those hills!!  Jealous that you have them for training .  Good job!! Your training plan sounds like you will get some pretty good strength training as well.  Keep it up!!

Dan:  You deserved a break ....... I get that way too!  Most of it is "attitude"   BRRR on your morning run, balaclava season!! Good for you that you got 'out there'.  Still lots of bitter cold temps to come, ugh!!

Ray:  WOW!! Like I said, you are piling on the mileage WAY WAY WAY more than I am for a FM!!  I know you will have an incredible finish!! Well, the last 4 miles at 8:00/mile happens only once in a blue moon, I think.  I know that won't be my "pace" for the FM (I wish, haha) but I do that for speed training.  So I tried again today but made it only at that speed for 2 miles. WHEW!!  Felt great though, LOL!!

Drove to university gym today.  It is really cold today and getting colder.  Right now, it's about 8 degrees, 16mph wind, feels like -10!!!

This time I ran 5 miles on the mini track, taking 30 sec walk break after each mile, then 3.3 on the TM with the last 2 miles at 8:00/mile, no walk break.  So finished 8.3 miles.  Some weights and elliptical afterwards.  Some light snow on the drive home.

sluggo

John

Drove to university gym today.  It is really cold today and getting colder.  Right now, it's about 8 degrees, 16mph wind, feels like -10!!!

This time I ran 5 miles on the mini track, taking 30 sec walk break after each mile, then 3.3 on the TM with the last 2 miles at 8:00/mile, no walk break.  So finished 8.3 miles.  Some weights and elliptical afterwards.  Some light snow on the drive home.

AZ - It looks like you are running in colder weather than I am. You must expect this challenge in Northern MN.

John

Chantilly75

rmcj001  That's some mileage! Good thoughts for your CIM.

Big Sur is a scenic marathon, but looks very challenging.

Arthritis makes me quite intolerant to cold weather now.

Re: age related falls.  I find it helpful to practise balancing on one leg once in awhile.

sluggo Physio will help keep you limber.  Take advantage of it if it's free.

I have been running for over 20 years.  I started out with a few minutes of running, a few minutes of walking, and did that 3 times a week for awhile, then it was 4 times a week, maybe a few minutes longer running each week or two, etc. The key is to do it gradually, but get out regularly. A run and walk workout done 3 times a week is better than a run once a week. Agree with AZ that muscles need to be strengthened.

gito57  Did you get into the Zoom zoom Yah yah? I have looked at this one. You'll have fun indoors, and you're experienced on the track.

NH Runner How much snow do you need for your XC skis?  Won't it be too slippery for your trike, now?

az2mntrail  You're going to be in shape for your FM! Congrats on the 18.6!

How big is your track? Mine is 220 metres. As for cliques, I meant the groups of senior walkers.  They all have their own little groups they hang out with. They remind me of grade-school.   There are very few runners on the track, unless it is a training group from the local running stores.

WDWRich Good idea to seek out those hills.  They will help you. Sounds like a fairly strong workout.

justrundan Hope you got rested up after your race.

Past 3 days off due to work.

10 miles this morning at 5 AM.

(serious) Marathon group there coached by a former masters champion who still runs a sub 3 at 60 years old. They do speed work once or twice a week indoors all winter. It costs about $100/month to be coached by him.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica