50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

justrundan

AZ- Nice job on the 1st in AG!   It isn't close, but if you want a more difficult trail HM, look at this one in my backyard!

http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_wisconsin_dwd_devils_lake_half_marathon.html

This won't be anything like in AZ or NM, but it's pretty challenging. You can run anything from 10K to 50 miles!  Very scenic, goes through the most visited state park in Wi, but in areas not highly populated by tourists.  The manager at our office (about half my age) is doing the HM with some friends.  It's the day after DW's wedding, so I'm occupied.  Smile

I know what you are saying about the humidity!  Not a friend of runners.

Debra-  I might consider doing the FM @ Fox Cities, but the wedding and India trip are making training time more difficult to find.  Already thinking about it for next year though.  We'll see what life brings.

Marie- what an emotional day you had.  You are right, God shows us he remembers too.

Rich- hope the knee is ready for your run tomorrow!

Have a great week running friends!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Way to go AG winner!  You did an outstanding job dealing with the humidity,  Not only did winter hang on forever this spring, but we rolled into the Midwest "muggies" right away.  Love your description of the race, and the wood AG "medals" sound kinda cool.  The race Dan suggested is in a state park that is worth the trip just to see the beautiful rock formations.

Dan~You certainly have a busy summer with the India trip and DD's wedding and training for your birthday HM!  The LRC sponsors weekly build-up runs for the Lakefront FM during the summer.  It is free of charge, and they supply water/gatorade stations.  I've signed up for a few dates to assist at the aid stations, and hopefully gather a lot of wisdom from the marathoners.

Rich~Hope you had a pain-free run!  Back to hill sprints today, thanks for the reminder!Smile

Ray~Ooops! I was one week off on your Marathon!  I hope your taper is going well, and DS is recovered from the *ouch* fall!

Marie~Love your new photo -- Super cute!  Hey, we're sorta "matchy-matchy" with our white hats, blue tops & black skirt/shorts!Big grin

Tough 3 miles + 3 x 8 sec. hill sprints this morning.   My new route has a few nice hills to tackle every mid-mile, so decided to add the sprints and use the down hills as recovery.  Yesterday DS2 and I got in a 10 mile bike ride for some cross-training.  Parts of the bike path remains under water, so we had to do a bit of off-roading.  Fun!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Before it got too humid and more breezy, I was out the door by 10 am after getting some work done.

Ran the 1 one on the dirt portion of the frontage road, got to trail and ran back and forth for 4 miles, and ran home the last mile.

Finished 6.25 miles, 'recovery' pace, 1:08. YAY~~

Dan:  I would if I could on the devils lake HM; sounds like fun!  I can relate to the lack of training runs due to life's interruptions, but yours sounds like it's more enjoyable and joyous (India trip and wedding).

Marie:  Your memories seem to soothe the soul, and cherish them even more.

Rich:  how was the run with the knee problem?

Ray:  Hope DS is better.  Gosh, trying to keep up with you can be hazardous, haha!!  I'm really looking forward to your RR on the marathon!!  I know you will rock it, you are so ready!!

Debra:  Don't you just love those hill repeats/sprints?!? haha!!  Sounds like you are having great workouts/X-training!!

Stay safe, run safe everyone!!

WDWRich

Hi All!

Ran 4 miles on Tuesday morning.  Took it easy for the first mile just to see how the knee would feel.  No issues, so I kicked it up to race pace for the remaining 3 miles with no problems.  Smile

Will run some hills when I get home from work today, weight room tomorrow and a long run on Saturday.  Still looking for a race for July.  Some family members and friends are running the Chargers 5k on the 21st.  I'd prefer at least a 10k, but might do the 5k with them just for fun.

Cheers,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

I hope all are safe after the storms blew thru the Midwest and to the East Coast last evening!

AZ~Great getting out there for your 6 miles!  "Ran back and forth on the trail "-- any way you can get it done!

Rich~Hurray, no knee pain!!  Sometimes those 5k runs with friends & family are just what you need.  Remember -- Running is supposed to be FUN!

Summer training/logging miles for HS Cross Country has begun for DS2, so that means getting him out to run 3 - 5 miles every day!  His schedule does not gel with my schedule, though.  55 yr old: wakes up at 5:30am, 14 yr. old: wakes up at 9:30am, after numerous alarm clock buzzings!  I had speed-work on the schedule, so we headed down the bike path to the community track.  We started off with 1 easy mile on the path, he continued for another 2 miles on the wooded trail and I hopped on the track for 3 x 1600 @ 9:20 w/ 800 recovery.  The middle of the day would not be my first choice for a track workout, but *violins playing* parents do sacrifice for their children, don't they?  Absolutely sweltering on the track.  It was tough, but got it done!  He did 5 striders while I finished my final recovery run, and then joined me for a very slow 1+ mile back to the village. We stopped at the frozen yogurt bar for a treat after all our hard work. Yummy & refreshing!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Hi, Y'all! Everyone is accomplishing such good progress; it's so inspiring!!

Debra - Nice sprints and xtraining! You will be so ready for your HMs!! Can't believe you're running 3!! Sounds like a good reason for some new clothes or gear? Must be building quite a lot of muscle!! Love that you and DS2 are sharing these exercise times!! He's the perfect age for that last bit of parental love. Girlfriend, your times are amazing!! Those 9 mm paces are good enough to win your AG in races here. So jealous!

My stepson's child passed about a week ago from leukemia. They are having his memorial service today in Vallejo. Was invited but DD asked me not to go and I think she was right. Ex's DW1 is there. It's nice seeing DD enjoy time with her brothers and father (she's posting pix on fb) but so hard to deal with the pain and they have a way of adding toxic drama. I hate to say it but am glad to be otherwise out of that family.

Rich - YaY for the pain free 4 mi! San Diego in July? Do they have night races? Running with your granddaughter, priceless!! Good luck with your runs this weekend!

AZ - Nice trail 6.25! I think of Cincinnati as living in the Midwest and not the South but your weather is very different from ours! Glad you're acclimating!

Dan - So it's now "DW's wedding?" ahhahahah! Have you found a race yet? I know you can kill that PR!!

Ray - So nasty about DS's fall!! Have a Greeeaaaatt Race!!!

Marie - Congratulations on your AG win and awesome, awesome time!!! What a great day for you!! Some things are just meant to be! Amazing about your sister's memory and all the reminders that came to you! Thank you for sharing that!! We will need pix of those costumes (with you in them ).

I am trying to pick up some speed for my shorter races and to be able to run with groups. Going book shopping for the Hanson's method and Debra, I'll buy Running Fast because it sure seems to be working for you! Have been running daily for the last two weeks but only short runs. I seem to lose steam right after 3.5 no matter how slow I go so long runs have been more like hikes. So frustrating!! I would be patient but have registered for Chicago Women's HM on June 23rd. Need at least one long run before "taper" Fridays are my rest day so xtraining with the mower today. Grrrr.

Run happy and safe, my friends!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

No run today ........ was planning on it but had dinner with colleagues, and networking.  DH and I are volunteering our dental services for the annual MN Mission of Mercy (MOM) event.  Took all day from 5:30 am to 5 pm, again tomorrow but for half day.  Patients grateful and work is satisfying but always sad how many people are in need for dental work especially kids. Hope to run for an hour tomorrow before driving down to Fargo for the weekend.  So humid here and the 'skeeters' are all out in force each evening, yikes!!  But really, my 'excuse' is that I can take a 'rest day' here and there for a week b/c I ran 3 HMs in 5 wks!!  Tell me it's a good excuse/reason!!  Big grinWink

Debra:  WOW!! So impressed that you are keeping up with DS 'schedule' but I can understand the not syncing in with a teen's time table, but you are one tough momma!!  GOOD JOB!!

mkayc:  You are doing great!!!  Wishing you the best of luck at the Chicago's Women's HM, closest HM I have is on July 20th ......... not sure if I will run it ............

Rich:  so glad your knee kept up with your training run!!  For me, 5ks and 10ks are 'for fun' (you have the right and smart attitude about it for July) and to gauge my 'stamina' BUT I HAVE TO WORK AT IT!!  Most of the times, it's a 'alot' of $$ for a 'short race' so I don't run those 'sprints' too often (I'm not a sprinter by any means) although I can run 5ks under 30 min. and 10ks under an hour, I just prefer 'longer distances.'  That may change as I 'mature.'  Wink  Good Luck on your 5k and do have FUN!!

Ray:  How is DS?  I am very excited about your FM!!  Wishing you a safe race!!

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Thinking of you and hopeful you are running strong today.  Looking forward to reading your Marathon RR when you are ready to share.

Mary Kay~I'm so sorry for your family's tragic loss.  I HATE cancer, especially when it affects children.  All the best to you running Chi-town next Saturday.  You are going to be great!  Big grin

AZ~Bless you for all the work you & DH do offering your dental services!  My DN traveled to Guatemala last year through the Rotary Club to assist with dental checks and procedures.  Very rewarding work!

Whew!  Hot, humid and I should have gotten out A LOT earlier than 8am for a 11 mile run.  Couldn't use the shady path due to flooding from last evening's 2" rain storm.  It was already 73 degrees and 69% humidity so I took it super easy, with plenty of walk breaks.  So thankful to DH for spending his Father's Day morning on his bike carrying water and sharing those encouraging words when I needed it!  Thoroughly enjoyed  mimosas as we relaxed in our shady garden when we returned!

Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there.  Run strong friends!  Cool

Quo Vadis?

Hope all you Dads are having special days!! We thank you!!

Got up early Saturday and made it to the Mojo run. Met the run/walk ladies that PH (his initials, not a new acronym), who owns Mojo, has been telling me about since January. They were very nice about letting me tag along. I was able to keep up for 2.6 but even with a 1:1, they were leaving me in the dust and chatting nonstop the whole way so I broke off and ran 5.6. The first three miles, even with my lazy pace on the turnaround, were a PR (35:39) so that was exciting but very annoying to know I had it in me and didn't dig deep enough. I wasn't looking at the time or mileage but knew I was tiring early. Even so, the time was a big surprise!! Group payoff! The BEST part of Mojo Saturday runs are these great cookies someone bakes. I haven't been eating sweets for the last five weeks so they tasted especially good! They're called Bob's BA cookies, as in "Big Ass." I'll get the recipe and share because, and I don't say this often, if you make these, it will be worth your time.

Up early again this morning and was on the road by 8:30 for a sweet rain run. No yurbuds so listened to the morning sounds on the side streets. Nice! May try that more. Easy pace with no hills, just ups and downs. I could have gone longer but was getting cold and it reminded me too much of hours 3-7 of the Pig so I let myself quit.

I'm a little worried about this HM next Sunday (yikes) since I've been running so short. I was not prepared for such a long race recovery from the marathon. Well, the worst that can happen? I'll walk a lot. It's in Chicago which I've never seen outside the airport so it should still be fun. Thinking of leaving work early tomorrow or Tuesday and trying for a long run. Am reading Born to Run, Run Faster (Brad Hudson) and Marathon Method (Hansons) along with a diet book all at the same time, depending on my mood. Hehehehe. Question for you guys, if I don't have time for a long run before my HM, would it be just as good or almost as good to do two mid-length runs that come close to equaling the long distance in the same day?

Az - Wow! You really are far North!

Debra -  Thanks for the good wishes!! From your lips to ..... Amazing 11 miles!! Hot and humid before 8 am?  That's rough!!  So thoughtful  of DH to ride along!! Mimosas sound like a grand idea!! 

Run strong and safe, all!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

rmcj001

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  It really does mean a lot.

So, calf became more of a problem and spent latter half of the week just trying to heal the calf.  Fortunately, it wasn't the problem it might have been...

Saturday we picked up numbers and shirts.  1/2 marathoners got a reasonable aqua long sleeve shirt.  Marathoners got an eye searing yellow thing that fit none in my family well.  Just felt wrong.  Oh, well - don't have to wear it.

Got up at 4am to get out of the house and up to SF 1/2 hour before our wave start.  Didn't get out of the house until 4:45am.  Made wrong turn when we got there and missed normal parking garage, plus side found street parking for free!  Only 20 minutes before our wave start so son and I warm up jogging to start.  Find checking station check sweats.  Son needs to use port-a-potty, fortunately the ones in the corral are not too crowded.  Get done 3 minutes before start.  Weather is mid 50s, but highs are supposed to be in the 70s later.  The announcer says go and we're off.

First 3 miles are nice and flat and we're slowly moving through the runners.  Hit the first hill just pas the Maritime museum and then into the Presidio and then up to the Golden Gate bridge and then back (miles 4-9).  We're moving pretty well through this even tho there were hills.  Then we hit biggest hill on the course as you wind your way through the western edge of the Presidio into Golden Gate park where you hit the half way point.  We hit the 1st half in 1:53+.  Given the hills this might have been a bit to fast, but still had hope of trying to hit the BQ time of 3:40 - sometimes you need to dream big, but today wasn't the day.  We now winding through GG park and sharing some chomps.   At mile 15 son needs another potty break - we now hoping for 3:50, so no problem.  Find port-a-potty around mile 17.  I'm walking ahead, until I see photographer - gotta run and smile.  Son catches up and we continue on at 18.5 he says "Dad, I just hit the wall."  He's a trooper and we continue on, but we're slowing down.  At mile 20 we hit the last gel station, son grabs 2 gu's and some chomps, I gab some chomps.  Son downs the gu's and the chomps in the next 1/2 mile.  I'm eating my chomps slowly.  At mile 21 there's pretzels and grabs a couple.  By mile 22 he's starting to cramp up.  3:50 is out the window.  The 3:55 group pass us and now I need to decide if I'm going to stay with son or go for a PR.  We still in contact until mile 23 when he slows a bit more.  We running through an industrial part heading to the Bay.  Next its on to AT&T Park and around the back past McCovey cove.  The sun's been out for awhile and quite a few runners are walking.  2nd half marathoners are zipping by as we wind our way back down the Embarcadero and under the Bay Bridge.  I see the finish and try to do some semblance of a sprint.  I'm pass a couple of runners and just as I'm pass the first of the two timing strips I feel someone coming and kick out the final 3 steps to make sure they don't catch me.  Official time 3:58:29.  Grabbed a water and waited near the finish line for son, he came in at 4:04:34.  Grabbed food, drinks, checked bags.  Wife came in at 4:25 grabbed her and headed to the car.  A good day for all.

Ray

justrundan

Ray- nice race report and GREAT race. You hung with your son a long time- what would we expect on Father's day!  Amazing time despite thos difficulties-in my dreams!  Now go rest up!

AZ- so great of you to do that work with the MOM event!  I work with quite a lot of poor, young adults in the addiction work I do, and dental work and getting access if so tough for them.  Kudos!

Debra- you're right about the temp/humidity. It's hitting us early.  No shaded places to run close to our home, may have to head to the state park like I did last summer for my long runs.  I did get "Run Faster" at the library, so I hope to read it soon.  Took a glance at the plans, and they call for 6 days of running, which is tough for me to get with any regularity.  If I use that I'll just have to drop a day each week.

Mary Kay- Yes, definitely we want the cookie recipe!  Smile

Ran a local 5K race at the last minute yesterday. I was waiting on the weather as thunderstorms were forecast.  They ended in time so I got there early and registered on site for the Block the Sun Run, now in 7th year as fund raiser for melanoma research.  Started in memory of a local man who died of melanoma 15 years after having the original tumor removed.  I then did a longer warm up than usual.  One of the other here asked that questions, "how much do you warm up before a race?", and most did 2-3 miles before a 5K.  Ended up doing 2.7 before hitting the on site BR's and heading for the starting line.  As I waited near the front I looked around to size up the competition.   The fellow standing next to me looked about my age, but looked in good shape.  Then he turned around and faced me.  I'm wearing a Gander Mountain cap, and he's wearing a cap that says "Boston '05"  !! Shocked  And I don't think he bought if off E-bay!

I had planned on aiming for negative splits, like 9:30 mile 1, 9:00 mile 2, and 8:30 mile 3.  It was chip timed only at the finish, so when the gun went off everyone's clock started ticking.  It was a mostly flat course, with a few slight grades.  I started near the front to negate the delay and soon found myself being passed by everyone and his little brother.  After a while I thought, am I every going to pass anyone?  First mile was 9:21, so felt good about that.  Started passing a few folks during mile 2, and hit that @ 9:03, still good.  Last 1.1 started feeling really laboring, and walked about 15 seconds after topping a small rise.  Pushed on and passed some more folks.  At the last turn I tried pushing harder (painted on the pavement: RUN FASTER, PEOPLE ARE WATCHING!) and had a little bit of a sprint left.  Hit the stop on my Garmin as I crossed the finish line and kept walking, 27:27 final time.  Last 1.1 pace was 8:35.  That's about 3 minutes faster than I did this race last year, and over 2 minutes better than previous PR.  Very happy with that.  Then, the biggest surprise, when I checked the finish report I got 2nd in AG.  finished 88/202, 55/79 males.  The winner was a 15 y/o who finished in 16:54!    I can't get cocky about the 2AG finish; if I'd already turned 60, I would have been 7th!!  Some fast older guys there!  All in all a good morning.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Congratulations and it certainly was a memorable Father's Day for you! Big grin Thanks for taking us along on your marathon with the great RR.

Dan~Way-to-go ...three minutes improvement over last year is HUGE!  Shocked Congrats on the 2nd/AG, too.  I'm thinking pre-race warm ups will now become your routine, right?

Mary Kay~I don't know much about breaking up a long run (see below).  Due to a lot of family obligations the few weeks before my HM in May, I necessarily had to cut back my scheduled LSDs from 13 miles to 10 miles.  I tried to make them quality by running easy for 8 and then pushing the pace the final 2 - 3 miles.  You mentioned running every day (WTG!), has this increased your weekly mileage or spread it out over the week?  I think you'll be fine Mary Kay. Smile   Probably not going to PR, but enjoy exploring Chicago and being with your fellow running sisters.  Wish I could join you @ Gino's East for some deep dish pizza!

Late afternoon yesterday DSs decide to go out for a run and asked if I wanted to tag along.  Mmm?  I ran 11 miles 6 hours earlier ... felt rested, sure why not!  Slogged for 2 miles while they got in their 3/6 miles.  Probably not a wise move! Dead

Have a great week everyone.  Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Ray - Great Father's day race with your son!  Congrats, and thanks for the excellent race report.  Glad the calf wasn't holding you back.

Dan - Well done on the 5k!  A three-minute improvement at our age is fantastic.  I turn 60 later this year too, and I'm seeing some stiff competition in that next AG.

AZ - It's wonderful that you and DH are volunteering your services.  Thank you for that.

Mary Kay - Trust in the training you have been doing and just run/walk your pace in the HM next week.  I'm sure you'll get'r done!

Deb - I know how it feels to have the spouse bike along on the runs.  DW usually gets out with me on long runs and it's wonderful having the company.

Got out early Saturday morning for a planned 10 mile run.  DW was having some muscular spasms in the lower back so she opted out of biking this time in favor of staying home to do some stretching and light calisthenics.  I felt a bit of stiffness in my left knee this morning, so decided to try some run/walk intervals.  Ran the first mile normally, then ran the next 8 using a 5 min run / 1 min walk interval.  Felt ok but different since I haven't done the run/walk intervals before. Was feeling fine by the 9 mile point, so I abandoned the intervals and pushed up to race speed for the last mile.  I'm not sure if I like the intervals, but realize that at some point in my life they may be the ticket to continuing the long races.  I just don't think I'm there quite yet Smile

Have a good week everyone!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Rich- you are right!  Turning 60 won't do us a lot of good.  Good runners get older and keep on running!

Debra- I've always tried a little warm up before 5 or 10 K runs before, but nothing like 2-3 miles.  I do notice when I'm on a longer run that I feel better after about mile 3.

DW & I had a fantastic day celebrating our 35th anniversary today.  I ran 6.5 while she biked 10, then after breakfast and some chores we hopped on the cycle and rode to Wildcat Mountain State Park, near Ontario WI.  It's in the Kickapoo river valley area, but it's about 400 ft above the valley.  Incredible views.  We at a picnic lunch and relaxed on a blanket, doing some light reading (the Run  Faster book was there!)  After the ride home (100 miles round trip, about her limit on the motorcycle) we rested a bit and then I grilled chicken and corn on the cob while she made a salad and sweet potato.  Will we ever sleep well tonight!

Great week to all.

Dan

Ray:  CONGRATS!! replied to your RR on other post.

Rich:  It takes some getting use to when incorporating 'walk breaks' in your runs but they shouldn't be confused with 'intervals' which is more about speed/stamina.  I take walk breaks in my training runs and races but I have modified it according to my fitness level.  However, I have found it to be more of a lifesaver while acclimating to the heat/humidity combo since moving to midwest.  If you have some time, read about 'run/walk' training plan according to Jeff Galloway.  Just my two cents.

Dan: JUST AWESOME on the AG win!!!  It is humbling when runners in the next older AG are finishing before you!!! TELL ME ABOUT IT!! I love it though!! You did great!!

Ran a tough 8.1 miles, 1:24!! Kept it at a comfortable pace but it felt much more laborious than it should have been.  Ran my 'trail' and also ran on a dirt road that DH found and ride his dirt bike on.  Took one minute walk breaks every 2 miles, which helped but calves/quads still feels tired and sore!! So frustrating!  Humidity is making it difficult, I know but I thought I would be acclimated by now. Too much running/racing?!?  Need to rest more?!? or more much easier, long runs???  Any thoughts anyone??? Will see how the week goes.