50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

Well Saturday's race was a good time. Strange starting time of 8:00 AM though. I think because of the Salsa Festival so you do not have to wait too long between events. Early morning was cool but you could feel it starting to warm up around start time. Temps probably in the low 70s. It was a small event with them announcing 600 registered. Final finishers were 492. It was fun watching some of the cooks making their salsa for the event. Unfortunately no samples before the race.

Race was around part of Tempe Town Lake which is actually part of the river which is dry most of the year. There are rubber damns on both ends that hold the water in. Kind of making a lake. Called to the start line and moved towards the front to get a good start. No clock at the start, gut counts down and we are off.

Being in the front this time there wasn't much congestion and we start to thin out. Meaning the faster runners are starting to pull away. Running along the water was nice as it was quiet and scenic. Turned and ran across the pedestrian bridge that covers the rubber damn on the West end. Turn and we are now running on the other side and I start to pass a couple of people that have slowed down. Either that or I am running too fast. Pass the water station at the one mile mark and it looks like only a couple of people took water. I pass and continue on. Come to the first of the small rolling inclines. At the top time to turn and start the climb to go over the bridge and cross to the other side. It's a gentle uphill climb for a quarter mile and then the quarter mile decline. Turn and come to the two mile mark and water station. Stop and get a drink as I was feeling thirsty. Body feels fine just really thirsty. Then come to the first of 3 small hills. Up we go then down we go, up we go and down we go. Have a couple of younger runners pass me. That wakes me up so I try to push a little on the last hill. On the way down and see the finish line. And 2 runners in front of me. OK, I can catch them. Crank it up a notch and slowly pass the first person. The second decides it's time for him to kick it up a notch and I can't catch him. Cross the finish line and there is no clock any where so I don't know how I have down.

Grab some water, banana, bagel and a bag of chips. There is some salsa there but is just plain simple salsa. They post the first set of times and I see I am number 30 with a time of 23:58. Slower then my best but still a good time. Finally they post the final results. My time and place stay the same but turns out I was the first in my age group. Yippee! So I wait during the awards ceremony and it turns out I get to be the last person called. Get my ribbon with medal and contemplate on which end of the booths to start tasting salsa. So I finish this part of the season on a high note. Nothing is planned for the next four months. The next season starts in September.

Oh. The salsa was good. Lots of variety and tastes. Had a couple of fruity blends that were good. Tried one of the hot and spicy ones. Whoa that sucker was HOT! I could feel it burning all the way down. I like spicy food but this was way over the top for me. I had to go get a couple of ice cubes to suck on to cool my mouth. One of the ones I enjoyed was made with watermelon, strawberries, corn and a couple of other things. It was refreshing and different. Overall a nice way to relax after running in the morning.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Art- Nice time on that 5K.  Sounds like a nice little trail.  I can certainly understand not having any more races until September.  Are you able to run early to stay in shape, or is it inside?

Debra- Hope the family weekend went well and you can recover a little before next weekend.  Hang in there and take it easy.

Yard work today, then 4.2 miles this evening.  Didn't feel as good as the 2 in Chicago, probably "just one of those days".  Plan to run Tuesday and Thursday before leaving for Door county Friday evening as soon as DW finishes at her school.

Run strong this week friends.

Dan

Art - thanks for such a vivid race report! Awesome time!! Congratulations on being first in you AG!! That must feel great!!

Dan - my runs are a struggle these days, too. Don't know why but it might be high expectation ( gee its been a while since I've run this short. It should be fun but it feels like a lot of work.)  Or, it might be training fatigue. Whatever!

Ray- i'm going to try the Hanson method with you starting around May 19th to try improve time. I'm concerned it might lead to injury quicker but have a little extra time in case it does.

Run happy, strong and safe!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Art in AZ

Had to share this before I started the day. It just proves karma payback can be a 81tch.

Ran 5 miles this morning. On this route I run in the bike lane. As I come up to the stop light on the way back of course it turns red. So I stop and soon a bike rider stops next to me. So there are the two of us waiting in the bike lane. This must of upset some guy in his pickup because he couldn't squeeze through this little lane so he can make a right turn. Does he wait? Nooo! He decides he's going to go around us and the other cars stopped at the light. So he pulls into the left turn lane and makes his right hand turn while glaring at us. Now to show us all how bad his truck is his steps on it and squeals his tires while turning and accelerating away. Except he forgets about the two doors he has in the back of the truck. Yep. As we watch him pull away, out come the two doors and end up on the street. He quickly stops the car and squeals the tires again turning around so he can pick up the doors. I'm sure he had more than a few choice words to say and felt like an idiot. He sure looked like one.

I clap and mutter something about karma being a ***** and the rider next to me laughs and said good for him. There were two bike riders on the other side of the street and one of them yells something about feeling cool now. The light changes and I proceed the rest of the way home with a smile on my face. Yes, sometimes things do work out.

Dan - I still run outside during the summer. Usually try to leave around 6:00 AM and the runs are usually easier. I try to get some 8 - 10 miles in on the weekends. Also I tend to ride my bicycle more. That extra breeze feels good sometimes.

Mary Kay - Yes it did feel good. First time that has happened. Maybe I should run more smaller events.

Regarding the shorter runs. I have those types of run also. Usually when I have been running the longer distances. It seems like a struggle to get going and find that groove. At least for me those runs are the ones where I have a hard time concentrating. It seems my mind has a mind of its own and just keeps wandering around to everything and anything. But a few of those runs I have had real good times, so it's hard to say what was happening. I just chalk it up to whatever and the next run will be better.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art - loved your post about the Darwin driver who will likely lose his license at some point. "My mind has a mind of its own." Sooo true for me, too!! Would make a great first line of something!

Mk

Mary Kay

Hi there everyone!! You all have been busy and I enjoyed reading all your post!! Got back to PHX last night and taking care of the royal princesses again till Wed. Then back to northern AZ before leaving for NM on Friday.

ART:  CONGRATS!! Loved reading your RR, I can follow the course as I know the area and have run 10 milers and HMs in the Tempe area numerous times.  I lived in Mesa for about 3 yrs, soooo last century (90's).  That is so awesome on 1st in AG!! WOW!! happy for you!  And I loved salsas too, the hotter the better (probably being a NM native where red/green chili is a stable, haha!).  They can be so creative and it's fun to take a chance on how various combinations of veggies/fruits can hit the spot and be surprisingly delicious, I love salsa with mangos especially.  Sounds like race day was overall a very rewarding day!!  OH, so glad you and the bikers didn't get hurt, and I can't believe that drivers still don't 'get it' especially in the cities nowadays when they are more bikers with the nicer weather, that just irks me too!! Certainly looked like an idiot, he deserved it!!  haha!, scary but funny!!  GOSH, I don't know if I can WAIT 4 months without a race!  Not much for 5ks/10ks as I'm not a 'sprinter,' but it sounds like you maintain some base mileage.  PHX temps are brutal to run in in the summer.  Stay hydrated!

RAY:  HAHA!!  Loved your "sometimes it's better to be stupid so you don't know any better!!"  loved that, totally agree and probably one of the reasons why I don't like to run the same races too often.  Exciting that you'll be running a 10k on the same day as I, Deb, and Dan are running a HM!!  Good Luck!

DAN:  Your taper sounds like it's on a good schedule.  "just one of those days" do come now and then.  You'll do great this weekend, I know. We attended a conference in Chicago a couple of yrs ago, and stayed in a very nice hotel about a block from the lakefront where everyone runs and is part of the Chicago marathon.  I ran everyday from 6-12 miles per day from one end to the next, gorgeous sunset with the city landscape, ideal photo op!!  So nice to hear that you miss your DW on trips and can't wait to get home, same here.  DH and I sometimes take separate business trips but we prefer to take them together and take a couple of extra days for sightseeing and spontaneous adventures.  Safe travels home.

DEB:  You are soooo ready for your HM this weekend, family time can be a 'good' interference, hope you got some of your scheduled runs in, glad they are shorter so you can spend time with family.  I had to do the same on SAT/SUN as family stayed at my place in northern AZ to celebrate 2nd GD arrival into the world (although it was on Jan. 1st), most of the family had not seen her yet.  Sister's family drove from San Diego, most of family from NM.  It was wonderful!!

mkayc:  Girl, you are so impressive despite the occasional indulges, which is ok!!  GOSH, those pre-race jitters do get the best of you it seems but it's great you are staying optimistic!!  Hope you are getting some rest, I have problems with getting the sleep sometimes, I think it's due to travel in different time zones, temps, elevations, etc............. and a glass of red wine does help!! haha!! not lately though, am waiting till after HM race this weekend, my siblings were stunned!! haha!!

Marie:  hope all is well.

Last post was last Wed:  decided to take it as rest day as I was planning on a double run on Thursday back in northern AZ.  Ran 10.5 miles Thurs. morning on a different trail that tends to be very popular with mtn. bikers, which is good b/c then I know I am not alone.  Pretty hilly, rocky in many areas but dirt packed where I could speed up, a bit breezy but nice!! Met up with the all women trail running group at a different trail about 5:45 pm, and it was great to see some familiar faces!!  Because it's in the evenings, runs are at least 4 miles and if anyone wants to run longer, it can be about 8 miles depending on the trail.  I treated this as a 'recovery run,' so I stayed with the 4 miler group, was wonderful and really helped work out the kinks from the morning run.  So total run for the day was 14.5 miles!!!

FRIDAY couldn't arrive any earlier, OH MY goodness!!  Finally got my long awaited massage from the most incredible MT!!  I miss her so much all these months esp. when in MN!! She had some surgery on foot, shoulder so was on leave for awhile.  So glad she is back!! I could have stayed for 2 hrs!!   So took another rest day, believe me, I did think about a 'short' run but I knew I would end up running much longer and I should rest after the double run the day before.

SATURDAY:  After family event, I drove to a different trail, and ran 10 miles, tough run as I couldn't seem to get out of 1st gear till I hit 6 miles but it was good and I was pushing myself the last mile as it got started to get dark.

So total miles for the week:  43.2 miles!!  yay!!

SUNDAY (yesterday):  last of family left around 4 pm; decided to run longer on the trail from Thurs evening, got to trail about 5 pm, ran 5.5 miles and I was alone, sun setting quickly behind mtn peak so ran back, did a sort of 'intervals' so quads really felt the uphills.  Made it home, showered, ate, and drove the 2 hrs south to PHX.  Nicer to drive into PHX when temps are 'cooler.'

Plan is to run this evening and Tuesday in PHX, rest day Wed. as I return to northern AZ, short run on Thursday,rest day on Friday as I will be driving to NM, have to pick up race bib/bag by 4 pm.

Consequence of not posting for days, you all get a LONG post to read, yeah, I miss you all too! haha!  Happy Monday!!

AZ - you are now a running machine! No more health problems for you!!  My race is this weekend, also!!

I've just finished reading Kings of the Road, about the rise in road running popularity in 1972-1982. It was excellent as a historical report but the author had a bias that ran throughout, was new to me and was upsetting. I've posted the Epilogue on the Forum. If you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think. Despite all, the last paragraph is inspirational.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Mary Kay~I can relate to the "food cravings" -- Made pulled pork and pulled turkey for the family celebration last weekend and could not stop "sampling".  Also, a friend who should open her own bakery brought flour-less chocolate/raspberry bars and Key Lime bars w/ toasted coconut on top.  *drool*  Wish I could send you some.Big grin

AZ~You're right!  All the preparations and family time was just the distraction needed.  Everyone pitched in and  the ceremony was beautiful, so proud of our son!  LOVED reading about all your trail running.  Enjoy, enjoy!

Dan~I bet you're happy to be home from the conference.  Business travel was never my cup of tea.  I think our sudden spike in temps may have caused a sluggishness in my runs, too.  Luckily for us the 6" snow pack melted on Middle Rd.  Should I pack my Yak-Traxs?Wink

Art~CONGRATULATIONS on a great race and 1st in AG, too!  Awesome RR and loved the story about the cretin in the truck --SWEET!  The salsa sampling sounded dangerous!  Gotta watch out for those Scoville units!  Shocked

Ray~50+ mile week -- way-to-go on reaching that milestone buddy!  Your training sounds like it is going great, keep it up.

After the family left, I got in a long, super slow run of 10 miles on the interurban trail.  Last week I was alone on the bike path, but our beautiful weather changed that yesterday.  Everyone was out enjoying a fabulous day -- runners, cyclists, dog walkers, roller-bladers and skate boarders.  The '"amateurs", as DH calls them, were out in force.  Primarily cyclist trying out bikes they recently purchased.  No trail etiquette.  It's difficult trying to settle into a rhythm with bikes giving no personal space and no warning when approaching from behind.  When it's windy, I can't always hear shifting gears or whirring tires.  After the HM, I'll move my long runs to the dirt bike path which isn't as heavily used.  It is also more shaded and comfortable during the summer months.

Mary Kay, AZ, Dan & Ray - Have safe travels to/from your events.  You have all put in the miles, your training is completed, now is the time to enjoy your race and everything that goes with it!  I can't wait to read those RRs.  RUN STRONG FRIENDS!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Is it common to get in a funk a week or two before a race?  Just weird last 10  days, motivation low, not "anticipating" like I was 3 weeks ago.  Probably just fatigue.  I really DO want to run the DCHM, and beat my goal time.  Whatever it is, it will pass.

AZ- your last week looks a lot like mine.  if I don't post again before the weekend, have a GREAT race Saturday. I'll be thinking of you finishing about the time I'm at mile 6!  Enjoy.

Mary Kay- good luck this weekend!  And whatever you do, be good to yourself and enjoy it!

Deb- nice 10 miler.   Will DH be in the park cheering?  DW plans to go, but not sure what she'll do for all that time I'm on the road.  Any suggestions on how to best work that?   will you be using one of the pace teams?  I may start with the slowest one, the 2:25, but my plan will likely have me dropping off that early on so I don't go out too fast.  We will see.  Good luck!  (and stay dry).

To all racing this weekend-  Enjoy the gift of being able to do this great, fun event.

Dan

Smile Didn't realize I ran 4 days in a row till I got back in my car after last night's run!! It's great when one normalizes such days!

Monday evening:  forgot my garmin but know these trail loops so I guessed I ran at least 6 miles.  First mile uphill, then up and down rocky and dirt packed trail at top of mtn before returning on trail at mid mtn to west side to use last of the sun's rays to guide me back to trailhead.

Tuesday (yesterday):  getting a bit more breezy.  Ran different route, first 1/2 mile uphill then took the flatter route along the canal for about 1.5 miles, then a steady uphill climb for about a mile to the top, ran a loop, knees/quads really feeling the last 3 days, so took a few 10 seconds walk breaks here and there, headed back on the mid trail of mtn again which I really enjoy, a challenge for strong finish mentally, got to west side and boy, it got WINDY!! So headwind till I turned east at base to trailhead, 6.1 miles.

Dan, this run felt 'funky,' tough, tiring and slow but felt great on drive home, knowing this was my 4th run in a row!! Not pretty, not sure if I would make it past 4 miles but was glad I got a longer run, yay!!

Rest day today, knees are thanking me for it already, haha!!

May head home to northern AZ tonight, but DD felt sick last night but went to work today, her last day at work with this company, she's looking forward to spending time with the babies!! May stay till tomorrow and get my last short run (4-6 miles) with the all women trail running group in the evening.  The trail is a steady uphill from the start with a 'killer hill' within 2 miles, then gorgeous views on top at about 8,000 feet!! worth the sweat! LOVE IT!!

Dan and Deb:  safe travels and GOOD LUCK this Saturday!! Nice to have your SO cheering for you!!  I will have some family along the route too so it will be my driving motivation to finish well. 

AZ - congratulations on the Four in a Row!! They were powerful runs!! You are living my goal life! I really want to start running more frequently like you, NHLA, SoImA and Mel but I'm wondering if their injuries aren't related to the frequency.

Dan - I'm in a funk with nervous energy but the distracting kind. Just finished a peanut butter chocolate chip ice cream cone and it tastes horrible coming back up. I was so full before I ate it! I have been eating like this for over a week and then struggled breathing through my run last night!!! DD just called and offered to come visit for Mother's Day. YAY! Normally this would make my day but it's just a blip on my radar right now. Still wondering about timing and errands and what to do with these next three days. Planning my next round of training seems to be the winning distraction for the moment.

Debra - You, too are more than ready for your HM!! Ten strong miles with a crowd!

You and Dan - Enjoy every minute of your race and remember it all for us?

After the marathon and rest, my goals will be to spend the next six weeks seriously trying to lose weight and get faster/stronger. Was thinking of a weekly running schedule with five running days, Tue, Wed, Thu, and Sat, Sun. with Tues being interval speed training, Thursdays a short faster trail run (tempo or race pace?) Wed. and Sun. 3 easy miles and Saturday being a longer run (5 - 9). Mon. would be at least 40 min workout at the gym and Wed. might add some core or weight work. Then I'd pick up with fall marathon training for the MCM the second week of July maybe tailoring that to fit my progress (or lack).

Well enough pipe dreaming.

Run Strong, Happy and Safe!!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Sent you a PM.  The forecast for Saturday from Gibraltar HS at the edge of the park in Fish Creek call for "Not as cool.  Mostly cloudy, highs in the mid 50s, east wind at 5-10 mph."  No rain!  Re: the funk -- I don't get that feeling as much as believing I'm not "worthy" of running the race.  I will wake up the morning of, no matter how well training has gone, and thoughts of "De-bor-a, who do you think you are to try running a half marathon!"  I guess past doubts of self-worth die hard.  The horrible events from Boston have had a significant effect on runners participating in events in the past few weeks.   Each of us processes it in our own individual ways and in our own time.  I cannot think of a better place than Peninsula State Park to "restore my soul".  "Enjoy the gift of being able to do this great, fun event"  Whole-heartily agree, and you truly captured what it is ALL about.

To all my Mighty Master friends,

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news.  The good news is that you don't know how great you can be!  How much you can love!  What you can accomplish!  And what your potential is!"     Anne Frank

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Hey All!

Work has kept me very busy, so I haven't been on this board much lately.  Glad to see everyone is running/training as usual.

Art- Thanks for the race report and congrats on a great run!

Forecast for today and tomorrow here in my area of San Diego is for afternoon temps at or near 90 degrees.  Not too good for running after work, so I dragged myself out of bed at 4:30 this morning and headed out into the darkness with my younger dog for a 3-mile maintenance run.  Plan to run 9  miles or so on Saturday morning.  Just about three weeks till my next race- the Patriots 10k around Lake Murray.

Cheers everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Re: the funk -- I don't get that feeling as much as believing I'm not "worthy" of running the race.  I will wake up the morning of, no matter how well training has gone, and thoughts of "De-bor-a, who do you think you are to try running a half marathon!"  I guess past doubts of self-worth die hard.  The horrible events from Boston have had a significant effect on runners participating in events in the past few weeks.   Each of us processes it in our own individual ways and in our own time.  I cannot think of a better place than Peninsula State Park to "restore my soul".  "Enjoy the gift of being able to do this great, fun event"  Whole-heartily agree, and you truly captured what it is ALL about.

To all my Mighty Master friends,

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news.  The good news is that you don't know how great you can be!  How much you can love!  What you can accomplish!  And what your potential is!"     Anne Frank

Dan & Debra - I was in a funk, kinda DLS in my chest  and was blaming it on allergies. It could be race jitters though bc everything you've written here rang true. Uh-oh! So I pulled up some past mantras. the one most common that really was true and was impossible to believe last year was: Trust your training! Even if you don't believe you can't do it, believe that your training has brought you to the point where you can. Then there was "Kill the Hill" (Marie or Debra's?) and "Win This Mile" (as in stay on pace).  Others: 

Centered and strong, I run right along.

A race with fun is easy to run.

I'm tough, I'm buff, I strut my stuff.

Relax, relax, to achieve the max.

I'm ready, I'm steady.

In control and ready to roll.

Just ran 4. It was a slog but weather could not be better. Allergies or anxiety is cramping my chest. Have to decide whether to use inhaler before run. Errrrgg. I hate doubt and uncertainty!!! But am soooo Thankful for the chance to do this! Can't believe I'm still a virgin at something! To you who are not racing, enjoy the peace!!

Strong, safe and happy runs to all! 

If you are racing, run fearless and be fierce!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Crazy Diamond

Mary Kay~Thanks for sharing the mantras!  I'm going with "In control and ready to roll".  Love it!  It's your time and you are going to be great.  Soak up every sight, smell, taste and sound to share with us all in your own unique way.  RUN STRONG!

I'm packed and can't wait to get to my favorite park and drive the course.  Really looking forward to meeting justrundan and  DW on Saturday.

Quo Vadis?