50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Smile It has been in the 50s during the night, and 60s/70s during the day, feels less humid but still a cool clamminess to it, less mosquitoes!!  It started out cloudy this morning but mid-day, it was partly sunny into the evening when I went out for my run.  6.2 miles, 1:09.  Trail was still wet but sand/dirt portions were dry.  Been lazy since my last run, last Friday (8.2) but stretching alot, using foam roller to stay limber.  Work is keeping me busy but have been trying to finish painting one of the bedrooms too. DH's toe is so much better.

Ray:  awesome RR, and great finish!!  Family time is so well spent, lucky you!!

Dan:  enjoy your fabulous trip abroad!!

Deb and dyyk and Marie:  good to hear that you each are staying active, and seems like managing the temps the best you can!!

Stay cool, run safe everyone!!

Art in AZ

Not much change in the weather here. Still hot and humid. Like everywhere else, some days are better than others.

Kathy - count me in the 60 and over group

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

R-I-C-E and wore ankle support (neoprene) for most of Wed. and Thursday.  Gentle rain in the afternoon, partly cloudy, pretty good breeze picked up when I decided to go for a run in the evening, road/trail, took it very easy and slow, 1 minute walk breaks with some stretching after each mile, 5.25 miles, 59 minutes.  Don't like to wear ankle support but it kept it stable.  Caution over comfort.  Iced it rest of evening.  Feeling okay.  My other ankle feels more sore than the injured, Roll eyes Joking.  Not sure if I will run today.  We are leaving for ND to visit DH's dad for wkend.

Art:  "humid?"  LOL!!  It's definitely relative in its definition, right? Still running early AM??

Art in AZ

AZ - Hope your ankles feel better soon and enjoy the visit with family. Yes, "humid" is relative in definition and feel. This morning it was very humid. It felt like the kind of humidity you can cut with a knife. No wind, felt clammy right after walking out the door. Can see rain clouds all around also. After a couple of minutes of running was soaked already. Making for a somewhat uncomfortable run with the clothes sticking to me. Wouldn't mind some cooler weather now.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Every so often the stars align and all is right with the world.  This morning was one of those times.  Seven AM, 55 degrees, overcast for the first part, sunny as I was finishing (running west so I wasn't staring into the sun), light breeze.  Five miles nonstop at 10:00 pace, just right.  It made me glad to be a runner.

From the "Sign of the Times" department:  I saw four walkers this morning, all women.  Two were walking together, the third had a Rottweiler and the fourth had a German Shepherd.  Safety in numbers and lots of sharp teeth.

Anneliese is now 11 months old.  We saw her over the 4th of July weekend in Minnesota for my wife's niece's wedding.  A great time to show her off to the rest of the family, including her two great-aunts and lots of cousins, none of whom had seen her except in pictures.  This child was passed from hand to hand and did not mind a bit.  We will see her again in late October when we're there for the Des Moines Marathon.

Randy (Anneliese's daddy) did a Tough Mudder last weekend.  He posted lots of pictures on Facebook before, during and after the event.  Now he wants to do a Warrior Dash.  I don't think crawling through mud pits is on my fun list.

Everyone have a good week of training.

2014 Races:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, May 3, Kenosha, WI

Dam To Dam HM, June 1, Des Moines, IA

Garry Bjorkman Half Marathon, June 21, Duluth, MN

Des Moines (Half) Marathon, October 19 (registered)

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

az. sorry to hear about your ankle. I too despise to wear the ankle supports, but I do when I''m trail running. They give extra support. My right ankle has been a bit wonky lately. The tendon ( I think) will tighten and seem to get stuck, then about a half mile into my run, it will pop....hurts like the dickens momentarily, and then is fine. I've tried lots of different stretches and strength exercises and figure it will get better on its own soon. I hope you heal soon!

Steve, its great to hear from you. Don't you just love those runs when all the stars align. Tks for keeping us up to date on the little princess.

I had a  good 5 mile run this morning, using 60 sec run/30 second  walk. Avg pace 10:15. Best mile was 9:38. After eating like a starving maniac at a family reunion, I figured I would be weighted down, but the temp was cool and it was good.

Time is drawing close for Disney Dumbo Double Dare....30 days or so. Considering it will be a run for fun event for DD & me, I'm feeling good about it. DD's work/family schedule doesn't allow her the training time that she needs, but as we all know that young whippersnappers can get by w/ a lot less than we older runners can. Roll eyes

Have a great week all of my mighty master friends!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Returned from a wknd in ND visiting DH's dad.  Ran Saturday evening, 10.2 miles, 1:40.  Temps in the mid 60's, low humidity, cool breeze, great running weather.  Ankle sore but took 1 minute walk breaks, it loosened up after each half mile start.  Iced it when I got home.  Feels good, not worried about it too much.  Like I mentioned, it's an old injury from playing basketball/volleyball since 5th grade into college.  It just 'knows' it has to bounce back sooner or later, LOL!!  Happy that I ran my planned 3 days; total miles was 21.6 miles, yah!!  Didn't have time to run this morning, 5 hrs drive home so too tired and hungry. Hope to run 4 days this week.

Steve:  glad to hear from you!!! And such a proud grandpa!!  OMgoodness, gorgeous grandbaby and already so grown up!!!  Her daddy is one tough mudder, and like you, not a challenge I care to do. Glad you are still keeping up with your running, and such an awesome feeling on your description of your morning run!!  I wait for those blue moons, LOL!!  We share a love for grandbabies: I can't wait to see/hug our granddaughters too (Katie is 2.5 yr, and Bella is 7 mos old) when DH and I visit AZ in a couple of weeks!!

Marie:  So tell us about your upcoming run!!  You flying to CA or FL for that?  Another shared event with DD, lucky you!!  You're an inspiration!!

Stay cool, safe and summer is almost over!!!

justrundan

The wedding & reception went very well & were pretty amazing. Wedding totally different than American of course, reception more flamboyant & colorful. Will try to post more complete report of trip when I have a keyboard. The only other thing to say now is the traffic in major city (& everywhere) is full-freaking CRAZY!!! Shocked  DD tried to prepare us, so we weren't totally freaked.

I'll just say this, the horn is essential to any trip and is used very frequently!!  But no road rage.

No running for me yet, not sure if I'll get it in or not. Your reports encourage me!

run well & enjoy!

Dan

Made it out the door much later than planned but still got in some decent miles, 5.1 miles, 53 minutes. Ankle feeling great, didn't wear ankle support.  Cooler temps making it nice running weather, low humidity with the breeze and overcast sky but still trying to outrun those pesty skeeters!!

Smile  8.1 miles, 1:24, yay!!  Nice, steady tempo run with at least 6 miles on trail, about 30 seconds walk break after each mile.  Breezy day made for less humidity, and cooler temps due to scattered clouds.  Oh, the mile to and from the trail, I have to run on frontage road; it was/will be busy with traffic for the annual county fair today till Sunday!!!  Stinky poo!! Wink from the horses, cows, etc. Made me run faster last half mile, LOL!!

Dan:  good to hear from you!!  Can't wait for the trip report with photos Wink.  Living life fully on a trip with spouse is much more memorable than running.  Enjoy!!

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

My ankle has been a bit wonky the last month or so. The lateral tendon or ligament would hurt a little for about a mile or less into my run, then it would  pop (release) and  then no more pain.  Today was a different story. I wore my old Newton Gravity that are worn on the outside lugs (I'm a supinator). I had put a bit of shoe guu on them to hopefully get a few more miles. (They only have about 200 miles on them).

On today's run the release never happened and the ankle started hurting more than usual. I cut the run off at 3.5 miles and then walked another .6 w the dog.

The ankle doesn't seem to be swollen, but it is sore. I've iced, stretched, and did ankle rotations.  Since I've got the Disney Dumbo Double Dare coming up in less than a month, I think I'll take a couple days off and see if the soreness clears up.

Other than tossing the shoes and continuing w/ the ankle rotations, calf stretch/raises, & icing, does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom? Advise is appreciated.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

"The cracking you hear when you are moving around is just the snapping and stretching of the tissue lining your joints - normally. This can be heard more-so after strenuous activities. Also, if you've had ankle injuries in the past, a popping sound is very common after ankle injuries.
                          However, if you experience a tendon snapping over one of your anklebones when you make quick cutting motions or walk down stairs, you may have a condition called subluxation or dislocation of your tendons. A subluxation is when your tendons jump out of their normal position and than move back. It's rarely painful and fixes itself generally right away. A dislocation is when these tendons move out and you may have to actually push them back into place. (You would definitely know if this happened, as you would be in a great deal of pain!)"

Marie:  A running/soccer playing friend sent me this (she found it 'somewhere').   I can relate to the occasional 'popping' noise in my ankles and knees now and then, no pain but as a preventive (and I've mentioned this now and then), I R-I-C-E after each run.  Hope you find relief soon.

WDWRich

Hi All.

DW and I are back from our visit to Tennessee.  Had a wonderful visit with family, especially our new one-month old grandson!  Weather was nicer than one would normally expect- no rain, temps in the mid 80's and lower than normal humidity.  Gave my Achilles a rest by not running at all for 10 days, but did do two trail walks of approx. 2 miles each.  Unfortunately, the soreness has not decreased.  Have a doctor appointment set for Monday morning.  In the interim, I'll get some cardio work on my bike.  Just 4 weeks until the Disneyland HM.  It's not looking good.  Sad

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

5.1 miles, 50 minutes.  Wanted to run more but started about 1/2 hr later than planned and DH wanted to have dinner out.  Good steady run again, 1 minute walk break at 2.5 mile point, cloudy day in the evening, humid but tolerable, ran on different route that DH rides his dirt bike on now and then, mostly dirt packed, nice shaded areas.

Rich:  I hope it's not too serious.  Smart to stay off it as you did and to get it checked.  Took me a few months for the healing to take place.  I really hope you still run the HM.

Art in AZ

Marie - Is that mileage normal for those shoes? That seems incredibly short.

Rich - Hopefully the doctor can help with the foot. You can still do the Disneyland HM. Just make it a fun run and enjoy the atmosphere.

AZ - Nice that the weather is a little more enjoyable. Any races planned in the AZ area?

Dan - Looking forward to the reports also.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ