50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

WDWRich

Dan - Congratulations on the 35th anniversary.  DW and I celebrated our 39th this past weekend.

AZ - Thanks for the tips. I looked at the Galloway plan quite a while ago.  Perhaps I'll give it another look.

Plan to do either some hills or speed work today after work.  Forecast says it should be sunny with tempsin the mid to upper 70s.  Not too bad, but as the summer rolls in, I'm thinking I should plan to do my weekday runs in the morning before work.  Just got to get my butt out of bed early enough to do so.  Roll eyes

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Mary Kay - Trust in the training you have been doing and just run/walk your pace in the HM next week.  I'm sure you'll get'r done!

....Felt ok but different since I haven't done the run/walk intervals before. Was feeling fine by the 9 mile point, so I abandoned the intervals and pushed up to race speed for the last mile.  I'm not sure if I like the intervals, but realize that at some point in my life they may be the ticket to continuing the long races.  I just don't think I'm there quite yet Smile

Rich - thanks!! I needed to hear that.

It's possible to go back and forth between intervals and running but it's hard. I think it's a HR issue but it could be mental and physical. When I did my HR training, it felt great to settle into a single pace and i swore I would work to avoid intervals for at least the first three miles of all my runs. Then spring allergies set in and, combined with my need for speed, I have to use intervals or stay at 15 mm pace (or 16mm for longer than HM). I'm hoping at some point to get back to running the first three miles once I can settle into a 10mm pace. This is all a long way of saying you may be years from needing to use intervals for age/ health purposes. Of course, this depends on the wear and tear your body has taken up to this point. Interval running will better protect against repetitive use injuries, It's an adjustment but you can move from one method to the other.

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

Rich- you are right!  Turning 60 won't do us a lot of good.  Good runners get older and keep on running!

Debra- I've always tried a little warm up before 5 or 10 K runs before, but nothing like 2-3 miles.  I do notice when I'm on a longer run that I feel better after about mile 3.

DW & I had a fantastic day celebrating our 35th anniversary today.  I ran 6.5 while she biked 10, then after breakfast and some chores we hopped on the cycle and rode to Wildcat Mountain State Park, near Ontario WI.  It's in the Kickapoo river valley area, but it's about 400 ft above the valley.  Incredible views.  We at a picnic lunch and relaxed on a blanket, doing some light reading (the Run  Faster book was there!)  After the ride home (100 miles round trip, about her limit on the motorcycle) we rested a bit and then I grilled chicken and corn on the cob while she made a salad and sweet potato.  Will we ever sleep well tonight!

Great week to all.

Dan:  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!  Smile  What a beautiful and lovely way to celebrate it!!  The area sounds like a charming place and the ride offered marvelous sights along the way.  That is my kind of day for 'anything.'  I love riding my harley, picnics in the park, and just relaxing with a book Big grin.  DH and I need to schedule a day/weekend ride on our bikes, we shouldn't be 'too busy' to find time to ride, right?

You know, Dan, the longer the distance that I become conditioned to, the longer it takes me to 'warm up' .......... so it doesn't surprise me that you 'had' to run a couple of miles prior to a sprint especially.  It's one of the reasons why I need to NOT neglect intervals in my training runs; the longer (intervals), the better especially now as I am starting my FM training for Oct.  I tend to be lazy about them.  And, I have noticed that more 'mature' runners tend to run 5ks and 10ks more.  They tell me it's just 'easier' on their bodies after 'years' of running, and you can tell those who have been running for years ........... they have learned HOW to race, I'm amazed by them!!

mkayc:  Excited about your HM in Chicago!!  The 'longest' training run should be a week prior to your race (from what I understand).  The rest should be short (4-8 miles, for HM) and easy.  Trying to run long days before a race is like cramming for a big exam, usually resulting in small benefits with higher risk of injury.  The best advice I got from a seasoned runner was to take walk breaks at a specified distance (not when you get tired), it does allow for 'faster' pace each time you resume, and a stronger finish.  I agree with Rich, trust your training, you are becoming a much more 'experienced' runner, and remember you just ran a FM, run smart and safe.

Wasn't done commenting on all the great runs and times you guys are recording!

Az - Interesting to hear about your observation, that the longer distance runners require longer distance to warm up. I'm still learning this part. I don't warm up for races and don't know what it would feel like to be sufficiently warmed up. I'll start trying to pay attention. Thanks!!

Nice job pushing through your tough 8 mi. run and great time despite the struggle. Rough about your quads squawking! I'd guess your struggles might be related to all your racing or just the last HM added so soon after the one before it. Massage? thought it was a great suggestion when you made it to me!!

Debra - Thank you for the book and pizza suggestions!! I suspect Run Faster is going to be my new running bible because I so need a coach and it has such a thorough approach. Kudos for your double, even if it was a slog!!!

Ray - Loved your RR, particularly the mental trip through SF. I know that had to be a hilly race!! Thanks for taking us through that!! Great family event!! Congratulations on your fan-tas-tic times!!!

Dan - Great job on the PR and 2d place AG in your 5k!! What a wonderful anniversary celebration!! Way nicer than dressing up and eating fancy for beaucoup bucks!!!

Mary Kay

BTW - AZ, I appreciate your advice on the walk breaks and race approach. I've given up on the long run after yesterday's fiasco and am just moving into a modified taper. I'm acing the eating part and will ease up on my runs. I was trying to adjust to running 6 days a week and this is only the third week. Am not happy to mess with that plan because it's important for my fall training so I'll just treat this HM as race pace and training and enjoy the trip. I'll be the medal will be worth it, given that it'll be designed just for women. Ahhhhh. I'm betting the hardest part is going to be returning to 6 days a week after the race! Eh, so who says I have to enjoy every moment?

Mary Kay

justrundan

MaryKay- I agree with AZ, the walk breaks at regular intervals, before you get too tired, really help.  you can push the pace for 2-3-4 minutes, walk for a minute and still end up with a decent overall pace.

AZ- unfortunately, WAY too easy for things to get in the way of a good ride.  (Running has actually taken some of that time in the last 2 1/2 years).  Question re: the intervals for your longer distance training.  How long is your interval and how do you use them (how many/pace,etc). re: the struggles with that last run, wonder if you may just need a week of lower miles/lower intensity runs to let your body recover.?

Rich- congrats on the 39!!  Way to go!

After pushing on 6.5 Monday the legs didn't feel so good on the 4 miler this morning.  Good thing tomorrow is a rest day. Sleepy

Dan

rmcj001

Dan - Rest days are nice. Especially when you're a bit worn down.

MK -  There are SO many different methods.  We're all an experiment of 1 and need to find what works for us.  Embrace the journey.

AZ -  I think it is easy to get down when things aren't going well.  Occasionally you gotta say yesterday was bad, but today will better and just believe it is.  Sometimes it even works! Smile  Rest works for the psyche too.

Rich - Nice 10 miler in there!  Personally, I try to embrace the heat and usually run between 12-2pm.  You don't need to go as fast to get the same work in Wink

Gito - Your kid asks you to go on run?  How lucky!  I have to ask wife and son.  Nice double.

Did a walk yesterday about 3 miles with wife to food trucks for dinner.  Her foot is very sore, so didn't have to walk so fast, yes!

5 mile in between run today (43:30).  It felt really nice to be out today and probably overdid it a bit.  Canada geese were everywhere with lots of goslings (not to mention lots of turds to avoid Angry).  A couple of crows chasing a redtail hawk as well.

Ray

Hiya! Well get back with you later. Just an FYI that I posted cookie recipe on the Forum.

Mary Kay

Hi all:

I feel it’s the heat/humidity combo that is getting me beat here and I have been reading a lot on how to make adjustments.  I am going to focus more on my effort level so to condition/acclimate my body to become more efficient at cooling itself.  I think it will be better than focusing on pace.  My hope is that it will continue to maintain my fitness level without feeling burnout (rather ‘burnt- out), haha!!

Pretty cloudy today, breezy, about 62 degrees, threat of rain sometime today/tomorrow so I was out the door by 8 am, yippee!!  Ran my usual trail, taking a walk break after every mile, slow and easy.  Didn’t push myself, avoided looking at pace/mile on garmin, hydrated during walk break.  A few rain sprinkles, NICE!!  Can’t believe I finished 9 miles, 1:41.  Jogged another ¼ mile with dog, stretches/foam roller.   Feeling great!!  Taking it one day at a time!!

Stay cool and run safe!!

Game 7:  Spurs in MIami.  Hope it's a nailbiter to the end!!  GO SPURS GO!!

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Belated Happy 35th Anniversary to you and Bobbie!  What a lovely day you spent together.

Rich~Belated Happy 39th Anniversary to you and your bride, too!  Always tough to get out  of a nice, comfortable bed to run before work, but aren't you glad you did when the mercury starts to climb!

MaryKay~Safe travels to/from Chicago for your HM.  Run strong, enjoy the experience and looking forward to reading your RR.  Thanks for the yummy cookie recipe.  Going to bake up a batch for our upcoming camping trip.  Can't wait to try one ... or two ... or three!

Ray~Bet it felt great to shake out all the kinks with your 6 miler after your awesome Marathon on Sunday.  Funny, DH and I saw a few Starlings picking a fight with a Red-tailed hawk during my Sunday long run.  Just protecting the hatchlings I guess.

AZ~WTG on the 9 miles AND feeling great!  Great advice on taking it easy and running by effort, not pace.  Maybe I'll remove "pace " off of the Garmin field display.  I am a chronic pace watcher, ugh!

Waited until early evening to run 6 mile Tempo on the shady bike trail.  So nice to run on dirt/crushed stone for a change now that the path has dried up.  It was still very wet and swampy last Sunday.  Midges and skeeters buzzing in the wooded areas, but not bothersome.  Doe and fawn crossed 10 ft. in front of me at mile 2.  Turkey vultures nesting & squawking on the Lannon stone cliffs above the ponds of the quarry at the turnaround.  Nice run.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hi everybody! After my fall and wrist sprain back on April 14th I took a break from running. Thanks for all your supporting advice! I had to wear wrist braces for several weeks and had to get a special accommodations to  return to work since I had limited lifting abilities. I did have a weeks vacation in the first week of May and used it to rebuild the raised beds in my garden, the wood sides had rotted away after 10 years. I thought I would finish this in 2 days, but it took me 5. I did make improvements on the design. I wore my braces while doing all the work. While I was seeing the orthopedic doctor I had him x-ray my left big toe which has been sore and slightly swollen and he found severe arthritis, like bone on bone. He gave me a cortisone injection to help it and said it should not affect my running as long as I was not a sprinter. I also suffered a sore throat and some congestion at this time - note that I have thought that working up a sweat in my runs helps to kill off viruses and maybe I would not have been sick if I was still running. Meanwhile, I still had to finish up planting my garden and decided to do that before resuming running. So it was not until June 4th that I started running again. Now in April there was still icy conditions so it was a switch to now have 70 plus temp. and see leaves on all the trees! Fortunately, I had now set up the pool so I can cool off with a dip after my run.  Too bad I missed some of my favorite running in the early spring runs when the weather just starts to get warm and you start to see some color. I was not sure how much I had lost, it being a lull of 50 days without a run, but after a few short runs I did a 7.37 mile run on the 7th without any problems. I had my birthday on the 18th and am now 62! I was too busy for my long run last week, but yesterday, the 20th, I did my 8.8 mile run. I was not very fast, taking about 2 hours to finish, a 13:40 pace (back in April I ran the same course in 1:33:31, a 10:37 pace). However, I am glad I was able to do the course and expect to regain my speed as I do more longer runs. I plan to try a 10 mile course perhaps next week and will try to catch up to where I was back in late March and early April when I had some 40 mile weeks and did a 13.14 mile run.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

WDWRich

Altair - Glad you're doing better and have been able to get back to running.  I'll bet you'll see steady progress in getting back to your previous running pace- just give it a bit of time and you'll get there.  Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Altair- welcome back.  Glad your feeling better and back to running.  Enjoy the summer runs & races.

MaryKay- safe travels!  Enjoy Chicago and enjoy the race.  Soak it all in!

AZ- although I'm not a big NBA fan, I've always appreciated the Spurs and how they go about their work, and have admired them from the days of David Robinson.  So tough!!  I'm in the ABL club. Anyone But Lebron.

Debra- you have such a nice area to run for being in the city.  Enjoy.

I'm being extra lazy about picking a plan and getting at it for the September HM.  Maybe this weekend. DS&DIL here this weekend, he and I may do hospital sponsored 5K tomorrow if the thunderstorms stay away.  DS & her fiancee coming Sunday, having early celebration of 4 birthdays and late Father's day celebration.

Have a great weekend running friends.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

MaryKay~Thinking of you during my hot & sticky run this morning.  If memory serves, I remember your HM route is along Lake Michigan.  The water temperature is only 58 degrees, hopefully any lake breeze kept it cool this morning! Cool

Altair~Welcome back, and belated Happy Birthday! Smile  Good to read about your progress.  You're doing great!

AZ~You are doing a great job acclimating to the Midwest humidity, this year has been really tough!  Twin Cities DB/DSIL are without power until Monday from the storms that rolled through MN on Friday, hope you're okay?

Dan~Hope your family weekend was fun!  The storms that rolled through your area yesterday were intense -- praying everyone is safe.  Re: HM training plan, do you have a time goal for Fox Cities?  IMHO, Your weekly mileage has been great, and just working out in the heat/humidity we've been experiencing is great for building endurance.  I do understand it helps to have a plan, though.

Predictions for near 90 degrees today, so out at 6:30am to get 10 mile run on the bike path.  Most of the out-and-back route is in the shade before 9:00am.  We've had so much rain the last few day, and the humidity was oppressive.  DH (bless his heart) joined me on his bike to provide cold water and company.  It was a beautiful, quiet run with the path to ourselves.  Heading to my favorite state park for a brief camping trip, so planning on running May's HM course during our stay.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Debra - Nice 6 mi tempo and Great soundscape!! 10 mi sunrise run? Sweet!! Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I got a small taste of your humidity and soooo sorry you have to run in it!

Altair - Welcome back and Happy Birthday!! 50 days away and already you are running 7+ and 8+. That is amazing!! You'll get that speed back!

Dan - "anyone but Labron" seems to be a common sentiment! Sounds like party central was your house this weekend. Hope it was fun!

The race was mid-sized, an out and back along the lake front. Everyone was decked in such great bright colors! Nice, easy start. Fleet Feet Chicago is owned by Dave Zimmer and sponsors the race; this was the second year. His wife opened the race explaining how she started running after having a heart attack three years ago. I have never heard a race crowd get so still.

They repeatedly announced that conditions were Red before the start. New system following Boston? Red is the last step before stopping the race. I was thinking it was overkill because it wasn't even 80 degrees; it was only humid. Crossed the mats in 1:53 which is amazing since I start at the back. For example it took 16 min. at the pig.

Lots of groups and pairs of ladies were running together. Although it was not such a big race, it often felt crowded bc the ladies wanted to run beside each other so they'd take up the width of the pavement making passing them a trail trip and then they'd pass really closely (frequent passing is the hazzard of walk/run). I am not a fan of that, although if I were part of the group, I'd probably feel differently. Idk.

Race was otherwise great except for the humidity. It wasn't even 80 degrees but before the first mile was over I had a coating of sweat on both arms.

Forgot my inhaler. Not good bc of the humidity. So, I was feeling strong m1-3. Have had a lot of personal stress at work and it flooded in m4 so I'm thinkng I was tired, stressed, hungry or something. It was a slow mile. Course veered away from the lake after m5 and the humidity or the stress took it's toll. I was on my feet about 4 hrs. the night before shopping. :P (Great high viz yellow tie-dye Nike capris).  So, I struggled keeping up with the intervals through m7. Up to then had only passed about 2 ladies getting first aide but then saw three more in a short period. The combination of that and the oppressive heat and fatigue made me take the switch back early and cut the race short. Thought I was only trimming off a few tenths bc we'd passed 7 and the crowd had caused a lot of weaving but it turned out to be a mile. So it goes.

Right in front of me a lady was running funny but it looked like she might have been playing around trying to stretch out some kinks because she otherwise seemed in control. I passed her, she passed me. About the third time I saw her out of the corner of my eye creeping up on my right but she was weaving sideways so I tried talking to her. She wasn't alright so I took hold or her arm and said, we need to stop for a minute and walked her off the course over to a tree that she grabbed. About five others came to help and took the initiative to call for help so I got back on the course. Not too far up was another woman down and that aide person was on his way toward our lady so I was 1) relieved but 2) scared because the folks down were starting to outnumber the aide workers. And, btw, I saw at least ten ambulances so they were prepared. There were two more ladies being treated after that so I gave up trying to push and walked the last three miles. Before that I was blaming myself for feeling so worn but at that point I was giving in to the humidity. There was a voice though saying I have a lot of work to do to get in better shape.  At this point, many women were walking but at least a third were still jogging and that means I could have done it too with better preparation. My programs say I covered 12 mi. in 2:37:14, 13:05. My PR was 2:59 last year so I woulda had a PR even with the three miles of walking.  Eh, so it goes. I need to build the core and get leaner if I'm going to deal with these temps.

Run happy, easy and light, all!

Mary Kay