50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

MaryKay- re: the early start, I often wake up between 4-4:45 and try to go back to sleep, but I've decided that as long as it is getting light early I'm going to get up and go whenever I wake up, as long as it's after 4AM.  I often have a hard time getting to back to sleep anyway.

The shower for DD went very well, beautiful weather and lovely time had by all, or so I was told.  DS & I disappeared at the appropriate time and reappeared on cue as it was winding down. Wink

AZ-  You are right, the move from AZ to MN has been rough for you and DH!  There is a 'stress measure' that uses life changes (both good and bad) to assess how much stress someone is under, and you are right up there with all the illnesses and injuries and family issues you&DH have dealt with in the last year.  Take care of yourself!  Running is something you need right now!

Ran a late in the day 5+ miles at easy pace, but leaden legs didn't liven up after 2-3 miles like they usually do.  Not sure why.  Maybe cuz they're used to the morning runs?  Who knows?  Speaking of knowing, any suggestions for HM plans for my fall half; I need to get that in the books soon.  Any suggestions welcome. What has worked well for you all?

Have a great week friends, and run strong.

Dan

webpro

Hi Mighty Masters. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around and kicking  running. Summer arrived w/ a vengeance. Hot & humid, but it has been beautiful.  When looking at time/pace, it is frustrating to see that slow down for the temp change, but I'll get used to it.

I'm running 4 days per week and working on building to the Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare HM & 10K over Labor Day. Being Disney, I'm not looking to run fast, but to have fun. DD & I have our costumes although they will need some alterations.

We're planning on another HM in the fall, most likely a Halloween race in a nearby town. Lots will depend on her work schedule.

Still taking care of my parents and each week brings new challenges.  What I have learned most is that taking care of your health is most important. This group is on the right track to have a good quality of life long into the later years.

Good running everyone. Congrats on all of your accomplishments and  overcoming adversity.

Marie

webpro

So this is where you all have been hanging out!!!!! Glad to see ALL of your most recent accomplishments. Now that i know where everybody is posting. I'll spend a little time catching up prior to posting.

Crazy Diamond

Tony!!!!  Great to hear from you!  We've missed you and others from our previous thread on Active.  Occasionally I'd check to see if anyone was still posting there.  Welcome to RA, and looking forward to catching up on what you have been doing.  Run strong friend!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Mary Kay - While DW and I love all things Disney, a trip to WDW in Florida isn't in the budget this year.  We're planning one in 2014 to celebrate our 40th anniversary though.  For now, we'll have to stick to DL which is close to home.

Marie - DW and I will be at DL for the races over Labor Day weekend.  She's doing the 10k and me the HM.  We needed to run separate races so each day one of us would be available to watch grandkids since DD and her husband are doing the Dumbo Double Dare.  Got to love running through the Disney parks!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

So this is where you all have been hanging out!!!!! Glad to see ALL of your most recent accomplishments. Now that i know where everybody is posting. I'll spend a little time catching up prior to posting.

WEBPRO!!!  OH my gosh!! where have you been?!?  I was wondering what happened to you!!  Glad to know you're enjoying life!!

Tony!!!!  Great to hear from you!  We've missed you and others from our previous thread on Active.  Occasionally I'd check to see if anyone was still posting there.  Welcome to RA, and looking forward to catching up on what you have been doing.  Run strong friend!

gito57:  Wink Smile I've been doing the same!! Gosh, we're so thoughtful, Joking.  SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK, webpro!!!

DH and I returned late last night from visiting family and family friend in ND. We only stayed one night, a 5 hr drive one way.  DH took today off to get some 'stuff' done, sometimes a 2-day weekend isn't enough.

I rested Fri and Sat., and ran 12.1 miles yesterday (June 2), finishing in 2:00 hrs, on the track at the high school in ND.  The 'safest' place although the grassy hills and roads were tempting, there are too many loose and owner-less dogs, along with irresponsible owners.  Not much of an early runner, I got my butt out there at 8:30 am.  I know I have to start doing that, ugh!!  Early riser but not an early exercise person till around 10 am.  It was pretty chilly at 42 degrees especially with the breeze.  I'm glad I brought my running jacket and tights, forgot my gloves but DH had his in the truck, YES!!

Started with half mile warm up around 10:30 m/m.  Ran counter clockwise every 'even' mile to avoid boredom.  Upped pace between 9:30-10 m/m to mile 4.  Sun making it more warm, and humid but breezy depending on the direction.  Mile 4 -6, 110 yrd of fartleks, jogging 110 yrds in between.  Mile 6-10, pace 9:10-9:30 two laps, jog 1 lap.  Mile 10-11, pace about 9:30 1 lap, jog 1 lap. Mile 12, 8:30 pace half lap, jog half lap. WHEW!! Huge billboard display of temp/time.  It 'warmed' up to 52 degrees by the time i finished, muggy.  Very slow half lap jogging, stretched long, with some dynamic stretching, another very slow half lap jog, and more dynamic stretching in the end.  Feeling great today.

Only one walker (male) on the track who got a lot of horn honking from drivers from local traffic so he waves.  Must be a popular guy.

Rest today, and short runs tomorrow and Wednesday, then rest till HM Trail race on Saturday.

One of these days, I want to do the DL or WDW HM or FM ........ have sister who lives in San Diego and she wants to be my cheering squad at DL (she wants a getaway trip, really), that would be a great sister weekend.  I hope to ride my harley to/and meet up with my HOG sisters/brothers from AZ at the annual HOG rally in Milwauke this Labor Day weekend, searching for a race there too for that weekend.

dyykjt1

Hi Tony!!! I have been wondering what happened to you! Good to see you back with the family! LOL

I have a hard time staying caught up in here since I have really good intentions of coming in, but then get side tracked and then by the time I get back in I am so far behind that I cannot keep up and have to many post to respond to! It is a vicious cycle! Wink

Art in AZ

Greetings everyone. It's nice to see everyone getting good runs in as the weather changes. I know I'm behind on posting but have kept fairly current by checking in occasionally. Congratulations to those who raced.

I see a few others are starting to experience summer temps. Here in Phoenix we have been in it for a while. Morning temps are in the mid 70s to low 80s. It's still dry but that will last until the end of June or so. July is when the humidity starts to pick up. Making the mornings a little more uncomfortable. We won't talk about what the weather is like later in the day.

Looking at doing a couple of races later in the higher elevation/ sometimes cooler parts of the state. Something to do as part of a weekend get-away.

AZ - question for you on running between Phoenix, low elevation, and Flagstaff, higher elevation. See a few events but was wondering how the different elevation would affect me. Any experience you can provide?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Looking at doing a couple of races later in the higher elevation/ sometimes cooler parts of the state. Something to do as part of a weekend get-away.

AZ - question for you on running between Phoenix, low elevation, and Flagstaff, higher elevation. See a few events but was wondering how the different elevation would affect me. Any experience you can provide?

Hi Art;  What races are you thinking of? I've run in the Flag Summer running series which has races on trails and/or downtown Flag.  The series starts with a 10k/5k, and it works towards a HM. The trail races can have an elevation gain of 1,000 to 2,000 depending on the trail, but starting as high as 6,500 in downtown parks to more than 8,500+ ft in the Nordic Center area.  Endurance training is great, but strength training for running those hills is most demanding on the ankles especially.  So it would be smart to run those desert trails in and around Phoenix to get use to the uneven terrain, rocks, roots, and single track.  As for lack of oxygen at higher elevation, just add 2 to 4 miles to your long runs.  If you can, give yourself a day or two to 'acclimate' or walk part of the trail the day before.  Sedona isn't as 'high' as Flag but I don't know when their races are held.  It's too much traffic there for races IMO.  Art, I think you will be fine, a little getting use to the first time, you may have to walk some of the hills but it really depends on the distance you want to race and the location in Flag.  If you let me know which race you are thinking of running, I can be a little more specific.

justrundan

Tony- marathon mentor!  So glad you found the new site/thread.  You'll need a long post or 2 to update us on all your running/racing/life.  Good to have you back.

AZ- Nice job on the 12.1!  You'll be nice and ready for your trail HM this coming weekend.  Saw your 'ride' on the MC thread,  NICE!!

I ran easy warm up first 1 1/2 mi this morning, then did fartleks of varying duration the next 2 miles, then recovery last .75 to home.  Didn't get out as early this morning.Roll eyes

Dan

Tony!! - I was missing you as I trained for my first full this spring, dammit. No worries, I have one this fall. Glad you found us! What have you been up to?

Rich - You and Marie are reminding me to schedule a Disney race. Thanks? er, I mean, Thanks!!

Dan - Sounds like a great morning run even if short!

Finished a sweet 4 easy miles after a 0.5 mi warm-up yesterday. Watching the McMillan videos reminded me there are benefits to easy runs, like burning fat, making it easier to just relax into it. Focused on keeping a steady pace and rolled. One nice run! Brought my clothes today, too but think I'll try some speed work at the track or gym later. Or not. Still worried about trouble getting back into my runs.

Run strong and safe!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Thanks Dan!  Yeah, 'one' of my 'rides' but that's my favorite, and I rode it from AZ to MN ....by myself!! YES I DID!! I usually do a solo cross country/long ride at least once a year, not sure where this year.  Good speed workout, those 'short' ones are tough.

Mkayc:  Slow long runs have their benefits so it's great that you are having more relaxed runs.  It shouldn't be so 'hard' to run, you have been doing really really good lately.

Took Odie back to Vet for checkup, he's still very clingy and lethargic but Vet says all is looking good, he'll just take longer to recover as his body went through so much and the meds add to that.  He seemed 'chipper' this evening. Other errands, conference calls, etc.

Finally got on the road, ran the first mile at comfortable pace, about 10:00; then 6 miles on the grassy trail, back and forth.  A few drops of rain now and then, so decided to head back, last mile about 9:30 pace. Finished 8.1 miles, 1:27.  YAY!!  DH just drove up when I got to the house and suggested dinner out.  Perfect!!  And 5 minutes later, it poured but it was nice, lawn looking lush, DH can't wait to mow ......again!!

Hope to run another short one tomorrow.  Feeling good.

Art in AZ

AZ - I was planning on doing the Gheral Brownlow Memorial 10K in Prescott on July 6 and make a weekend of it in the area. Printed out the form last week to send in this week. Checked the race site for location to local places to stay and see they cancelled the event. Bummer. Plus it is Rodeo weekend then so since rodeos aren't my thing figure to do something else. Saw there is going to be a half in Page going to Lake Powell in the middle of October. Sounds like it would different to a degree from running down here in the Valley. But nobody has answered my question on registration in over a week so I don't know about that one yet. Trying to combine a Saturday event with a weekend get away so to speak.

Got a 5 mile run in this morning. Stop at the water station and did some chin-ups on the way out and again on the way back.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ