50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Art in AZ

Well it's been a while. A change in plans and schedule did a number on my running. For October I had a total of 45 miles running. It's been several years that I have had a monthly total that low. Trying to get running in when I can. It's nice to hear others race accomplishments. Hopefully I can get more running in.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

YIPPEE!! Smile  Didn't want to wimp out again so out the door ......later than planned.  About 34 degrees, no wind, cloudy, took dog and ran the all dirt trail around the county fairgrounds, half way to lake, around fairgrounds again and back home to take dog back.  He doesn't do well with traffic and I don't like to pull on him constantly with the leash.  Ran a lap around neighborhood (half paved/half dirt), to mailbox and back (1/2 mile), finished about 6 miles!! Nice, quiet, slow and steady run!!  Felt great!! Leg muscles missed the tough trail running, but not road running.   DH and I are attending a banquet on the 16th in Fargo with family.  There's a United Way sponsored 10k Turkey Trot about an hour away, east of Fargo (in MN). Rather run the 10k than the 5k (in Fargo), same day.  Depends on the weather though.  It's getting colder here with 20s at night, BRRRR!!

Art:  Did you run the Peoria HM?  Glad to hear from you, I hope to maintain my mileage base throughout the winter months up here, gonna be tough. I just have such a difficult time getting on a TM, ugh!!

Hi all:

Kinda quiet on this thread!! Hope all is well with everyone!

It snowed most of the day and night Friday, woke up to a winter wonderland Saturday morning and no motivation to run in the dreary, cold, windy, frigid temps!!  Last run was last Tuesday (6 miles on dirt road, and around paved neighborhood).  Felt great and under an hour.  My leg muscles and ankles are totally confused and they feel like they are in the process of atrophy!!!  I can feel it, LOL!!  So I couldn't wimp out anymore and paid to use the local university gym.  Ran around the indoor track.  7 LAPS = 1 mile.  Ran about 6.5 miles, which is just over 45 laps!!  Pace between 9:30-9:50.  Can't believe I did it, was bored out of my skull but mentally, kept it in check by taking 30 second walk break every 5 laps. 1 mile elliptical, 20 minute weights.  Good run!!

justrundan

Hi everyone!

The 10K Saturday was tough!  I kind of did it as an add on after the last HM, without specific training.  It was cloudy, 44 and winds 20-30 mph!  I have run this course 2 years ago, but should have used it for training this fall.  I forgot about the hills (not like your hills, AZ!) in the last mile, and they were right into the wind.  If I do it next year I'll work harder on speed and on hills, for sure!  Shocked  Forgot to punch the button on my Garmin right away, so not sure of my exact time yet, hasn't been posted.  It was either just under of just over 1:02.  2 years  ago I was just under 1:06, so I'll take the PR.  I think 10K may be my least favorite distance, this is only the third I've done.  I did get second in my age group; yes, you guessed it, there were 2 of us in the 60-69 group!

AZ- The gym or health club is a good option this time of year; have you looked into racing snowshoes or cross country skiing as an alternative to regular running to keep fit in the frozen north you live in.  Hang in there!

Haven't found out much more details about registration for the Run Away to the Bay next April other than it opens on 12/1.  As soon as I find out more, like cost, I'll let all the mid-Westerners on here know.  We probably have enough over 40's to run in the Masters division!

Have a good week!  Run strong.

Dan

AZ- The gym or health club is a good option this time of year; have you looked into racing snowshoes or cross country skiing as an alternative to regular running to keep fit in the frozen north you live in.  Hang in there!

Haven't found out much more details about registration for the Run Away to the Bay next April other than it opens on 12/1.  As soon as I find out more, like cost, I'll let all the mid-Westerners on here know.  We probably have enough over 40's to run in the Masters division!

Smile  CONGRATS DAN!!  No matter the distance, other weather elements can make any race so much tougher!!  WAY TO GO on pushing through the wind!! YAY on 2nd place in your AG!! Smile   I don't care for 'sprints' like 5k/10k distance either, and seems like the fee is just as pricey as the mid/long distances.  Having said that, DH and I will be in Fargo for a banquet (with his uncle/cousin car racing team) on Saturday, the 16th.  I found a 10k turkey trot about an hour away (MN side) which I would like to run in rather than the 5k in Fargo.  They are the only races around!!  Obviously, there aren't too many mid/long distance races up here when winter sets (same in northern AZ) so runners head down to the Phoenix area.  I understand that, and I wouldn't want to be out in the frigid cold/windy gusts here for training anyway.  So yes, the only alternative is to go indoors which has been so difficult for me since moving here.  Running 45 laps indoors just to get 6.5 miles was a mental challenge which I have to say, makes me wonder if I can tough out at least 10 miles.  Will find out.  I like to try to maintain a 10 mile base mileage throughout the next couple of months.  Funny that you mentioned cross country skiing and snowshoeing!  I was just talking about that with DH.  It sure would help in my staying conditioned. I use to do that when we lived in North Dakota.  Also, we use to ride our snow mobiles in the middle of the night, over the frozen lakes, through the woods to meet with others at the US/Canadian line to play darts and bowl!!  Crazy times!!  I need to get through NOV and DEC here somehow, ugh!! It's been snowing ALL DAY, it's dreary, windy and sooo cold, about 15 degrees!! The ARTIC BLAST.  Even our dog doesn't want to go outside, haha!!

We have snow EVERYWHERE since Friday and today the sun finally came out, YAY!!  It's only about 5 degrees (feels like zero according to the weather site) but it's suppose to 'warm up' to around 40 degrees (feels like 32).  I am going to join a gym during the winter months, and try snowshoeing and get back to cross-country skiing.  I have to keep the winter blues/blahs at a distance ..........till May?!?  Not wanting to pay another $7, I'm gonna tough out a run later this afternoon, I would be happy with a 4 miler!!

WDWRich

Greetings Friends!

Just a quick check-in today- it has been relatively quiet on this board lately.

Dan - Nice job on the 10k.  Running up hill into the wind must have been challenging.

AZ - Snow is pretty, but not fun to run in.  I'm sure you'll find something to do to work the legs and cardio though.

Planned to run 8 miles this past Saturday.  Headed out just after dawn with DW on her bike.  Clear skies and 49 degrees, so it was great for running.  We ended up taking a slightly different route, so the total was 7.5 miles instead of 8.  Still a fine way to start the day.

Opted out of the 10k on Thanksgiving morning since DD won't be able to get here quite early enough.  When she and her family get here, she and I will run our own 10k on the route I've mapped out in my area.  My next official race will probably be the Resolution 15k in January.  Ran it last year and enjoyed it.  It's a nice flat course around Mission Bay and Fiesta Island.

Cheers!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Big grin So it wasn't getting any warmer as predicted, got my lazy bod out the door, about 30 degrees (feels like 20), slight breeze, layered running gear was perfect throughout!!  Sun came and went, but peeked out behind the hazy clouds, got more 'chilly' the last mile but it was invigorating!!  Ran the dirt road towards the lake and around the fairgrounds ............all snow packed, great workout, ran that 'loop' twice, and finished with a lap around the neighborhood.  The 'just run about 4 miles and see how it feels" turned into 8.2 miles!!  YIPPEE!!

Rich:  bummer about opting out of your race but the time to run with daughter sounds more enjoyable!!  Memories like that lasts longer too! Still great mileage on Sat. am run with DW on bike to keep you company.  You'll be more than ready to rock the Jan. race!!  The course sounds like it's part of the course used for the annual RnR.  I ran the FM RnR in 2011.  The heat was intense for this mountain trail runner.  All I (and DH) remember are the pics of my blisters on feet and the side of my poor big toe with its bloodfilled blister; lovely shades of purple!!

Deb:  where are you? Hope all is well.

Crazy Diamond

Hi all!

I'm getting some nice, easy miles in between all the craziness at work.  Unable to do a Thanksgiving Day race with the family like last year due to other commitments.  But think I'll take a cue from Rich and map out our own race in the neighborhood!  Running a 10k race at the end of the month.  It is the second of the Winter Running Series, missed their first race because of the relay.  Bummer, I won't get a "raced 'em all" sweatshirt this year!

AZ~The early snow and cold has been difficult to get used to, but you didn't give up and you did 8 miles with gusto! Big grin

Rich~Have fun running the inaugural "Rich's Turkey Day 10k" with your daughter.Cool

Dan~Hills + Cold + Wind = a 10k PR! Smile CONGRATULATIONS, you toughed it out buddy!   It's great the Winter Race Series offers both 5k and 10k distances, since the event schedule gets slim until April.

Art~Great hearing from you, again.  Sometimes it's good to take a break.  Enjoy running in the cooler weather! Smile

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Big grin  I couldn't wait to go for a run today!!  What's wrong with me?!? LOL!!  It was sunny for a couple of hours and saw that the predicted high temp would be around 40 degrees between 1-2 pm (as usual).  As I was getting done with work, the clouds begin to set in and my heart begin to sink just as quickly.  I still got dressed and decided to avoid the muddy, slushy dirt road near home so I drove to the paved bike trail along the lake. It was a wonderful brisk afternoon and it felt great to bask in the solitude for most of the miles.  Temp stayed around 40 degrees (felt like 35), slight breeze.  Ran on snowy, slushy patches and found a different x-country trail with a couple of nice hills, should have ran in my trail shoes!!  Finished about 7 mile, YAY!!

The 10k Turkey Trot on Saturday (near Fargo, ND) is still a go, predicted weather conditions: rain! Morning temps at the time of the race (9am) will most likely be much colder than the predicted high of 40 degrees, BRRRR!!

There is a 5k Turkey Trot the end of the month here, don't feel 'excited' about that distance so I'm just going to let the weather dictate my motivation Roll eyes Joking.

Stay warm and safe everyone!!

justrundan

Rich- that 15K in January sounds nice!  And I like the idea of having your own local 10K.  Great idea.

Deb- enjoy the rest of the racing series this winter!

AZ- nice 7 miles; keep it up, you'll get used to this winter weather!  Big grin

4.6 miles this morning, about 33 degrees and calm, so the wind didn't play a factor.  I ran in town before a meeting @ work on my day off; now off to do errands and maybe a double this afternoon?  DW and I and another couple are going to the local production of Shrek tonight.  should be fun.

have a safe and strong weekend .

Dan

justrundan

I did get the double in Friday; added 6.2 mi to the morning run; it was low 50's and sunny Friday afternoon.  Yesterday it was warm and drizzly, so I went to a local state park and ran 6.7 on the trails there.  It was so quiet it the woods, just beautiful.  Rest day today!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Hope all MW'ers are safe after Sunday's severe weather.

Dan~Nice work on the double day!  Love those quiet, peaceful miles in the woods, too.  Hope you enjoyed "SHREK".  Our children's theater production was wonderful last year.

AZ~Hope the 10k went well, and it wasn't too windy for it on Saturday.

On jury duty this week.  Got in a nice 4.5 miles after leaving the courthouse last night.  Two hour break for lunch today!  The judicial wheels turn ever sooooo slooowly. Utilized the long break with a brisk 5 mile walk to the lakefront and back.  It was 40F, sunny and no wind.  The fresh air and views of the lake were just what I needed to help sit through more hours and hours of testimony!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Hi everyone!!  The planned 10k or second plan of 5k didn't happen Sad  It's okay though.  DH didn't feel like traveling Friday night to Fargo even though I offered to drive.  He suggested we leave about 5:30 am Saturday!?!   Didn't want to rush and for a 5k or 10k, not worth it IMO.  We spent the weekend there anyway with DH's uncle and cousin at a banquet for their end of the year drag racing season.  DH's dad and niece, most of the racers from Canada attended.  OMgoodness, such mild temps there compared to northern MN!!  But so many shoppers and traffic!!  In the meantime, I'm trying to embrace the cold here.

Did I mention I got a 1 month free membership to the local fitness center?  Went there yesterday (Tues).  10 minutes on elliptical, then ran 8.2 interval miles on the dreadmill, another 10 minutes on elliptical, 1 mile on bike, 20 minutes weights/core exercises!!  Wiped out, awesome workout!! 

Today, the sun came out for about 4 hrs, YAY!!  Artic blasts predicted for next few days so I took advantage of the 'scorching' temps of 35 degrees (feels like 25 though) today!!  The beautiful sun tempts me to run outdoors!!  Drove to the paved bike trail along the lake this time.  I ran the paved bike trail, then the dirt trail, turned around and ran a different route of the paved trail which has 3 different cross-country ski trails with various degrees of 'hills,' similar to a typical exit ramp I suppose.  But one of the 3 'hills' is shorter but a tad steeper.  I ran up and jogged down until it was a mile, then headed back as it got more cloudy and colder!!  I was kinda shivering by the time I got back to the truck.  An invigorating run again!!  2 days in a row, 15.2 miles, yippee!!

Deb:  so good to hear from you!!  Jury duty!!  And still getting some runs in, way to go!!  When I lived in AZ, I was just so lucky to be summoned for jury duty almost every year!!  Didn't get chosen each time though.  So same day, I bought one lottery ticket, no luck there either, LOL!! 

Dan:  WAY TO GO on the double run!! Those are tough to work into any schedule!!  I get all gung-ho about doing a double but i get too lazy and/or busy in the afternoon.  With my access to a fitness ctr during cold snaps, I shouldn't have any excuse ..........uh-huh!  

About 10 degrees here, feels like 5 degrees with wind chill.  Drove to fitness ctr. ran 6.2 interval miles in 60 minutes at 3% incline, slowed down to 5.5 speed at 8% incline till I reached 7 miles, tough!! but made it!!  10 minutes on elliptical, 20 minutes on weights/core exercises, WHEW!!  DH swam and we met for dinner, yummy!!  YAY, Spurs won against the Grizzlies!! Minus whatever degrees here for the night, BRRRR!!  So far this week:  22.2 miles!!  YIPPEE!!