50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Big grin HAPPY NATIONAL RUNNING DAY my mighty runners!!

Art:  Have not run in Page but been there for car shows and for harley rides.  Apparently there is a 'trail' around the town but it's confusing and not very well maintained as far as trails go.  Most runners I see there run along the paved road and on paved pathways here and there.  Prescott isn't too wild about races, especially running events where it seems to annoy many tourists, it's such a congested place IMO.  But they do have the WHISKEY ROW HM/FM which gets alot of runners there.  I always seemed to miss out on that race.  Bummer!  What about Payson/Globe area? Are you avoiding Flag? haha!!  There are many 5k/10k running events, trails and roads or a combination.

Not sure if I will be getting a short run in, it's been raining all morning, nice, slight breeze, sooo humid, and at about 48 degrees, it pretty cool.

4 to 6 miles should do it but may have to run the frontage road for that as most likely, my 'trail' is slick, muddy and 'flooded' ..... but then again, my TRAIL race may be just that on Saturday if it keeps raining!!  Suppose to be 'dry' rest of the week ........ oh well, will HAVE TO RUN tomorrow, rain or shine.  The HM Trail Race is gonna kick my butt but I'm really excited about it, really miss my trail running races, Sad.

Been searching for July races, and there are a couple of 5k/10k race close by on July 4th (Thursday).  One of them, in town, so not too far to drive, only gives out 'awards' to the first winner of each category; the other one closest to us is about a 30 mile drive, not a big deal, and it gives out 'awards' to the top 3 in each category.  I think they both charge the same registration fee whether you register early or on-site but it may get full although past years doesn't seem like it did.  Have to think about that........... But looking for another HM in July too.

Run safe and stay cool!!

Cool Woke up to a very sunny, bright, cloudless morning, WHOA!! pretty blinding, about 45 degrees, slight breeze.  Waited till 11 am, temp about 50 degrees by then, still a bit breezy so still pretty cool which kept the humidity/mosquitoes down, and seeing formation of rain clouds causing some overcast.  Been ready to run, all dressed, staying hydrated all morning, wore my new trail running shoes for first time (same brand, Brooks Cascadia) but in neon green, talk about blinding, haha!!   Also wore my CEP calf sleeves for second time.  Ran along frontage road a mile about 10:00 m/m. From mile 2-5, ran comfortable pace, didn't look at my garmin till close to 5 miles, trail is not as soggy as I thought it would be, did a couple of quick short hill repeats.  Felt great!!  And wanted/could have run more but PROMISED myself to not run more than 6 miles, no matter what!!! That was tough, Undecided.  But ran the last mile about 9:00 m/m, finished 6 miles, 1:01, YAY!!

Rest tomorrow.

Hope you all are doing well.

HAPPY THURSDAY and stay cool.

justrundan

Cool Woke up to a very sunny, bright, cloudless morning, WHOA!! pretty blinding,

AZ- we haven't seen sunny bright and blinding for a while here in my part of WI.  Trying to get small concrete job done for the last 3 weeks but the rain comes so frequently we've had to stall to avoid tearing up the yard.  Tomorrow it gets done mostly by hand, no skidloader!

Slow week for me, about 4.25 Monday and again today.  Hoping to do a local 5K sometime in June, we'll see if I can drop my PR significantly.  At the old PR, should not be hard.  lol!

Good weekend running to all

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Hello crew!

Slowly settling into a post school year schedule with DS2 home for the summer.  I miss my quiet house in the morning, but I'm enjoying the "joie de vivre" of DS and his buddies.  They are in and out of the house all day, and continuous sources of cheap giggles for me  Trips to the grocery every other day to keep the larder full!  14 yr. old boys are bottomless pits!

Ran 6 miles today, June 6th, in memory of my dear FIL, 1st Army, D-day +1.  3 miles up, 3 miles down.  I am humbled by the horrors they witnessed and the sacrifices they made for the freedom we so often take for granted.  God bless every single one of them.

Next week I'll begin a new training schedule for 3 HMs I've signed up for in late summer and early autumn.  Printed a new SmartCoach plan from Runner's World using my latest HM time.  I've used SC plans for my last 2 HMs with great results.  Almost finished reading Brad Hudson's "Run Faster" book to learn what I can do to improve my training and time.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Smile  YAY TGIF!!  Great to read that everyone seems to be getting in some quality runs, injury free and finding ways to acclimate to varying conditions. Smile

No run for me today, rest and stretching, taking it easy kind of day.  DH took day off but worried about a kid with a severe infection so he went in to check on him; and I KNOW he will end up doing some procedures which begins with, "Doc, since you're here, can you just take a quick look at this kid?"  He can't say no ...... who would with a kid in pain?!? ...... in the long run, that's what I love about him.

So I told DH that he doesn't have to come to my race tomorrow but he wants to drive me while I get some rest/sleep on the 2 hrs drive to the race.  He doesn't mind the small races.  We are leaving around 5 am, Sleepy plenty of time to make the 8:15 am start for the HM Trail race.  There are 3 events:  the HM, and a half of a half (10.5K), and a kids race.

The weather predicts 20%-50% scattered rain showers later in the day, a high of 70 degrees, 10-20 mph winds.  Not too worried about those, just hope the trail isn't as wet/muddy/slick from the previous rainy days.  But really, it doesn't matter, it's gonna kick my butt no matter what.  Wink  Just hope it's not too humid, makes it so much more difficult to breathe!!  I loved my new trail running shoes with the shoe dog inserts so I'm wearing them and my calf sleeves as well, my Nathan hydration belt with 2 water bottles I will fill with Hammer Heed, a couple of Hammer gels, and will drink water at the aid stations.  Not too different from my trail running regime for races in AZ.

I did spray the heck out of my shoes and running gear I will wear with tick repellent with the main ingredient, permethrin.  Recommended to me by the Vet. Not to be sprayed on skin, only for gear/clothing.  But I have some mosquito/tick repellent for spraying on skin too.

Gosh, the stuff I have learned since moving/leaving in the midwest due to the changing climate, whew!! Shocked Confused

I am just really excited about my trail race!!  Big grin  'Support team' DH is rolling his eyes/shaking his head more and more, haha!! Joking

WDWRich

AZ - Good luck at your race tomorrow.  Sounds as if the conditions might make it interesting, but I'm sure you'll nail it.  Good thinking on the tick repellent- no need for any unexpected hitchhikers.

I've had a somewhat low mileage week so far.  Ran 45 minutes of speed/agility drills with my soccer-playing granddaughter on Tuesday.  Was a little sore the next day, but I think it was a good thing.  Ran a 5k maintenance run yesterday and plan a long run for tomorrow morning with DW coming along on her bike.

Have a great weekend everyone, and all the best to those of you running in races!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

rmcj001

webpro - Greetings!  Hope everything is going well.

MKay - So sad about your stepson's boy!  But, good to hear your feeling good about running again.

Dan - Goals are good to have!  They keep us going.  Good luck on the 5k PR quest.

Debra - 3 HMs?  Sounds like work.  Good to have the work, if you can get it!

WDWRich - It so much easier to maintain shape then get into it.  Keep it up!

AZ - Hoping you race well tomorrow.  It is definitely better to have support there!  Good Luck!

The hard part of my marathon training is over.  Just easy maintenance runs the rest of the way and rest days.  Yesterday was supposed to be final long run at any pace and son and I were cruising along and nearing the 3 mile mark when he didn't clear a chain he likes to jump!  He slowly got up and dusted off and we continued for another 1/4 mile or so.  I need a bathroom break and he took the opportunity to do a better assessment of his injuries.  His shin already had a big knot and his toe felt worse, so we borrowed a phone and called DW to come pick us up.  The people (boot camp instructor) gave DS a cold pack and he sat down to ice his shin.  I took the opportunity to do some intervals.  Wife got us and he iced more through out the day.  The shin looks better, but final pace run wasn't.  I did some treadmiles (4 in 32:32) yesterday evening.  Hopefully, nothing too bad with DS and we'll all be fine for next Sunday (6/16).

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Ray~So sorry to read about DS's fall.  Hopefully with ice and rest he'll be no worse for the wear.  You are so well trained for your FM.  You're going to be awesome!  Run strong Ray!

Rich~I bet your granddaughter had fun doing drills with you!  Enjoy your long run with DW.   My DH and I use the same system for long runs and evening runs.

AZ~Run strong!  I can't wait to read all about your trail HM.  You will rock it girl!

Dan~That next 5k PR is ripe for the picking!

MK~What happened to stepson's son?  Going back to read your post again.

Art~You have to be gaining increased endurance running in your area's weather.  I'm wondering if we are ever going to get summer weather.  Lake Michigan's water temperature is still in the 50's --- brr!

Kathy~So great to hear from you.  Let us know what's going on with you, we'll give you a pass on the personals.  That's why I only post on one thread, it's a challenge to keep up sometimes!

Marie~The Disneyland race sounds like another amazing event.  Costumes --- hint???

Ran an easy 2.5 recovery miles today after yesterday's tempo run.   Planning a long run for tomorrow, since Sunday's weather prediction is for thunderstorms.  Take care all!

Quo Vadis?

Crazy Diamond

Wonderful running weather today ... mid 50's, overcast with a slight breeze for my 10 miler.  Picked up the last 20 minutes to HM goal speed to challenge myself.  Hopeful I'll be able to get in a bike ride before the thunderstorm roll in tomorrow.  Need to strengthen my weak quads.  Four hours of weeding in veg. and perennial beds --  enjoyable cross-training!Big grin   Can't wait to read AZ's train HM RR and so excited to read all about Ray's Marathon.  RUN STRONG!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra-  Nice job pushing it at the end of your 10 miler.    It was a good day for a run; I just didn't get out as early as I would have liked, so it was warming up by the time I finished my 13+ today.  I felt too tired to push to race pace so I ran past our driveway to the "big brother" of the hill I have conquered and did 30 sec "sprints" and walked back X3.  That did  me in!  Dead  I need to take a look at the Smart Coach program you mentioned and get a decision made soon.  Too much a procrastinator!

Have a great Sunday.

Dan

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

I so love spending some time reading through the posts for the week and catching up with all of you, my running friends. Sounds like everyone is staying busy, adjusting to challenges, and running strong.

Yesterday was a day of just that for me. Ran a local 5K which is a fast course and a young lady set a new course record of 16:22!  I was just a FEW minutes behind her LOL. But I did have a great race for me. I had hoped to break 30 min and as I approached the finish line the clock was 29....or so I thought. As I got closer I realized it was 28 something so ran hard and finished in  28:33. It it was good enough for 1st in AG. Would have even won the two age groups below me and been 3rd in the 45-49. Cool 62 out of 129 runners.  I had won registration fee for the event (still made donation) & won a nice door prize.  Good day!!

Yesterday was the 24th anniversary of my sister's passing, which is always an emotional day for me. She was my only sibling plus we were business partners, AND best friends. So I ran honoring her. She was very much like the lady the race is named for, both young, vibrant, and made a mark on this planet before earning their angel wings. She had 4 sisters, all of whom I know, plus her Mom there to support the cause. I could feel both of them running with me. Strange, but true. When I finished, I called my DD to share my joy, but she was crying. He beloved choc lab had just crossed the rainbow bridge. He was 10 and had always been her shadow. She too had acknowledged the significance of the day and felt it was a sign. Then, to make things even stranger, a picture from someone I do not even know showed up on my facebook. She had tagged one of my friends in a photo of my sister's high school top 10. There was my sister circa 1966, showing up on this day.  twi-light zone music playing. Just made me smile and thank God that he sends us signs that he is aware.

Mary Kay...you must do a Disney. They are way FUN! Don't go for time. Go for fun, have pics made w/ all the characters, and enjoy the sights. Debra... costumes? But of course! One of the races DD will be Snow White and I'll be the Evil Queen, apple and all!. The other race, she will be Alice and I will be Queen of Hearts. I ordered the costumes (except for her Snow White) on the cheap from a costume site and have a few alterations to make them comfortable running outfits, but I think they will be really cute.

Tony, glad to see you finally found us.

AZ tks for the reminder about tick and skeeter repellant. You continue to amaze and inspire me w/ all of your running.

Rich, what are some of the agility/speed drills you all do?

A big hi to Kathy, Dan & Ray!  Kathy, you have had an incredible spring series of races. Enjoy the summer.

Well got to get ready for church. May God bless all of you today and your running this week!

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Crazy Diamond

Marie~What an emotional day for you. (((hugs))) No amount of time can heal a heart broken by the loss of someone dear, but you honor your sister with your perseverance and joyful spirit.  Well done on your great 5k time and 1st in AG!  I want to go to Disney just to see you an DD run in your costumes.  Too much fun!  Are both races Labor Day weekend at Disneyland, or are you returning to WDW in January?  So sorry to hear of  the loss of DD's faithful companion.

Dan~Nice work on "big brother" hill, esp. after the 13+ miles!  You have been keeping your long runs at a significant distance since DCHM.  Are you sure you don't want to go for the FM on your birthday?  Wink  If you can get a copy of Brad Hudson's book, "Running Fast", DS1 has used the HM plan from it.  I just finished reading it and learned a lot.  I started reading Jack Daniels' Running Formula book last night.  So much great info to sift through.

To paraphrase Shakespeare ... "Weathermen were deceivers ever!"  Not a thundercloud or raindrop in site.  So I took advantage of it and went for an easy 4 miles with DS1.  We have a route where he runs the first and last miles with me, and then runs his extra 3+ miles while I'm running  my middle 2.  Pretty slow, huh?  Lots of families on the bike path enjoying a beautiful day!  Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Dan - Sounds like you had a great workout- well done!  I'm impressed that you had enough left in the tank to tackle the hill after 13 miles.

Marie - Congratulations on the 5k result!  An emotional day all around, and one that will remain a memory for you going forward.  You asked about the speed & agility drills my granddaughter and I ran last week.  We did straight sprints of various distances between 30 and 80 yards, sideways shuffle runs, backwards runs, "suicide" drills sprinting back and forth between 4 cones spaced 10 yards apart, and several sets of stair up-downs (2 stories).  It was a great workout to push lung capacity and to work muscles that we don't often get to while distance running.

AZ - Good job on your 10-miler.  Have you tried running stairs for strengthening the quads?  Seems to work well for me.

Headed out at 6:30 Saturday morning with DW on her bike for a planned 9 mile training run.  After about 4 miles, my left knee started complaining a bit, mostly likely due to the extra stresses from the speed & agility drills earlier in the week.  By mile 5 it was becoming uncomfortable enough to affect my form, so I cut it off at 6 miles and called it a day.  Rested Sunday from running activities, but got in a strength workout in the weight room.  Knee seems better today.  It's going to be a long day at work, so I won't get out for another run until tomorrow.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

I waited to post until I got my official time. Smile

Last minute change on Friday.  DH wanted me to have a good night’s rest and not be in a rush so early in the morning, (didn’t take much to convince me, LOL), so he made a hotel reservation!!  DH still surprises me just how thoughtful he is.  Smile  So we left Friday night.  Saturday morning, it was overcast, rain predicted later in the day, barely a breeze, temps around 45 degrees, slight chill in the air but overall, ideal conditions.  Had light breakfast.  We drove to the race site and picked up my race bib.  Kids’ race was taking place.  Temps around 55 degrees by then and rising, sun coming out, already getting warm and humid.  We talked to one of the runners who helped with the trail, “just a couple of areas” where wood chips were placed to soak up the water puddles, and some wood planks as a very small ‘bridge’ over one area that had more water.  Because it was a GUN time start at 8:15 am, I placed myself in the upper front ‘crowd’ of runners.

The 10.5K runners run the ‘loop’ once and they started with the HM runners who run the ‘loop’ twice.  The first half mile was mostly hard packed dirt, then turned grassy.  From mile 2 to about 3.5 mile, it had the most ‘hills,’ mostly soft dirt/grass.  Not steep by any means, and short but it was one after another.  Ran each of them, taking shorter strides.  I took one minute walk breaks every 2 miles and hydrating from my own Hammer Heed but also from the widely spaced water stations, which had water and powerade.  Made mental note of where they were for my second loop.  From mile 4-6, I got in ‘the zone’ as it was such a nice feeling running through the trees, along a portion of a pond, running at a faster pace than I should have been. Confused Mostly flat except for the ‘biggest hill’ right before mile 6, not steep but longer than all the others.  Took half of the hammer gel.  The last half mile of the loop is partly paved then hard packed dirt to the ‘finish,’ I checked my time and it read 1:03 where all the 10.5K runners were finishing.  I already knew I ran the first loop too fast considering the temps/humidity, and I could feel the difficulty in breathing, and a very runny nose too.  My goodness!!

Was surprised but happy to hear/see DH, thought he would be at a coffee shop and he did mention he may wash the truck. Joking

Second loop, less runners, and sun is out and you can feel the higher temp and humidity by mile 8.  I passed many runners slowing down and some walking especially the ‘hills.’  By mile 9, I felt like I couldn’t breath.  I slowed down my pace to about 10:30, took a 30 second walk break every 2 minutes to mile 10, where I gave my hydration belt to a bystander.  I knew the last water/powerade station was just pass mile 11 and I could make it.   I been pacing a father/son runners after mile 9, and was surprised that I was actually passing other runners despite the state I was in, and caught up with the father/son runners.  Took the other half of the Hammer gel by mile 10.  After the last ‘hill,’ trail flattened out, drank powerade, and planned on picking up my pace from mile 11 to the finish.  I couldn’t believe I got a side cramp a few minute later!!  Are you kidding me?!?  Tight lips Confused Took a 30 second walk break, took deep slow breaths while massaging the area, stayed at slower pace again.  Damn it!!  Finally reached mile 12.  Legs feeling good but breathing is very laborious.  A younger couple passed me and I just paced them, we talked for a few seconds.  This was her first HM and he is training for a FM.  We passed the father/son runners who then passed all of us about the last 100 yrds towards the finish line.  I followed the couple who picked up their pace too although I could have passed them, I just stayed right behind them to the finish.

According to my garmin:  average pace was 9:58, ‘best pace’:  6:39 ….. only in my dreams!!  LOL!!  must have been down those ‘hills’ ……… no way I was running that ‘fast’ at any point!!

My official finish time: 2:10:47.

Placed 63/123 overall HM runners.

Placed 28/68 overall female HM runners.

Placed 1/4 in the 50-59 age group.  So I got 1st in my AG!!  Unbelievable, SmileJoking.

But a 60 yr old female BEAT me by about 4 or 5 minutes!!!  Humbling but always happy to see that!  Good for her!! Big grin

Me again:  Big grin

The awards were given in the ‘basement’ of the arboretum, with all the snacks.  The ‘medals’ are made out of wood.  DH liked the ‘wood chip’ award, LOL!!

Overall, it was a good small race event.  The high reached about 72 degrees, humidity in the 80s!!  Very personable people/runners so we were talking to many of them after the race.  Got my hydration belt from the bystander along the course. Kids wanted to pet and take a picture of our dog, Odie.  He loves the attention.

Honestly, not to sound snooty or haughty, it’s not a ‘trail’ race like what I’m use to in AZ/CO/NM.   Although I was kinda disappointed, it sure beats running a paved course!! The entire race is in the arboretum so the ‘trail’ was very well groomed and maintained, nothing ‘technical’ about it.  The short ‘hills’ were not hard for me (but for many of the runners, they couldn’t stop talking about them) as my legs felt like it could run a couple more miles, but the humidity just kills me!!  It makes it so much tougher than it should be.  Just like the Fargo event, I just couldn’t breathe; the air is so ‘heavy’ and I could feel my heart pounding through my chest!  It’s scary for me and frustrating.  I thought I was more acclimated by now; guess not.  I really need to regulate that better the more I run here.

Felt good yesterday.   Just rested and drank some red wine and ate.  Darn it, Spurs lost Sad ..... drank again and ate, Wink Clown

Been looking for another HM and the only close one is on July 20th.

So far I've run 5 HMs since January with 3 of the HMs in 5 weeks.

Next race:  might run the nearby 10K on July 4th